Forum Statement on New Stadium Announcement (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Would be a bit pointless to try and think up every possibility and list them all in a statement when most people would agree that any deal shouldn't harm the club long term.

"Any" covers any possibility.

But it’s so obvious. Why mention it at all? Who is suggesting such a thing? Why would Sisu agree to it anyway?

It read to me as very much the language the club uses when talking about the indemnity, hence my original question. If it’s just meaningless filler then carry on.

Philosorapter

The way I look at this is simple.

We can't forever be in Birmingham.

There is no progress in playing in Birmingham waiting to see what happens at the Ricoh.

This is an active start on getting the club back to Coventry.

What happens from here depends on circumstances.

This is a step forward on trying to resolve the issue.

Sky Blue Pete

But wait. I thought it was very clear that it meant the indemnity.

You’re proving my point. I could argue any short term deal without another ground moving forward harms the long term future of the club. Literally no one wants a deal that harms the long term future of the club. The issue is we disagree on what deals cause what harm.

TBH it doesn’t really matter, it’s not like anyone’s going to be sat at the negotiating table going “wait, before we sign does this meet the expectations of SBT??”
Wasps / ccc might not care too much about the long term future of ccfc

And I think you’re right that no one is thinking won’t sign this if sky Blues Talk don’t want us to.

However you once said you don’t want to make one point you want to change things for the better and you’ll hear me say amen!

We need a genuine supporters voice so that Sisu and ccfc genuinely seek our views before and change their opinions from having them where they can and a build up of respect and trust both ways.

If an announcement is made this week about 5 year term back at the Ricoh then great. If it’s anything else as supporters we will want to know why.

I think it’s clear they have heard our voices by seeking this partnership. Let’s see what else is possible

Nick

Administrator
But it’s so obvious. Why mention it at all? Who is suggesting such a thing? Why would Sisu agree to it anyway?

It read to me as very much the language the club uses when talking about the indemnity, hence my original question. If it’s just meaningless filler then carry on.

At which point it would say "indemnity" then if it was just about that.

NorthernWisdom

Forgive my cynicism, but we've seen plenty of statements from the club before. What this does have is the extra of being joint with University of Warwick (but I would wait for a few days for everything to simmer down, before accepting all is as it seems!) and yes, I remember suggesting this was the ideal partnership a long time ago ;)

But... I'd be happier with a forum statement that did point out we've had plenty of words over the years and yes, while encouraging, ultimately it's pointless without action.

I'd hold off on *any* response, personally, until the dust settles a little, and we get more clarity on whether what we see, is what we see.

Sky Blue Pete

Forgive my cynicism, but we've seen plenty of statements from the club before. What this does have is the extra of being joint with University of Warwick (but I would wait for a few days for everything to simmer down, before accepting all is as it seems!) and yes, I remember suggesting this was the ideal partnership a long time ago ;)

But... I'd be happier with a forum statement that did point out we've had plenty of words over the years and yes, while encouraging, ultimately it's pointless without action.

I'd hold off on *any* response, personally, until the dust settles a little, and we get more clarity on whether what we see, is what we see.
That’s fair comment. Wanted to build trust and respect with the club and this feels a bit like that so wanted to respond. Have some ready to go for when it’s decided where we will be playing home games from next season

duffer

I'm struggling to see where it's possible to pick holes in that statement, as written. It's impossible to go into all of the specifics that we might consider to be the hallmarks of a bad deal at the Ricoh, and if you tried, then it would be far too complex to be used as a press release. (And likely far too open to debate around the detail to be expressed as the single view of the fans.)

The sentiment is simple and clear - as fans we want to be back at the Ricoh whilst the new stadium is (or isn't) progressed, but not in a way that damages or restricts the club. There's no point-scoring here against Wasps, the Council or the owners, just an unambiguous statement that I would imagine most fans could line up behind.

