European championships 2020 thread (7 Viewers)

PVA

It's just all so depressing and anti-climatic

For years now we've always been very defensive and stodgy at major tournaments. Sometimes understandably so with the squads we had.

But I really thought this tournament could/would be different. When was the last time we had a squad stacked with this much young talent in the attacking positions? We could blow teams away with our quality, and I really thought this would be the tournament where we let the shackles off and play some attractive and attacking football.

Instead we just revert to type. Classic England at a major tournament.

All that talent and all we can muster is 2 goals in 3 matches at home to Croatia, Scotland and Czech Republic. Arguably even worse than that is the fact that only Finland and Hungary have had less shots per game than England in the entire tournament.

Just 7 shots per game against that opposition is criminal. Italy top the list with 20 and they are playing exactly how we should be playing.

D

Deleted member 11652

It's just all so depressing and anti-climatic

For years now we've always been very defensive and stodgy at major tournaments. Sometimes understandably so with the squads we had.

But I really thought this tournament could/would be different. When was the last time we had a squad stacked with this much young talent in the attacking positions? We could blow teams away with our quality, and I really thought this would be the tournament where we let the shackles off and play some attractive and attacking football.

Instead we just revert to type. Classic England at a major tournament.

All that talent and all we can muster is 2 goals in 3 matches at home to Croatia, Scotland and Czech Republic. Arguably even worse than that is the fact that only Finland and Hungary have had less shots per game than England in the entire tournament.

Just 7 shots per game against that opposition is criminal. Italy top the list with 20 and they are playing exactly how we should be playing.

The problem is while results are okay we get away with it just like at the 2018 World Cup.

We were poor in both the opening 2 games and we managed a decent first 45 yesterday before shutting up shop for the win.

People will say it’s fine as we’ve kept clean sheets when in reality, we will be found out in the latter stages playing this way just like we were in 2018.

I hope I’m wrong but I can’t see us going 1-0 up early against France / Germany / Portugal in the next round and managing to hold on like we will be set up to do.

All we can hope is some of our attacking talent produce moments of magic and we win the tournament in spite of the manager.

Mucca Mad Boys

That is a strategy that was very well suited to the famous Italian sides of the 80s and 90s, I question how suited it is to our crop of players.

Southgate has a very pragmatic view of international football. Even recently successful international teams have bored fans en route to success.

2010 World Cup - Spain won every game by 1 goals, bar a 2-0 win v Honduras.

2016 Euros - Portugal, drew all their group games. Won in ET v Croatia, penalities v Poland, 2-0 v Wales in the semi-finals and an ET goal v France.

In short, we’ve done the right thing by prioritising the defence. In international football, conceding more than one goal and you’re probably going to lose the game.

COV

Southgate has a very pragmatic view of international football. Even recently successful international teams have bored fans right now route to success.

2016 Euros - Portugal, drew all their group games. Won in ET v Croatia, penalities v Poland, 2-0 v Wales in the semi-finals and an ET goal v France.

In short, we’ve done the right thing by prioritising the defence. In international football, conceding more than one goal and you’re probably going to lose the game.

How many free flowing thrashings have France handed out over the last couple of years, the world’s best team

Mucca Mad Boys

How many free flowing thrashings have France handed out over the last couple of years, the world’s best team

I travelled around France for Euro 2016 and watched the France games with a few French mates. They had similar things to say about Deschamps as we do about Southgate now. He’s a negative manager with a team with great attacking talent.

Well, he’s done alright since. Despite starting Giroud ahead of Benzema for as long as he did.

Reactions: COV

David O'Day

They do have a better defence than we do. The thing that worries be about trying to grind out wins is our defence has a mistake or two in it

Torquay Sky Blue

Our defence is a massive problem hence the two HM's having to come so deep virtually offering no attacking options whatsoever.
Also Rice has been gotten at by the sideways pass police

Skybluefaz

Few thoughts on the game now the dust has settled:

1. it’s clear the gameplan is to get a goal and try and protect our lead and I think that Southgate has used the games vs Croatia and Czech to fine tune this, although it concerns me. Czech in particular had some half decent chances in the first half, and if that Soucek chance falls to Benzema or Griezmann then we’d be fucked. Much like Cov, sitting back is not the best option.

