Flatter to Deceive (1 Viewer)

Hobo

My point is he’s not in a position where we can’t find replacements - he will inevitably be a high earner if we sign him.

Also his injury record is dreadful

We need to prioritise signings related to earnings - I’d focus higher earners further up the pitch

Can I remind you of one of your own posts. Without knowing what the contract is and how much we are actually paying it is hard to judge who is actually good value and poor value.

You would prefer an experienced striker, but perhaps we couldn't attract one. We desperately need experience at this level and James gives us that. Midfield is what influences the game most. Its a good place to have experience.

Frostie

Refer back to the thread when Kelly got injured, almost everyone that commented here said it was essential we got somebody in for that role.
We did exactly that & signed a player of far higher calibre than anyone expected & some are still not happy.

D

Deleted member 11652

Refer back to the thread when Kelly got injured, almost everyone that commented here said it was essential we got somebody in for that role.
We did exactly that & signed a player of far higher calibre than anyone expected & some are still not happy.

Why do people always use what other people have said as some sort of confirmation that they’re right?

Frostie

Why do people always use what other people have said as some sort of confirmation that they’re right?

Not necessarily that, more pointing out that if we hadn't brought somebody decent in for that position you'd have even more people moaning.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Do you still think our injury problems aren't that bad?

Grendel

Can I remind you of one of your own posts. Without knowing what the contract is and how much we are actually paying it is hard to judge who is actually good value and poor value.

You would prefer an experienced striker, but perhaps we couldn't attract one. We desperately need experience at this level and James gives us that. Midfield is what influences the game most. Its a good place to have experience.

Well Barnsley were claiming they couldn’t afford wages quoted at something like £18k a week wasn’t it? I don’t see it that high but it will be significant

Skybluedownunder

To be honest I’d have rather we got Troy Parrott than Gyokeres, he’s ended up going Ipswich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 11652

Not necessarily that, more pointing out that if we hadn't brought somebody decent in for that position you'd have even more people moaning.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Do you still think our injury problems aren't that bad?

I mean it doesn’t really matter whether people moan it’s the results that matter.

Losing Dabo since is a blow but then Derby have just lost Bielik. Swings and roundabouts like I said before.

Frostie

I mean it doesn’t really matter whether people moan it’s the results that matter.

Losing Dabo since is a blow but then Derby have just lost Bielik. Swings and roundabouts like I said before.

Not really. Yes, Bielik's quality is irreplaceable, but despite not paying wages & being under an embargo recently they've found the budget to go out & sign 5 new players - we don't have that luxury.

You can also obviously add Sheaf, Thompson, Wilson & McFadz to our unavailable list.

D

Deleted member 11652

Not really. Yes, Bielik's quality is irreplaceable, but despite not paying wages & being under an embargo recently they've found the budget to go out & sign 5 new players - we don't have that luxury.

You can also obviously add Sheaf, Wilson & McFadz to our unavailable list.

They also sold Morgan Whittaker for a decent fee. And there is no correlation between teams budgets and squad size in regards to their injury luck. Having equally bad injuries but a better squad does not equate to having been lucky with injuries.

Fadz is back. Not arsed about a reserve keeper. Sheaf is a blow but I’m sure your return argument to that would be that we’ve signed Matty James who’s not exactly cheap

Frostie

Have you not watched us recently? Wilson had earned the right to be No.1 & was keeping Marosi on the bench & James was to replace Kelly & has been starting alongside Sheaf.

We've gone over all this before so will leave it there. Most think we've been unfortunate, you think we've been poorly managed & are poor in recruitment. Your opinion, that's fine.

Frostie

Well Barnsley were claiming they couldn’t afford wages quoted at something like £18k a week wasn’t it? I don’t see it that high but it will be significant

Some Barnsley fans guessed that as the only reason they could see to justify letting him go. The club said they just let him go to bring through their own, younger talent.

I don't doubt he's on decent money, decent players usually are. Do I believe we could have got a similar player on less money & find a better striker to both fit within our budget?
No, I don't but we obviously don't know all the details.

D

Deleted member 11652

Have you not watched us recently? Wilson had earned the right to be No.1 & was keeping Marosi on the bench & James was to replace Kelly & has been starting alongside Sheaf.

We've gone over all this before so will leave it there. Most think we've been unfortunate, you think we've been poorly managed & are poor in recruitment. Your opinion, that's fine.

If you genuinely believe Wilson had earned the number one spot then we’ll just leave it there😂

Grendel

Some Barnsley fans guessed that as the only reason they could see to justify letting him go. The club said they just let him go to bring through their own, younger talent.

