Giles recalled (1 Viewer)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I wouldn’t even count Allen, his only decent performances have come playing deeper.

Considering we started the season with something like 8 AMs (O’Hare, Jones, Jobello, Hilßner, Kasta, Shipley, Allen, Bapaga), the fact none of them are up to scratch is a concern.

Yes absolutely. It really is worrying and our biggest problem.

With injuries to strikers and questions over the ability of the remaining it is no wonder we are so shit at attacking.

mark82

I wouldn’t even count Allen, his only decent performances have come playing deeper.

Considering we started the season with something like 8 AMs (O’Hare, Jones, Jobello, Hilßner, Kasta, Shipley, Allen, Bapaga), the fact none of them are up to scratch is a concern.

Wouldn't say O'Hare isn't up to scratch. He's played pretty well, does a lot of good for the team, just needs to work on that end product. Jones, Jobello, Hillßner all been injured so hard to judge those. Bapaga is only just breaking through so shouldn't be putting too much pressure/expectation on him. Shipley and Allen have been a bit disappointing but both had good games. I do wonder if the plan was to play with 2 up front but injuries have prevented us from doing so up to this point.

cc84cov

The names listed at impact Subs at this level at best

D

Deleted member 11652

Yes absolutely. It really is worrying and our biggest problem.

With injuries to strikers and questions over the ability of the remaining it is no wonder we are so shit at attacking.

So it has to be asked why have we brought in Matty James and then paid out for a lwb and not addressed the problems in attacking midfield.

shmmeee

Wouldn't say O'Hare isn't up to scratch. He's played pretty well, does a lot of good for the team, just needs to work on that end product. Jones, Jobello, Hillßner all been injured so hard to judge those. Bapaga is only just breaking through so shouldn't be putting too much pressure/expectation on him. Shipley and Allen have been a bit disappointing but both had good games. I do wonder if the plan was to play with 2 up front but injuries have prevented us from doing so up to this point.

I don’t think O’Hare is enough. His end product isn’t there and he’d be great as a second AM in the box, but on his own it’s too much responsibility.

I think we’ve been unlucky with Jones, Hilßner and Jobello and as you say Bapaga is only breaking through. But for me we either needed better backup strikers so we could always play two up front or better AMs to play the box and instead we collected LWB loanees and CMs.

steve cooper

What's worse is MR has now committed to keeping Baka until the end of the season, so he remains part of MR's attacking plans. What we have at the moment is a relatevely unquantified loanee, and injured Biamou, and Bakayoko to choose from.
I have a feeling that Baka will play at some point tomorrow though, and have one of his rare decent games.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Sounds like Robins didn’t really want this to happen, and I do think it weakens our already threadbare attack. Leaving Giles out of the match day squad is an indication of Robins’ mind set, defense being the priority. I don’t think we’ll miss him, because I don’t think he would have had much game time in the second half of the season anyway. Still, disappointing overall.

But this situation was more than likely if MR wasn't picking him and in the lat game left him out altogether. He should have forseen that Wolves would want to recall him if he wasn't playing and given him more game time, esp in games against teams of a similar standard to us where we should be looking to attack more. Instead he's approached them far too cautiously and IMO we've left points on the field against close rivals because we've not been willing to have more of a go at them.

I'd have thought he'd have wanted to do so just in case Sam got recalled by Norwich, esp as they were having a lot of injuries to deal with.

If MR isn't happy with it he's only really got himslef to blame for lacking the foresight that this was a more than likley outcome the way he was utilising Giles.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

So it has to be asked why have we brought in Matty James and then paid out for a lwb and not addressed the problems in attacking midfield.

At the moment my main thought is Hamer pushing up to assist O'hare. He's got the passing ability to thread through balls and allow O'Hare to play the more dynamic AM role. Plus he's got a good shot on him.

