Forum Statement on New Stadium Announcement (2 Viewers)

rob9872

The statement is fine and reasonable and I 100% agree with the sentiment, but don't see much point in it, as despite representing a large number of fans and they may even pay us lip service or pretend to care, it holds no weight and they couldn't give a flying fk whatever our objections or agreements.

They'll ultimately tell us they tried their best but the two stalls were wide apart and no agreement could be reached. Probably some truth in that, but we'll swallow it and row in behind regardless.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'll take that bait :)

I don't particularly welcome it as:
1) It's probably just to "show intent" to the EFL so we don't get in trouble with them and it's a bit naive to assume that anything will actually happen given SISU's track record with building the ground they promised us years ago. If it actually starts to happen, then I might get excited.
2) It's waaaay too small. Even if it's modular and can be expanded later, why not start a bit bigger than the 48th-52nd biggest stadium in the football league and the 4th smallest in The Championship? Bear in mind that if we stay in this division, there are lots of big clubs-and Midlands clubs-with decent away followings, so I think we'd be looking at a lot of sold out matches and lost revenue potential.

I'm not sure that by definition a forum can be making statements like this as there will always be some negative bastard like me who doesn't agree.

Isn't that where the economics comes in though? If we're selling out games and have people unable to go you up the price until there's no excess demand. Plus a smaller ground to start with upgraded would have a better chance of being accepted as 'home' because it'll be more likely to generate that atmosphere of a 'big' crowd by being fuller and be a better experience. Ricoh had crowds comparable to HR or even bigger but rarely had that same feel because proportionally it was emptier.

Philosorapter

Is your name really Peter Griffin?

giphy.gif

Not my statement but I think the name change has been sneaked in without them noticing :D

Frostie

The statement is fine and reasonable and I 100% agree with the sentiment, but don't see much point in it, as despite representing a large number of fans and they may even pay us lip service or pretend to care, it holds no weight and they couldn't give a flying fk whatever our objections or agreements.

They'll ultimately tell us they tried their best but the two stalls were wide apart and no agreement could be reached. Probably some truth in that, but we'll swallow it and row in behind regardless.

Of course but at least the owners are prepared to engage with our representatives, the likes of the Trust & the Telegraph burned their bridges there.

So far everything Boddy & Seppala told us has been on the level (read back the notes from the February meeting) so it's important to keep the relationship going.

Top work @mark82 & @Sky Blue Pete

mark82

Of course but at least the owners are prepared to engage with our representatives, the likes of the Trust & the Telegraph burned their bridges there.

So far everything Boddy & Seppala told us has been on the level (read back the notes from the February meeting) so it's important to keep the relationship going.

Top work @mark82 & @Sky Blue Pete

That's a part of the reason for doing it, also that the trust have been so out of step with general feeling in the past. Thought their comments yesterday we're pretty much on the mark. Very pleasing.

Ring Of Steel

We started bigger at the Ricoh and for years have had one of the emptiest grounds in the country. The way to indicate to our owners we need a bigger capacity is for people to turn up.

which in turn is directly controlled by the owners in making sure whats on the pitch isn't atrocious, something they've failed to do for a decade until Robins came back.

Nick

Administrator
which in turn is directly controlled by the owners in making sure whats on the pitch isn't atrocious, something they've failed to do for a decade until Robins came back.

CITY TILL I DIE BUT ONLY IF WE ARE WINNING EVERY WEEK.

What happens if we got to the Premier League but we ended up in a relegation scrap but didn't win many games?

SeaSeeEffCee

We started bigger at the Ricoh and for years have had one of the emptiest grounds in the country. The way to indicate to our owners we need a bigger capacity is for people to turn up.
Saw on Twitter that we've averaged more than 20k 6 times since 1990. 20k capacity is fine for us at the moment.

Nick

Administrator
How many times since 1990 did we have a successful season and/or not have a huge disaster going on behind the scenes causing huge rifts & divisions between the fans?

