George Floyd (4 Viewers)

Otis

But the protesting guy on the news said people not joining protests are. You know, pretty much the theme of this discussion.
Did he say that? I thought it was just said that we are part of the problem if we just sit and do nothing.

Otis

Maybe you have seen something different to what I have seen though.

Obviously there are a lot of people with an awful lot to say right now

Tommo1993

Did he say that? I thought it was just said that we are part of the problem if we just sit and do nothing.

Probably not the same one, but it’s still pretty rash imo.

Again, they have every right for the outrage being expressed, bar the looting. But as we’ve all seen in the past, it will die down somehow and it’ll happen over and over again until something happens with their mental gun laws and heavy handed coppers. They only have to pass a fit and proper exam once. It’ll always be a shockingly racist country.

shmmeee

We have the same talk in this country and about many many other things you could face. I actually feel sick when I sometimes think I’m glad my son has blonde hair and blue eyes.

Yeah wasn’t an exhaustive list by any stretch. It really saddens me that talk exists here. It’s not the same but the closest I can think in personal experience is when I had girls and had to reassess my world view from a woman’s perspective. I learned women have the same talk with girls about assault and the like. Turned me pretty feminist let me tell you that.

What can we do? I mean that in all seriousness. What needs to change? I’ll listen and retweet and stand in solidarity but it doesn’t feel like enough. It feels like this huge nebulous problem we can’t even properly identify the cause of let alone start to fight. I can’t imagine how it must be when that issue is real in your life and not an issue of empathy or intellectual curiosity. I feel hopeless and this shit will never affect me.

hill83

Yeah wasn’t an exhaustive list by any stretch. It really saddens me that talk exists here. It’s not the same but the closest I can think in personal experience is when I had girls and had to reassess my world view from a woman’s perspective. I learned women have the same talk with girls about assault and the like. Turned me pretty feminist let me tell you that.

What can we do? I mean that in all seriousness. What needs to change? I’ll listen and retweet and stand in solidarity but it doesn’t feel like enough. It feels like this huge nebulous problem we can’t even properly identify the cause of let alone start to fight. I can’t imagine how it must be when that issue is real in your life and not an issue of empathy or intellectual curiosity. I feel hopeless and this shit will never affect me.

Don’t know is the short answer. If you are white and get involved it’s “virtue signalling” apparently as previously stated on here.

Feminism is a whole other story that I’ve no doubt would bring out the same people saying the same things.

Liquid Gold

One thing I saw several black people in America post/agree with that hit it home to me is their parents giving them “the talk”. You automatically assume birds and bees, but it’s about how their life will be as a black person: don’t fight back, expect to get pulled over, go out of your way to appear non-threatening.

Thats no way to live man.
I’m a mouthy git at the best of times and can’t help pushing my luck with those in authority. Things might be very different for me if I was black.

That’s bollocks in 2020. That’s bollocks in 1920.

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

We have the same talk in this country and about many many other things you could face. I actually feel sick when I sometimes think I’m glad my son has blonde hair and blue eyes.
Mate, that is such a grim thing to hear. No judgment on you, living in a society that forces you to think like that is twisted. Things need to change.

djr8369

A friend told me today that he doesn’t understand the rationale for the riots because “most ethnic minorities don’t believe there is racial inequality”.

I haven’t looked up any stats yet but that can’t be true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vow

Perhaps I'm naive but that's genuinely made me angry and upset, the fact those talks have happened due to racist fuck's in society.

hill83

A friend told me today that he doesn’t understand the rationale for the riots because “most ethnic minorities don’t believe there is racial inequality”.

Yeah it’s true. All of this is just banter.

hill83

Perhaps I'm naive but that's genuinely made me angry and upset, the fact those talks have happened due to racist fuck's in society.

It genuinely blows my mind that there are people who haven’t realised all this until now. Not having a go at you specifically but what have you been doing?

Maybe more dialogue is needed but even with what’s going on right now the overriding response is “why are you protesting” “what’s the problem”. So people don’t listen anyway. At some point people need to educate themselves about what’s going on around them.

Reactions: vow

djr8369

It genuinely blows my mind that there are people who haven’t realised all this until now. Not having a go at you specifically but what have you been doing?

