First ever CCFC memories ? (1 Viewer)

cc84cov

What’s everyone’s first ever match ?

Never forget my first game my dad took me to highfield road in the M&B family stand might have been McDonalds stand was one of them but I remember walking up the stairs thinking look how big that pitch is,we had the stripe kit with the bright yellow sponsor.

Never forget we had a player at the back who held his arms out holding the line with a full curly head of hair,that man was called Brian Kilckline.

great times

Ring Of Steel

Never forget my first game my dad took me to highfield road in the M&B family stand might have been McDonalds stand was one of them but I remember walking up the stairs thinking look how big that pitch is,we had the stripe kit with the bright yellow sponsor.

Never forget we had a player at the back who held his arms out holding the line with a full curly head of hair,that man was called Brian Kilckline.

great times

Love this one :)

My memories are blurred and I can kind of split it into two categories.

My dad used to provide the meat for the Grandstand Restaurant, and had a box (box number 5 at pitch level) and my proper first memories are of going in there, messing about with the old guy on the door, then watching TV and every now and then being sucked in by the way the grown ups were getting excited and the crowd noise, then after the game a player would often come in- I've got photos of me with Kevin Keegan, Peter Shilton, Mick Channon, Tommy Hutchison, Ian Wallace (his eye was all bandaged up, don't know why)- then the grown ups would get hammered and I'd watch Doctor Who with certain other posters on here. Specific things stick out- Bobby McDonald watching the game and me not understanding why he wasn't playing- he was apparently my favourite and had just signed for Man City- the ball thumping the window after a wild clearance, they were great days. Got one of my most prized possessions during that time- a fiver signed by Jimmy Hill saying "to rob, a sky blue for life hopefully, yours, JH". But throughout that time the football wasn't really the focus, it was the day out and the fun, that lasted through until about 82/83 I'd say.

Fast forward a couple of years and the box had gone and I'd developed into a big fan but didn't go to games, my dad took me to us v Newcastle and we drew 1-1, Kenny Hibbitt scored a free kick and i was mesmerised, but it wasn't the football so much.. the feeling walking around the corner onto the Sky Blue Terrace, seeing the big green pitch for the first time as a proper football fan, the sky blue seats and the players warming up- seemingly enormous but tiny at the same time- "human" I guess after only seeing this team on TV, I felt sick with nerves and utterly in love with the whole scene, the whole place, my team, my people, my city- it was just magical. There are some sights that will never fade away as long as I live- Houchen diving seemingly right towards me as he scored in the cup final, Regis hanging in the air with time stood still as he scored the winner v Spurs in '86, JH appearing in the Main Stand in '05 to lead the Sky Blue song, but that first glimpse of HR as a "proper fan" might just be the most profound of all.

And here is the match itself..

Brilliant thread :)

Last edited:

Robccfc87

great times

That is exactly how I would have worded my first memory, me old grandad took me, he's got a lot to answer for!!!!

cc84cov

My dad used to provide the meat for the Grandstand Restaurant, and had a box (box number 5 at pitch level) and my proper first memories are of going in there, messing about with the old guy on the door, then watching TV and every now and then being sucked in by the way the grown ups were getting excited and the crowd noise, then after the game a player would often come in- I've got photos of me with Kevin Keegan, Peter Shilton, Mick Channon, Tommy Hutchison, Ian Wallace (his eye was all bandaged up, don't know why)- then the grown ups would get hammered and I'd watch Doctor Who with certain other posters on here. Specific things stick out- Bobby McDonald watching the game and me not understanding why he wasn't playing- he was apparently my favourite and had just signed for Man City- the ball thumping the window after a wild clearance, they were great days. Got one of my most prized possessions during that time- a fiver signed by Jimmy Hill saying "to rob, a sky blue for life hopefully, yours, JH". But throughout that time the football wasn't really the focus, it was the day out and the fun, that lasted through until about 82/83 I'd say.

Fast forward a couple of years and the box had gone and I'd developed into a big fan but didn't go to games, my dad took me to us v Newcastle and we drew 1-1, Kenny Hibbitt scored a free kick and i was mesmerised, but it wasn't the football so much.. the feeling walking around the corner onto the Sky Blue Terrace, seeing the big green pitch for the first time as a proper football fan, the sky blue seats and the players warming up- seemingly enormous but tiny at the same time- "human" I guess after only seeing this team on TV, I felt sick with nerves and utterly in love with the whole scene, the whole place, my team, my people, my city- it was just magical. There are some sights that will never fade away as long as I live- Houchen diving seemingly right towards me as he scored in the cup final, Regis hanging in the air with time stood still as he scored the winner v Spurs in '86, JH appearing in the Main Stand in '05 to lead the Sky Blue song, but that first glimpse of HR as a "proper fan" might just be the most profound of all.