You are obsessed with fans only going when we are winning every week or have a big cup game.

I am sure there will be another excuse anyway.

Ring Of Steel

CITY TILL I DIE BUT ONLY IF WE ARE WINNING EVERY WEEK.

What happens if we got to the Premier League but we ended up in a relegation scrap but didn't win many games?

I've been banging that drum for years- we have some of the most cynical & negative fans anywhere- and I still don't know how much of that is due to the constant dross on show & backroom crises as opposed to how much is genuine apathy. The fact that every man and his dog wants a piece when a Wembley trip or cheap ticket deal comes out suggests probably the former, but still.

And as for the Prem- thats a different ballgame- its a product, its a commodity, everyone from miles around would want a piece of it, worldwide exposure and we'd pull in 25k+ every game no matter what happened. Then lots would disappear when we went down. Hard to gauge support levels from the Prem when you're part of one of the most widely marketed 'entertainment products' on the planet.

Nick

Administrator
I've been banging that drum for years- we have some of the most cynical & negative fans anywhere- and I still don't know how much of that is due to the constant dross on show & backroom crises as opposed to how much is genuine apathy. The fact that every man and his dog wants a piece when a Wembley trip or cheap ticket deal comes out suggests probably the former, but still.

And as for the Prem- thats a different ballgame- its a product, its a commodity, everyone from miles around would want a piece of it, worldwide exposure and we'd pull in 25k+ every game no matter what happened. Then lots would disappear when we went down. Hard to gauge support levels from the Prem when you're part of one of the most widely marketed 'entertainment products' on the planet.

So should a stadium be built to include spaces for those who want a day out every couple of months when we win or get a cup draw? Much better to force as many as people to commit to season tickets to ensure they get guaranteed a space and have a full house.

Ring Of Steel

So should a stadium be built to include spaces for those who want a day out every couple of months when we win or get a cup draw? Much better to force as many as people to commit to season tickets to ensure they get guaranteed a space and have a full house.

As I've said already, about 20,000 home tickets would be about right. From what I can tell that also ties in with what the guy on the radio said this morning. Thats assuming this revival is maintained (and by that I don't mean promotion pushes, I mean the current goodwill & general optimism flying around)- I think people downplay just how much support is out there for us.

mr_monkey

But we didn't when we were at Highfield road in the premiership even when we were the "entertainers" in the Keane season, what's the difference now? By your logic if we play badly we won't get the crowds

Ring Of Steel

But we didn't when we were at Highfield road in the premiership, what's the difference now? By your logic if we play badly we won't get the crowds

Highfield Road only held 23,000 of which 4,100 were away tickets. In line with everyone else our crowds grew, and towards the end of the Prem HR was pretty much full in the home areas.

And its not "my logic", its a fact- play like shit for decades & constantly let supporters down and your crowds will drop- I'm not really sure why thats so hard to understand.

Ring Of Steel

But we didn't when we were at Highfield road in the premiership even when we were the "entertainers" in the Keane season, what's the difference now? By your logic if we play badly we won't get the crowds

I see your edit- average in 1999/2000 was 20,809, give or take 2,000 below capacity. Average away crowds probably 2,500 (dragged down by the Bradfords, Wimbledons, Watfords etc), so thats 18,300 home fans from a possible 18,800 or so available. Pretty full and again, dragged down by a few games. We averaged more than Leicester that season by the way.

The bottom line is this. Every club has a level of support they can expect no matter what & a level of support they know they can pull in if there is stability and the team is doing ok. For us, right now, I would argue all day that 15,000 home seats is too low, 20,000 would be just about right. Thats it, I'm not calling for white elephants to be built or to cater for the daytrippers and have a huge ground, but history & fact show that we'd be just fine at this point with a 24k seater or thereabouts, and this idea of deliberately building too small & then charge through the nose to watch on iplayer- well thats really gonna help the SISU cause isn't it, talk about undoing all the goodwill thats being built up.

