European championships 2020 thread (4 Viewers)

Tommo1993

Just waiting for a bitter little Scottish bitch to start a rumour that Kane and Sterling tested positive

D

Deleted member 4439

Its rubbish, anyone starting fights in a ground these days is going to last a minute or so before being spotted & carted off to the cells. Don't believe a word of it.

Wonder if these did (the pitch invader and the danish player landing the punch on the Swedish player)

1nilandwe...

Southgate's management of the tournament so far means that England should be relatively fresh going into the final. Italy on the other hand were looking leggy at the end of their semi final. Could be a major deciding factor on Sunday.

If England can keep it tight and not get drawn in to dropping deeper and giving the Italians room to play in midfield, a repeat of the Germany match could be on the cards. Head still says Italy by a nose though.

Even if we lose, I don't think I'll be too disappointed. This side has proven that with clear-headed thinking and good plans, England teams can compete and go deep in tournaments. It's so refreshing to see such an obvious style of play, that has been well communicated to the players, even if it's not the most attractive brand of football. How often have we gone into a tournament seemingly without a proper plan. Compare that to other teams around Europe and the world (we all know what Spain, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, Portugal etc. are going to do before a whistle blows).

In a one-off final, anything can happen really. I think this team can be very proud of themselves regardless of result.

Obviously if they win, they should all get knighthoods and never expect to buy a drink anywhere in the country ever again. Maybe even statues of each of them lining Trafalgar Square. Portraits lining the halls of the House of Lords. Etc.

Evo1883

Right OK, to save the inevitable posts after the final if we win .

1. I and some others got it wrong about Southgate
2.some people got it wrong about kane and Sterling
3.some people predict football wrong full stop .

There , get it all out now so we can enjoy the win if it happens 🤞

COV

Right OK, to save the inevitable posts after the final if we win .

1. I and some others got it wrong about Southgate
2.some people got it wrong about kane and Sterling
3.some people predict football wrong full stop .

There , get it all out now so we can enjoy the win if it happens 🤞

haha- we've all got something wrong. I was saying Kane should be rested. Only ones I had an issue with were the ones doing the stupid negative stuff with zero to back it up.

If we win on Sunday perhaps the last thing on my mind would be to be going through old posts to see who said what

1nilandwe...

I think even those of us who weren't so anti-Southgate got it wrong. Nobody expected him to have us playing like this.
This is exactly right.

In hindsight (it being a wonderful thing, obviously) even the draw against Scotland looks like very sensible tournament football against a highly energised and motivated opponent, whereas at the time it felt like a very poor result and performance. Didn't get dragged into a scrap, no injuries or suspensions, conserved energy, effectively qualified for the next round and got the hell out of dodge as fast as they could.

Liquid Gold

This is exactly right.

In hindsight (it being a wonderful thing, obviously) even the draw against Scotland looks like very sensible tournament football against a highly energised and motivated opponent, whereas at the time it felt like a very poor result and performance. Didn't get dragged into a scrap, no injuries or suspensions, conserved energy, effectively qualified for the next round and got the hell out of dodge as fast as they could.
Very good point. I lost my shit after that result but it could have been chaos. Got it out the way, topped the group and then bought our game during the knockout stages like a sensible team does.

England of the past would have put their performance of the tournament in during that game then failed in the knockouts.

*cough* 2016 *cough*

COV

Very good point. I lost my shit after that result but it could have been chaos. Got it out the way, topped the group and then bought our game during the knockout stages like a sensible team does.

England of the past would have put their performance of the tournament in during that game then failed in the knockouts.

*cough* 2016 *cough*

I don't remember any really good performances in 2016 tbh

COV

But we beat our 'rivals'.

Yes thats true, I remember it being not the greatest of matches though.

If we are genuinely aiming to be a team that gets to the tail end of every tournament then the group phases don't really mean too much, many times the eventual winners have a dodgy result or two in the group stages as they're really going through the motions ready for the knockout stages. I think it was Klinsmann or someone who said that the German mentality was that as long as you have 4 points after 2 games the rest is not important- performances, flowing football etc

1nilandwe...

