Do you want to discuss boring politics? (18 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

I.N.A.D.E.Q.U.A.T.E - Ruth Perry’s despair in handwritten notes

A heartbreaking story - time to abolish OFSTED and replace with a new system that see HMI’s assigned to schools to drive improvement through collaboration, not narrow minded inspection protocol….
Such a sad story. I think Ofsted grading should be abolished. Similar to the CQC it came from the idea that people using services are liable to behave like consumers. Waste of money which would be better spent elsewhere.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

I’m the article?
The one from Amanda Spelman shows little introspection.

It feels like Ofsted doesn't actually know what the purpose of inspections is supposed to be, it seems like they are for their own sake.

The local comprehensive here just had its first >3 grade for 20 years, if that doesn't show that inspections and grading is a poor way to raise standards I don't know what does.

shmmeee

I’m the article?

Yeah this bit:

She said: "It's right that we inspect first and foremost in the interests of children, their parents and carers. But in the light of Mrs Perry's sad death, it's also vital that we do all we can to minimise stress and anxiety when we inspect."

Found it incredibly callous. Exactly how have those kids and parents interests been served here? By killing a dedicated and respected head? Not a shred of remorse. I find it abhorrent TBH.

shmmeee

I think people who have been through an Ofsted understand how this came to pass and it’s a feature not a bug. The system is designed to pile as much stress on staff as possible and along with the inflexibility and need for secrecy makes getting help or negotiating virtually impossible.

Just another symptom of the state viewing teachers as disposable TBH.

shmmeee

Anyway onto a lighter topic, can anyone explain why the leader of the opposition in the UK is responsible for the actions of the Israeli government?

PVA

FFS .

It's getting to the stage where I think we need to consider the possibility that someone in government has fallen for an old school email scam?

Can just imagine some Rwandan chancers sending out a few million 'I need money for a flight!' scam emails and getting a single response...from someone in the UK government.

fonejacker_george.jpg

Sky Blue Pete

Yeah this bit:

She said: "It's right that we inspect first and foremost in the interests of children, their parents and carers. But in the light of Mrs Perry's sad death, it's also vital that we do all we can to minimise stress and anxiety when we inspect."

Found it incredibly callous. Exactly how have those kids and parents interests been served here? By killing a dedicated and respected head? Not a shred of remorse. I find it abhorrent TBH.
Yeah first and foremost we recognise the loss yep I see that

shmmeee

Yeah first and foremost we recognise the loss yep I see that

It should be a watershed moment. If that was me I’d be distraught at what my organisation had done and be calling for reform. Instead it comes across more like “yeah I guess we should say things nicer or something, but we were right to be so rigorous”

It’s this attitude from Ofsted that kids are best served by being cunts to teachers. Like teachers arent also trying to serve families and students. That whole attitude in both Ofsted and the govt at the moment seeps through. It says “teacher are lazy fuckers and if we don’t kick them then children will be let down!” Mixed in with a bit of jobsworthness that means if an HR doc is missing years of hard work making kids lives better is for naught. I was at a school that got inadequate once. It was entirely down to attendance. Everything else was great. Attendance was low because we took in kids with long term sickness and actually were brilliant at keeping their education going while in an out of hospital. All the inspector saw was “number says no”. It destroyed a fantastic school. Head went. Staff left. Like this school kids and families were happy, who exactly is being served here?

That statement to me just shows that that woman still thinks the right thing happened. Still thinks it’s not a damning statement on the competence of her inspectors that a school went from outstanding to inadequate back to good in half a year.

Ofsted judgements are a total crap shoot. They’re sprung last minute and teachers are expected to drop everything and work 20 hour days for a three days. We end careers (and lives) on these judgements, schools and communities are ripped apart by them. And the worst thing? The best evidence we have suggests that there is nothing objective whatsoever about the distinction between a good school, a requires improvement school and an inadequate school. The most important factor is the inspectors not anything the school does.

I could go on and on about how useless and counterproductive HMI are.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

Disgraceful. A mate of mine used to live a couple of minutes walk away from their fish and chip shop on the Narborough Road. They must have paid a fair whack in tax over their lives.

