Flatter to Deceive (1 Viewer)

PVA

Yes it's confirmed:

When asked about the latest absence, manager Mark Robins, who is bound by data protection guidelines, said: “You can come up with problems in this day and age, illness, and that’s the circumstances and you have to react to them.

“While we are as careful as we possibly can be, people become infected with whatever they become infected with, so both of them have had a virus.

"So it’s been a tough period because your plans go out of the window and you have to adjust them.

“It’s a tough old period for everyone and we just have to get on with it.

“Ben’s really disappointed that he’s missed out in these circumstances but hopefully he’ll be available again in tens days’ time.”

RegTheDonk

Thought he played well last night, but maybe thats down to Forest sitting back a bit in 2nd half. He seems fairly solid but to be honest I was expecting him to be some kind of playmaker going by the hype and experience. You know, spraying killer defence splitting passes around, pulling their players all over the pitch. Not disappointed but not overwhelmed.

Jamesimus

It's almost as if the OP says something, just to get a reaction 😂

I thought he looked a bit slow to react / not at the races first half, not bad as such, but like a player who has not played all that much recently. But second half when we were allowed much more time on the ball he was very good.

Hobo

It is still eary days for James and Gyo getting to know what their team mates do and don't do.

It takes time to blend into a team and have a real impact. I think James is the sort of player who wont necessarilly catch the eye and stand out. But the team will miss him when he is not there.

JulianDarbyFTW

One thing I noticed last night was that the centre midfielders would shift over to the same side at the same time, leaving massive gaps on the other side. I think it 's a case of learning how each other play, which takes time. James certainly has quality, but I don't think he's in tune with the rest of the team / midfield just yet.

johnwillomagic

Think personally he looks very good but is not the sort of player who catches the eye unlike say o'Hare but overall for instance James use of the ball on the most part and ball retention is far better than player stated above.

I also think James will get better as he goes along, settles in and gets used to teammates limitations.

edgy

Personally think he's been very useful so far and if there's improvements to come then brilliant.

I think he'll score sooner or later too.

fernandopartridge

He's a decent player certainly but I'd probably have preferred a striker of his experience in our current situation if one was available

Grendel

It's almost as if the OP says something, just to get a reaction 😂

I thought he looked a bit slow to react / not at the races first half, not bad as such, but like a player who has not played all that much recently. But second half when we were allowed much more time on the ball he was very good.

My point is he’s not in a position where we can’t find replacements - he will inevitably be a high earner if we sign him.

Also his injury record is dreadful

We need to prioritise signings related to earnings - I’d focus higher earners further up the pitch

Grendel

cc84cov

My point is he’s not in a position where we can’t find replacements - he will inevitably be a high earner if we sign him.

We need to prioritise signings related to earnings - I’d focus higher earners further up the pitch
Didn’t we do that bringing in GYO ?

Frostie

He's a decent player certainly but I'd probably have preferred a striker of his experience in our current situation if one was available

They're almost always on massive money though aren't they. I'm sure if we could have we would have but the likes of Austin, Murray etc. are well out of our budget.

Grendel

They're almost always on massive money though aren't they. I'm sure if we could have we would have but the likes of Austin, Murray etc. are well out of our budget.

Everyone keeps saying that but you can still make you higher earners centre forwards and attract what you can with that money

Frostie

Everyone keeps saying that but you can still make you higher earners centre forwards and attract what you can with that money

Fair, but the question is who was available on a free in January that's:
A) Better than what we have available
B) On reasonable money
C) Either good enough to be first choice even when Godden & Walker are fit or content to be 4th/5th choice?

Briles

It seems to me on this forum that unless a player gets you off your seat or scores goals they are labled "average" or "anonymous". Im no expert but I can see why players like James, Shpley and Sheaf are played. They do the dirty work for our more creative players to shine. We cant have 11 messis. I sometimes wonder whether people who post actually watch games or just go off the post match stats and radio commentary.

hill83

Why don’t you just say that from the start then. Save a lot of pissing about.

Obtuse thread title.
Feather ruffling first post.
3 pages of arguments.
“Ah but my actual point was...”

Boring.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Obtuse thread title.
3 pages of arguments.

Boring.
To be honest I understood his point as that. I agree, we’re paying James a significant amount. We could have put that towards a better striker and an average DM.

don’t get me wrong, I like James but he was hardly a must bring in

Grendel

SBAndy

Indeed, a higher quality Kelly. Can’t say he ‘flatters to deceive’ as such because that’s his role. If you were expecting something different it’s you who’s at fault.

That said, take the point on high wages. I was a little sceptical of the signing in the first place given it looked to be blocking Sheaf’s route to the team (still do think that to an extent). He’s looked very good at what he does and I thought he was really impressive last night, but if he’s brought in permanently in the summer it has to be alongside further investment in our attacking options. I’m wary that that wouldn’t be financially viable, though.

johnwillomagic

I suppose Grendel it depends on if you think we were adequately covered in that position - it's not a glamorous position but teams that have someone who does that job very well on a consistent basis are the ones that invariably finish high up the league.

We have lost Kelly for a bit so it leaves Hamer & Sheaf with the latter being the more like for like comparison.

Gyo's wages will be high too probably not far off James given his position.and being at a premier league club..I.m not convinced he's worth it from what I have seen tbh.....

As someone has said strikers attract a premium in terms of wages too so not sure what striking talent we could have got in if we sacrificed James.

Also let's not forget we have not yet permanently signed James or Sheaf and may well not end up doing so.

PVA

I'd love to know which strikers were available and affordable who have played 40 times in the Premier League.

mark82

Not my stats but looks like it.
Whoscored have him at 3, level with Sheaf.

Worth noting, Tackle numbers are never as high as you might expect. James Garner was highest for the game with 4.
League leader averages 3.1 per game.

We also had the ball for a large portion of the game.

Skyblueweeman

Obtuse thread title.
3 pages of arguments.

Boring.

Yeah but we need to 'hear him out' first.

Users who are viewing this thread