Fans back in !!! kinda (2 Viewers)

David O'Day

Yeah so not deadly it’s killed almost a million people. And as you say is only 1/200th of its way through the population. What’s 200m people dead between friends?

ONS is saying it has contributed to up to 57k death in the uk and plums still say it's not deadly

Ring Of Steel

Hey I just follow the rules, obviously we are all extremely comfortable that a contagious not so contagious virus that's effected less than half a % of the globe is worthy of ruining our kids futures... That's infected not killed.
It is what it is🤷

You say that but I thought (and I may be wrong) that the actual % was way higher, if you're asymptomatic you wouldn't even know but you can still infect loads of other people

Evo1883

it is rock and a hard place
yes it is deadly - but has that diminished enough for us to be able to carry on regardless ?

No idea, but disregarding the impact on the economy for millions would also be catastrophic

I dont have the answer - but then im not paid to provide the answer unlike the government

We just carry on regardless anyway, do as we're told (most of us anyway) until the government tell us otherwise, even though everything they say and do is a massive contradiction that makes no sense... Don't gather in groups of 6 but let your kids carry on at school.. If you're going to do things atleast they should make sense

Magwitch

So organised sport comes across as the players and coaches etc... Doesn't seem like that includes several thousand supporters... I wonder how this will effect grassroot football too IE my daughters playing for Coventry and the ability for parents to attend games... They make this about as clear as a misty morning window
Acadamy is back Sunday v WBA I expect all age groups at the moment it’s limited to one parent per player allowed to watch.

Evo1883

You say that but I thought (and I may be wrong
You say that but I thought (and I may be wrong) that the actual % was way higher, if you're asymptomatic you wouldn't even know but you can still infect loads of other people

I mean I hear what you're saying, but my figure of less than 0.5% is how how many have had it since the start.. 27 million.
Its currently 7 million globally 0.1% so its much lower than 0.5% now, I have no idea how many people are asymptomatic though

David O'Day

Interesting article on the numbers. Whilst not diminishing the impact so far of Covid, the recent rise looks like it's 'not as bad' as the media make out (shock).

The 2nd graph in point 2 is a textbook example of a shit graph, extended the x access and it would actually show that the % of cases to testing is rising at a similar level to the last peak.

Ring Of Steel

I mean I hear what you're saying, but my figure of less than 0.5% is how how many have had it since the start.. 27 million.
Its currently 7 million globally 0.1% so its much lower than 0.5% now, I have no idea how many people are asymptomatic though

Nobody knows do they. I'm getting sick of feeling like a murderer every time I do so much as clear my throat within 20 feet of someone..

Anyway, on topic, if you work on the assumption that covid is real, not made up or a conspiracy, then there is no way in hell you could have fans at football- queuing, toilets, turnstiles, cramped passageways etc, I don't see any possible way that you can do that "safely" if we're at the point of no more than 6 people being in proximity, makes no sense to have that rule then be planning to have a few thousand people getting together

wingy

Up to 5 times?
No idea how accurate that is?
But has been suggested in articles.

Skyblueweeman

The 2nd graph in point 2 is a textbook example of a shit graph, extended the x access and it would actually show that the % of cases to testing is rising at a similar level to the last peak.

But the testing is taking place more in hotspots now so will be skewed by highly contagious errors. Combine that with the notion that the first peak was probably underestimated....

shmmeee

Well it depends how you look at things, I mean smoking contributes to 7 million deaths a year globally but they don't rush to ban tobacco 🤷

Smoking is a personal choice and even by your figures is an order of magnitude less dangerous. And we seriously restrict it and spend millions trying to prevent its spread.

Evo1883

Nobody knows do they. I'm getting sick of feeling like a murderer every time I do so much as clear my throat within 20 feet of someone..

