Best and worst Sky Blue moments (3 Viewers)

Danceswithhorses

With Derby being my nemesis club, the 2005 final day 6-2 thrashing of them was a great moment for me.
The fact that in the following year (2006) we then beat them 6-1, was just the icing on the cake.
FA Cup run in 87 and the subsequent win was amazing...i was 17, and it was, and will always be a great day i'll never forget.

Biggest regret....missing watching us being crowned champions of Division 1 when covid struck...just typical of our luck for us to have empty stadiums with our teams only league winners trophy in a bazillion years, due to a once in a century pandemic (remember we also missed European football after our fa cup win in '87, through no fault of our own).
Still very proud of the league 1 winning team that year though, as i am of this years team too...our form exceeded all of my expectations this season, and SISU leaving was a Brucey bonus.
I'm hoping good times are ahead, and think we can really push on next season with a great set up behind the scenes, as well as on the pitch.

ajl

Best: when that 2nd goal went in against Manchester United in 2007, limbs everywhere, strangers all hugging each other, everyone going mental

Worst: Southampton away, relegated to league 1 thinking we would never get back up

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

AJB1983

In terms of just those few moments immediately following something, I think I have to agree with most above - Hamers goal on Saturday I haven’t celebrated like that in ages - with the family by my side, just a special moment.
And in terms of feeling shit that moment when i saw the ball leave Dabo’s boot and it was going high and wide (my view was right behind it) that moment of ‘well that’s it’ and the immediate thought of Wilson doesn’t even get a chance at saving the next one. Horrible.

Other similar moments - Stern John scoring against Wolves towards the end of the final season at highfield rd where he dribbled it from the touch line - I celebrated that like we’d won the league - in the west terrace so rather than just stand up and clap and fist pump it was a ‘bounce up and down’

Jordan Willis goal at Wembley, came out of nowhere and I seem to remember thinking ‘this is it’

losing to sheff utd on pens in fa cup in 1998 - listening to it on radio, and when the last player missed (was it telfer?) in that moment I was proper gutted.

And although I can’t really remember I’m pretty sure the very moments I heard that players such as Dublin, Keane, huckerby and Boateng were being sold would have hit me hard.

Calista

Kilcline's goal against Luton.
Was that the very late pen in one of the 3 games we needed to stay up? Got a picture in my mind of him belting it as if was a shot from 35 yards. Keeper would have been well advised just to get out of the way of it 🤣
One of so many great escape moments.

Hertsccfc

Was that the very late pen in one of the 3 games we needed to stay up? Got a picture in my mind of him belting it as if was a shot from 35 yards. Keeper would have been well advised just to get out of the way of it 🤣
One of so many great escape moments.
It wasn't a penalty but was a shot from around the penalty spot and was blasted low and hard into the corner. Yes it was the first of the three matches we had to win. We went on to win at Stoke and home to Everton to stay up.

Calista

It wasn't a penalty but was a shot from around the penalty spot and was blasted low and hard into the corner. Yes it was the first of the three matches we had to win. We went on to win at Stoke and home to Everton to stay up.
So my memory is playing tricks on me laughing 🤣
I can still see one of Killer's penalties in my head, straight down the middle at 100 miles an hour not far under the bar, with the keeper powerless to do anything. Must have been a different game!
That 3 match sequence was a ridiculous escape.

Flying Fokker

Garry Thompson’s own Goal,

Garry Thompson scoring his second.

Ian Wallace bicycle kick.

Hamer at Wembley.

Us equalizing against WBA in the cup, then extra time. Or was it West Ham?

Us conceding in the 87 semi-final at Hillsborough

Jim Blyth’s closing minutes penalty save 5-4 Norwich. what a game.

Houchen’s header,

Mabbutt‘s knee.

Calista

Garry Thompson’s own Goal,
Garry Thompson scoring his second.
Ian Wallace bicycle kick.
Hamer at Wembley.
Us equalizing against WBA in the cup, then extra time. Or was it West Ham?
Us conceding in the 87 semi-final at Hillsborough
Jim Blyth’s closing minutes penalty save 5-4 Norwich. what a game.
Houchen’s header,
Mabbutt‘s knee.
I've got pictures in my head for all of those, which are indeed magic/tragic moments. Apart from the WBA/West Ham one, which is a mystery to me!