Love this mate

robbiethemole

first memories are as a 6 yr old circa 1960, Boxing Day game with the old man and bil, West stand upper no idea who against!!!! Did a few others after, but not really taking much notice. Next real involvement 1966/67 season after the World Cup as a 12yr old and going to games with a mate on the bus from Rugby, and the fabulous outcome of that season.
Dyed in the wool after that, West End during the 70's, then Kop End as I got older and more sensible hahaha. Both my sons have been part of the recent past, older one "thinks" he supports United, youngest is like me,Sky Blue thru and thru, has City tats on the inside of his arm.

scottccfc

My first game was against spurs in the coca cola cup, not knowing the relative recent history between the two sides! I'm sure we was 2-0 down and won 3-2.
We was in the old McDonalds stand just seeing how green the grass was and the whole atmosphere took me in!

cc84cov

My first game was against spurs in the coca cola cup, not knowing the relative recent history between the two sides! I'm sure we was 2-0 down and won 3-2.
We was in the old McDonalds stand just seeing how green the grass was and the whole atmosphere took me in!
I was at this evening match ? Spurs had a yellow kit ? Dublin came back from injury at half time we won 3-2 great night I was in thr west terrace with my dad stood on my seat lol he used to wanna sit in a normal stand I used to beg him to let us sit where they sing lol

Magwitch

First game around 1961 two games I went to Bury then Walsall we lost both 2-1 sat in the old stand opposite the players tunnel I remember the cigar smell and men yelling at the players. Went to a few the next season including my first away match at Brentford lost the 2-1 too, perhaps should have took the hint, got goalkeeper Arthur Lightenings autograph he looked about 10 foot tall, took it to school and showed everyone. Old man got season tickets for the 1962 season and I was mesmerised at “stars” like Lightening, captain George Curtis, Stuart Imlach a Scottish international, and Mike Grice signed from first division West Ham, it was the Kings Lynn season and the coming of the messiah Jimmy Hill, so seed was well and truly sewn by then perhaps even saved me, my uncle Ken big Villa fan tried to get me to watch them. Lucky escape me thinks.

Ring Of Steel

Out of interest.... I said that the best team I ever saw was Liverpool '88.

Growing up, I was always told that the greatest English club side was probably Spurs '61, Bill Nicholson and all that. Anyone happen to have seen them in the flesh or able to say whether they were that good? I would have loved to have seen them play if they were as good as people say.

One game my dad always talks about is Peterborough away, I guess '66 or so- we were going for promotion and completely took over London Road because a win (I think) took us up, it was like a home game by all accounts. And in a portent of many occasions to come in the future we promptly lost 2-0... anyone remember that one?

cc84cov

Out of interest.... I said that the best team I ever saw was Liverpool '88.

Growing up, I was always told that the greatest English club side was probably Spurs '61, Bill Nicholson and all that. Anyone happen to have seen them in the flesh or able to say whether they were that good? I would have loved to have seen them play if they were as good as people say.

One game my dad always talks about is Peterborough away, I guess '66 or so- we were going for promotion and completely took over London Road because a win (I think) took us up, it was like a home game by all accounts. And in a portent of many occasions to come in the future we promptly lost 2-0... anyone remember that one?
Best team I’ve saw here we probably Arsenal Bergkamp,Wright etc great side

oscillatewildly

And here is the match itself..

* Re Ian Wallace 'bandaged eye' - I'm pretty sure he had quite a nasty car accident. Footballers and car accidents were quite common place in the 1970's, Ernie Machin too.
A top Chelsea player and his missus killed, leaving their kids orphaned.

Skyblueweeman

Sat 15th Oct, 1988. Home vs Millwall, 0-0.

If anyone can find line ups for that game, that would be cool.

I had only moved over to England from NI the year before. This game, as an 8 year old was something that I had never experienced anything like before. My step dads old man (God rest his soul) asked if I was going to buy a programme. I was thinking...how can I buy a TV programme?! Never knew what such a thing was before!

Walking up the stairs into the main stand and then out into the open air seeing the pitch for the first time is a thought I'll never forget.

Cant remember much about the game thought but a 0-0 at home to Millwall on a cold October day...I can't imagine there was much to write home about!!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

mr_monkey

Mid season friendly against Bayern Munich at some point mid 90s, first ever football match and I was hooked from the first minute

oscillatewildly

I had only moved over to England from NI the year before. This game, as an 8 year old was something that I had never experienced anything like before. My step dads old man (God rest his soul) asked if I was going to buy a programme. I was thinking...how can I buy a TV programme?! Never knew what such a thing was before!

Walking up the stairs into the main stand and then out into the open air seeing the pitch for the first time is a thought I'll never forget.

Cant remember much about the game thought but a 0-0 at home to Millwall on a cold October day...I can't imagine there was much to write home about!!

