FFS! WE ARE STILL ONLY 3 POINTS FROM THE PLAYOFFS!!! (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

And as people keep saying, we HAVE to improve our away form.

Those tables tell you exactly that.

Home form very good, albeit only Swindon and Notts County below us out of the top teams in that form table and the away form is very poor and not one of the top teams below us in that table.

We need to continue our good home form, but pick up points away too.

That’s Swindon’s recent home record, before our game when we won 3-1, their home form put them about 22nd (I think). In contrast, their away form was also head and shoulders above everyone.

But clearly they’ve begun to turn it round, and we need a quick turn around away too against Mansfield and Wycombe - who have the best home form atm. We need a win in one of them, and I think it’ll be Wycombe, but we can’t afford to lose to Mansfield.

JCH and McNulty to start upfront for me, would also consider starting Reid.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

I'm sure the majority of players we brought in last summer were on 2 yr deals. Our two (potentially) best players, Jones and Andreu are both contracted to be here next season.

It's not as if we've been setting the league alight and there's going to be loads of offers rolling in. McNulty would probably be the exception. If we can keep him, I kind of agree that we might lose Bayliss or one other youngster showing promise but I don't think this Summer will see the wholesale changes we've been accustomed to.

If someone like Bayliss does go, I'd imagine it would make some cash available to address the GK situation. If we don't go up, I don't see it as much of a disaster as some on here. I fully expect us to be at least top 7 but we need to appreciate that there's other teams who'll be pushing for the same thing. If we're in L2 next season, THAT would be the last chance saloon for Robins in my eyes.

He would've had 3 (or 4 by the end of next season) transfer windows to mould his squad which is ample time. One would hope that we'd be due some luck next season on the injury front. Keep McNulty, JCH to find form and stay, Andreu and Jones fit, address CM, GK and LB and we could have a good season next season.

Buuuuuut, there's still plenty to play for this season. We just need to buck up our ideas quick sharpish.

I also wouldn't be surprised if someone takes a gamble on Jones to be honest while he could potentially cost less after coming back from a long term injury.

Londonccfcfan

Hang in there next two games. Arguably most difficult 2 gasmes of our season. Then wait and just get 2 wins on the bounce does wonders for your league position.

From now till the end of seadon, the too 10 will drop points as they play eachother and there will be the odd bad result vs bottom half teams.

10 points from next 6 games would see us turning this turning this corner, and possibly climbing a few places.

Id take that right now considering our next 3 games.

Would get us to 60 points after 38 games.

Leaving another 13/14points from last 8 games. To get into play offs.

Gosford Green

Lets stick with team and have faith in whatwe have seen and then hopefully say to all negative doom and gloomers we told you so. Unlike them we try to always seek and look for positives.

Lol some folk already writing off next season as well. Cant and wont ever change mindsets.

Yet these are thesame folks who will say i knew it was just a blip if we win next game or two. And then they will find something else to be nagative about like why are not in auto.

Constant fucking negativity.

Give the fucking team a chance. Already a few saying since 3 games ago. Every game a MUST win.

Laughable.

I have gave the team a chance since 2001, the same thing is said year after year and we just keep sinking following the same pattern.
Your claim of constant negativity is what most would call being realistic.

I am always looking for the tunnel with light somewhere at the end, you look for positives as well bit i do not see any listed.

italiahorse

I have gave the team a chance since 2001, the same thing is said year after year and we just keep sinking following the same pattern.
Your claim of constant negativity is what most would call being realistic.

I am always looking for the tunnel with light somewhere at the end, you look for positives as well bit i do not see any listed.

I can confirm that the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Skyblueweeman

I also wouldn't be surprised if someone takes a gamble on Jones to be honest while he could potentially cost less after coming back from a long term injury.