Domo

worst

villa relegation (had to watch it from the home seats with a villa fan, absolutely horrendous, i do not recommend.)
Last saturday
Crewe at the ricoh
Dublin being sold when i was a kid
watching us get stuffed by gillingham in the cup 1996 (never liked gillingham since then)

Best
seeing promotion at Wembley
seeing checkatrade win at Wembley
hamers goal at Middleborough
general walk to Highfield road, and the steps to our seats in the family stand. (god i miss that)

Flying Fokker

I've got pictures in my head for all of those, which are indeed magic/tragic moments. Apart from the WBA/West Ham one, which is a mystery to me!
I don’t remember either! Yikes. I know it was at the Ricoh, could have sworn there was extra time. Today, I can’t be arsed to look anymore!

BTW People have mentioned Crewe I hadn’t forgotten. It’s just been erased from memory. Strange game in front of so many people.

Flying Fokker

worst

villa relegation (had to watch it from the home seats with a villa fan, absolutely horrendous, i do not recommend.)
Last saturday
Crewe at the ricoh
Dublin being sold when i was a kid
watching us get stuffed by gillingham in the cup 1996 (never liked gillingham since then)

Best
seeing promotion at Wembley
seeing checkatrade win at Wembley
hamers goal at Middleborough
general walk to Highfield road, and the steps to our seats in the family stand. (god i miss that)
Dublin and Huckerby -my sons goldfish dying😉

Sky Blue Wozza

Worst: There have more traumatic/ sickening moments in the intervening years (actual relegation x 3, Saturday), but can remember feeling absolutely certain that we were going down following a 1-2 defeat to Derby in May 1997. Absolutely heartbroken leaving HR that day. Also another vote for the Sheff Utd FA Cup defeat the year after - get through that pen shoot out and I reckon we would have won it.

Best:

Play off Semi this year
Notts County 2018
Villa Park 1998 (watching it on my own in the Holte End)

Jimmy Hill’s Goatee

Best moments

checkatrade final

Gus’s goal on Saturday

Ndlovu’s crazy runs and goals in the 90s

Big Mo’s crazy runs out of defence

Man ure at old Trafford mifsuds goals and the beeping horns all the way back down the M6 after

Huckerby’s winner v Man Utd

Moldovan’s winner at Villa park

the 5-1 v Liverpool where we Sang bring on the villa tonight swiftly followed By the 3-0 v Villa the week after best Xmas hols ever!

Ndlovu’s anfield winner

signing hadji and Chippo

worst moments

sheff Utd away on pens

Saturday on pens

relegation v Villa when Cyrille scored

when Dublin and a Boateng left and went to Villa

the way Mickey Quinn and our season went down the pan after we sold Rosario

turning up to games and finding out stuart robson was injured in the warm
Up again

fatso

Watching Mifsud rip Man U apart at Old Trafford in the cup in front of 9000 city fans, and hearing the sky blue army in full glory, singing their hearts out, what a night.

Worse time, dropping out of the Premier league. Then somehow finding ourselves in league 2 with shit owners who hadn't got a clue.

Jonny Barton

Best moments - Moldovans goal at Villa, staying up at Spurs in 97, Huckerbys goal v Man Utd, Bennets and then Houchens Cup Final equalisers, Keanes goal at home to Villa

Worst - Sheff Utd pen shoot out, Holte End waving us goodbye and singing " We'll meet again", losing at home to Derby in 97 and thinking we were down, losing 3-2 at home to Charlton in FA Cup after being 2 up (turning point downwards for the club), losing semi in League Cup to Forest in 90

Sky Blue Pete

Best moments - Moldovans goal at Villa, staying up at Spurs in 97, Huckerbys goal v Man Utd, Bennets and then Houchens Cup Final equalisers, Keanes goal at home to Villa

Worst - Sheff Utd pen shoot out, Holte End waving us goodbye and singing " We'll meet again", losing at home to Derby in 97 and thinking we were down, losing 3-2 at home to Charlton in FA Cup after being 2 up (turning point downwards for the club), losing semi in League Cup to Forest in 90
All these

