Fans back in !!! kinda (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

Interesting article on the numbers. Whilst not diminishing the impact so far of Covid, the recent rise looks like it's 'not as bad' as the media make out (shock).

This was the mentality as we slept walked into in February / March and the catastrophe that followed.

fernandopartridge

Around the entire world, just under 0.1 % of the population have covid... If you're comfortable with many years of financial struggle and hardship for that... Then that's up to you

That is a false dichotomy. This country is capable of taking appropriate measures and managing the economic impact.

clint van damme

Around the entire world, just under 0.1 % of the population have covid, since the beginning its around 0.5% of the world's population .. If you're comfortable with many years of financial struggle and hardship for that... Then that's up to you

You think the Tory party would go on the spending spree they have it this wasn't serious?

And if so, why the fuck did you entrust them with Brexit?

Evo1883

I'm sorry, you sound absolutely terrified, how do you live like that.

What's catastrophic is the amount of people who will fall into depression, lose their lively hoods and fall into a financial mess over a virus that statistically is infecting and killing very few people around the world... Especially healthy people

Ring Of Steel

You know that thousands of people have died, right? Including someone who used to post on here? Christ you can be such a complete prick with stuff like this, ffs stop regurgitating the mindless crap you read on your special FB & twitter feeds and smarten up

fernandopartridge

I'm not terrified, just realistic and don't think I'm sort of free thinker by ignoring objective facts.

The other point worth making, and it possibly clouds my thinking on this but I lost my sister aged 35 in January, from pneumonia. It makes me cringe when I see people understating the dangers of a serious respiratory illness when my family and I witnessed first hand what they can do.

As an aside, the UK lockdown was less severe than many other European countries and the govt were clearly reluctant to do it. It hasn't helped the economy one bit, quite the contrary.

Evo1883

You know that thousands of people have died, right? Including someone who used to post on here? Christ you can be such a complete prick with stuff like this, ffs stop regurgitating the mindless crap you read on your special FB & twitter feeds and smarten up
I'm not on social media, the only place I use is here and occasional browsing of twitter...

Prick or not, statistically this virus is relitavely harmless to healthy people... It's been made out to be extremely contagious and extremeley deadly... It's been contracted by (officially) 0.5% of the globe since the start... Currently 0.1% of the globe have it...

Spanish flu infected 25% of the globe... Now that's something to fear

Evo1883

I'm not terrified, just realistic and don't think I'm sort of free thinker by ignoring objective facts.

The other point worth making, and it possibly clouds my thinking on this but I lost my sister aged 35 in January, from pneumonia. It makes me cringe when I see people understating the dangers of a serious respiratory illness when my family and I witnessed first hand what they can do.

As an aside, the UK lockdown was less severe than many other European countries and the govt were clearly reluctant to do it. It hasn't helped the economy one bit, quite the contrary.

Sorry about your sister pneumonia isn't nice, my friend had it twice and fortunately came through.. The statistics show you though that healthy people in general will be fine..

We didn't need to hide everybody away though like an alien invasion was imminent

Ring Of Steel

I'm not on social media, the only place I use is here and occasional browsing of twitter...

Prick or not, statistically this virus is relitavely harmless to healthy people... It's been made out to be extremely contagious and extremeley deadly... It's been contracted by (officially) 0.5% of the globe since the start... Currently 0.1% of the globe have it...

wtf are you on about? Its not 1918 and this is not Spanish flu, you're now suggesting we should all ignore everything & all go around happy on the basis that covid is not as deadly as something that happened 102 years ago?[/QUOTE]

Evo1883

wtf are you on about? Its not 1918 and this is not Spanish flu, you're now suggesting we should all ignore everything & all go around happy on the basis that covid is not as deadly as something that happened 102 years ago?

I'm saying you are all losing your minds over something that isn't anywhere near as dangerous as you make out.

You don't need to swear or call me names this isn't school , I'm being respectful to you, do me the same please 👍

fernandopartridge

Sorry about your sister pneumonia isn't nice, my friend had it twice and fortunately came through.. The statistics show you though that healthy people in general will be fine..

