Fresh Ricoh talks (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

It did happen. Simon clearly had some contacts that confirmed it. They haven’t been as quick to confirm what happened at the meeting though

chiefdave

wasn't there supposed to be a 'new ground' announcement in October?
If you're referring to Warwick Uni As far as I'm aware the next step was confirmation of the exact site and then a public consultation which the uni said at the time it was all announced would be before the end of the year.

However they also said the exact site was dependent on the final confirmed routing of the A46 strategic link road. Think that's been delayed so wouldn't expect anything imminently.

ccfcway

If you're referring to Warwick Uni As far as I'm aware the next step was confirmation of the exact site and then a public consultation which the uni said at the time it was all announced would be before the end of the year.

However they also said the exact site was dependent on the final confirmed routing of the A46 strategic link road. Think that's been delayed so wouldn't expect anything imminently.

or in the future

AOM

You'd think maybe we would have heard something by now from either possible outcome?
Strange that absolutely nothing has been said by anyone since

Sky Blue Pete

You'd think maybe we would have heard something by now from either possible outcome?
It’s so difficult to allow the parties space to sort things out isn’t it?
Mark and I wanted to get DR and JS and they have. Whilst there are no crowds it looks like the reasons for making a deal are not as pressing

Although I don’t know for certain my money is on there are still issues to resolve and more meetings will happen until an agreement is made. If we stay in the championship I’d be gobsmacked if a deal wasn’t possible for us to play at the Ricoh

Its my firm belief that if an announcement was possible of a return, even from next season it would maintain the momentum that’s built up over the last 3 seasons.

Mark and I don’t currently want to push any more than we have because if they are talking then there’s hope

mark82

Nothing came out publicly in the couple of months before the talks were leaked, not sure we're going to start getting public blow by blow accounts now.

AOM

It’s so difficult to allow the parties space to sort things out isn’t it?
Mark and I wanted to get DR and JS and they have. Whilst there are no crowds it looks like the reasons for making a deal are not as pressing

Although I don’t know for certain my money is on there are still issues to resolve and more meetings will happen until an agreement is made. If we stay in the championship I’d be gobsmacked if a deal wasn’t possible for us to play at the Ricoh

Its my firm belief that if an announcement was possible of a return, even from next season it would maintain the momentum that’s built up over the last 3 seasons.

Mark and I don’t currently want to push any more than we have because if they are talking then there’s hope

Yep, fingers crossed!
Even informal chats a few times a month must be an improvement on what looked like an irreparable relationship a few months ago

Magwitch

My thoughts are while we are playing BCD it perhaps isn’t so critical and both sides especially sisu aren’t rushing things , the fact both sides main people have had face to face discussions suggests there is some light at the end of this very dark tunnel.

mr_monkey

Is that why we’ve not heard about the new ground either since the one statement

What do you expect? Stuff will be made public when it is ready. A much better approach than before imo with Tim and whatever that lady's name was who were running their mouths off every five mins talking shit

Grendel

What do you expect? Stuff will be made public when it is ready. A much better approach than before imo with Tim and whatever that lady's name was who were running their mouths off every five mins talking shit

Or nothing is actually happening at all.

shmmeee

I doubt we’ll hear about a new ground much until the uni have consulted, the A45 link road is finalised, and a partnership between the uni and the club is agreed.

Which written out sounds like a long way away. Next year at the earliest I’d guess.

Last edited:

rob9872

Tbh the fact neither has come out and said the other was being unrealistic or nothing had changed etc in the press I can only see as positive. If they keep rubbing each other up the wrong way it's doomed to failure. Inactivity is not good, but I'm all for silence in the press until we actually have something tangible to be reported on.

Sky Blue Pete

Tbh the fact neither has come out and said the other was being unrealistic or nothing had changed etc in the press I can only see as positive. If they keep rubbing each other up the wrong way it's doomed to failure. Inactivity is not good, but I'm all for silence in the press until we actually have something tangible to be reported on.
It does make you wonder who it suited to pass info to Simon.
Not suggesting wasps or ccfc or Sisu of course

Last edited:
Reactions: AOM

Grendel

Or stuff is happening and it's at a commercially confidential stage... Easier to be positive rather than negative until the evidence points otherwise :)

Past evidence proves otherwise

chiefdave

I doubt we’ll hear about a new ground much until the uni have consulted, the A45 link road is finalised, and a partnership between the uni and the club is agreed.
As the uni have said the exact site can't be confirmed until they know the final plans for the link road not sure why anyone would be expecting anything to happen before that. Was supposed to be imminent but seems to have ground to a halt, presumably thanks to covid.

