George Floyd (3 Viewers)

chiefdave

Bernie lost. Get over it.
You can see them going down the same road as Labour here. The Sanders, Warren, Harris and Bloomberg supporters in particular seem unwilling to accept and support another candidate. Rather than all getting behind Biden as the best of the available options they'd rather shoot themselves in the foot.

Maybe events of the last few days will cause them to focus on getting Trump out.

Liquid Gold

Man the right are good at getting the left to adopt their attack lines. You and BSB are indistinguishable from the alt-right whenever Biden comes up. Bernie lost. Get over it.
I really don't think being concerned that the alternative will not solve the major systemic issue at hand is an 'attack line'.

Liquid Gold

You can see them going down the same road as Labour here. The Sanders, Warren, Harris and Bloomberg supporters in particular seem unwilling to accept and support another candidate. Rather than all getting behind Biden as the best of the available options they'd rather shoot themselves in the foot.

Maybe events of the last few days will cause them to focus on getting Trump out.
The problem with that is that with the Dems identifying as the 'left' party in the states if Biden, very much a centre right candidate, did win the election then America really has the choice to stay there or go further to the right with a republican in 4 years time. None of it is going to solve the issue.

NorthernWisdom

The problem with that is that with the Dems identifying as the 'left' party in the states if Biden, very much a centre right candidate, did win the election then America really has the choice to stay there or go further to the right with a republican in 4 years time. None of it is going to solve the issue.
Nah, Biden's old enough he'd be a one-term president at best.

chiefdave

Nah, Biden's old enough he'd be a one-term president at best.
Seems to be a lot of pressure for him to have Warren as his running mate but she'll be 74 at the next election. Unlikely she'd be able to do 8 years after him.

What is it with so many of the candidates being old since Obama?

Liquid Gold

Seems to be a lot of pressure for him to have Warren as his running mate but she'll be 74 at the next election. Unlikely she'd be able to do 8 years after him.

They must be waiting for some of the younger ones to get experience. I’d expect AOC and Beto to put strong campaigns in 4/8 years.

shmmeee

I really don't think being concerned that the alternative will not solve the major systemic issue at hand is an 'attack line'.

Saying he’s racist and dodgy around women is.

You’re letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. Would you rather BLM are lobbying a Biden government or a Trump one?

Liquid Gold

Saying he’s racist and dodgy around women is.

You’re letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. Would you rather BLM are lobbying a Biden government or a Trump one?
It’s far from perfect to expect someone without his history to be the other option. How far are BLM going to get with someone that suggested police shoot them in the leg instead of the chest?

This is leftist absolutism either, id happily get behind someone with his politics to remove Trump if he hadn’t shown a history of racism and misconduct. Voting for the least bad racist is a zero sum game.

shmmeee

It’s far from perfect to expect someone without his history to be the other option. How far are BLM going to get with someone that suggested police shoot them in the leg instead of the chest?

This is leftist absolutism either, id happily get behind someone with his politics to remove Trump if he hadn’t shown a history of racism and misconduct. Voting for the least bad racist is a zero sum game.

What history of racism? You’re taking one or two vague comments and spinning them into something. That’s what I mean about right wing attack lines. He’s fine. He’s just not your chosen candidate. Making out he’s some racist rapist monster is just sour grapes with no proof to back it up.

BLM will get much much further campaigning a Democrat government than a Republican one and you know it. It’s absolutely ridiculous to pretend otherwise.

Ian1779

The establishment wants people it can coerce and control - this tends to be in the older candidates. If they wanted to find a way to unite the party (and I don’t think they do) they could have one of the younger up and comers from the left as his running mate. Someone that could engage and inspire younger voters.

Liquid Gold

What history of racism? You’re taking one or two vague comments and spinning them into something. That’s what I mean about right wing attack lines. He’s fine. He’s just not your chosen candidate. Making out he’s some racist rapist monster is just sour grapes with no proof to back it up.

BLM will get much much further campaigning a Democrat government than a Republican one and you know it. It’s absolutely ridiculous to pretend otherwise.
So it's a case of listen to back people in America and what they want until I disagree with it then.

I Won't Vote for Joe Biden, the Lesser Racist, Until I Have To in November

Nick

Administrator
Just to split hairs...I don't think not being racist is enough.
It goes much further than people posting videos of themselves kneeling to be on the trend.

Treat everybody the same regardless of race or skin colour. If everybody applied those rules it would be much simpler.

shmmeee

So it's a case of listen to back people in America and what they want until I disagree with it then.

I Won't Vote for Joe Biden, the Lesser Racist, Until I Have To in November

Listen to that one specific black Bernie Bro who agrees with you. Don’t use black people as a human shield for your shitty takes. You want to talk black endorsements, you can’t get much better than Obama.

Take the “my black friend” out of it, your case for him being a racist is weak at best and only put about by his opponents.

I just find it ridiculous to watch what’s happening in the states right now and then to try and pretend Trump is no worse than a guy who has dedicated his life to progressive politics. Student level politics at its very worst.

Liquid Gold

Listen to that one specific black Bernie Bro who agrees with you. Don’t use black people as a human shield for your shitty takes. You want to talk black endorsements, you can’t get much better than Obama.

Take the “my black friend” out of it, your case for him being a racist is weak at best and only put about by his opponents.

I just find it ridiculous to watch what’s happening in the states right now and then to try and pretend Trump is no worse than a guy who has dedicated his life to progressive politics. Student level politics at its very worst.
Mate, the guy literally says he didn’t want to vote for Bernie and preferred other options. Bernie bro. Fucking hell.

