European championships 2020 thread (6 Viewers)

Sick Boy

I haven’t a clue about Seria A but attendances average championship level is this right?

You’ve chosen a season where a third of the games were played behind closed doors.
The modern experience in a PL stadium is very different to Serie A, especially away from the tourist/plastic clubs like Juventus etc. You also only get a tiny number of away fans as there are restrictions on away fans attending games - so usually they’re only a few hundred.

Last edited:

Evo1883

Italian football has massive problems with infrastructure, alot of stadiums are old and decaying.. it has a problem with transportation links and a huge ultras/ hooligan problem .
It's easier these days for many Italians to watch football on TV /streams .

I have no doubt they are passionate about the sport

Only 3 teams in serie A own/part own their stadium apparently

Grendel

You’ve chosen a season where a third of the games were played behind closed doors.
The modern experience in a PL stadium is very different to Serie A, especially away from the tourist/plastic clubs like Juventus etc. You also only get a tiny number of away fans as there are restrictions on away fans attending games - so usually they’re only a few hundred.

In the prior season it was higher at 25,000 vs 39,000 in the premier league

the real thing that sets England apart from other countries is the leagues below

championship average is 19,000 vs 7,000 U.K. the Italy second league

Evo1883

the real thing that sets England apart from other countries is the leagues below

I think the German 2nd tier has good crowds too mate

Sick Boy

The experience inside the stadiums away from the likes of Juve is very different compared to England, I would image it's something similar to the 1980s still. It's the wider culture and intensity around it - the football culture is very different.

Grendel

Sane in Spain 27,000 and 10,000 averages

Grendel

Sick Boy

A lot of stadiums are council owned, which mean they don't get properly maintained.
I can't imagine what would happen in Verona if the council sold the stadium to a rugby club from Rome.

Evo1883

Yes the figures show German top flight football is the most attended in Europe , and the bundesliga 2 just above the championship too .

Some factors like pricing , free travel to and from matches .

England have more historical clubs than Germany though , the figures are similar throughout the top 2 divisions but the english leagues take over from 3rd tier and below , which shows that smaller more local football is bigger in England than in Germany

Last edited:

wingy

A lot of stadiums are council owned, which mean they don't get properly maintained.
I can't imagine what would happen in Verona if the council sold the stadium to a rugby club from Rome.
What kind of rental agreements do they have,could explain the condition of them , without knowing it's hard to judge,for instance if they're low could it be argued they're subsidised etc

Sick Boy

What kind of rental agreements do they have,could explain the condition of them , without knowing it's hard to judge,for instance if they're low could it be argued they're subsidised etc
No idea to be honest - the Verona one probably hasn't had anything done to it since Italia '90.
Going to the average Serie A stadium probably is like going back to the '80s.
Bizarrely, I have never once seen a policeman inside the home end in the stadium in Verona - I think they are not actually allowed to enter unless of emergencies.

cc84cov

The experience inside the stadiums away from the likes of Juve is very different compared to England, I would image it's something similar to the 1980s still. It's the wider culture and intensity around it - the football culture is very different.
So is a lot of countries mateeee

SkyBlue_Bear83

Seen Perisic tested positive for covid 19, wonder where he got that from considering they just played Scotland and none of there players were in close contact with Billy Gilmour

Mucca Mad Boys

In theory what you saying is right, but the fact you give kudos to Sweden just undermines yourself.

So all of the weaker teams should try to play gung-ho football and get battered 5-0 by the better teams than them?

You wouldn’t even make a good manager on Football Manager.

Fair play to Sweden, they play a solid 4-4-2 shape and hit teams on the counter. They have a pretty average team with a few good individuals and they make the most of it.

COV

So all of the weaker teams should try to play gung-ho football and get battered 5-0 by the better teams than them?

You wouldn’t even make a good manager on Football Manager.

Fair play to Sweden, they play a solid 4-4-2 shape and hit teams on the counter. They have a pretty average team with a few good individuals and they make the most of it.

He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. A simple look at their record tells you they aren’t a bad team.

People seem to have lost all sense of perspective. Just because you’re not winning tournaments and playing like Brazil (because you haven’t got the players to do so), it doesn’t make you “shit”. I don’t ever see Sweden winning anything and they’re not pretty, but they use what they have and are a decent team. I wouldn’t pay to watch them, but they’re obviously pretty effective.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. A simple look at their record tells you they aren’t a bad team.

