European breakaway league (4 Viewers)

tisza

Still think anything without promotion and relegation drastically decreases in value. The American owners in this ignore that NFL only has 16 games per season so interest doesn't fade so quick. Baseball & NBA TV interest soon fades once teams are out of play-off contention.

gally9

Still think anything without promotion and relegation drastically decreases in value. The American owners in this ignore that NFL only has 16 games per season so interest doesn't fade so quick. Baseball & NBA TV interest soon fades once teams are out of play-off contention.
Americans don’t understand football full stop. They also don’t understand fan power.. fans will boycott this. 100%.

tisza

Americans don’t understand football full stop. They also don’t understand fan power.. fans will boycott this. 100%.
There would be enough to fill stadiums then it's all about the big money Asian TV markets. They must have done numbers assuming there would be a large enough pay-TV market in Europe.

TomRad85

Doesn't matter if fans boycott it, if they still pay their TV subscriptions.
Let them go and become a TV show. Leave English football to the fans...

As an aside, time to merge with the Scots leagues if we boot these cunts out?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

chiefdave

“By bringing together the world's greatest clubs and players to play each other throughout the season, the Super League will open a new chapter for European football, ensuring world-class competition and facilities, and increased financial support for the wider football pyramid."
In the Premier League years the 'world's greatest clubs' have of course always been concerned about financial support for the wider football pyramid :LOL:

But its good that clubs would get money to upgrade some of the countries outdated stadiums such as the Emirate, Tottenham Stadium and Etihad.

Fair play though. You've got to have some balls to stand up and spout such obvious bullshit.

gally9

There would be enough to fill stadiums then it's all about the big money Asian TV markets. They must have done numbers assuming there would be a large enough pay-TV market in Europe.
Didn’t consider that.. bloody awful. Imagine having your club torn away from you........... wait..

SBT

Sorry are you ill?

No, I’m trying to understand what the legal justification for throwing them out of the Premier League forever is. Otherwise all this big bollocks talk of exiling them, as fun as it clearly is for some people, is going to crumble at the sight of the first lawsuit from the Glazers etc.

TomRad85

No, I’m trying to understand what the legal justification for throwing them out of the Premier League forever is. Otherwise all this big bollocks talk of exiling them, as fun as it clearly is for some people, is going to crumble at the sight of the first lawsuit from the Glazers etc.
Deary me

Frostie

It's plastered all over the rules of PL membership that they can't just go & setup/join other competitions.

20210419_090816.png

SBT

It's plastered all over the rules of PL membership that they can't just go & setup/join other competitions.

View attachment 19654

Cheers.

Well heaven forbid a major team like Man United break one of the rules on that list! Especially if it was just to play in some newfangled international club competition. I’m sure there would be hell to pay!

Skybluefaz

Surely they must have agreements in place stipulating that they can't just piss off and join up to such a competition. Granted I'm just assuming, but if they have broken agreements then punishments would usually follow and expulsion is not that crazy.

PVA

Hopefully they get kicked out the PL.

If it then doesn't go ahead their reputation will be tarnished for a long, long time.

Frostie

Cheers.

Well heaven forbid a major team like Man United break one of the rules on that list! Especially if it was just to play in some newfangled international club competition. I’m sure there would be hell to pay!

"Except with prior written approval of the board"

I believe the FA encouraged/forced United to play in the World Club Cup back in 2000

SBT

"Except with prior written approval of the board"

I believe the FA encouraged/forced United to play in the World Club Cup back in 2000

That clause only appears to apply to rule L.9, but you’re right that United pulled out of the FA Cup with the FA’s help - they wanted to curry favour with FIFA as part of the 2006 World Cup bid. All of which goes to show that these bodies have been perfectly happy to bend/ignore the rules to chase their own commercial interests for decades. It’s the whole reason the Premier League exists ffs. Nice of them to find their voice now.

fernandopartridge

I don't think a domestic fan boycott will make much difference, these teams have long since abandoned any pretence of being a club embedded into a local community. They are global brands. The ESL isn't looking to exploit existing 'markets', it's creating entirely new ones.

fernandopartridge

That clause only appears to apply to rule L.9, but you’re right that United pulled out of the FA Cup with the FA’s help - they wanted to curry favour with FIFA as part of the 2006 World Cup bid. All of which goes to show that these bodies have been perfectly happy to bend/ignore the rules to chase their own commercial interests for decades. It’s the whole reason the Premier League exists ffs. Nice of them to find their voice now.

Indeed, Sky Sports of course founded prior to the formation of the breakaway Premier League which has opened up such a chasm in football that numerous clubs have gone into administration, with some gone altogether. Crocodile tears.

TomRad85

They would be banned.
fd8922bbdc893f27e47651d21cb7578b.jpg

Grendel

I don't think a domestic fan boycott will make much difference, these teams have long since abandoned any pretence of being a club embedded into a local community. They are global brands. The ESL isn't looking to exploit existing 'markets', it's creating entirely new ones.

Yes I’m certain the compromise to squash the idea is to play premier games around the world especially the Far East

Users who are viewing this thread