Mmm, maybe. I guess we're in a 'better' position than had he played the whole season scoring 10 with 15 assists. Time will tell.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Of course promotion/playoffs is possible, it is still possible to get automatics, just based on form and performance so far this season automatic promotion is very, very unlikely. Play offs is still within grasp but it is going to take a considerable turnaround. Am I confident of that - no, is it possible - yes

In my mind we need from the next 14 games a win rate of at least 50% to get close, near 58% to get to 74 points and probable playoffs. So far this season we have achieved 47%. Lose the next three and the win rate required becomes 73% to get 74 points (better than any side so far this season). Only Manchester City has better than that so far this season. Losses now hurt us and we simply can not afford to write off or ignore the next three results. We are hoping for title winning form but on what evidence so far this season.

We all know from many years of experience that CCFC will slip up when not expected to, will perhaps cause the odd surprise against the better teams, will be inconsistent. Yet we are expecting winning consistency that they have shown no sign of this or previous seasons.

In the meantime those teams in the play off or promotion places simply have to match our results to freeze us out. Yes Accrington have a tough run in but they need 3 wins to get to 71 points we need 7. A win rate on average for those teams in the play off places & CCFC of 50% leaves only Lincoln in range. Lincoln improve their win rate and the target could be 75 points, and then we need 8 wins and a draw out of 14 games

Now 21 points might be enough but we cant afford to look at any match and write off the points. However wins for other teams during the next two weeks increases pressure if we lose because the margins for error get smaller, like it or not that will feed through to the players and performances. Who is confident that our squad will react well to that pressure?

Pleased to see that CCFC played some decent football in the last 20 minutes Saturday, if nothing else it gave us a little positivity going forward. It only happened though once Brighton were 3 nil up and took their foot off the pedal - they had done more than enough to win the game - it gave us room to play and encouraged a more gung ho attitude. But was the Brighton game indicative of the opposition in L2 where teams do not play a quick or controlled passing game - no League 2 is about physicality and mental resolve on less than ideal pitches. Sides have worked us out. We are vulnerable to set pieces, a big centre forward, and often pace out wide, they know we sit deep in midfield, they know that if they keep it tight we don't score many goals. Yes JCH might help change that but he has been inconsistent throughout his career so reluctant to pin it all on him and McNulty - others need to make significant contributions too. How will our game plan change to put the pressure on other teams ?

Yes it is still possible, yes we should all support and hope for it to happen, yes we should just get behind the lads, but I cant help having doubts it will happen though. All so frustrating in a poor league

Guess we wait and see - but its still game on for the play offs for now. Just my opinion

Last edited:

Limey

Going by the Brighton game (admittedly TV highlights) JCH is going to be a massive boost for us.
Him and McNulty will see us through, especially with Doyle barking orders to the others once more.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
we have fourteen games left

McNulty over his career has scored a goal every 3 games - but say for us another 7 taking him to 20 for season
JCH averages a goal every 7 games - that would suggest 2 but maybe say 4 from him?

Not going to be enough, we need everyone else to step up to the plate in goal scoring terms

For the sort of form required we are going to need well over 20 goals in those 14 games I think

Nick

Administrator
we have fourteen games left

McNulty over his career has scored a goal every 3 games - but say for us another 7 taking him to 20 for season
JCH averages a goal every 7 games - that would suggest 2 but maybe say 4 from him?

Not going to be enough, we need everyone else to step up to the plate in goal scoring terms

For the sort of form required we are going to need well over 20 goals in those 14 games I think

Which will mean creating at least 3 or 4 decent chances a game at least!

Otis

Of course promotion/playoffs is possible, it is still possible to get automatics, just based on form and performance so far this season automatic promotion is very, very unlikely. Play offs is still within grasp but it is going to take a considerable turnaround. Am I confident of that - no, is it possible - yes

In my mind we need from the next 14 games a win rate of at least 50% to get close, near 58% to get to 74 points and probable playoffs. So far this season we have achieved 47%. Lose the next three and the win rate required becomes 73% to get 74 points (better than any side so far this season). Only Manchester City has better than that so far this season. Losses now hurt us and we simply can not afford to write off or ignore the next three results. We are hoping for title winning form but on what evidence so far this season.

We all know from many years of experience that CCFC will slip up when not expected to, will perhaps cause the odd surprise against the better teams, will be inconsistent. Yet we are expecting winning consistency that they have shown no sign of this or previous seasons.