Yes thats true, I remember it being not the greatest of matches though.

If we are genuinely aiming to be a team that gets to the tail end of every tournament then the group phases don't really mean too much, many times the eventual winners have a dodgy result or two in the group stages as they're really going through the motions ready for the knockout stages. I think it was Klinsmann or someone who said that the German mentality was that as long as you have 4 points after 2 games the rest is not important- performances, flowing football etc
Especially in a tournament where 3rd place qualifies from the majority of groups.

COV

Especially in a tournament where 3rd place qualifies from the majority of groups.

Thats very true

Because a team like Germany are so used to getting to semis/ finals, they don't get as hung up on the group stages as we do, we tend to put way too much emphasis on putting on great shows against minnows like Scotland :)

1nilandwe...

Thats very true

Because a team like Germany are so used to getting to semis/ finals, they don't get as hung up on the group stages as we do, we tend to put way too much emphasis on putting on great shows against minnows like Scotland :)
We all fell for it though didn't we? It felt like a defeat. Like negative, anti-football. Scotland came away celebrating a 0-0 that meant they had to go and beat Croatia to qualify. They treated it like their final and it showed.

COV

We all fell for it though didn't we? It felt like a defeat. Like negative, anti-football. Scotland came away celebrating a 0-0 that meant they had to go and beat Croatia to qualify. They treated it like their final and it showed.

I was ok with it and ended up bickering on here that it wasn't really important, I do understand though.

I think the way games like that get built up it feels disappointing, it was meaningless really though with it being their massive cup final. In a tournament the only really 'big' games are the knockout games, thats the mentality we need.

1nilandwe...

I was ok with it and ended up bickering on here that it wasn't really important, I do understand though.

I think the way games like that get built up it feels disappointing, it was meaningless really though with it being their massive cup final. In a tournament the only really 'big' games are the knockout games, thats the mentality we need.
Yup. Lump on 3-0 England. Maguire (22), Kane (Pen) (74), Kane (90+3).
You heard it here first.

COV

Yup. Lump on 3-0 England. Maguire (22), Kane (Pen) (74), Kane (90+3).
You heard it here first.

I'll be a happy man if that happens

You never know, we do usually start strong- maybe we'll blow them away early and shock everyone.

D

Deleted member 4439

Don’t think I’ve ever watched it in full!

No, nor perhaps me. Although it's a well worn story, could be interesting, though we'll probably come away from it less than impressed with some of the standards of play!

CJ_covblaze

Two tickets purchased. Upper tier but we’re there and that’s all that matters. 48 hours to go…

SlowerThanPlatt

Some offering a grand. On that note, be extra cautious unless you’re buying through official channels, scams are rife atm getting people to pay through F+F or bank transfer so there’s no chance of getting your money back.

cc84cov

Denmark were knackered. They had one day less to rest. Their last game was a tough game in the baking oven in Baku. which also meant they had to spend two days travelling.
England had an extra day to rest and they didn't have to travel. Their last game was an easy one that really didn't broke any sweat.

Denmarks last sub and their remaining fresh energy only spend a couple of minutes before he was injured by Kyle Walker.

So yes they had to spend their subs quite early.

The final is a bit different.
Although England has the home advantage they had one less day to rest. And Italy is a completely different opponent.
If it goes to extra time Italy will have a lot more energy to burn than England. So hopefully Kane will win this in ordinary time.
No chance our bench is far superior to theirs we will be fine

CJ_covblaze

Something to watch on Saturday

This has taken a lot of hard work by a great team of people. Well worth a watch. Amazing what’s been achieved in a relatively short amount of time.

CJ_covblaze

How much?
95€ each. Loving UEFA’s pricing this tournament. I thought they might jack up the prices by trying to make some of the money back that they’ve lost due to the reduced prices but all credit to them, they’ve kept them the same.

CJ_covblaze

Users who are viewing this thread