Covcraig@bury

My Best occasion was 1977 watching Tommy Hutchinson score his first goal against Bristol City ( last game of the season ) .
My second best was also in 1977 watching Tommy Hutchinson score his second goal to put us 2-0 up Against Bristol City.
Strangely enough Bristol City scored 2 goals to level and the game finished 2-2 .
Then would you believe it Scumberland got relegated because they are shite wank stains from south Newcastle.
There’s never a bad time to be Sky Blue, if I feel down I just reminded myself I could have been born south of Newcastle in a shite hole where people eat crustaceans filled bogies called welks .

its a buzzard

My Best occasion was 1977 watching Tommy Hutchinson score his first goal against Bristol City ( last game of the season ) .
My second best was also in 1977 watching Tommy Hutchinson score his second goal to put us 2-0 up Against Bristol City.
Strangely enough Bristol City scored 2 goals to level and the game finished 2-2 .
Then would you believe it Scumberland got relegated because they are shite wank stains from south Newcastle.
There’s never a bad time to be Sky Blue, if I feel down I just reminded myself I could have been born south of Newcastle in a shite hole where people eat crustaceans filled bogies called welks .
Hutchison and whelks.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Ironface

Best: Magical moments from the 92 campaign . A season beating villa and Liverpool at home in a week at xmas
.Ndlovus goal v Norwich and many others

Worst: relegation day ,there's been a few tbf

Terry_dactyl

That FA Cup defeat to Sheff Utd is still my worse moment supporting city.
It hit me so hard, it still haunts me now.
I know it should be one of the semi final defeats, or a relegation or Saturday, but that result really got to me.
Winning the Cup final was the best.
It’s that we knew we would beat Sheff Utd and then go on to win the cup. We were awesome at times that season.

Losing to Forest Green away was pretty bad. The result/performance was shite and I was sat in the home end and there were 3 bellends sat behind me, who had seemingly never been to a football match before.
I had to endure their mindless fucking ‘banter’ aimed at other Cov fans, and the players - Willis in particular…”hahaha ‘Willy’ “…while watching the shite on the pitch.
As I said to a fellow city fan on the way back on the tube last week, “I’d rather be losing at wembley than at Forest Green”.
Losing to Forest in the league cup semi-final upset me too!

Winning the cup final was the best. Also the glorious Christmas/new year that we stuffed Liverpool and the Villa was good.

Sky Blue Pete

It’s that we knew we would beat Sheff Utd and then go on to win the cup. We were awesome at times that season.

Losing to Forest Green away was pretty bad. The result/performance was shite and I was sat in the home end and there were 3 bellends sat behind me, who had seemingly never been to a football match before.
I had to endure their mindless fucking ‘banter’ aimed at other Cov fans, and the players - Willis in particular…”hahaha ‘Willy’ “…while watching the shite on the pitch.
As I said to a fellow city fan on the way back on the tube last week, “I’d rather be losing at wembley than at Forest Green”.
Losing to Forest in the league cup semi-final upset me too!

Winning the cup final was the best. Also the glorious Christmas/new year that we stuffed Liverpool and the Villa was good.
Then selling Rosario

Mcbean

Manure away in the cup
Manure home Hucks goal
Notts county away
All our post 90 min goals
First and second Wembley visits ( not around for 87)

worst

Newcastle away in the snow
Forest Green loss in the pissing Rain
Relegation from the Prem

M&B Stand

Best was Moldovan at Villa, the 92 last game there was good too, although we lost. We stayed up in heading into the whole new ball game of the Premier League. Some following that day, sky blue song sung in the holte Cov everywhere in Brum that day.

Worst is a random one, 2-2 away at Leeds first year of the prem, injury time equaliser for them, i was physically sick. We were in the top 6 at the time, funny the things you remember.

As you get older life puts things into perspective, nothing about football bothers me much anymore. Seen it all before. Saying that, Wilsons goal at Blackburn and Middlesboro 2nd leg were very special.

Tomh111

Best - Just before kick off in the 1st leg against Middlesbrough, looking from hospitality across the stadium that was full. I was so proud to be a Coventry fan, after being through years of shit. Actually got a little bit choked up and had to have a little second.

Worst - Losing 1-0 at home vs Newport County, August 2017. Shit game, 8000 people there and they scored from a Liam O'brien error om a shit shot from outside the box.
First time I took my girlfriend to a game, she sat there and as we walked out asked why the fuck I bothered watching Coventry when it was soulless and they were so bad. I Honestly didn't have an answer for her either. Awful.