2. Grealish and Saka were both really impressive, particularly when we were looking more dominant in the first 30 minutes or so. Saka’s defensive work as well was of huge benefit. Surprised me how little defensive work Sterling does considering the manager puts so much emphasis on defensive contribution. Most of their threat came down our left when neither Grealish or Sterling tracked back.

3. Henderson coming on gave us much more forward thrust with his passing range, albeit at a time when we were less enthused about going forward. However, he looked leggy. If he’s properly fit I think he needs to start but I don’t think he is.
My ponderings got me thinking of how England are kind of on a similar run to us when we won league one. Plenty of single goal wins and hard to beat. Clean sheets. Maybe it is the sign of a good team and we/I am being overly critical at the lack of chance creation...

SkyBlueDom26

Dom is Boosh, operating on one of his many accounts.

Can 10000% confirm it isn't me so don't get where that's come from:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Just because someone agrees with anothers posts or is mates with them doesn't mean its them on another account ffs....bizarre stalker behavior from yourself.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Southgate has a very pragmatic view of international football. Even recently successful international teams have bored fans en route to success.

Ignoring the more free scoring Germans of 2014 and French of 2018. Our defence is not world class, our forward line is if not close. What do we do if we concede first and we’ve set up to do tiki taka in our box?

COV

Ignoring the more free scoring Germans of 2014 and French of 2018. Our defence is not world class, our forward line is if not close. What do we do if we concede first and we’ve set up to do tiki taka in our box?

In 2018 France won 2-1, won 1-0 and drew 0-0 in the group stages. And people complained about Deschamps tactics. We don’t have their players but you’re making things up again

A question- have you ever enjoyed watching England? If so which England team in particular?

The expectations are stupid. We think we’ve got all these amazing players, so much ability- well we did in 2004 and 2006 too- when it comes down to it we don’t have players who compete at the very highest level, and never have since 1966.

So constantly berating the manager for not doing things that nobody else has ever done and which history shows to be impossible- what’s the point? He needs to get as far in the tournament as possible, and setting out to batter Scotland 5-0 just to keep the keyboard experts happy, why should he

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

since the end of the golden generation in '06 our record has been generally abysmal.

'08 - DNQ
10 - 1 game out of the group
12 - 1 game out of the group
14 - eliminated in the group
16 - 1 game out of the group
18 - semi finalists
20 - 7 points from 3, no goals conceded

We're doing alright with Southgate so far, international football is generally more tedious than some of the free flowing stuff at club level and at least this tedium has bought results.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
I think some fans have a Spurs/West Ham view of the England team in that there is a 'way of playing' that they should be adhering to.

We may well lose when we play a team better than us, but don't let that stop you enjoying the victories! A win's a win.

COV

I think some fans have a Spurs/West Ham view of the England team in that there is a 'way of playing' that they should be adhering to.

We may well lose when we play a team better than us, but don't let that stop you enjoying the victories! A win's a win.

Spot on- we have no right at all to be demanding anything, our record is atrocious and too many people are totally deluded

Liquid Gold

I was pretty shocked reading though here this morning. I've got a sore head from celebrating us winning at the pub. Being able to celebrate wins doesn't come often enough, take them.

SkyBlueDom26

Anybody's got a chance when it comes to the knockouts......I just hope we avoid the Germans as that will be toughest game out of the 3.

Liquid Gold

Anybody's got a chance when it comes to the knockouts......I just hope we avoid the Germans as that will be toughest game out of the 3.
I'd prefer to avoid France, Mbappe and Griezman running behind our backline sends shivers down my spine.

I'd obviously want Hungary but as that's unlikely I'd take Germany over Portugal.

England v Germany in the Euros at Wembley. Stuff of dreams.

Users who are viewing this thread