Fixtures 22/23 (2 Viewers)

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Interesting view of perceived difficulty of fixtures - @Philosorapter , you might like this (graphic in tweet)

Yer, that's interesting. On the (bookies odds) face of it, we've got a nice spread of 'hard' games.

Looking at Watford's start, Rob Edwards might be looking for a new job after 3 games 😅

TwistAndShoutCCFC1987

I’m missing quite a few games in august as i’m on holiday - So i really want to go to sunderland. Not looking forward to the scramble for tickets though. Anyone know how the new points system will work?

pusbccfc

fernandopartridge

Would have rather played Sunderland later, I’d imagine their place will be bouncing first game back in the Championship, similar to our game vs Forest last season. Looks a pretty kind start, really need to look to be taking a decent amount of points early on. Reading and Birmingham back to back at home right at the end of the season is nice too.

I don't think it will as their fans have a divine right mentality, if we go ahead they'll be on the players' backs

Philosorapter

Interesting view of perceived difficulty of fixtures - @Philosorapter , you might like this (graphic in tweet)

All new teams entering the division get a 1500 rating, old teams keep their ratings. All teams also have their Rating Deviation reset to 350, with the RD getting progressively smaller when more games are played. This will give a decent accurate spread of how new teams are doing against established teams which already have a recognised rating in the league, given the results.

Most teams will lose or gain players between seasons, which means assessing the ratings or places from where a team has finished last year to this year, could be described as a little dubious. You would expect that teams dropping a division would have a higher rating than a team around a top of the division (and vice versa for teams going up a division) but this is not always the case, and can throw off any accuracy when doing ratings.

Six games in should give everyone a better view on the weightings of each team in the division, this should then solidify more around the tenth to fourteenth game.

Think I may do a GIF of this process for the first 12 games to show the process.

Edit - when I talk about 1500 for anything, it is the midway point in the league. Just thought I would throw that in. It is what everything is truly balanced around.

Last edited:

Esoterica

All new teams entering the division get a 1500 rating, old teams keep their ratings. All teams also have their Rating Deviation reset to 350, with the RD getting progressively smaller when more games are played. This will give a decent accurate spread of how new teams are doing against established teams which already have a recognised rating in the league, given the results.

Most teams will lose or gain players between seasons, which means assessing the ratings or places from where a team has finished last year to this year, could be described as a little dubious. You would expect that teams dropping a division would have a higher rating than a team around a top of the division (and vice versa for teams going up a division) but this is not always the case, and can throw off any accuracy when doing ratings.

Six games in should give everyone a better view on the weightings of each team in the division, this should then solidify more around the tenth to fourteenth game.

Think I may do a GIF of this process for the first 12 games to show the process.

Edit - when I talk about 1500 for anything, it is the midway point in the league. Just thought I would throw that in. It is what everything is truly balanced around.

giphy.gif

alexccfc99

The Sunderland forum is in over drive.

some guy saying he is going to crack some skyblue sculls, others saying it’s an easy fixture as we only finished mid table.

My favourite was the bloke who said none of our players would stand out in League 1 - Like most of them didn’t romp to the League title the other season:D

SlowerThanPlatt

You make it look all so easy

pusbccfc

Rotherham will bring a few for the first home game. Crazily the first time they've played at the Ricoh/CBS. They've played us at Sixfields and St Andrews.

Paxman II

I think it's a great fixture list for us. On paper it looks easy street for the first month or so bar an odd one. I don't think Sunderland will be an immediate force of any kind in their first season back, and will should beat them comfortably on opening day. A good early run sets the season up and I think we will get that. Looking very positive for us this fixture list. of course we are always proven wrong by someone and are surprised by some other teams. But think it's safe to say we will start in the top 6 and remain in the top 6 all season, with the chance of top two. Will Norwich lead the way? Not so sure this time for them.

SlowerThanPlatt

I reckon this should be the starting position for the 2022/23 season

View attachment 25058

View attachment 25059

Not bad but the obvious flaw is the promoted and relegated teams on the same ranking, do you not factor in what leagues they were playing in? A team relegated from the Premier League more often than not will be stronger than a team promoted from League 1

Philosorapter

Not bad but the obvious flaw is the promoted and relegated teams on the same ranking, do you not factor in what leagues they were playing in?

The rating deviation sorts that out. A win of a 1500 against a 1634 on the first day of the season will give a rating of 1707 ;)

Also, a loss of a 1500 against a 1373 will give a rating of 1295.

Around the end of the season, you will probably have a spread of 15 points at best with the same results.

Whether they have come up or down a division is immaterial.

Teams with the better ability rises with the results etc.

The stability in the ratings usually kicks in around games 10-14.

Last edited:

Legia Sky Blue

I think it's a great fixture list for us. On paper it looks easy street for the first month or so bar an odd one. I don't think Sunderland will be an immediate force of any kind in their first season back, and will should beat them comfortably on opening day. A good early run sets the season up and I think we will get that. Looking very positive for us this fixture list. of course we are always proven wrong by someone and are surprised by some other teams. But think it's safe to say we will start in the top 6 and remain in the top 6 all season, with the chance of top two. Will Norwich lead the way? Not so sure this time for them.

Been on the happy pills again? I'm all for being positive and understand how you might 'hope' we have such a season, but your expectations appear to be beyond the realistic based where we are at right now.

Sunderland will not be the pushover you think they will be either. Playing them first game at their place is the worst possible time as they will become a much softer touch as the season progresses. They will still have the feel good factor from their promotion, urged on by a big crowd who will be vociferous, and on this occasion anyway, that will stick with them. The whole day will be about them, that's why its on TV and I expect there will be only minimal focus on us, which will undoubtedly rise the hackles of a number of posters on here. Obviously still hoping we stick it to them, but its far from being a shoe in.

CV22SBA

Been on the happy pills again? I'm all for being positive and understand how you might 'hope' we have such a season, but your expectations appear to be beyond the realistic based where we are at right now.

Sunderland will not be the pushover you think they will be either. Playing them first game at their place is the worst possible time as they will become a much softer touch as the season progresses. They will still have the feel good factor from their promotion, urged on by a big crowd who will be vociferous, and on this occasion anyway, that will stick with them. The whole day will be about them, that's why its on TV and I expect there will be only minimal focus on us, which will undoubtedly rise the hackles of a number of posters on here. Obviously still hoping we stick it to them, but its far from being a shoe in.
Let’s not forget either that Sunderland finished 5th in L1. Doesn’t look like they are strengthening too much over the summer and I think the best they can hope for is to survive and build from there. Playing in front of 30K and on Sky will not phase us. At the end of the season we stuffed Fulham & Blues away from home and picked up points against WBA & Stoke who we should have comfortably beat on the last day. We’re a decent, organised side under Robins and Sunderland are in for a shock at how strong this league is. I think we’ll finish top 10, Sunderland will stay up but not higher than 18th.

Users who are viewing this thread