Flatter to Deceive (6 Viewers)

Malaka

Decent player, we are lucky to have him. I think that his movement and vision is excellent, it's just that some of the team are not yet on his wavelength. It reminds me of when we had McAllister here, he was too good us and looked distinctly average most of the time as a lot of our players were not in the space he passed the ball into. He had the quality around him when he moved to Liverpool, he was class and won five trophies.

superskyblue

I guess I’m saying I don’t know what his role is on the pitch, sometimes playing as a wide midfielder others as a strike partner.

Yep it's a classic way to treat a new striker isn't it. Play them out wide. We've done it so many times over the years and not many recover. Only McNulty comes to mind as someone who's come out the other side.

When Walker is back I'd like to see a return to the 5212 formation with Gyok and Walker together and O'Hare in behind. Think they have the makings of a decent front 3.

Barnsley

Nobody can know definitively but was rumoured at £7.5k -8k. Not sure if that's before he signed a new deal though. @Barnsley may have a better idea.
He joined them in 2018 though, for £700k rising to £1.2m. We'd only just been promoted to League One then.

A better question would be has a player moved in January to a similar placed club to us, on realistic money, that would significantly improve us more than Gyökeres will?
I can't think of many.

Arguably Elijah Adebayo from Walsall to Luton. He would have been a good few hundred thousand though & it's a big step up from League 2. Is he significantly better than Godden, Walker & Gyökeres? Too early to tell & a lot of pressure for us to put on him.

Daryl Dike could potentially be a good move for Barnsley but again, there's no saying how well players from the MLS will transition - historically it's not great so no guarantees. Big future fee on his deal too.

According to Woodrows dad Fulham gave him to us for free. During the Rotherham game at Christmas the Rotherham commentator said they gave us him and they get 50% sell on the commentator used to play with Woodrows dad at Rotherham. As for wages we don’t pay big wages Wigan and Stoke paid wages bigger than us that’s why our players go there.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Personally I think James has had the benefit of calming down both Gus and O'Hare. Everything seemed pretty rushed with them before and Gus in particular was too keen to play the Hollywood ball.

With more intelligent runners back up front, I'm sure the creativity of the midfield will show through too.

Hobo

I also don’t get the need to replace Kelly when we’d been playing without him anyway - he’s played 11 games

Yet people say the results arent good enough and we are in a relegation battle? Your logic is strange at times.

Grendel

No but if we want better than what we’ve got it’s very likely to cost more than we can afford.

Well I think whoever replaced Tim Sherwood cost a lot less so not really and relating to this thread is James massively better than Kelly?

Grendel

Nobody can know definitively but was rumoured at £7.5k -8k. Not sure if that's before he signed a new deal though. @Barnsley may have a better idea.
He joined them in 2018 though, for £700k rising to £1.2m. We'd only just been promoted to League One then.

A better question would be has a player moved in January to a similar placed club to us, on realistic money, that would significantly improve us more than Gyökeres will?
I can't think of many.

Arguably Elijah Adebayo from Walsall to Luton. He would have been a good few hundred thousand though & it's a big step up from League 2. Is he significantly better than Godden, Walker & Gyökeres? Too early to tell & a lot of pressure for us to put on him.

Daryl Dike could potentially be a good move for Barnsley but again, there's no saying how well players from the MLS will transition - historically it's not great so no guarantees. Big future fee on his deal too.

Leon Clarke if I’m being pedantic

Brighton Sky Blue

Well I think whoever replaced Tim Sherwood cost a lot less so not really and relating to this thread is James massively better than Kelly?

What’s signing Sherwood 17 years ago got to do with anything?

Not after the few games no I haven’t seen much difference. Though the time for criticising signings surely isn’t now but once our fate is settled?

Frostie

Leon Clarke if I’m being pedantic

😳

Leon Clarke has only managed 6 starts & 1 goal since September & Shrewsbury have already brought in other strikers to replace him. Hardly what we need is it?

Also he wasn't available in January anyway, he moved to Shrewsbury in September & we weren't without both Walker & Godden then.

Grendel

😳

Leon Clarke has only managed 6 starts & 1 goal since September & Shrewsbury have already brought in other strikers to replace him. Hardly what we need is it?

Also he wasn't available in January anyway, he moved to Shrewsbury in September & we weren't without both Walker & Godden then.

I was talking about when we signed him!

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Parrott plays on the shoulder of the last man.

giphy.gif

Hobo

I see, but not sure what looking at the past does.

Who was available in the window just gone that we could have signed that's better than what we did?

His post was ambiguous to say the least. He hopes the past gives him a rock solid argument, but of course it doesn't.

Grendel

His post was ambiguous to say the least. He hopes the past gives him a rock solid argument, but of course it doesn't.

Not really - my point is we have a lot of midfielders but very little elsewhere and he is an expensive luxury - if we decided we could not afford a centre forward as they are some kind of luxury commodity I’d then rather see a centre half instead of Hyam used to a back 3 to stop leakage of stupid goals

Hobo

Not really - my point is we have a lot of midfielders but very little elsewhere and he is an expensive luxury - if we decided we could not afford a centre forward as they are some kind of luxury commodity I’d then rather see a centre half instead of Hyam used to a back 3 to stop leakage of stupid goals

Perhaps a slightly longer and more detailed post could have painted a clearer picture of your views.