In the meantime those teams in the play off or promotion places simply have to match our results to freeze us out. Yes Accrington have a tough run in but they need 3 wins to get to 71 points we need 7. A win rate on average for those teams in the play off places & CCFC of 50% leaves only Lincoln in range. Lincoln improve their win rate and the target could be 75 points, and then we need 8 wins and a draw out of 14 games

Now 21 points might be enough but we cant afford to look at any match and write off the points. However wins for other teams during the next two weeks increases pressure if we lose because the margins for error get smaller, like it or not that will feed through to the players and performances. Who is confident that our squad will react well to that pressure?

Pleased to see that CCFC played some decent football in the last 20 minutes Saturday, if nothing else it gave us a little positivity going forward. It only happened though once Brighton were 3 nil up and took their foot off the pedal - they had done more than enough to win the game - it gave us room to play and encouraged a more gung ho attitude. But was the Brighton game indicative of the opposition in L2 where teams do not play a quick or controlled passing game - no League 2 is about physicality and mental resolve on less than ideal pitches. Sides have worked us out. We are vulnerable to set pieces, a big centre forward, and often pace out wide, they know we sit deep in midfield, they know that if they keep it tight we don't score many goals. Yes JCH might help change that but he has been inconsistent throughout his career so reluctant to pin it all on him and McNulty - others need to make significant contributions too. How will our game plan change to put the pressure on others ?

Yes it is still possible, yes we should all support and hope for it to happen, yes we should just get behind the lads, but I cant help having doubts it will happen though. All so frustrating in a poor league

Guess we wait and see - but its still game on for the play offs for now. Just my opinion
I think you and I are on the same page, OSB.

We can of course make the playoffs, but something needs to change in our fortunes to make that possible.

I think we seriously now need to look at our tactics and formation. Robins is obviously keen on the Doyle/Kelly partnership, but that shouldn't result in Bayliss therefore being pushed wide.

If MR wants to incorporate all 3 (cross my fingers very firmly that he doesn't consider Bayliss making way for the Doyle/Kelly scenario), then I think he would need to play Bayliss in a hole in-between those two and the forward line.

Some things are working and other things clearly not.

Time to perhaps alter things in order to do whatever it takes to get in that top 7.

Captain Dart

When you have sunk that low you think you have hit the bottom but then you just keep falling further, I read that in a book somewhere but it does sum up supporting Coventry City.

The comparisons with 2 seasons ago are all there for us to see. Sporadic performances by Murphy, Armestrong and Fleck with the fans distracted by Joe Cole and a young player sold for a large sum but the manager given little or no support in the window as we ended up in mid table mediocrity

This time the defence and McNulty offer the form spasms and the FA cup has distracted the fans. Young playaer sold and as before and no window backing for the manager, mid table awaits us.
The similarities are there. Initial promise followed by a mid season slump leading to a lower budget next season.. etc.
I hope it really can't happen again but lightning has struck twice already..

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Goals has always been the problem this season. Whether it be because of the tactics, injuries, confidence, poor form, or lack of creativity or luck or a mix of all that

We have scored 36 in 32 games.

Over the seasons since 2010/11the lowest scored and still be in play offs was Burton 2013/14 at 47. On average the lowest and to be in the play offs at least is usually around 60. on current season form we are on target for around 52.

What has kept us up there so far has been having the best defensive record but of the current top 7 only Swindon have a worse goal difference but have played two more games and 7 points better off. Only Lincoln (45) have scored less than 52 goals so far but are 3 points better off having played one more game and have a better goal difference

Defensively the lowest conceded was 31 in 2014/15 Shrewsbury but they scored 67. Statistically the average goals conceded and being in the top 7 is around 50 in the seasons since 2010/11 (inc.)

Guess you can make statistics say many things

General gist is we need to be more on the front foot whilst retaining most of the defensive strength

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Goals has always been the problem this season. Whether it be because of the tactics, injuries, confidence, poor form, or lack of creativity or luck or a mix of all that

Over the seasons since 2010/11the lowest scored and still be in play offs was Burton 2013/14 at 47. On average the lowest and to be in the play offs at least is usually around 60. on current season form we are on target for around 52.