We didn't need to hide everybody away though like an alien invasion was imminent

I don't disagree with you, but in order to not hide away we need a system that identifies infected people and stops them infecting others, which we just do not have despite months to get it in place. On a personal level I feel relatively relaxed about my own health if I was infected, which is different from how I felt early on this year to be honest, but everybody just worrying about themselves does not make for good management of a pandemic.

Evo1883

I don't disagree with you, but in order to not hide away we need a system that identifies infected people and stops them infecting others, which we just do not have despite months to get it in place. On a personal level I feel relatively relaxed about my own health if I was infected, which is different from how I felt early on this year to be honest, but everybody just worrying about themselves does not make for good management of a pandemic.

I think, and I hope you agree... We should have done this all differently, especially based on the knowledge that healthy people statistically will be fine, we didn't need to let the world just crash the way it has

Evo1883

Let's just hope a vaccine is tested and released soon as that's the only way anybody is feeling comfortable enough to carry on by the looks of it

chiefdave

Am I only person who has season ticket who is actually hoping it stays behind closed doors so can watch on tv rather than having to go to Birmingham?
I was considering getting one for exactly that reason. Can't go to games but if the majority of the season is BCD worth buying to support the club. But then people started talking about letting fans back in as early as October which put me off. At the moment I reckon fully open grounds by spring is being optimistic.

chiefdave

What's catastrophic is the amount of people who will fall into depression, lose their lively hoods and fall into a financial mess over a virus that statistically is infecting and killing very few people around the world... Especially healthy people
Its not one or the other. You can be worried about the virus, depressed from lockdown and lose your job with the financial mess that follows. I know personally I'm worried about getting it, my anxiety (which is normally pretty mild) is through the roof and I potentially don't have a job in 6 weeks time. Doesn't mean I think the solution is to open everything up and hope for the best.

Also think a lot of people overstate the 'healthy people' line. Pre-existing condition doesn't mean you were at deaths door already, it can be someone with mild asthma, slightly high blood pressure or a few pounds overweight. All pretty run of the mill things that normally wouldn't even be worth a mention.

Evo1883

Its not one or the other. You can be worried about the virus, depressed from lockdown and lose your job with the financial mess that follows. I know personally I'm worried about getting it, my anxiety (which is normally pretty mild) is through the roof and I potentially don't have a job in 6 weeks time. Doesn't mean I think the solution is to open everything up and hope for the best.

Also think a lot of people overstate the 'healthy people' line. Pre-existing condition doesn't mean you were at deaths door already, it can be someone with mild asthma, slightly high blood pressure or a few pounds overweight. All pretty run of the mill things that normally wouldn't even be worth a mention.

I lost my job at the start... I know of 1 person who has had the virus... Had health conditions... Was in bed for a few days and back feeling fine... There are levels to this... We immediately think of the worst case scenario which creates the anxiety... The stats however don't back up your fears... Still be cautious, still follow the rules.. But live in fear? No chance

We've also handled it badly, which hasn't helped

skybluesam66

chief that is a small exception. if you are under 60 and only have a slight condition you are safe from the worst outcome (the exceptions will prove the rule)
It is when you have a major weekness, the virus will attack that
unfortunately it is the more healthy ones, driving up the infection who are then infecting the seriously at risk

Evo1883

Basically, the reason we are in this mess and not progressing lies with downing Street... So us arguing about the severity etc is pointless when we could already have been so much further ahead than we are today...if done differently, people's view of this virus may very well have been less extreme....

I can't fucking wait to watch football, its what me and my dad do, it's our thing... Can't even fucking hug or kiss him as he's terrified too...it's getting to people

chiefdave

Let's just hope a vaccine is tested and released soon as that's the only way anybody is feeling comfortable enough to carry on by the looks of it
The other option is effective treatment. For some reason it seems very difficult to get information about that unless you have the knowledge to read pretty in depth medical papers. Does make me wonder if there hasn't been much advancement in that area as you would have through they'd be shouting it from the rooftops if they had.