If you believe a new stadium is going to happen or not people can't on the one hand talk about successful stadium projects taking years and then on the other hand moan there's not constant a constant stream of news.

Sky Blue Pete

As the uni have said the exact site can't be confirmed until they know the final plans for the link road not sure why anyone would be expecting anything to happen before that. Was supposed to be imminent but seems to have ground to a halt, presumably thanks to covid.

If you believe a new stadium is going to happen or not people can't on the one hand talk about successful stadium projects taking years and then on the other hand moan there's not constant a constant stream of news.
That’s only ok if there’s not informed snippets coming out claiming a new stadium isn’t the plan.

For what it’s worth js and db and tf and mr have all consistently said without a stadium it’s not possible to compete. The joint statement was step 1 of many many steps to bring this to fruition

That doesn’t mean we can’t compete by selling players or increasing money from playing in coventry until then though

Esoterica

It doesn't have to be a constant stream of updates, I don't want a poll on the carpet colours every other week. But the club could still occasionally explain what the next step is and what the delays are when things hit a significant unexpected hitch. There's only a few people who will be following the Uni's statements - I wasn't aware of what you just explained with the link road.
People have had their fingers burned before with this, it would at least give the impression the club are actively engaged and help to ease the suspicion that we're just being bullshitted again.

Grendel

There doesn't have to be particularly tangible progress, as I've posted before, even just a roadmap of milestones would be good. The constant nonsense about 'commercial confidentiality' takes the piss out of people.

Also they could actually show evidence an owned stadium is essential to survive and grow. I see zero evidence of that at all.

clint van damme

There doesn't have to be particularly tangible progress, as I've posted before, even just a roadmap of milestones would be good. The constant nonsense about 'commercial confidentiality' takes the piss out of people.

exactly, we don't need to see the finer detail, but if they want people to buy into it they need more than a vague statement made 3 or 4 months ago.

shmmeee

I think what’s clear is that CCFC jumped the gun a bit announcing what they did when they did. It’s understandable as we were also announcing not coming back at around the same time, but ironically it would probably have been better if we’d not said anything until the site was finalised and the partnership finalised.

shmmeee

Also they could actually show evidence an owned stadium is essential to survive and grow. I see zero evidence of that at all.

This is my nagging worry. And what I’ve been driving at about our budget. I’m not convinced how we can be sustainable above L1 even in a new ground. I worry some fans think the only reason we aren’t competitive is because we don’t own our own ground when our financial issues are more systemic than that. As in the Championship isn’t for sustainable clubs as opposed to anything being wrong with CCFC.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

This is my nagging worry. And what I’ve been driving at about our budget. I’m not convinced how we can be sustainable above L1 even in a new ground. I worry some fans think the only reason we aren’t competitive is because we don’t own our own ground when our financial issues are more systemic than that. As in the Championship isn’t for sustainable clubs as opposed to anything being wrong with CCFC.
The way I see it - is that we don’t necessarily need to own a ground, we need to be able to access the revenue the streams that come with it. Not so much F&B - but the sponsorship etc.

I don’t think SISU are interested in that side of it but would gladly let the club take all the money in exchange for a set rent every year.

bawtryneal

The way I see it - is that we don’t necessarily need to own a ground, we need to be able to access the revenue the streams that come with it. Not so much F&B - but the sponsorship etc.

I don’t think SISU are interested in that side of it but would gladly let the club take all the money in exchange for a set rent every year.

Exactly
That is why the answer will always be to do a deal with Wasps and own 50% of the Ricoh and share the sponsorship revenue etc and both sides keep the revenue through there own match days, corporate hospitality and marketing efforts
This will have to be the final outcome as Wasps need investment to support bonds and other borrowings in the near future.

shmmeee

I don’t see that pulling in the £10m/year or so we’d need. Though TBH I have no idea how much it’s worth.

chiefdave

I don’t see that pulling in the £10m/year or so we’d need. Though TBH I have no idea how much it’s worth.
We all know we don't need to own a stadium, its about revenue access. No reason we can't access revenues without building or owning a stadium but of course that is reliant on who we are dealing with. At the moment the only option would be the Ricoh and while Wasps maintain their current stance that's not going to happen.

The problem is nobody at the club has ever had to give any detail as whenever they state we can finance a competitive team in L1 / L2 but not the Championship without resolving the ground issue the response is always 'they'll never build a ground' rather than asking how that puts us in a position to be competitive in the Championship. Personally I don't see how it works when you've got owners of other clubs happy to chuck £10m plus away each year chasing promotion.

Users who are viewing this thread