Football set to introduce blue cards as major change to the game is signed off (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

How many can you have at once? What happens if an entire team surrounds the ref like the Latin Americans? Do you go down to a five a side squad with rush backs?

in theory that’s the right way, it would lead to teams telling only the captain to talk so they can only ever lose one at a time I think. But the initial chaos could undo the whole thing. Which always seems to be the way with rule changes: first few overzealous ones get over analysed and the whole thing gets watered down beyond recognition.

Also not sure about a sin bin just for dissent (is that the proposal?) why not any yellow card offence? I just don’t see why we need a special card that’s essentially a yellow.

slowpoke

A
How many can you have at once? What happens if an entire team surrounds the ref like the Latin Americans? Do you go down to a five a side squad with rush backs?

in theory that’s the right way, it would lead to teams telling only the captain to talk so they can only ever lose one at a time I think. But the initial chaos could undo the whole thing. Which always seems to be the way with rule changes: first few overzealous ones get over analysed and the whole thing gets watered down beyond recognition.

Also not sure about a sin bin just for dissent (is that the proposal?) why not any yellow card offence? I just don’t see why we need a special card that’s essentially a yellow.
Could be interesting with what you say about Latins I don’t think a game can carry on with less than 7 players unless that rule has changed.

Oggysstarjumps

They've only just started to address time wasting. A 10 min sin bin is surely going to encourage it? Players will be calling for the trainer because they feel a bit sad and need a cuddle. There'll be acting classes held after training sessions (if they aren't already).

Reactions: SBT

Mucca Mad Boys

The way players speak to refs sometimes is a blight on the sport. I don’t see blue cards being a problem at all.

Don’t speak to the ref like he’s scum and you won’t get punished.

skybluegod

This is already being used in Sunday league pretty much via sin bins, just without the blue card. It works far more effectively than a standard yellow ever did as a referee.

I know top refs are supportive of the decision, depending on implementation and laws around it. I think having it for cynical challenges is going to be the harder one to enforce as it's very subjective.

skybluegod

A yellow card for dissent has proven it doesn't work. Players don't care, as it very very rarely leads to a red.

We discussed the 7 man thing at a ref conference this week. Essentially the game would be abandoned if you dropped below 7. The directive this year for surrounding refs is that the first player on scene should be booked, if they don't disperse then a second player is then booked and so on and so on until players go away. If you do that with 'blue cards' then it will 100% make them go away after the first one as the players will self police.

Gint11

Blue cards are a load of utter bollocks and will add further confusion to the game in subjectivity. We’re had a 2 card system for 54+ years and it works, we just need to act stronger with it. Start sending off players and it will cut it out!

shmmeee

A yellow card for dissent has proven it doesn't work. Players don't care, as it very very rarely leads to a red.

We discussed the 7 man thing at a ref conference this week. Essentially the game would be abandoned if you dropped below 7. The directive this year for surrounding refs is that the first player on scene should be booked, if they don't disperse then a second player is then booked and so on and so on until players go away. If you do that with 'blue cards' then it will 100% make them go away after the first one as the players will self police.

Just give a yellow and a sin bin for dissent. Or give a sin bin for all yellows.

skybluegod

Just give a yellow and a sin bin for dissent. Or give a sin bin for all yellows.

Agreed I'm not sure why they added an extra card when all that needs to happen is what we do at lower levels. Yellow and point with both hands to the dugout. Simple!

Not sure on sin bin for all yellows mind! (Be a nightmare at lower levels!)

shmmeee

Agreed I'm not sure why they added an extra card when all that needs to happen is what we do at lower levels. Yellow and point with both hands to the dugout. Simple!

Not sure on sin bin for all yellows mind! (Be a nightmare at lower levels!)

Is it just dissent that’s proposed then? I saw something about cynical fouls as well. Just not sure once you start where you draw the line. Technically all yellows the player has done something pretty bad but not bad enough for a red.

SBT

This is already being used in Sunday league pretty much via sin bins, just without the blue card. It works far more effectively than a standard yellow ever did as a referee.