Last edited:

Ring Of Steel

How much did Leicester average in the lower leagues when they were shit?

They averaged 20,253 in their one season in League One. They won the league by miles and had Mandaric doing his thing. Wigan are similar- they went from 7k to 21k in 3 years flat off the back of promotions and success, now back to 9k in the Championship with all their issues behind the scenes.

Up until SISU we actually historically had very similar crowds to Leicester

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

Isn't that where the economics comes in though? If we're selling out games and have people unable to go you up the price until there's no excess demand. Plus a smaller ground to start with upgraded would have a better chance of being accepted as 'home' because it'll be more likely to generate that atmosphere of a 'big' crowd by being fuller and be a better experience. Ricoh had crowds comparable to HR or even bigger but rarely had that same feel because proportionally it was emptier.

So you'd screw over fans and leave them outside just to create a "better atmosphere" and "demand" by having people crammed in like sardines (great for spreading germs, btw)? That's definitely not in the supporters interests. Cos then you can really rip them off with ticket prices, too.

I'm sure this is SISU's reasoning too. It won't be because it's cheaper for it to be small at all!

Come on man, 48th-52nd biggest ground in the league? How any City fan can be happy with that baffles me. If we were aiming to be a top L1 club with the odd season in the Champ, then it would be....oh.

Nick

Administrator
So you'd screw over fans and leave them outside just to create a "better atmosphere" and "demand" by having people crammed in like sardines (great for spreading germs, btw)? That's definitely not in the supporters interests. Cos then you can really rip them off with ticket prices, too.

I'm sure this is SISU's reasoning too. It won't be because it's cheaper for it to be small at all!

Come on man, 48th-52nd biggest ground in the league? How any City fan can be happy with that baffles me. If we were aiming to be a top L1 club with the odd season in the Champ, then it would be....oh.
Who really looks up the stadium capacity league tables?

Would people be outside all the time or just big one off games?

Frostie

Not sure why everyone is getting hung up on this, it's widely acknowledged that 18-20k is the starting point as it's appropriate for where we are currently but with scope for expansion (rumoured up to 35k). It's the whole point of a modular design.

Nonleagueherewecome

Saw on Twitter that we've averaged more than 20k 6 times since 1990. 20k capacity is fine for us at the moment.
I think that stat actually proves the opposite.

Nonleagueherewecome

Away fans, too. Can you remember when you'd get loads of them in the home end whenever we played a big club like Liverpool or Man U at HR?

Nonleagueherewecome

Who really looks up the stadium capacity league tables?

Would people be outside all the time or just big one off games?
The point is that it is fucking pathetic. That's a lower league ground. No ambition-they clearly don't see us going up again in the next decade or they would start higher. It has to be bigger than HR, surely? Part of the reasoning of leaving there was it was too small for a growing club...

Nonleagueherewecome

If it was too small they wouldn't be able to get in the home end as it would be sold out with home fans.
Oh, they will, they always find a way.

Nick

Administrator
The point is that it is fucking pathetic. That's a lower league ground. No ambition-they clearly don't see us going up again in the next decade or they would start higher. It has to be bigger than HR, surely? Part of the reasoning of leaving there was it was too small for a growing club...

Genuine question as you have said the "no ambition" stuff and "pathetic".

Many games taken in last season?

mr_monkey

Do you not understand the concept of modular buildings?

And also with Highfield road, we all know the ricoh was mainly a vanity project for Richardson and his mates and certainly wasn't "necessary" for the club by any stretch of the imagination

Last edited:

Frostie

I'll re-post my own comment as you've clearly missed it.

Not sure why everyone is getting hung up on this, it's widely acknowledged that 18-20k is the starting point as it's appropriate for where we are currently but with scope for expansion (rumoured up to 35k). It's the whole point of a modular design.

Users who are viewing this thread