I remember this one - Not so much the game - as you say, very little to recall. But Millwall in their first ever top flight season, bringing quite a lot. Their perceived 'reputation' being the cause for a fair few of our nutters to make an appearance and the constant 'chinging' of coins which were been thrown from their side landing around where I was sat on the Sky Blue Terrace.
I didn't hang around after the game because I was catching a train to gig somewhere, I needed to get home for a quick change. I'd just stepped off the 21 on St James's Lane when a car full of Millwall turned up outside the local shop - to refuel on cans. They gave me a bit of lip but nothing serious. A minute later still on the lane the car drove past, windows down, same bit of abuse.
As stated - I was in a bit of a hurry so I decided to combine running after the car giving it shed loads of bollocks back, safe in the knowledge I had to branch off shortly to my street!
I'll never forget the look of astonishment on their faces as they probably thought 'This f%$*in nutter's going for it'!
p.s. If I had the know how (I am very low level tech savvy) I would include the link to: 11v11. It's a really good site for old fixtures and the details.

Ring Of Steel

They were flying and there was all sorts of hype about "millwall fans" beforehand at school, but nothing happened that I was aware of, and it was a quiet game. Here's the lineup:

Steve Ogrozovic
Brian Borrows
Greg Downs
Steve Sedgeley
Brian Kilcline
Trevor Peake
Micky Gynn
David Speedie
Cyrille Regis
Gary Bannister
David Smith

Irish Sky Blue

* Re Ian Wallace 'bandaged eye' - I'm pretty sure he had quite a nasty car accident. Footballers and car accidents were quite common place in the 1970's, Ernie Machin too.
A top Chelsea player and his missus killed, leaving their kids orphaned.
I was about to post the same thing about Ian Wallace. Wasn't it touch and go as to whether he would have full vision again? I don't think he had made his debut at the point he had the accident.
Re- the Chelsea player, Peter Houseman rings a bell?.

oscillatewildly

I was about to post the same thing about Ian Wallace. Wasn't it touch and go as to whether he would have full vision again? I don't think he had made his debut at the point he had the accident.
Re- the Chelsea player, Peter Houseman rings a bell?.
Sounds about right. Houseman, Hutchinson?

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

It was either a draw with Everton in the league or with Norwich in the FA Cup in the early/mid 90s. I can't really remember anything of either game but im sure one of those was my first game. I can also remember someone calling Ray Parlour a poof whilst sat in the family stand, nothing else about the game though! The first goals i can recall were in a 2-1 win over Newcastle, Huckerby, McAllister and Shearer i think. My Dad got a load of evils for clapping Shearer's goal (he wasn't a regular at HR and was only going to shut me up i think!).

I used to love the walk through the streets to Highfield Road and the general buzz that seemed to be about the place on a matchday.

LincolnNick

It was 1969 vs Man Utd and my dad let me share his seat in the West Stand. I was only 7 at the time.
I bought the original programme on eBay for £1 so I can tell you amongst the Man Utd players were Best, Law and Charlton so not a bad game to start with. The attendance was one of our highest ever but I think we lost 1-0. There was an interview in the programme with a young fan called Kirk Stephens!

Ring Of Steel

It was 1969 vs Man Utd and my dad let me share his seat in the West Stand. I was only 7 at the time.
I bought the original programme on eBay for £1 so I can tell you amongst the Man Utd players were Best, Law and Charlton so not a bad game to start with. The attendance was one of our highest ever but I think we lost 1-0. There was an interview in the programme with a young fan called Kirk Stephens!

43,446 apparently

Coventry City v Manchester United, 08 November 1969

steve cooper

I can't actually remember my first game but it was in 1966. I got interested following the world cup. I wasn't working so couldn't afford to go but I remember someone told me that they opened the gates at half time and you could just walk in, which is what I did.

Walsgrave

First game was as an eight year old back in March 2006. At the new RICOH Arena against Preston. Preston won 1-0 but I still have the broadsheet programme. Micky Adams was in charge and we we were undergoing operaton Premier League. That season ended up beng our best season outside of the top flight (we finished eigth if I remember rightly), and then we had a series of seasons afterwards (until until 2011) where we always started brigthly before tailing off to lower mid table mediocrity.

The coventrian

Cant remember my 1st home game but I can remember my 1st away. It was Blackburn in the fa cup. We lost 1 nil. There was a bit of trouble outside. Around 1980 I think. I'm sure me and my dad went there on a football special from cov.

The coventrian

First game was as an eight year old back in March 2006. At the new RICOH Arena against Preston. Preston won 1-0 but I still have the broadsheet programme. Micky Adams was in charge and we we were undergoing operaton Premier League. That season ended up beng our best season outside of the top flight (we finished eigth if I remember rightly), and then we had a series of seasons afterwards (until until 2011) where we always started brigthly before tailing off to lower mid table mediocrity.
Your 1st ever game was at the ricoh?
Christ you've watched some shite.

Brighton Sky Blue

First game I went to was a 2-2 draw at home to Arsenal, we were sat right behind the goal and I remember Grandad checking I wouldn't cry if we lost (I was 7). When people got up at half time I thought it meant everyone had to change seats and I also remember someone saying 'we should have killed these off already' which of course we didn't. Got a pretty good view of Paul Williams' red card

steveo1987

My dad took me for the first time in 1973.The whole family had season tickets and i probably can remember games from '78/'79 onwards .I'm 52 now and still have season tickets now with my 11 yr old lad

Users who are viewing this thread