Anyway, on topic, if you work on the assumption that covid is real, not made up or a conspiracy, then there is no way in hell you could have fans at football- queuing, toilets, turnstiles, cramped passageways etc, I don't see any possible way that you can do that "safely" if we're at the point of no more than 6 people being in proximity, makes no sense to have that rule then be planning to have a few thousand people getting together
I agree, BTW I think it's real if that helps

Ring Of Steel

I agree, BTW I think it's real if that helps

ah yeah, I didn't mean you, just that there seems to be an increasing number of "celebrities" now deciding that its all made up. Some woman I'm reliably informed used to be on Coronation St is the latest, encouraging people to not wear masks & ignore advice etc

mark82

Especially when you consider the state things like the toilets get in. They must spread disease at the best of times.

wingy

Up to 5 times?
No idea how accurate that is?
But has been suggested in articles.
To produce a mortality rate of one percent of all cases asymptomatic too it would need to 15 times not 5 .
About 5.25 million infections ,I think.

David O'Day

But the testing is taking place more in hotspots now so will be skewed by highly contagious errors. Combine that with the notion that the first peak was probably underestimated....

The whole article is an exercise in confirmation bias.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Social distancing will be easy at St Andrews. Just open up the whole stadium, there will be about 8 thousand of us, family groups, plenty of space between each group, simples. In fact we should be the only team allowed supporters

But would it attract locals as well just wanting to see a match?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Well it depends how you look at things, I mean smoking contributes to 7 million deaths a year globally but they don't rush to ban tobacco 🤷

And the reason they don't rush to ban it? £££ and fear of unpopularity and losing votes. Fuck all to do with the health implications. They know it's dangerous. They know it kills people. They just consider that of less importance than the money and power.

Even then loads of money is spent on anti-smoking to discourage it and get people to stop.

chiefdave

They had someone from the O2 Arena management team on LBC this morning who said they weren't expecting to be allowed to run any events with crowds until April 2021 at the earliest.

BornSlippySkyBlue

the biggest problem I suspect is Birmingham is likely to have a local lockdown every now and again and I suspect we won’t be allowed to travel there
The situation in Birmingham is quite mixed at present. Some areas are far worse than others (2 active cases where I am). I’m not sure they’ll lock the whole city down, maybe more targeted measures. But it is possible I guess.

I think the unis returning will be the big one, 60,000(?) students all returning to live in huge accommodation blocks or large HMOs. Gonna get messy I fear.

chiefdave

U23s at Higgs will also be behind closed doors. How many people used to go given they were usually in the day when everyone's at work?

clint van damme

We’re not going to have fans back this year. The lockdown will tighten over the coming months and into winter.

I really thought we would be but it's looking less likely now. The event in the OP isn't the only such test event that's been cancelled. Think a horse racing one also fell by the wayside yesterday

Saddlebrains

My viewpoint is its no coincidence that the government are hunkering down for the winter with restrictions now after it came out the oxford vaccine trial was stopped due to side affects. They gambled on this vaccine being ready next month. Now it isnt its back to tighter measures.

chiefdave

Maybe not as bad as it seems at first. It could still have gone ahead but the limit was changed from 2K to 1K in attendance. Problem is they've already shifted more tickets than that so they've decided not to bother.

Not sure 1K or 2K in a 8K capacity stadium makes, is that an indication that the initial allowed capacity at St Andrews will also be halved?

fernandopartridge

Hey I just follow the rules, obviously we are all extremely comfortable that a contagious not so contagious virus that's effected less than half a % of the globe is worthy of ruining our kids futures... That's infected not killed.
It is what it is🤷

1. You're conflating cases with infections and 2. Ignoring that the case rate is despite many millions of people wearing masks, social distancing, isolating, furloughed from work etc etc.

it's only killed over 600 NHS and wider socialcare staff in its path but yeah, pretty harmless all in all.

Evo1883

1. You're conflating cases with infections and 2. Ignoring that the case rate is despite many millions of people wearing masks, social distancing, isolating, furloughed from work etc etc.

it's only killed over 600 NHS and wider socialcare staff in its path but yeah, pretty harmless all in all.

Around the entire world, just under 0.1 % of the population have covid, since the beginning its around 0.5% of the world's population .. If you're comfortable with many years of financial struggle and hardship for that... Then that's up to you

Users who are viewing this thread