I didn’t say he was no worse either. I specifically said he was least worse, still bad. You’re doing that thing where you project an argument on me that you’ve had in some other corner of the internet and argue against points I haven’t made.

FWIW I think the main problem to progressive politics is the senate allowing two delegates from each state with true blue California, population 39m 4th largest economy in the world getting the same representation as Wyoming, population little more than Coventry economy of some roadside corn selling.

Liquid Gold

Also mega fucking lolz at this

“talk black endorsements, you can’t get much better than Obama.

Take the “my black friend” out of it”

clint van damme

Biden's career is littered with misjudgements that could be construed as racist but at best show he hasn't got a grip on race issues.
Just the other week he said that blacks who vote for trump aren't really black, I mean what the fuck?

You're right to say we shouldn't pretend he's as bad as trump but the group of people we can say are as bad as trump is minute.
I hope he beats trump because the man is a fucking danger to the world and hopefully Biden will have Obama to guide him. Not that I'm a great fan of his but again, compared to Trump.

hill83

Another virtue signalling thing for people to do on their doorstep? Kneel at a certain time.

Just don't be racist , much more effective.

Won’t be doing the doorstep thing myself and this comment is more about what you said in the coronavirus thread.

But if you call any of these protests virtue signalling you are an arsehole and part of the problem as far as I’m concerned.

Were you “virtue signalling” when you went on the Cov City March into town a few years back? (Assuming you went on it). Just because you reckon you’ve got it all figured out and don’t give a fuck about it doesn’t mean that’s the case for other people.

“Just don’t be racist” er....fucking exactly what we are saying.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Won’t be doing the doorstep thing myself and this comment is more about what you said on the coronavirus thread.

But if you call any of these protests virtue signalling you are an arsehole and part of the problem as far as I’m concerned.

Were you “virtue signalling” when you went on the Cov City March into town a few years back? (Assuming you went on it). Just because you reckon you’ve got it all figured out and don’t give a fuck about it doesn’t mean that’s the case for other people.

“Just don’t be racist” er....fucking exactly what we are saying.

My point is to just not be racist, doesn't matter that Sharon from Essex filmed herself kneeling to post on Facebook.

Of course people will feel strongly about it. I'm not saying I have everything figured out, just don't need to film myself or clap so many times at a certain time to justify it.

It's easy to say "don't be racist", of course it is. It's just once clapping the NHS or kneeling has been watered down then some people will be onto the next thing. Completely disregarding the point and what it is actually about and people in the NHS and victims racism etc.

Guess I'm trying to say is that it invalidates the cause a bit with certain things, institutional racism is wrong and should be acknowledged and be dealt with. It's not a bandwagon (for some) to be jumped on. By some I mean people who in a few weeks will be shouting something else or clapping somebody else at night, completely forgetting evening else.

Last edited:

hill83

My point is to just not be racist, doesn't matter that Sharon from Essex filmed herself kneeling to post on Facebook.

Of course people will feel strongly about it. I'm not saying I have everything figured out, just don't need to film myself or clap so many times at a certain time to justify it.

Talking about the people you alluded to in Hyde Park. And you’ve obviously not taken any notice of it, but simply not being racist isn’t enough and that’s the point at the moment.

What I tend to do if I don’t know enough about a particular subject is leave it or ask questions rather than piling in with answers I’ve made up.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

One thing I don't get about people gathering in Hyde Park is that they are more likely to contract Coronavirus and the people who they are protesting on behalf of are those most likely to suffer medically if they pick it up as a result. I understand that it is 2 completely different issues, but I am surprised that this hasn't been addressed. Apologies if social distancing has been maintained at the event (but suspect it won't have been, as per beach tourists)

hill83

One thing I don't get about people gathering in Hyde Park is that they are more likely to contract Coronavirus and the people who they are protesting on behalf of are those most likely to suffer medically if they pick it up as a result. I understand that it is 2 completely different issues, but I am surprised that this hasn't been addressed. Apologies if social distancing has been maintained at the event (but suspect it won't have been, as per beach tourists)

Yeah it’s not come at the best time. Can’t defend the lack of social distancing so I won’t even attempt to.

hill83

Better explained following your edits Nick. Diving about saying “virtue signalling” is up there with “all lives matter” so yes it pissed me off.

I can only hope this is serious for all the people protesting and not something to do for a bit because this is people’s lives we are talking about.

Nick

Administrator
Talking about the people you alluded to in Hyde Park. And you’ve obviously not taken any notice of it, but simply not being racist isn’t enough and that’s the point at the moment.

What I tend to do if I don’t know enough about a particular subject is leave it or ask questions rather than piling in with answers I’ve made up.
I haven't made anything up. I said about people gathering and the Corona stuff. The same as when people were stood on a bridge.

I'm not going to say I know as much about it as somebody who has been a victim of it or deals with the struggle ever day but it kind of goes with what I'm saying. If I start kneeling down to get some Facebook likes or shouting black lives matter then I'm not helping anything apart from making myself feel better.

clint van damme

I haven't made anything up. I said about people gathering and the Corona stuff. The same as when people were stood on a bridge.

I'm not going to say I know as much about it as somebody who has been a victim of it or deals with the struggle ever day but it kind of goes with what I'm saying. If I start kneeling down to get some Facebook likes or shouting black lives matter then I'm not helping anything apart from making myself feel better.

or maybe they're showing a bit of empathy and no matter how cringey their gestures may be it's a start and a bit of a show of solidarity. Can't see the harm.

Users who are viewing this thread