Jonny Barton

Best was Moldovan at Villa, the 92 last game there was good too, although we lost. We stayed up in heading into the whole new ball game of the Premier League. Some following that day, sky blue song sung in the holte Cov everywhere in Brum that day.

Worst is a random one, 2-2 away at Leeds first year of the prem, injury time equaliser for them, i was physically sick. We were in the top 6 at the time, funny the things you remember.

As you get older life puts things into perspective, nothing about football bothers me much anymore. Seen it all before. Saying that, Wilsons goal at Blackburn and Middlesboro 2nd leg were very special.
Forgot all about that 92 last game of the season that ironically relegated Luton.

Regis scored for Villa after about 15 seconds and we kicked off! Awful. Then Luton scored which meant we were down until already relegated Notts County scored twice to beat them 2-1. We ended up losing 2-0.

Crazy afternoon

Theonlywayisskyblue

Surprised nobody's mentioned the win away to Spurs to stay up when Oggy's legs saved us at the end. Another great memory was away to Southampton in 98, Whelan's first goal finishing the kind of move I hadn't seen much of before with City. We started singing 'it's just like watching Brazil' and for a short time it was

Quite a few bad memories from the Cups. Worst was Sheff Utd away and the terrible equaliser we conceded at the end or maybe the last minute goal to lose 3-2 in the FA cup at Derby which came from our corner - when we had been 2-0 up after 13 minutes. Or standing on the grass bank at Sutton...

Jonny Barton

Surprised nobody's mentioned the win away to Spurs to stay up when Oggy's legs saved us at the end. Another great memory was away to Southampton in 98, Whelan's first goal finishing the kind of move I hadn't seen much of before with City. We started singing 'it's just like watching Brazil' and for a short time it was

Quite a few bad memories from the Cups. Worst was Sheff Utd away and the terrible equaliser we conceded at the end or maybe the last minute goal to lose 3-2 in the FA cup at Derby which came from our corner - when we had been 2-0 up after 13 minutes. Or standing on the grass bank at Sutton...
I had Spurs away. A few of us have mentioned Sheff Utd away, that was a real kick in the teeth. I can still picture the ball rolling under Nilsons foot for the injury time corner they scored the equaliser from.

I remember that Derby game as well. Shocker. Dean Sturridge scored the winner I think

Theonlywayisskyblue

I had Spurs away. A few of us have mentioned Sheff Utd away, that was a real kick in the teeth. I can still picture the ball rolling under Nilsons foot for the injury time corner they scored the equaliser from.

I remember that Derby game as well. Shocker. Dean Sturridge scored the winner I think
You're right on the Derby game - they broke from our corner down their left, Sturridge racing away from the City fans with our heads in our hands towards the Derby end, cross came in and you knew before it happened what the outcome would be. One of those games where we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in a way only City could

Calista

Forgot all about that 92 last game of the season that ironically relegated Luton.

Regis scored for Villa after about 15 seconds and we kicked off! Awful. Then Luton scored which meant we were down until already relegated Notts County scored twice to beat them 2-1. We ended up losing 2-0.

Crazy afternoon
A horrible day despite eventually staying up. I remember several times towards the end of the game the Villa fans started cheering, clearly in response to deliberately started (but false) rumours that Luton had scored meaning we were going down.

Hertsccfc

A horrible day despite eventually staying up. I remember several times towards the end of the game the Villa fans started cheering, clearly in response to deliberately started (but false) rumours that Luton had scored meaning we were going down.
I remember there was a really toxic atmosphere until news of Notts County winning came through. Groups of fans near me were talking about invading the pitch to get the game abandoned.

Legia Sky Blue

I remember there was a really toxic atmosphere until news of Notts County winning came through. Groups of fans near me were talking about invading the pitch to get the game abandoned.

Yes, I didn't leave that game celebrating because we won. Unlike our other escapes where we battled our way through, this day we simply laid down and gave up. I didn't go to the Charlton collapse under Coleman but that sounded similar to the Villa game. Under Don Howe we had adopted the most mind numbing tactics and I felt we deserved to go down.

Users who are viewing this thread