Another angle Grendel and I accept this is just speculation like most things on here. Kelly's contract is up in the summer and we don't know what his intention is? Or what offers might come his way?

Also from the clubs point of view, when a contract expires there is a choice, stick with what you have got or try and bring someone better in.

The opportunity to bring James in gives the club time to assess him. Would he be an improvement on Kelly or possibly even just a like for like swap if Kelly moves on?

I think one of the key considerations was our side is very young and lacks experience. I think the experience factor is as important as the position. I know you argued for the experienced striker - but very few strikers are made captains and that is normally down to their position on the field rather than lacking leadership qualities.

Skybluedownunder

0 goals in 14 games for Millwall...

He had an injury early start to the season and then didn’t get much game time at Milwall and was only coming off the bench

Gyokeres was 0 in 10 for Swansea so what’s your point?

People said there was no1 better out there, my opinion was Parrott is better and much more highly rated, supposed to be the next Harry Kane according to Spurs fans and scored loads in youth leagues and U23’s etc

In comparison, Parrott is also a fully fledged international for Ireland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clint van damme

He had an injury early start to the season and then didn’t get much game time at Milwall and was only coming off the bench

People said there was no1 better out there, my opinion was Parrott is better and much more highly rated, supposed to be the next Harry Kane according to Spurs fans and scored loads in youth leagues and U23’s etc

I mentioned Parrott based purely on his cameo against us but as with any realistic option we had it would be a gamble.
We don't have the budget for a proven Championship striker

Grendel

I mentioned Parrott based purely on his cameo against us but as with any realistic option we had it would be a gamble.
We don't have the budget for a proven Championship striker

We don’t have a budget for a proven championship player in any position but our forwards as it stands aren’t good enough - Godden maybe it may not - so it’s a big area of concern

D

Deleted member 11652

We don’t have a budget for a proven championship player in any position but our forwards as it stands aren’t good enough - Godden maybe it may not - so it’s a big area of concern

Well we spent £1million on one so he needs to be good enough. Us staying up could depend on whether he is good enough or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frostie

In comparison, Parrott is also a fully fledged international for Ireland

So why did Parrott have to drop to League One to try & get minutes? Millwall are one of the lowest scorers in the league yet he still couldn't get a game.

Gyökeres was at Swansea, flying high, one of the highest scoring teams in the league & behind an excellent partnership in Ayew & Lowe.

To correct your stats:
Parrott 0 in 14
Gyökeres 1 in 11

Gyökeres has of course scored goals in Germany & 1 for Brighton now 1 for us too whilst Parrott has never scored a single goal at senior level.

You're aware that he is a full Sweden international & has actually scored for them too?

Parrott probably will go on to have a decent career but, at this stage, Gyökeres is a better fit & was far more likely to make an immediate impact.

Skybluedownunder

So why did Parrott have to drop to League One to try & get minutes? Millwall are one of the lowest scorers in the league yet he still couldn't get a game.

Gyökeres was at Swansea, flying high, one of the highest scoring teams in the league & behind an excellent partnership in Ayew & Lowe.

To correct your stats:
Parrott 0 in 14
Gyökeres 1 in 11

Gyökeres has of course scored goals in Germany & 1 for Brighton now 1 for us too whilst Parrott has never scored a single goal at senior level.

You're aware that he is a full Sweden international & has actually scored for them too?

Parrott probably will go on to have a decent career but, at this stage, Gyökeres is a better fit & was far more likely to make an immediate impact.

I know Gyokeres is a Sweden international but if you read the comments someone commented I’d rather have Gyokeres because he is an international too so I corrected it by saying yes but so is Parrott

I’m sure Parrott probably had championship offers but like us, sometimes we loan a player to a league lower to guarentee they will get mins, like many of our players we loan out like Drysdale for example

Brighton Sky Blue

Right and the only name you’ve tossed out is Leon Clarke. We did not have the funds to improve our quality up front, only the numbers.

D

Deleted member 11652

Why isn’t he good enough?

That was Grendel’s point. He said none of our forwards are good enough for the championship. I stated for the money we spent on Walker (I thought it was £1million) he needs to be good enough and it could be the difference in relegation or survival. Then you and Clint jumped in missing the point

shmmeee

That was Grendel’s point. He said none of our forwards are good enough for the championship. I stated for the money we spent on Walker (I thought it was £1million) he needs to be good enough and it could be the difference in relegation or survival. Then you and Clint jumped in missing the point

Oh sorry. Then yeah I agree, I’ve got a vague memory of both 600 and 900k but can’t find any evidence of that other than that screenshot.

I think he’s a good striker with potential, his goals per minute ratio is good and we’ve yet to see him fit so a bit hair triggered about people writing him off 😂

Users who are viewing this thread