If we can improve treatment so we bring the mortality rate right down then we could start getting things back to normal. Not a problem to keep in place some precautions like hand washing and public places, offices etc being cleaned to a higher level. Frankly there's some things that business have announced as being done, like cinemas being cleaned between viewings, that I would have assumed always happened!
We immediately think of the worst case scenario which creates the anxiety... The stats however don't back up your fears... Still be cautious, still follow the rules.. But live in fear? No chance

Problem is things like anxiety don't tend to work like that unfortunately. Spot on about the handling of it though. A lot of peoples worries would be eased if they had any faith in the government and how they were responding. Or even a belief that they were acting in peoples best interests.

skybluesam66

I lost my job at the start... I know of 1 person who has had the virus... Had health conditions... Was in bed for a few days and back feeling fine... There are levels to this... We immediately think of the worst case scenario which creates the anxiety... The stats however don't back up your fears... Still be cautious, still follow the rules.. But live in fear? No chance

i had it at the start - 2 weeks off work - 1st time i have felt the need to go to Doctors for a cough
I am in the over 50 group - Statistically obese (bmi over 50) . I probably had a couple of days (maybe due to listening to the media when deaths peaked where i did think "Is this it?") but beyond that is was a shit cough with no sleep, felling rough and that was it

Evo1883

The other option is effective treatment. For some reason it seems very difficult to get information about that unless you have the knowledge to read pretty in depth medical papers. Does make me wonder if there hasn't been much advancement in that area as you would have through they'd be shouting it from the rooftops if they had.

If we can improve treatment so we bring the mortality rate right down then we could start getting things back to normal. Not a problem to keep in place some precautions like hand washing and public places, offices etc being cleaned to a higher level. Frankly there's some things that business have announced as being done, like cinemas being cleaned between viewings, that I would have assumed always happened!

Problem is things like anxiety don't tend to work like that unfortunately. Spot on about the handling of it though. A lot of peoples worries would be eased if they had any faith in the government and how they were responding. Or even a belief that they were acting in peoples best interests.

Well anxiety is my dark passenger... I've lived with it for touching 18 years now. I have ptsd and the anxiety that accompanies it is horrendous.

Controlling anxiety is something I'm yet to master so I can sympathise

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

This is great news 🙄

And something the more cautious amongst us said was likely to happen.

If anything I'm just glad at the moment the actual games are going ahead at all. What'll happen if teams start getting positive tests and having to postpone games I don't know, but again something a number of us warned about.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

I’m terrified that I might have to go to work soon, been furloughed since March even on 80 percent I’m loving it

steve cooper

Unfortunately this kind of thinking is making everything worse.
For a start the Spanish flu lasted more than 2 years, 3 times longer than the current pandemic so far. So no-one can compare death rates accurately at the moment. In 1918 the world didn't have the means of communication we have now, and consequently, the ability to put measures in place to mitigate it, or the ability to find some treatments for it.
I have lost 2 friends to the virus, and I can tell you it is not a pleasant death, and neither of them had any significant pre-existing conditions.

Evo1883

For a start the Spanish flu lasted more than 2 years, 3 times longer than the current pandemic so far. So no-one can compare death rates accurately at the moment. In 1918 the world didn't have the means of communication we have now, and consequently, the ability to put measures in place to mitigate it, or the ability to find some treatments for it.
I have lost 2 friends to the virus, and I can tell you it is not a pleasant death, and neither of them had any significant pre-existing conditions.

This type of thinking doesn't make it worse if I stick to all the rules and guidelines... Which I do

clint van damme

Sorry for the losses of your friends. Sounds terrible.

shmmeee

Todays lesson is the difference between current and past tense.

Tomorrows will be how a low percentage of a very big number is still quite a big number.

So tired of internet edge lords unable to understand stats or context virtue signalling about how they’re not scared.

Users who are viewing this thread