Film Thread 2019 (2 Viewers)

fellatio_Martinez

I have never seen a Star wars film.

I gave in a few years ago and downloaded the whole saga. I watched the first film and just couldn't get into it. It wasn't terrible but I was expecting something far better.

I think it's something you have to get into as a kid or have parents or siblings that introduce you to it and then it becomes something ingrained in your life otherwise as an adult watching it for the first time it seems a bit childish and overblown.

Mr Panda

Star Wars: TRoS

Shite, but then kind of good...but ultimately shit.

No saving it after the car crash of the last film

fellatio_Martinez

Uncut Gems

An Adam Sandler film but unlike any Adam Sandler film I've ever seen. Dark, sleazy, violent, funny and tragic. I was completely blown away by it and will be surprised if this film doesn't win major awards. I'll be thinking about this film for a while.

9.5/10

Mr Panda

What's shit about it?

I've seen some reviews that say that Disney are ruining it with identity politics.

Well I'm still in two minds to be honest with you. I tried to take the film for what it was last night, a conclusion to a saga which has been really poorly executed and ruined by the middle film. I think I did somewhat enjoy it as a single movie. However...

I think the trilogy is just full of irritable characters you really don't care about. As soon as Daisy Ridley's character comes on screen the film just drops a bit in terms of quality, she's not very good. In general attempts at humour are awkward and poorly delivered. Climatic battle scenes which I love Star Wars for are rushed and lacking detail.

This film has very much taken the blueprint of every Marvel film in that you have that big climatic end scene, but in this case it doesn't deliver. Without giving too many spoilers away there is a bit which isn't too dissimilar from the cavalry arriving at the end of the recent Avengers movie. You're sat there thinking, okay here we go, but then nothing really happens. Especially if you compare it to the big space battle in Return of the Jedi.

On the other hand, Adam Driver is a fantastic actor and it's very much evident the gulf in quality between him and everybody else. I only wish he was the main character. All the parts involving the evil characters and really well done and genuinely quite menacing which I enjoyed.

I don't really have much of a desire to see it again which is a shame because every Star Wars film that has been released in my lifetime I have been back to the cinema a second, sometimes even a third time (With the exception of The Last Jedi).

I think it's worthy of it's Rotten Tomato score, I'd probably give it a 5/10.

fellatio_Martinez

Cats

My girlfriend practically begged me to go even though I'm sick.

I now feel a lot sicker. This film is an absolute cat turd of an experience. There's barely a story, just dull song after song and terribly weird cgi cats with human faces on. Everything has been shot on green screen and looks eerily fake.

No effort was made to transport the musical into a workable film format. It's just completely odd and not fun at all.

Actually I tell a lie, Ray Winston's cockney hissing did make me laugh but it wasn't meant to.

A pox on all involved.

2/10

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Never been interesting in going to watch a theatrical version of it, no chance in hell anyone's going to get me to watch a film version of it.

covcity4life

What's shit about it?

I've seen some reviews that say that Disney are ruining it with identity politics.
Dont listen to the hate. Hate leads to th dark side

There is 1 lesbien kiss 2 second it lasts.
Or maybe they meen rey and leila forging a mother daughter relstionship. How dsre they! Girl power. #Metoo!

If internet hates it it usulaly, means its good i find

clint van damme

Dont listen to the hate. Hate leads to th dark side

There is 1 lesbien kiss 2 second it lasts.
Or maybe they meen rey and leila forging a mother daughter relstionship. How dsre they! Girl power. #Metoo!

If internet hates it it usulaly, means its good i find

I listened to Mayo and Kermode yesterday. I couldn't believe how serious people take this shit.

fellatio_Martinez

Was more referring to the people writing in. And they were talking about some of the abuse people involved with previous films have been subject to.
Fucking maniacs.

Star Wars die hards are absolute lunatics. It's like a religion to them.

They slayed George Lucas so much that he sold the franchise to Disney and now the fans are referring to how much they loved him.

covcity4life

There just dumb. Calling this worst teilogy ever. Its not. All 3 r good films

Juet shows prequels got too much j hatw too

Some people just want to be miserable

chiefdave

Cats

My girlfriend practically begged me to go even though I'm sick.

I now feel a lot sicker. This film is an absolute cat turd of an experience. There's barely a story, just dull song after song and terribly weird cgi cats with human faces on. Everything has been shot on green screen and looks eerily fake.

No effort was made to transport the musical into a workable film format. It's just completely odd and not fun at all.

Actually I tell a lie, Ray Winston's cockney hissing did make me laugh but it wasn't meant to.

A pox on all involved.

2/10
Universal are pushing an 'updated' version of Cats out to cinemas today, just a couple of days after it opened. Said to be an unprecedented move. Not sure a few tweaks will save it.

Its absolutely bombed in the States. Friday opening was $2.6 million compared to Star Wars with $90 million. Was even beaten by Jumanji and Frozen which aren't new releases this week.

Given Cats cost $100 million before marketing costs someones in line to lose a fortune.

fellatio_Martinez

Universal are pushing an 'updated' version of Cats out to cinemas today, just a couple of days after it opened. Said to be an unprecedented move. Not sure a few tweaks will save it.

This looks like a desperate move to me. A last ditch attempt to make some people second guess reviews because the problems have been "fixed"

There's no way that they could fix all the visual problems, they'd have to re-shoot and even if they did, the story is absolute piss.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Its absolutely bombed in the States. Friday opening was $2.6 million compared to Star Wars with $90 million. Was even beaten by Jumanji and Frozen which aren't new releases this week.

Given Cats cost $100 million before marketing costs someones in line to lose a fortune.

Please let it be Andrew Lloyd Webber .....
Please let it be Andrew Lloyd Webber.....
Please let it be Andrew Lloyd Webber......

clint van damme

Just reading about the new Disney film, Togo.
A true story, the main human characters surname is Sepalla!

shmmeee

Currently rewatching every star wars movie including spin offs before the new film comes out

The original prequels are good i dont care what anyone says

Just watched Last Jedi this week in preparation for the new one. Really enjoyed it. Got into the Mandalorian off it as well.

I think coming to it all late and not with a load of nostalgia makes you enjoy them more. I thought all of them were great.

covcity4life

Just watched Last Jedi this week in preparation for the new one. Really enjoyed it. Got into the Mandalorian off it as well.

I think coming to it all late and not with a load of nostalgia makes you enjoy them more. I thought all of them were great.
Yup not 1 bad movie in all 11

Last jedi is for me 1 of the best. The online hate makes me laugh

Sky_Blue_Daz

Watched Nativity rocks the other night absolute tosh , it’s a shame as I enjoyed the previous 3 .

dutchman

I gave in a few years ago and downloaded the whole saga. I watched the first film and just couldn't get into it. It wasn't terrible but I was expecting something far better.

I was in the process of watching first six in chronological order (ie: 4,5,6,1,2,3) but then someone sent me a DVD copy of the original movie and insisted on knowing what I thought of it so that sort of screwed up the timeline and ruined the whole saga for me.

fellatio_Martinez

watch it a while ago. Jake Gyllenhall is superb, very dark - a bit of a theme of the films you recommend FM!

I saw Jake Gyllenhaal on Broadway in the summer and he was immense. He's a very talented actor.

I do like a dark film it must be said.

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread