EFL to end season this week - City likely to be promoted (4 Viewers)

Specs WT-R75

Actually our away form pre-Christmas makes no sense when compared to our form.since then. 7 wins and a draw in the last 8 away games. if we had won 3 or 4 of the away games pre-Christmas, the other league 1 teams would need a telescope to see us.

We did not have much luck for the first 'half' season of our away games. Bolton, Oxford, Peterborough all games we could easily have won. I think it was just a mental block and once we beat Wycombe that was the monkey off our backs - we really didn't look back.

Gibbo

The vote is on the 8th, assuming the league voted to play on all players and staff would need to be tested before returning to training, this would take a few days, let's say 4 days which gets us to the 12th, we haven't played since March so would need several weeks training minimum, lets say a month as that is what Robins stated a few weeks back but you think 5 days would suffice, it would realistically take until near the end of August to play out the season, that is before you address the very different financial positions of the PL and league one, don't see it happening I'm afraid.
My problem with it is that it would be an absolute lottery with about as much connection to the season so far as ppg. In fact ppg would have a closer connection. Previous form would be out of the window. Clubs with nothing to play for would be just trying to avoid injury. Players who are out of contract may not be playing, so the sides could bear little resemblance to the last game played. They would be unfit and team ethic much weaker. It would be a one off mini league. Sods law would be that Posh lose form the most and miss out....

DannyThomas_1981

Actually our away form pre-Christmas makes no sense when compared to our form.since then. 7 wins and a draw in the last 8 away games. if we had won 3 or 4 of the away games pre-Christmas, the other league 1 teams would need a telescope to see us.

It was the switch to 5-3-1-1(and from memory that happened during half time in one game) that really accelerated this season.

The building blocks were already in place with fantastic recruitment: Marosi, Dabo, Rose, McFadzean, Godden, the emergence of McCallum and the brilliant loan signings in Walsh and O'Hare.

Combine that with top class coaching that gave the team a real possession football identity and it was a winning formula.

I haven't looked at the possession stats but in my view we reached peaked form in January and February, we seemed to be playing teams off the park week after week. In the last 4 weeks of the season we then found a way to win without hitting some of the heights we'd found earlier - always a sign of a good team to battle it out in the key matches and walk away with a result.

Something we don't talk about enough is how good our defence has been. Goals against must be the lowest in the League and on this platform we've built the success we've had. My favourite season in 40 years for all kinds of reasons, it's been a joy to watch our style of play and the way this team has developed.

Specs WT-R75

It was the switch to 5-3-1-1(and from memory that happened during half time in one game) that really accelerated this season.

The building blocks were already in place with fantastic recruitment: Marosi, Dabo, Rose, McFadzean, Godden, the emergence of McCallum and the brilliant loan signings in Walsh and O'Hare.

Combine that with top class coaching that gave the team a real possession football identity and it was a winning formula.

I haven't looked at the possession stats but in my view we reached peaked form in January and February, we seemed to be playing teams off the park week after week. In the last 4 weeks of the season we then found a way to win without hitting some of the heights we'd found earlier - always a sign of a good team to battle it out in the key matches and walk away with a result.

Something we don't talk about enough is how good our defence has been. Goals against must be the lowest in the League and on this platform we've built the success we've had. My favourite season in 40 years for all kinds of reasons, it's been a joy to watch our style of play and the way this team has developed.

I think the switch was during the Blackpool game where we went 2 down...I agree with you that this season had been the most enjoyable of my time supporting the club - even more enjoyable than the year we only lost 1 game at home in the prem (96/7 I think).

Liquid Gold

We've been in incredible for sine December and you may be right that our play wasn't as slick in the last few games but that has something to do with the opposition. Going into these games a lot of us were talking about just trying to remain in contention. We played Pompey, Rotherham, Sunderland and Ipswich in a 6 game period won 3 and drew one. The other games were away at lower sides where we usually struggle and we won them at a canter.

This is the best Coventry City team, relative to opposition, that I've ever seen. I'm just disappointed we won't get the opportunity to have that final game when we win the league, get on the pitch with the players and give them the adulation they deserve. Some of them will never play for us again and they deserve that moment.

ccfcway

This is the best Coventry City team, relative to opposition, that I've ever seen. I'm just disappointed we won't get the opportunity to have that final game when we win the league, get on the pitch with the players and give them the adulation they deserve. Some of them will never play for us again and they deserve that moment.

agreed, its a shame, but not the end of the world. Celebrating in front of max 10k cov fans at St Andrews isn't what they deserve either.

onwards and upwards.