I don't doubt he's on decent money, decent players usually are. Do I believe we could have got a similar player on less money & find a better striker to both fit within our budget?
No, I don't but we obviously don't know all the details.

I also don’t get the need to replace Kelly when we’d been playing without him anyway - he’s played 11 games

Skyblueweeman

They also sold Morgan Whittaker for a decent fee. And there is no correlation between teams budgets and squad size in regards to their injury luck. Having equally bad injuries but a better squad does not equate to having been lucky with injuries.

Fadz is back. Not arsed about a reserve keeper. Sheaf is a blow but I’m sure your return argument to that would be that we’ve signed Matty James who’s not exactly cheap

Isn't Fadz out with Covid?

Brighton Sky Blue

I suppose Grendel it depends on if you think we were adequately covered in that position - it's not a glamorous position but teams that have someone who does that job very well on a consistent basis are the ones that invariably finish high up the league.

We have lost Kelly for a bit so it leaves Hamer & Sheaf with the latter being the more like for like comparison.

Gyo's wages will be high too probably not far off James given his position.and being at a premier league club..I.m not convinced he's worth it from what I have seen tbh.....

As someone has said strikers attract a premium in terms of wages too so not sure what striking talent we could have got in if we sacrificed James.

Also let's not forget we have not yet permanently signed James or Sheaf and may well not end up doing so.

Well if we go down we won’t get either

Grendel

Well if we go down we won’t get either

the story is players are too expensive if forwards - I have no idea but is Cauley Woodrow on huge wages as an example?

Grendel

Good ones are harder to find and more expensive. Who would you have gone for in the window just gone?

Well oddly I don’t scout clubs looking for options and also would have zero idea whose available and who isn’t but even if chances are taken on lower league players if that’s all we can get - we have effectively lower league strikers playing now and they weren’t very good in the lower leagues

Brighton Sky Blue

Well oddly I don’t scout clubs looking for options and also would have zero idea whose available and who isn’t but even if chances are taken on lower league players if that’s all we can get - we have effectively lower league strikers playing now and they weren’t very good in the lower leagues

No but if we want better than what we’ve got it’s very likely to cost more than we can afford.

superskyblue

Like the bloke at the pub quiz who'll happily tell you your suggestions are wrong but hasn't got a fucking scooby what the answer is himself.

Frostie

the story is players are too expensive if forwards - I have no idea but is Cauley Woodrow on huge wages as an example?

Nobody can know definitively but was rumoured at £7.5k -8k. Not sure if that's before he signed a new deal though. @Barnsley may have a better idea.
He joined them in 2018 though, for £700k rising to £1.2m. We'd only just been promoted to League One then.

A better question would be has a player moved in January to a similar placed club to us, on realistic money, that would significantly improve us more than Gyökeres will?
I can't think of many.

Arguably Elijah Adebayo from Walsall to Luton. He would have been a good few hundred thousand though & it's a big step up from League 2. Is he significantly better than Godden, Walker & Gyökeres? Too early to tell & a lot of pressure for us to put on him.

Daryl Dike could potentially be a good move for Barnsley but again, there's no saying how well players from the MLS will transition - historically it's not great so no guarantees. Big future fee on his deal too.

mark82

To be honest I’d have rather we got Troy Parrott than Gyokeres, he’s ended up going Ipswich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think Parrott will become a good player, but he's never scored a senior goal. Gyökeres at least had a track record in the German second tier last year where he scored 7 goals.

Brighton Sky Blue

Think Parrott will become a good player, but he's never scored a senior goal. Gyökeres at least had a track record in the German second tier last year where he scored 7 goals.

He’s playing such a weird role I don’t know what to make of him. Threw himself about well on Saturday but ghosted through Tuesday. Strange one

superskyblue

He’s playing such a weird role I don’t know what to make of him. Threw himself about well on Saturday but ghosted through Tuesday. Strange one
I reckon he's looked decent so far. Hold up play is pretty good. And his movement for the goal was good. A couple of times he's looked to be short of confidence in the penalty area but I'm optimistic that will come. He's certainly an upgrade on Baka and Biamou. Not sure about Godden and Walker yet.

Frostie

Agree. Millwall are one of the lowest scoring teams in the division & he still couldn't get a look in & has had to drop to League One to try & get some minutes.
Gyökeres has a far better record & is a full Sweden international

Brighton Sky Blue

I reckon he's looked decent so far. Hold up play is pretty good. And his movement for the goal was good. A couple of times he's looked to be short of confidence in the penalty area but I'm optimistic that will come. He's certainly an upgrade on Baka and Biamou. Not sure about Godden and Walker yet.

I guess I’m saying I don’t know what his role is on the pitch, sometimes playing as a wide midfielder others as a strike partner.

Users who are viewing this thread