Ex Player Watch (28 Viewers)

rexo87

Watched the match last night (tbh really enjoyed it) and was surprised at the relative quality in the non-league side. Definitely some players in there that could play L1.

Looking at the National league It’s surprising how many former league sides are in there and presumably operating a full time set up.

The whole national league is full time now and many of them have far bigger budgets than league 2 clubs due to FFP. There is even five teams in Leamington's league (national league north) who are full time now

larry_david

Amazing watching the Notts County 3-0 Jones hatrick win back. Every goal they just sat off Jones and let him walk towards the goal. Jones the other day against Swansea had about 8 men on him before the ball had even got to him. The difference in quality is staggering.

skybluegod

Watched the match last night (tbh really enjoyed it) and was surprised at the relative quality in the non-league side. Definitely some players in there that could play L1.

Looking at the National league It’s surprising how many former league sides are in there and presumably operating a full time set up.

Yeah there are some good players at that level for sure.

Only have to look at the promoted teams of the last few years to show the step up isn't huge.

The Philosopher

The whole national league is full time now and many of them have far bigger budgets than league 2 clubs due to FFP. There is even five teams in Leamington's league (national league north) who are full time now
Thought provoking angle if being out of the EFL means clubs can spend more and attract better players.

Notts County got 12000 fans in the other day which is more than many L1/L2 clubs get.

And yes, as another poster pointed out, clubs that get promoted don’t seem to struggle. This suggests that the gap between NL & L2 is far smaller than Champ/Prem or L1/Champ.

Liquid Gold

There is definitely an argument for expanding L2/NL promotion/relegation to three places.

I also really like how the NL does it's playoff system. Teams down to 7th get a chance and 2nd and 3rd get an actual benefit of player fewer games.

The Philosopher

There is definitely an argument for expanding L2/NL promotion/relegation to three places.

I also really like how the NL does it's playoff system. Teams down to 7th get a chance and 2nd and 3rd get an actual benefit of player fewer games.
That might work.

Random thought: Bury. They were a L2 club who breached the FPP rules and have gone to dust. If they had been relegated, would they have been ok?

Fuzzy logic.

Frostie

National League have been pushing for it for a while (and rightly so), problem is it needs the EFL clubs to agree & vote for it (turkeys voting for Christmas).

The top half of the National League is certainly stronger than the bottom half of League 2 now & I think I'm right in saying no club promoted from NL has been relegated from L2 the following season in over 20 years now.

The problem is, NL don't have any of the FFP/Profit & Sustainability rules that the EFL have so owners can bankroll clubs without fear of points deductions etc. As a result you end up with situations like Wrexham where they're taking players like Paul Mullin on bigger wages than he could get in both League One & even the Championship.
It's going to create massive problems sooner or later with more clubs going to the wall as they they throw around money they don't have to try & compete.

fernandopartridge

National League have been pushing for it for a while (and rightly so), problem is it needs the EFL clubs to agree & vote for it (turkeys voting for Christmas).

The top half of the National League is certainly stronger than the bottom half of League 2 now & I think I'm right in saying no club promoted from NL has been relegated from L2 the following season in over 20 years now.

The problem is, NL don't have any of the FFP/Profit & Sustainability rules that the EFL have so owners can bankroll clubs without fear of points deductions etc. As a result you end up with situations like Wrexham where they're taking players like Paul Mullin on bigger wages than he could get in both League One & even the Championship.
It's going to create massive problems sooner or later with more clubs going to the wall as they they throw around money they don't have to try & compete.
Likewise it's very difficult to get back into the league immediately following relegation. I thought the standard of Stockport's play was easily up there with the L2 fare we saw.

Terry_dactyl

I think Bristol Rovers may be the only team to have gone straight back up in 25 years or something
Bristol Rovers dropped out the league?! I’m sure I must’ve known this at some stage. I kinda follow their results a bit, as I went to a few of their games when they had cureton and Roberts…mate of mine dragged me to watch them when I lived in london. Saw them absolutely wallop Luton (0-5?)and Brentford (2-6?) and some one else I’m sure.
Anyway, i clearly don’t follow them as much as I thought!

TomRad85

I'd just look to make it an official professional League 3 at this point.
I have major problems with English football at the top of the game but I can't think of another country where you could argue for a 5th professional league. I love our pyramid.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

Bristol Rovers dropped out the league?! I’m sure I must’ve known this at some stage. I kinda follow their results a bit, as I went to a few of their games when they had cureton and Roberts…mate of mine dragged me to watch them when I lived in london. Saw them absolutely wallop Luton (0-5?)and Brentford (2-6?) and some one else I’m sure.
Anyway, i clearly don’t follow them as much as I thought!

I think that was only a few years back, by the time we were in League 2 they've not long been back iirc.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I'd just look to make it an official professional League 3 at this point.
I have major problems with English football at the top of the game but I can't think of another country where you could argue for a 5th professional league. I love our pyramid.

The thing is, there are teams in L2/Conference that could probably compete in the top two divisions in some of the Scandinavian countries.

Then look at Spain, Segunda is absolutely shite. The teams towards the bottom of that would genuinely struggle to beat the likes of Forest Green.

We have a lot of very competitive teams here. Always confused me why if you were a lower league player you wouldn´t go and play abroad somewhere. Chris McCann was a funny one if I remember. Shite for us in L1 and then went to Atlanta United, playing in front of 40,000 - 70,000 every week.

rob9872

The thing is, there are teams in L2/Conference that could probably compete in the top two divisions in some of the Scandinavian countries.

Then look at Spain, Segunda is absolutely shite. The teams towards the bottom of that would genuinely struggle to beat the likes of Forest Green.

We have a lot of very competitive teams here. Always confused me why if you were a lower league player you wouldn´t go and play abroad somewhere. Chris McCann was a funny one if I remember. Shite for us in L1 and then went to Atlanta United, playing in front of 40,000 - 70,000 every week.
Birchall too.

TomRad85

40-70k Americans though...

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Watched a game in Chicago where Ivan Guerrero was far and away the best player on the pitch. Freddy Adu (remember him FM fans?) played as was totally anonymous.

SBT

It's not always the most glamorous existence being an MLS player. Until recently they had a rule against teams chartering flights, so you'd have to travel cross-country to away games on some godforsaken commercial flight.

Plus, instead of the Mad Hatters you have this guy:

fernandopartridge

McCann played the majority of his career in the Championship or above tbf. We'd got him as his career was on a downward trajectory (he wasn't that bad just not fit and probably not that bothered given his move to America)

procdoc

I used to play against Stores a lot at 5 a side a few years ago. He’s a good lad to be fair. He went off the rails a bit in his early twenties but decided to fully focus on football and makes a living from it so fair play

Terry Gibson's perm

It's not always the most glamorous existence being an MLS player. Until recently they had a rule against teams chartering flights, so you'd have to travel cross-country to away games on some godforsaken commercial flight.

Plus, instead of the Mad Hatters you have this guy:

What a nutcase that bloke is and what a boring group of songs.

CovBrummie94

Undr the Cosh released a podcast with Ben Turner that speaks a lot about Coventry. Definitely worth a listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

He comes across brilliantly on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, he did another Cov podcast a while ago but the UTC was much better.
He does come across well. The stuff about McIndoe was interesting, likewise the story about when he signed his first pro contract. It really shows why Micky Adams isn't in the game any more. Fancy saying to a promising 18 year old struggling to afford his commute to training "Sign the contract or fuck off". Utter cretin.

Users who are viewing this thread