Ring Of Steel

I think the switch was during the Blackpool game where we went 2 down...I agree with you that this season had been the most enjoyable of my time supporting the club - even more enjoyable than the year we only lost 1 game at home in the prem (96/7 I think).

I don’t think it was 96/97, that season was a disaster. Without looking it up I guess you mean the following year when we only lost two at home (albeit to Villa and Leicester), I don’t think we’ve ever had a year in the top flight where we only lost one game

skybluebeast

Why does the ceo think city players are coming back 8/6?
No idea, for a party to celebrate winning the league or maybe covering all bases and having the lads in the right mind set in preparation for the league re starting. All I know is from what I was told Dave Boddy is expecting the players to be back in on 08/06.

robbiekeane

We've been in incredible for sine December and you may be right that our play wasn't as slick in the last few games but that has something to do with the opposition. Going into these games a lot of us were talking about just trying to remain in contention. We played Pompey, Rotherham, Sunderland and Ipswich in a 6 game period won 3 and drew one. The other games were away at lower sides where we usually struggle and we won them at a canter.

I have to say I’m disappointed I won’t get that feeling. But I guess we all had it for the league two playoff final so we at least have that. And we were on the journey. Just a shame this is the best season I’ve ever had as a coventry city fan and it was the same year I moved abroad!

Johhny Blue

You forgot Kastaneer

better days

Maybe I’m getting confused and misunderstanding what you are all taking about however, I’m sure Robins said they can’t force players to train whilst on furlough. Although, if non compulsory sessions were put on, it would surely take a brave player to not turn up.
HMRC have indicated that players can train while furloughed but not in organised groups

Sky Blue Pete

Really good shout that. I do wonder whether that emotional connection may be highlighted after what’s gone on with covid. Fully expect some celebration once we are out again with players returning to something if they’ve moved on. Quite emotional about not seeing Ohare and Walsh play for us again. I’m still gobsmacked at ohares injury and his python like ability to get up and carry on in the game

Sky Blue Pete

No idea, for a party to celebrate winning the league or maybe covering all bases and having the lads in the right mind set in preparation for the league re starting. All I know is from what I was told Dave Boddy is expecting the players to be back in on 08/06.
Ah ta that’s interesting that he’s told you but not one of the first team squad.

skybluebeast

Ah ta that’s interesting that he’s told you but not one of the first team squad.
See you are your usual cynical self. Forgot no one else could make a comment other than the most informed fan on here. You been standing on the corner of memorial park again waiting for Max to come round.
Also at no point did I say he told me.

Sky Blue Pete

See you are your usual cynical self. Forgot no one else could make a comment other than the most informed fan on here. You been standing on the corner of memorial park again waiting for Max to come round.
Also at no point did I say he told me.
No not at all just interested in accurate information, was trying to understand the position

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

steve cooper

Done some calculations, if we have 4 weeks training which is roughly getting the premier league training time, that will bring us to July 6th.

I’ve read they want lg1 & 2 done by July 31st, that gives us 25 days to fit 10 league games in with a further 3 if we cock up the league - not happening

There are a number of reasons why the season can't continue, IMO. Not least because I don't think the EFL will want to be in a situation where 12 teams effectively bankrupt the other 11 (or whatever the numbers turn out to be, in the event of a vote for continuation). That's why we haven't had a vote yet, I think. The EFL, I'm sure, have been stalling until there is a solution accceptable to a sizeable majority of clubs, which I think, can only be to end with PPG. Imagine nearly half the league fielding kids to make up their team after letting their out of contract players leave. This would skew up results big time and possibly lead to further problems where clubs now say their promotion / relegation chances were damaged by other teams.
I read that the EFL are possibly considering Tranmere's suggested option, this may be because they think there could be a consensus somewhere within that which will carry a sizeable or acceptable majority. It seemed like a stupid suggestion, but we'll see next Monday (hopefully).

Philosorapter

On a side note.

Does promotion mean we enter the FA Cup third round again?

Users who are viewing this thread