Getting this into the press before the Trust can potential muddy the water with a pro-Wasps/pro-Council/anti-SISU polemic that divides opinion, is a good bit of work, imho.

duffer

I doubt the Trust will hold off on a response for too long, NW, as least this one has the value of making the media aware that they aren't the sole source for supporters' opinions. If for no other reason, I think that's a good reason to have got this out quickly.

Nick

Administrator

"Sky Blues Talk, an online hub for Coventry supporters, welcomed the news"

BIG TIME CHARLIES

giphy.gif

capel & collindridge

What Ricoh deal would harm the long term future of the club? Are we talking about the indemnity? Why not name it? So tired of weasel language from all sides in this. Needs transparency and clarity. Say what you mean.
Other aspects of a bad deal could harm the long term future of the club, long time without access to sufficient funding and a poorly maintained pitch are two other factors for a start. The wording of the statement is balanced, fair and to the point. It needs to be clear, not point scoring or inflammatory.

Nick

Administrator
Other aspects of a bad deal could harm the long term future of the club, long time without access to sufficient funding and a poorly maintained pitch are two other factors for a start. The wording of the statement is balanced, fair and to the point. It needs to be clear, not point scoring or inflammatory.

Which is the good thing about Pete and Mark writing stuff rather than the majority of the rest of us.

shmmeee

Shock, the same time there was the last statement calling out the indemnity he was the only one against it I think.

Sorry boss. Can you send the acceptable opinions memo out again? Must've got stuck in the spam filter.

Fucks sake you bunch of fannies really can’t take people disagreeing with you can you? And I wasn’t even disagreeing. I misinterpreted something and was set right and said “fine”.

Glad you and Grendel got a circle jerk in about it though. 🙄

Sky Blue Pete

Philosorapter

"As supporters of Coventry City we are delighted by the joint statement from CCFC and Warwick University. It is all the more pleasing given the assurances we received earlier this year from Dave Boddy & Joy Seppala on the priority that CCFC and Sisu were placing on having a stadium of our own and their desire to have continued close relationships between the supporters, the club and the owners.

In the short term, we hope that efforts to return to the Ricoh Arena in the interim period continue to be prioritised. It remains of the utmost importance to Coventry City fans for the club to be playing in the city of Coventry during this period. We continue to expect all involved parties to continue to work towards achieving this common aim, however, if this is not possible then transparency is needed as to the reasons why an agreement has not been made. Any deal to return to the Ricoh Arena must not put the long term future of the club at risk.

We look forward to seeing further plans for the development of the stadium in the near future and we hope that this process will be carried out in collaboration with, and support from, all fans groups.

Pete Griffiths & Mark Dimmock
On behalf of the Sky Blues Talk community"

Any objections?

"As supporters of Coventry City we are delighted by the joint statement from CCFC and Warwick University. It is all the more pleasing given the assurances we received earlier this year from Dave Boddy & Joy Seppala on the priority that CCFC and Sisu were placing on having a stadium of our own and their desire to have continued close relationships between the supporters, the club and the owners.

In the short term, we hope that efforts to return to the Ricoh Arena in the interim period continue to be prioritised. It remains of the utmost importance to Coventry City fans for the club to be playing in the City of Coventry during this period. We continue to expect all involved parties to continue to work towards achieving this common aim. However, if this is not possible then transparency is needed as to the reasons why an agreement has not been reached. Any deal to return to the Ricoh Arena must not put the long term future of the club at risk.

We look forward to seeing further plans for the development of the stadium in the near future, and we hope that this process will be carried out in collaboration with, and support from, all fans groups.

Peter Griffin & Mark Dimmock

Just cleaning the statement up.

I am sure others could do a better job than I.

Last edited:

mark82

In the short term, we hope that efforts to return to the Ricoh Arena in the interim period continue to be prioritised. It remains of the utmost importance to Coventry City fans for the club to be playing in the City of Coventry during this period. We continue to expect all involved parties to continue to work towards achieving this common aim. However, if this is not possible then transparency is needed as to the reasons why an agreement has not been reached. Any deal to return to the Ricoh Arena must not put the long term future of the club at risk.