What has kept us up there so far has been having the best defensive record but of the current top 7 only Swindon have a worse goal difference but have played two more games and 7 points better off. Only Lincoln (45) have scored less than 52 goals so far but are 3 points better off having played one more game and have a better goal difference

General gist is we need to be more on the front foot whilst retaining most of the defensive strength

Moral of the story OSB might be that more risks need to be taken in the pursuit of greater rewards. Doesn't matter if we concede a few if we score more.

JulianDarbyFTW

At some point we have to hit the bottom of the cycle. Whether it is now, next season, the season after...who knows? But one thing is for sure, changing managers year in, year out doesn't help. Look at the clubs who keep / kept managers around; the extremes of Man Utd and Arsenal , Burnley perhaps, Bournemouth, all the way down to Accrington and Exeter and until recently MK Dons. They build, either on existing success or a base of good, solid pros who know their jobs and generally improve the squad a little bit every year. That is what we should aim for. Constant improvement. If we sack a manager a year, then I don't see how that can happen.

Otis

At some point we have to hit the bottom of the cycle. Whether it is now, next season, the season after...who knows? But one thing is for sure, changing managers year in, year out doesn't help. Look at the clubs who keep / kept managers around; the extremes of Man Utd and Arsenal , Burnley perhaps, Bournemouth, all the way down to Accrington and Exeter and until recently MK Dons. They build, either on existing success or a base of good, solid pros who know their jobs and generally improve the squad a little bit every year. That is what we should aim for. Constant improvement. If we sack a manager a year, then I don't see how that can happen.
I agree on stability. Would like nothing more. What we can't have though is any manager (and not just Robins) who steadfastly refuses to change things when things are clearly wrong.

Been a big fan of Robins, but I am a little peeved now that we are stuck in a bit of a rut away from home and Robins appears reluctant to change it.

Hope I'm wrong, but I think if he doesn't change the way we set our stall for away games that could be the difference in making or not making the play-offs.

Londonccfcfan

Took Portsmouth 4 years to get out the league. And they were favorites to do so every year.

Londonccfcfan

Defensively the lowest conceded was 31 in 2014/15 Shrewsbury but they scored 67. Statistically goals conceded is around 50 in that period

Agree with alot of this, just need to up the scoring, the thrashing of team hasnt happend yet.

2014/2015, Southend scored 54 goals. And plymouth 56 goals in, both finished in play offs. Southend won the play off final. Both very similar scoring rates to ours currently.

So it is more than possible, but as we know history counts for nothing.

Gosford Green

Going by the Brighton game (admittedly TV highlights) JCH is going to be a massive boost for us.
Him and McNulty will see us through, especially with Doyle barking orders to the others once more.

We are missing Doyle, seems to be the most important cog in the machine.

no_loyalty

I really hope we can turn it round and get promotion, would love City v Sunderland as first game of next season at the Ricoh

no_loyalty

Excellent! Crewe just taken a 1-0 lead against Exeter. 8th min. Shaun Miller.

Great news for us.

Always knew that Shaun Miller was a quality striker, must have been the best finisher at our club once in a while

Londonccfcfan

Get in! Good set of results so far.hooefully hold on.

Another bottom 8 winning against top 8!

Meltdown on Notts county forum. They not had a shot at goal.Notts county in freefall.

Exeter away form is worse than ours. One away win 3 montys for them damn they just equalised.

Jammy sods.

Still not too bad.

Otis

Get in! Good set of results so far.hooefully hold on.

Another bottom 8 winning against top 8!

Meltdown on Notts county forum. They not had a shot at goal.Notts county in freefall.

Exeter away form is worse than ours. One away win 3 montys for them damn they just equalised.

Jammy sods.

Still not too bad.
No, as long as they didn't win.

no_loyalty

Cambridge closing in on us, although we still have the 2 games in hand on them

Users who are viewing this thread