Early Season - how do we think it will go ? (1 Viewer)

fatso

I’d settle for survival this season, our squad is quite young and inexperienced at this level, and our small budget means improvements will be small and take time.

SeaSeeEffCee

Not as optimistic as I was a month ago. As others have said we're less than three weeks away from kick off and you'd struggle to argue that we've really strengthened from last season. A lot of work to still be done.

Gint11

Tough first game however on their forum they are cautious about our game. Suggesting playing a promoted team with momentum is a banana skin. Remember it takes about 10 games to see where we are.

capel & collindridge

Tough first game however on their forum they are cautious about our game. Suggesting playing a promoted team with momentum is a banana skin. Remember it takes about 10 games to see where we are.
So the North or South thread should be running for another couple of months at least? Didn't see the point of it before!

Hobo

Early Season? I think it is going to be a tough year. This is a big step up and I am not knocking what has been achieved.

But it will probably take three seasons to adapt and build a squad for this level. We have some good youngsters coming through in the squad, not all will be good enough for this level time will tell.

We need to survive most importantly. Football is a confidence game so I fear a bad start and spend the season trying to catch up.

But the football model has been good under Robins and hope he can build on the foundations he has laid. It might take time so I fear how fickle some of our fans can be.

shmmeee

Slow start, it’s a Robins season. Will take us until towards the end of October to find our feet I reckon. Just about not dropping too many points before that. I suspect we won’t finish our transfer business until October.

Tommo1993

One thing is for certain. I'll be avoiding match threads as we will be losing more games than we have been used to the last couple of years.

Was literally about to post something along those lines. There’ll certainly be a stark contrast, been more or less spoiled the last 3 seasons.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

One thing is for certain. I'll be avoiding match threads as we will be losing more games than we have been used to the last couple of years.

You only sing when we're winning, sing when we're winning.

giphy.gif

Mucca Mad Boys

We’ve got a few things going for us:
- feel good factor at the club (despite the RICOH business)
- a lot of players will feel fresher after the long lay off
- we’ve got a settled team and system

We definitely need to improve in some areas, and I can’t imagine our business is completed yet. I think the match fitness may be an issue early on (potentially), but the short turn around will negatively impact the other teams in the league. After all, there’s a reason we have a preseason in the first place.

We’ve got a settled core of players, with a real togetherness in the squad, this will help out over the course of the season.

It’s gonna be a tough season, but I’m quietly confident we’ll survive. The bookies having us above a few teams is a token good sign.

SAJ

Bournemouth had a £30m wage bill - they also took Callum Wilson from us, would be like us having the budget to sign Ivan Toney now
Can’t believe Bournemouth had a wage budget of £30 million in 2013/14, the season after they were promoted from league 1. The average championship budget in the 2015/16 season was £23 million which was the season after they got promoted.

SlowerThanPlatt

Can’t believe Bournemouth had a wage budget of £30 million in 2013/14, the season after they were promoted from league 1. The average championship budget in the 2015/16 season was £23 million which was the season after they got promoted.

£17m 2013/14 AFC Bournemouth post £10.3m loss for 2013-14

£30.4m 2014/15

shmmeee

We need to afford a wage bill over £20m if we’re going to compete in this division. I don’t see how that happens even with a new ground TBH. But I’m not a finance expert.

clint van damme

We need to afford a wage bill over £20m if we’re going to compete in this division. I don’t see how that happens even with a new ground TBH. But I’m not a finance expert.

Wilder got Sheff Utd up with a net spend of 8 million apparently but it would be interesting to know what their wage bill was.

Saddlebrains

Il get called a pessimist for this but for me as it stands we wont stay up. You've got to look at ins and outs and for me we're weaker.

Giles in for mccallum
Hamer in for walsh (looks promising though)
Hillsner for Westbrooke
Dacosta out for ages.

We get a decent CDM, CB and a striker or 2 id say between 14-18 final position and relative comfort

I will be massively suprised if we arent 22nd with Wednesday and Wycombe the only ones below us after 10 games.

BackRoomRummermill

Il get called a pessimist for this but for me as it stands we wont stay up. You've got to look at ins and outs and for me we're weaker.

Giles in for mccallum
Hillsner for Westbrooke
Dacosta out for ages.

We get a decent CDM, CB and a striker or 2 id say between 14-18 final position and relative comfort

I will be massively suprised if we arent 22nd with Wednesday and Wycombe the only ones below us after 10 games.

pessimist lol

Colin Steins Smile

On the basis of previous seasons we will have a steady start with more draws than some would like to see, then build into the season. MR has a track record with us of having a stronger second half to the season, so I'm hoping the critics remember that in the early parts of the season.
Secondly, I know some fans are hoping for some more points deductions for other teams. I'm not so sure, but I expect only a 4 point deduction for Derby, due to a technical breach rather than something more extreme.

Monty

They’re really not but with our current squad I think we’d get bullied. Someone on here made a point that’s ringing in my ears...at the moment, with the loss of Walsh/McCallum, we’re possibly worse than last year.
I know we’re still pretty good but it’s a big step up.

I appreciate what you are saying, but Mason started the season at left back last year and Hamer replaces Walsh. The concern is how long Hamer will take to adapt to English football, and the losses of Dabo and Rose to individually, as someone has said we need them fit and functioning as soon as possible but cannot rush them back.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Slow start, it’s a Robins season. Will take us until towards the end of October to find our feet I reckon. Just about not dropping too many points before that. I suspect we won’t finish our transfer business until October.

Yep. MR has in the past had a tendency to start a season with his striker and two wide attackers which has then later been forced into being changed due to injury which led to an upturn in form. This year we seem to be sticking to what work last year but injuries are making that difficult at the moment.

A lot of promoted sides rely on starting well due to pure adrenaline or teams underestimate them and have yet to suss them out with scouting to keep their heads above water. Then they fall away later on. We tend to be the opposite and with the Championship season ending later it may work for us later on as their players flag from lack of a break. But if we make a slow start the mental effect it has as we go forward will be key. Can't let our heads go down if we do.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Giles in for mccallum
Hillsner for Westbrooke
Dacosta out for ages.

It's hard to argue with that to be honest.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

New grounds can be a double edged sword because it can hamper short term funding for the squad to pay for the building then when you move in you don't have good enough players to play in it.

Users who are viewing this thread