We look forward to seeing further plans for the development of the stadium in the near future, and we hope that this process will be carried out in collaboration with, and support from, all fans groups.

Ta. Not had a lot of time today.

skybluebeast

The announcement today changes nothing in the short term. The club are working hard to get us back to the Ricoh for next year and to cover the 3-5 years it will take to build this new stadium which again from what I understand is far from a smokescreen.

higgs

The announcement today changes nothing in the short term. The club are working hard to get us back to the Ricoh for next year and to cover the 3-5 years it will take to build this new stadium which again from what I understand is far from a smokescreen.
Can you see it being built so skybluebeast? It would be great to have the long term security of owning our own stadium this uncertainty every few yrs is no good for the club

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

skybluebeast

Can you see it being built so skybluebeast? It would be great to have the long term security of owning our own stadium this uncertainty every few yrs is no good for the club

In all honesty Higgs yes I can. The little bits I hear come from extremely close to the club and tend not to be BS due to where they come from within the club. I also can’t see why or how Warwick Uni would allow themselves to have their reputation tarnished if this didn’t go ahead. (Although I suspect the nay sayers would say that the statement didn’t really commit to anything) The whole thing is so mutually beneficial for both parties and would allow the University to establish itself as a leading player in sports science etc from the facilities that will be made available to them.

Do I have a nagging doubt that Sisu might repeat history... ofcourse old wounds die hard but I also recognise that there seems to have been a whole new approach to things the past 3/4 years. That said let’s not think this will be the clubs stadium, it will very much be Sisu’s stadium I should imagine meaning we could end up still being tenants to a third party if the club were to be sold.

Last edited:

higgs

In all honesty Higgs yes I can. The little bits I hear come from extremely close to the club and tend not to be BS due to where they come from within the club. I also can’t see why or how Warwick Uni would allow themselves to have their reputation tarnished if this didn’t go ahead. (Although I suspect the nay sayers would say that the statement didn’t really commit to anything) The whole thing is so mutually beneficial for both parties and would allow the University to establish itself as a leading player in sports science etc from the facilities that will be made available to them.

Do I have a nagging doubt that Sisu might repeat history... ofcourse old wounds die hard but I also recognise that there seems to have been a whole new approach to things the past 3/4 years. That said let’s not think this will be the clubs stadium, it will very much be Sisu’s stadium I should imagine meaning we could end up still being tenants to a third party of the club were to be sold.
Exciting times ahead once we see the first sod being turned we deserve a home to call home

Nonleagueherewecome

Only an absolute moron would be able to disagree with that...
I'll take that bait :)

I don't particularly welcome it as:
1) It's probably just to "show intent" to the EFL so we don't get in trouble with them and it's a bit naive to assume that anything will actually happen given SISU's track record with building the ground they promised us years ago. If it actually starts to happen, then I might get excited.
2) It's waaaay too small. Even if it's modular and can be expanded later, why not start a bit bigger than the 48th-52nd biggest stadium in the football league and the 4th smallest in The Championship? Bear in mind that if we stay in this division, there are lots of big clubs-and Midlands clubs-with decent away followings, so I think we'd be looking at a lot of sold out matches and lost revenue potential.

I'm not sure that by definition a forum can be making statements like this as there will always be some negative bastard like me who doesn't agree.

CanadianCCFC

I asked if that’s what it meant and thought if that’s what we want then we should mention it outright as a chance to inform people.

You may as well have put “no deals that involve Godzilla eating children” if I means what you say, which is basically nothing anyone would ever disagree with. The implication is someone is suggesting such a deal, otherwise why mention it?
You have to take it in context, the statement essentially says that the short term priority should be a return to the Ricoh BUT if a return would harm the club in the long term then don’t accept it and explain the reasons to the fans. The statement didn’t solely say “don’t accept a deal that will harm the club”.

CanadianCCFC

Yes I agree about adding in the fact that we’ve heard about locations and plans before with no action and that this time must be different

CanadianCCFC

Is your name really Peter Griffin?

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread