Film Thread 2019 (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

The Irishman is a mission! Should have been a series

Loved it , though probably half an hour too long. Can see why people criticised some of the aging techniques employed but they didn't bother me to be honest.
Thought Joe Pesci was superb.

fellatio_Martinez

Loved it , though probably half an hour too long. Can see why people criticised some of the aging techniques employed but they didn't bother me to be honest.
Thought Joe Pesci was superb.

I thought that the de-aging effects looked far less obvious and jarring on TV. Blown up on a crystal clear imax screen definitely doesn't so it any favours.

Pesci stole the show. He says more with a single look than most actors could muster with a whole scene of dialogue.

clint van damme

I thought that the de-aging effects looked far less obvious and jarring on TV. Blown up on a crystal clear imax screen definitely doesn't so it any favours.

Pesci stole the show. He says more with a single look than most actors could muster with a whole scene of dialogue.

That's a really good point. Be interesting to see whether those who can't get on with the de-aging effects had seen it on the big screen or not.

Apparently Russell Buffalino was a really understated guy who shunned the limelight but was a very dangerous fella underneath the unassuming persona. I though Pesci really pulled it off, especially since he's known for so many roles playing in your face characters.

fellatio_Martinez

Apparently Russell Buffalino was a really understated guy who shunned the limelight but was a very dangerous fella underneath the unassuming persona. I though Pesci really pulled it off, especially since he's known for so many roles playing in your face characters.

Yeah, there was definitely an undercurrent of menace with his character. I liked that he felt very uneasy about Frank's daughter. He understood how people worked and could see trouble with how she acted around him. For a fleeting moment I thought he might have got her whacked!

clint van damme

Yeah, there was definitely an undercurrent of menace with his character. I liked that he felt very uneasy about Frank's daughter. He understood how people worked and could see trouble with how she acted around him. For a fleeting moment I thought he might have got her whacked!

HAHA! It's a while since I read the book but I'm sure Charles Brandt the author interviewed Peggy, if not Frank definitely spoke about her in depth and the her dislike of Russell but fondness for Jimmy were definitely true.

W

westcountry_skyblue

Just watched The Irishman,Very good film.
Didn’t know it was a true story,A great Saturday nights viewing.
Had me engrossed didn’t realise the time.

covcity4life

The Irishman

not as epic as i was expecting but still a good film, deaging looked good for most part but they still move as old people lol

8/10

covcity4life

I actually watched Dawn Wall the night before Free Solo. I really enjoyed that too. These guys have grit and determination I could never muster. I find it hard enough getting out of bed never mind pulling myself up a mountain.
Free Solo star died last week unfortunately

RIP

fellatio_Martinez

The Irishman

not as epic as i was expecting but still a good film, deaging looked good for most part but they still move as old people lol

8/10

Apparently they spent a lot of time using doubles and effects to make the characters move like younger people but it didn't really work except for on Al Pacino whose character was very animated and jumped around a lot.

Their voices never changed either which is bollocks because your voice gets deeper as you age.

covcity4life

Apparently they spent a lot of time using doubles and effects to make the characters move like younger people but it didn't really work except for on Al Pacino whose character was very animated and jumped around a lot.

Their voices never changed either which is bollocks because your voice gets deeper as you age.
De niro stomping the grocer was oap posture if i ever seen it lol

CCFCSteve

The Irishman

8/10

Really liked it.

Agree with other comments about how the actors moved (like old people) but can forgive that. Great film

covcity4life

I think it would have benefitted frim the esrly hoffa political stuff being minimised. It wasbt interesting and created a lull in film for 30 mins or so which hurt the flow as it starts and ends well

chiefdave

This looks like it could actually be good unlike that unwatchable load of rubbish they released a couple of years ago.

fellatio_Martinez

A Marriage Story.

I half loved and half hated this because it's an honest and mostly well acted film about proper human relationships but on the other hand it has some overly wanky dialogue and a pomposity about it which seems ripe for awards season. Scarlett Johansson over acts and is just generally a bit unbelievable in parts too.

6.5/10

fellatio_Martinez

There's an interesting The Irishman bonus feature on Netflix where Scorcese, De Niro, Pesci and Pacino sit down and talk about the film.

The most interesting part is Pesci's terrible wig.

EKos3_aXUAIKx2l.jpg

covcity4life

Currently rewatching every star wars movie including spin offs before the new film comes out

The original prequels are good i dont care what anyone says

Tommo1993

Currently rewatching every star wars movie including spin offs before the new film comes out

The original prequels are good i dont care what anyone says

Only just recently sat down and watched them all. Enjoyed 4,5,6. 1,2,3 were ok, bit of a love story but still alright. Think The Force Awakens was much better than The Last Jedi.

covcity4life

Only just recently sat down and watched them all. Enjoyed 4,5,6. 1,2,3 were ok, bit of a love story but still alright. Think The Force Awakens was much better than The Last Jedi.
for me last jedi is better than force awakens. and originals slightly overated but i did not watch them till my late teens to be fair so missed the magic i guess

struggling to fit these all in at mo,still got solo,rogue 1,original trilogy and tfa and tlj to watch 7 films by friday!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I've never liked sci fi since Dr Who started back in about 1963ish. I was bored silly at that early age and it's never interested me since. I can honestly say that not only have I never seen S W, I have never watched ANY sci-fi film or tv programme. Give me a good thriller with a clever twist, any day.

Users who are viewing this thread