Maybe more dialogue is needed but even with what’s going on right now the overriding response is “why are you protesting” “what’s the problem”. So people don’t listen anyway. At some point people need to educate themselves about what’s going on around them.

I think part of the issue is it’s an uncomfortable subject so people want to ignore it. Also, people find it hard to grasp unless there’s something specific to latch onto like “the right to vote”.

Having said that it’s totally inexcusable. Like you said, what have people been doing?

clint van damme

Don’t know is the short answer. If you are white and get involved it’s “virtue signalling” apparently as previously stated on here.

Feminism is a whole other story that I’ve no doubt would bring out the same people saying the same things.

Some people are just absolute cunts who manage to drag a load of cretins to thick to think for themselves along in their slipstream of whatever prejudice it is that floats their boat.

The simple fact is, if we all treat each other equally and without prejudice the society we live in will be a far more harmonious place to live and raise a family.

They may sound twee but I firmly believe it.

Otis

Probably because a lot of it involves looking at yourself and how you operate in the world we are in and people don’t like to do that.
I ask myself what I have done, me, myself, and the answer unfortunately is that of just, shed a few tears, shaken my head and said it's not fair.

It's not enough and I need to do more. We all need to do more.

ajsccfc

The whole 'virtue signalling' phenomenon seems to have really come along in the last few years as more people have felt empowered to openly be pieces of shit. When someone tries to be good and is met with suspicion it's not a great reflection.

David O'Day

US economy leisure and hospitality sector loses 8.4million jobs and then has a small bounce back. They unemployment rates still 13.3 percent and 30 million Americans are still unemployed.

It's a great day for George Floyd he says.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

djr8369

The whole 'virtue signalling' phenomenon seems to have really come along in the last few years as more people have felt empowered to openly be pieces of shit. When someone tries to be good and is met with suspicion it's not a great reflection.

It’s the American anti-SJW, libertarian fuckers again. “Virtue signalling” annoys me so much as it’s just used to write off any debate without considering it and is rooted in cynicism. Admittedly, there are narcissistic people who use causes to further themselves but don’t dismiss the cause because of that.

hill83

All of this shit is always on my mind 24/7 and has been my whole life but I hardly, if ever, talk about it outside of my mums side of the family. Not even my own dad as he doesn’t get it either. My own dad. So it’s good to talk about it on here for once but I think I’ll leave it for a bit because it’s really starting to piss me off.

ajsccfc

It’s the American anti-SJW, libertarian fuckers again. “Virtue signalling” annoys me so much as it’s just used to write off any debate without considering it and is rooted in cynicism. Admittedly, there are narcissistic people who use causes to further themselves but don’t dismiss the cause because of that.

Definitely. I mean, there certainly will be people doing exactly what they're accused of (clap for carers on Thursday, house party on Friday) but a lot more people are sincere than not.

vow

Didn't mean to sound uneducated, just feel angry these talks have to take place regardless.

As CVD said if we all treated each other equally we'd live in a far more harmonious place and perhaps there is where my naivety comes in.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Probably not the same one, but it’s still pretty rash imo.

Again, they have every right for the outrage being expressed, bar the looting. But as we’ve all seen in the past, it will die down somehow and it’ll happen over and over again until something happens with their mental gun laws and heavy handed coppers. They only have to pass a fit and proper exam once. It’ll always be a shockingly racist country.
Spot on. Absolutely nothing will change at all .

shmmeee

All of this shit is always on my mind 24/7 and has been my whole life but I hardly, if ever, talk about it outside of my mums side of the family. Not even my own dad as he doesn’t get it either. My own dad. So it’s good to talk about it on here for once but I think I’ll leave it for a bit because it’s really starting to piss me off.

You're doing a great job and really helping this bunch of clueless white guys mate. It's not your responsiblity though, self care comes first. Thanks for taking the time.

shmmeee

Some stats (for the US): Views of racial inequality in America

tl;dr: A majorioty of black and asian people think black people are treated unfairly.

PSDT_04.09.19_race-02-04.png

shmmeee

I’m struggling to understand the lack of awareness to be honest. It’s not like he’s daft.

Worth noting (again US) that there isn't much minority support for some of the more finge social justice beliefs among minorities. There's very little support for 'political correctness' among all races for example: Americans Strongly Dislike PC Culture

It's a nuanced area.

Users who are viewing this thread