I know top refs are supportive of the decision, depending on implementation and laws around it. I think having it for cynical challenges is going to be the harder one to enforce as it's very subjective.
Think it’s a great idea for grassroots and kids football. For professional games it will just lead to teams bunkering and time-wasting for 10 minutes until they’re back to full strength.

Johnnythespider

How long until they start giving cards to supporters who tell the ref he's not fit to referee, ten mins in the bogs for you matey.

Warwickhunt

Replace the Red card with the blue card! Punishment is instant and not carried over into other games.

SAJ

Is it just dissent that’s proposed then? I saw something about cynical fouls as well. Just not sure once you start where you draw the line. Technically all yellows the player has done something pretty bad but not bad enough for a red.
No they haven’t, numerous yellows are given for persistent fouling. It will be used for things like the cynical foul on the half way line where it’s not a clear and obvious scoring opportunity. Good example would have been Kitching at Norwich. Many saying a straight red was harsh but Tbf it was worse than just a yellow. Blue card in that circumstance could have been the best solution.

shmmeee

No they haven’t, numerous yellows are given for persistent fouling. It will be used for things like the cynical foul on the half way line where it’s not a clear and obvious scoring opportunity. Good example would have been Kitching at Norwich. Many saying a straight red was harsh but Tbf it was worse than just a yellow. Blue card in that circumstance could have been the best solution.

Don’t think a red was harsh. Was clear DOGSO

skybluegod

Yeah cynical fouls included in this trial buts not officially announced yet so no details on that is!

skybluegod

Think it’s a great idea for grassroots and kids football. For professional games it will just lead to teams bunkering and time-wasting for 10 minutes until they’re back to full strength.

I disagree, it's quite hard for momentum to swing on a dime in football. If it was near the end of a half maybe. But some teams struggle to just change like that. Plus imagine for somebody against a top team, might the difference between a point and none

lifeskyblue

Like VAR another unnecessary add-on for the benefit of tv ‘experts’. Can’t wait for h/t talks to be dominated by facile chat about whether the ref should have given a red, a blue, a yellow with multiple camera angles and slow mo. Followed by full time interviews with managers criticising every card and why their team lost because the ref blue carded one of their players ‘when everyone could see it was a yellow’.
It might well work at junior football levels but just cannot see the benefit at the professional level… impose yellow card sanctions appropriately as and when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SBT

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I think it could save time, it could cut out dissent completely like in Rugby.

How much time is wasted in games with players arguing and surrounding referees. I think dissent is the biggest thing in football that needs eradicating. It puts more pressure on referees when there is enough already.

Yeah but no colour card is going to stop the primadonna players we see in football.
Also, haven’t read much into it, but are GK’s included? Given they are one of the worst culprits for taking the piss when it comes to things like time wasting 🤣

Nuskyblue

What’s all this about? Seen something on Twitter talking about FIFA trialling blue cards for dissent. Gives you a ten min sin bin and a yellow and blue equals a red.

Why not just have a yellow? What happens if it’s a keeper? Seems like another example of the rules being made overly complex because refs don’t enforce the ones they have.

Anyway to make this City related, who would be our first player to get a blue card?
Cal. After being scythed down for the umpteenth time...

I'm with you on this. We (people) have the tendancy to overcomplicate things, in this instance the addition of the bike card or sin bin element. I think at the same c**t summit they were to debate the hand ball rule and then put forward a new addition, specifically to incidents in the penalty area (adding another layer of subjectivity) which is patently not required.

I think the wave of rule change is due to the advent of VAR which obviously doesn't translate to 99.9% of games played worldwide. They are trying to mitigate something that can't be mitigated. Subjectivity. The implementation of VAR has overstepped it's mark, I think most would have it for the absolute howler but what we have is quite literally the re-refereeing of games. Knit picking over this and that. Even the offside, which should be absolute, isn't. The tech they use introduces a fat margin of error. The camera does not operate at the frames per second required.

SkyBlueMatt

Speaks the truth. Why are we trying to complicate everything? There are so many things that need looking at and they come up with this.

Just leave the sport alone.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Terry Gibson's perm

What is the order blue yellow red or yellow blue red?

How do they propose to keep the players warm?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Or....

Just apply the current law properly and book people for dissent and if the do it again given them another. Bet people would stop doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread