Transfer Rumour Ellis Simms (2 Viewers)

Liquicon

People keep saying this about his first touch. Weren't his first two goals the other night possible because of a good first touch?
I think it's actually more of a decision thing than a first touch with Simms. I think he actively looks for a quick knock down to someone to progress, but sometimes gets the direction wrong or the recipient doesn't expect it.
A lot of times he manages to trap the ball fine, the second half against Preston there were plenty of examples. Probably has been a noticeable improvement recently as his confidence has grown.

Wright on the other hand...

mmttww

I think it's actually more of a decision thing than a first touch with Simms. I think he actively looks for a quick knock down to someone to progress, but sometimes gets the direction wrong or the recipient doesn't expect it.

That makes more sense. Noticed this vs. Maidstone. Rushed his link up play when he didn't need to.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

People keep saying this about his first touch. Weren't his first two goals the other night possible because of a good first touch?
He couldn't trap a bag of sand I've often said . However I have to say the other night his first touch couldn't have been better. Absolutely superb.

Reactions: JSL

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Coaching staff staring to work their magic. 🤪

fernandopartridge

You can see on the City Unseen vid after the match when Simms is being interviewed,Palmer's trying to distract him & make him laugh but Simms is having none of it & Palmer just gives up & says something like 'He's being serious' - it's just the way Simms is
I think he'll probably come out of his shell a bit more but yeah it just seems to be his nature

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

messiahrobins

Simms is a lot better with Wright and Sakamoto either side as they take defenders away from him so he has more space. Tonight he was so isolated and he is not Gyokeres. In that role tonight Wright maybe a better option although not convinced striker is his best position as inside forward from the left seems better.

Evo1883

Many city fans have got themselves in position where they've convinced themselves this lad is the business and improving ..

Personally I've been trying to convince myself all season he will be good but he simply can't hit a ball cleanly at all 90% of the time .

I don't know what to think in reality , I feel like he's underwhelming , and needs to improve substantially next season , personally think we need a new striker as a priority

Flying Fokker

[
Many city fans have got themselves in position where they've convinced themselves this lad is the business and improving ..

Personally I've been trying to convince myself all season he will be good but he simply can't hit a ball cleanly at all 90% of the time .

I don't know what to think in reality , I feel like he's underwhelming , and needs to improve substantially next season , personally think we need a new striker as a priority
I think most people see potential. We need to replace Godden anyway so another 2 strikers will be better. But, we’ve scored more goals this season anyway.

Simms will come good even if it is not with us a la Connor Chaplin.

O’Hare is a ghost of the player he was a few games ago. It happens.

stay_up_skyblues

Seen him described as the ‘worst opposition striker we’ve seen at the Hawthorns in a while’ by a few Baggies fans…

If an oppo striker put four or five in the stand and shanked a few with his shin and ankle we’d be saying the same. He looked an absolute carthorse last night.

stay_up_skyblues

This is where I’m at with him. His first touch, technique and finishing are all so far below par every three games out of five. It may look worse as, in his defence, he rarely goes missing (Ala Wright) and so his errors are more noticeable. But it’s sometimes mind boggling to me that he’s come through a premier league route. You’d think a decent first touch would be the minimum required to make it to Everton’s bench.

Evo1883

Fans saying he's best with the ball played infront of him but failing to say that his best chances last night the ball was played infront of him

Boicey

Some of the media pundits seem to be openly going after Simms now. Not going to do him any good.
Wont do his resale value any good either.

Saddlebrains

Some of the media pundits seem to be openly going after Simms now. Not going to do him any good.
Wont do his resale value any good either.

Vindication in a way though, for those of us who have stood by the fact he is a honking footballer

Tommo1993

I thought there was some promise there when he took that shot that hit the bar and went in off Ayari. But I’m not sure I’ve ever seen someone with a consistently horrific shot on him. FWIW Wright isn’t that much better with his.

Deity

Simms is fucking shit

A hatty v some plumbers doesnt change that

Hes dense aswell by all accounts
He’s still young and I have no doubt will have a very successful career and certainly much better than fans favourite Godden has had.

He’s a confidence player. His shooting last night was poor but another week one of those hits will go in.

The intellect point is a red herring. Wayne Rooney isn’t the brightest, didn’t impact him too much on the pitch.

stay_up_skyblues

I just feel with Wright, if he gets the service, he will make the chance and hit the target the majority of the time. Whereas Simms will put it out the stadium or it’ll bounce of his shin, even if he is the one to close down and try and put a tackle in.

stay_up_skyblues

Between them there are potentially the attributes to form a decent partnership. Simms doing the donkey (pun honestly not intended) work and Wright finishing. But that would require a commitment to two up top and consistent formation change which I can’t see.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Let's be honest here, both Wright and Simms have been a colossal waste of money.

1 can't hit a cows arse with a banjo and the other can't even play in his position. Just imagine the type of winger we could have got for 9 million.
I totally agree. Some people are just blinded by love for the club.