Esoterica

Maybe Hamer will go to Right wing back when we sell Dabo on the last day of the transfer window to cover running costs, and James will play alongside Sheaf. :devilish:

better days

Let's be realistic
We rushed Godden back too soon and if we have no other options then it will probably happen again, same with Walker
So many football fans just say 'get rid' of their favourite scapegoats but without saying what their club should do if they don't have a ready replacement for that particular player
Baka doesn't have a bad attitude and wants to do well
Maybe he's not up to Championship standard but if the lad can fluke a goal it would do his confidence the world of good
And give our main forwards the chance to recover properly for the business part of the season when we may be fighting to stay in the division

ccfcricoh

Obviously the right thing to do as Sam is preferred and too many loans.

Giles is more dangerous going forwards i think, but if our attacking midfielders start pulling their weight Sam is the obvious choice for wing back

Just hope we dont miss the attacking option as i think Giles would do a job in the O'Hare/Shipley slot to mix it up, but obviously Wolves may not want him playing there!

Brighton Sky Blue

Let's be realistic
We rushed Godden back too soon and if we have no other options then it will probably happen again, same with Walker
So many football fans just say 'get rid' of their favourite scapegoats but without saying what their club should do if they don't have a ready replacement for that particular player
Baka doesn't have a bad attitude and wants to do well
Maybe he's not up to Championship standard but if the lad can fluke a goal it would do his confidence the world of good
And give our main forwards the chance to recover properly for the business part of the season when we may be fighting to stay in the division

I don’t see a good attitude from Baka when he’s on the pitch to be honest

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Not to do with this post but in the night I heard Tim Vickery say that a class act Moises Caicedo is joining Brighton and being loaned out to Tony Bloom's Belgium team. I have noticed they are romping their league just thought it might be worth Mr. Robin asking the question if he could possibly come on loan to us (cheeky I know) but he would gain a better introduction playing for us than a team in Belgium.

Warwickhunt

But this situation was more than likely if MR wasn't picking him and in the lat game left him out altogether. He should have forseen that Wolves would want to recall him if he wasn't playing and given him more game time, esp in games against teams of a similar standard to us where we should be looking to attack more. Instead he's approached them far too cautiously and IMO we've left points on the field against close rivals because we've not been willing to have more of a go at them.

I'd have thought he'd have wanted to do so just in case Sam got recalled by Norwich, esp as they were having a lot of injuries to deal with.

If MR isn't happy with it he's only really got himslef to blame for lacking the foresight that this was a more than likley outcome the way he was utilising Giles.
Norwich have just signed a new Left Back from Germany(i think) for about 4.5million so there was no chance of a Mccallum recall.

shepardo01

There is no doubt that he could get forward and put balls into the box.
We could not utilise that (yes, there is the defensive balance issue also...) due to our formation (generally one up) and the type of forward we have....
I feel he will fit into Rotherhams style of play, and be very effective!!!

PVA

Oh god yes. So much this.

We don't have the money to go out and buy someone better than Godden or Walker. Nor do we have the money to go out and improve our fourth choice striker.

I don't know why it's so hard for some people to grasp that the fourth choice striker of the team with the second lowest budget in the league is not championship level. Deal with it and give the bloke a break.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Norwich have just signed a new Left Back from Germany(i think) for about 4.5million so there was no chance of a Mccallum recall.

But at the time of their injury crisis they hadn't and the chances of a recall in Jan must have been quite high, regardless of any assurances given because situations change.

Even so, they was still the entirely forseeable outcome of Giles being recalled for lack of game time leaving us with a single left sided defensive player, a loanee, who was, at the time, of a decent probability of recall in Jan due to injuries.

DannyThomas_1981

It's amazing we're relying on our defenders to create chances for them and not our attacking midfielders.

I see what you are saying Dreamer and agree that we're not creating enough through our AMs.

Equally it's key in our system that the WBs attack and create chances - exactly what Dabo and Giles (when he played) do well.

Users who are viewing this thread