With England, we’re always blessed to have at least 1 or 2 world class players in our squad. With a nation like Sweden, they just don’t have that. Ibrahimovic was a once in a generation player for them and that Isak looks like he could develop into a really good player.

The only way nations like Sweden can compete at major tournaments is if they’re solid defensively. They’ll very rarely win in a shoot out against the major nations.

For all of the chances they gave up v Spain, on a another day they could’ve scored 2 as they squandered the best chance of the second half!

COV

With England, we’re always blessed to have at least 1 or 2 world class players in our squad. With a nation like Sweden, they just don’t have that. Ibrahimovic was a once in a generation player for them and that Isak looks like he could develop into a really good player.

The only way nations like Sweden can compete at major tournaments is if they’re solid defensively. They’ll very rarely win in a shoot out against the major nations.

For all of the chances they gave up v Spain, on a another day they could’ve scored 2 as they squandered the best chance of the second half!

Greece won the whole thing by playing that way in 2004

Mucca Mad Boys

This was a decent read. Like or dislike Southgate, it’s worth a read.

It’s absolutely fair to say that Tuesday is a big test for Southgate. The culture in the England camp does seem to be different from the one under Sven, Capello and Hodgson.

Beating Germany in a knockout game would be a huge psychological boost. The momentum from that, you’d think, would probably get us to a final.

Mucca Mad Boys

Greece won the whole thing by playing that way in 2004

I wasn’t alive for this tournament, but didn’t Denmark win the whole thing in ‘92 having only got their place at the tournament because Yugoslavia were disqualified?

Grendel

I wasn’t alive for this tournament, but didn’t Denmark win the whole thing in ‘92 having only got their place at the tournament because Yugoslavia were disqualified?

They did. I doubt these teams will get a chance again. The qualifying and more teams added mean stronger nations will come through

Evo1883

On a serious note without lying , I wondered how old you were so I could tell you that you were too young to have a clue , and then I realised I once said Ben Stevenson would be better than James maddison so I backed out and just said "I'm intrigued " @Mucca Mad Boys
giphy.gif

Mucca Mad Boys

On a serious note without lying , I wondered how old you were so I could tell you that you were too young to have a clue , and then I realised I once said Ben Stevenson would be better than James maddison so I backed out and just said "I'm intrigued " @Mucca Mad Boys 👌

That’s fair enough! I’m too much of statto to not have a clue! Even if I’m wrong.

Ultimately, we all want England to do well and compete at these major tournaments and for too long, we haven’t got the fine margins.

On Tuesday, if we beat Germany, Southgate is a hero and genius. If we lose, the knives will be out for a lot of people.

One thing I actually like about Southgate is that he’s not giving into public opinion to play certain players. Some of the more peculiar decisions have actually paid off too e.g. starting Saka or Trippier left back.

Three Lions ‘98 has been on repeat the whole tournament!

Evo1883

That’s fair enough! I’m too much of statto to not have a clue! Even if I’m wrong.

Ultimately, we all want England to do well and compete at these major tournaments and for too long, we haven’t got the fine margins.

On Tuesday, if we beat Germany, Southgate is a hero and genius. If we lose, the knives will be out for a lot of people.

One thing I actually like about Southgate is that he’s not giving into public opinion to play certain players. Some of the more peculiar decisions have actually paid off too e.g. starting Saka or Trippier left back.

Three Lions ‘98 has been on repeat the whole tournament!

Fuck sake we even disagree on which three lions version should be played 🤣

Mucca Mad Boys

Fuck sake we even disagree on which three lions version should be played 🤣

In fairness, I’m only listening to ‘98 in the build up to the Germany game because of the opening is Southgate’s penalty in ‘96.

Otherwise, it is the original for me too - I just didn’t think anyone would be interested in me breaking it down!

Godiva

They did. 1992 in Sweden.

Group:
Denmark - England 0-0
Sweden (!) - Denmark 1-0
France - Denmark 1-2

Semi:
Holland - Denmark 2-2 (pens)

Germany - Denmark 0-2

Users who are viewing this thread