Simms shooting was abysmal last night. So many sprayed over the bar. It's a regular theme with him. Wright bought at a very inflated price and isn't good value at all.

SKYBLUES90

He’s still young and I have no doubt will have a very successful career and certainly much better than fans favourite Godden has had.

He’s a confidence player. His shooting last night was poor but another week one of those hits will go in.

The intellect point is a red herring. Wayne Rooney isn’t the brightest, didn’t impact him too much on the pitch.

‘He’s a confidence player. His shooting last night was poor but another week one of those hits will go in.’

Go in where? Outta space!?

It’s getting borderline funny now, everyone saying give him time, there’s a player in there somewhere etc.

First touch is stonking, for a big man is soft as paper, cant hit a ball to save his life, could continue.

We’ve had our pants pulled down by Everton, only upside is he’s not going to meet the triggers for paying more if it’s based on goals.

Brighton Sky Blue

Simms is fucking shit

A hatty v some plumbers doesnt change that

Hes dense aswell by all accounts
McF is also not the sharpest tool in the box, doesn’t matter really it’s about how your football brain works on the pitch. For me Simms has the attributes needed to be a strong forward in this league but he’s so reserved and inhibited that you have a lot of work on your hands to coax it out.

Wright is similar and has made a fist of it on the left but let’s be honest, he wasn’t signed to play out there. They were signed with the intent of playing as a duo.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Let's be honest here, both Wright and Simms have been a colossal waste of money.

1 can't hit a cows arse with a banjo and the other can't even play in his position. Just imagine the type of winger we could have got for 9 million.

Wright gets away with a hell of a lot, his finishing is wank and he can’t even play upfront like you said. Typical our record signing is a crock of shit, but when you question the recruitment, some get ultra defensive.

The fact we bought dumb and dumber and still are crying out for a proper striker speaks volumes….

alexccfc99

Seen him described as the ‘worst opposition striker we’ve seen at the Hawthorns in a while’ by a few Baggies fans…
Genuinely could not give a toss what the opposition think of our players very much like I couldn't care less whether we are liked as a fanbase or not

Matt smith

McF is also not the sharpest tool in the box, doesn’t matter really it’s about how your football brain works on the pitch. For me Simms has the attributes needed to be a strong forward in this league but he’s so reserved and inhibited that you have a lot of work on your hands to coax it out.

Wright is similar and has made a fist of it on the left but let’s be honest, he wasn’t signed to play out there. They were signed with the intent of playing as a duo.
For a guy of his size he just gets bullied

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

‘He’s a confidence player. His shooting last night was poor but another week one of those hits will go in.’

It’s getting borderline funny now, everyone saying give him time, there’s a player in there somewhere etc.

First touch is stonking, for a big man is soft as paper, cant hit a ball to save his life, could continue.

We’ve had our pants pulled down by Everton, only upside is he’s not going to meet the triggers for paying more if it’s based on goals.

The he could come good like McNulty line has served it’s purpose now. McNulty had started regularly scoring by January and had built up play with Biamou etc Simms couldn’t score in an opium den and has fuck all chemistry with Wright.

Sakamoto looking an even bigger loss. All I can think is start preparing for next year. The playoffs are only good if you win them, there’s no way even if we got to the playoffs that our available squad could beat any of the teams likely to be in there.

Torquay Sky Blue

Simms has the technical ability of a very average striker. Snatches at chances and constantly leaning backwards.
People need to stop blowing smoke up his arse and grasp reality here. It's not confidence, he's just not very good. And as for dumber, words fail me. If he put as much effort in as he does on his appearance he'd be half decent

TomRad85

He's been improving recently, one game doesn't change that. I do think he could well find himself as our second choice CF next season though. I hope so anyway.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

CCFCSteve

Hardly had our pants pulled down. Ipswich and Sunderland also offered similar sums we offered more upside on promotion etc

He’s had a decent run recently. Just poor finishing last night but wasnt the only one

Ashdown

Robins will know by now that whilst some of his acquisitions this year have looked good, he's paid way too much for two bang average forwards . Neither consistently have been impressive. I would say both have improved marginally from early doors but they are not the future if we have any ambition of promotion next season.

pusbccfc

The fans have backed him all season and he continues look poor. He's played a lot of minutes and contributed very, very little. That's the difference between him and Haji.

You only have to look at twitter and other forums and he's the laughing stock of the league.

We're actually pretty lucky we only paid £3.5m and are unlikely to ever pay the rest. £8m would have been a travesty.

Everyone wants him to do well. He got heeps of praise after QPR and Maidstone. I'm glad people aren't on his back at games but it won't take long when you hear the abuse Da Silva gets.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Robins will know by now that whilst some of his acquisitions this year have looked good, he's paid way too much for two bang average forwards . Neither consistently have been impressive. I would say both have improved marginally from early doors but they are not the future if we have any ambition of promotion next season.

Let’s hope that Simms and Wright are like Hiwula and Bakayoko, one season pathways to better things.

Users who are viewing this thread