CCFCSteve

Just ridiculous. Even more so if it’s correct that it all stems from an email that went into spam - still find that part hard to believe as surely they’d have to correspond by post for something official ? I suppose it shouldn’t surprise me though, I remember John Reid saying the home office was not fit for purpose in labours days and it hasn’t improved since. Shambles

stupot07

It's remarkable that the only two people/witnesses in the COVID inquiry to have "lost" WhatsApp messages are Boris Johnson (PM at the time) and Sunak (CX at the time and now PM)....

Funny that.

They also don't remember any of the conversations, meetings, etc where the bad decisions came or something controversial was said, but can remember in detail every conversation about "good" things like the vaccine roll out.

shmmeee

First thing Labour should do is bring in opsec rules for ministers that means they can’t pull this shit. And if they do the “oh I reset my phone” then they’re arrested for destroying evidence.

skybluetony176

I've long thought that, there is a rump of voters they're obsessed with appealing to who are never going to vote for them or might not even matter anyway! Just playing up to those voters delusions.

You do wonder if Starmers ego is working overtime with this and he wants a bigger majority than Boris in 2019 for bragging rights. Apparently they really do despise each other beyond what is the norm between a PM and opposition leader. Desperation to win that dick waving competition might explain it.

clint van damme

It's remarkable that the only two people/witnesses in the COVID inquiry to have "lost" WhatsApp messages are Boris Johnson (PM at the time) and Sunak (CX at the time and now PM)....

Funny that.

They also don't remember any of the conversations, meetings, etc where the bad decisions came or something controversial was said, but can remember in detail every conversation about "good" things like the vaccine roll out.

I've a feeling Sunak is going to be in deep trouble in the next few days.

shmmeee

There is no need to do government by WhatsApp really, the problem just should not exist.

They will though. It’s just a common messaging platform but there needs to be rules somehow to make sure they don’t just delete everything.

In the states the president has a special secure phone, so we not do anything like that ? Is Sunak just rocking a stock iPhone from Carphone Warehouse??

skybluetony176

Funny that.

CCFCSteve

Here's this week's entry for encouraging me not to bother voting

Park the headline and it’s actually an interesting article. There’s definitely some stuff that we should be learning and implementing from other health services. I’ve always thought Labour is the only party that could reform the nhs and it needs to be done alongside increased investment, especially in tech, to avoid shouts of austerity.

‘The government there also launched the Healthy 365 app in 2015 which encourages users to be healthier through exercise and diet control and rewards them with points that can be spent in supermarkets and coffee shops. A national step challenge to encourage people to walk 10,000 steps a day attracted 700,000 Singaporeans to sign up’

Sounds basic and who knows how much it helps but they’re trying to do stuff like that when about 7% of their population is classed as obese..it’s about 26% here (60%+ adults overweight or obese and 33% kids). We’re an aging unhealthy population and unless that changes the nhs will continue to be a money pit unable to keep up with ever increasing demands on its services

shmmeee

Park the headline and it’s actually an interesting article. There’s definitely some stuff that we should be learning and implementing from other health services. I’ve always thought Labour is the only party that could reform the nhs and it needs to be done alongside increased investment, especially in tech, to avoid shouts of austerity.

‘The government there also launched the Healthy 365 app in 2015 which encourages users to be healthier through exercise and diet control and rewards them with points that can be spent in supermarkets and coffee shops. A national step challenge to encourage people to walk 10,000 steps a day attracted 700,000 Singaporeans to sign up’

Sounds basic and who knows how much it helps but they’re trying to do stuff like that when about 7% of their population is classed as obese..it’s about 26% here (60%+ adults overweight or obese and 33% kids). We’re an aging unhealthy population and unless that changes the nhs will continue to be a money pit unable to keep up with ever increasing demands on its services

I agree (but wasn’t going to say it) I think his messaging is terrible (it’s Streeting so no surprise there), but the overall idea of using tech to improve patient experience I’m fully on board with.

Problem is it’s Labour who are anti-data generally so I worry they don’t have it in them to do this and would instead start ranting about “tech bros” and “Cambridge Analytica and Peter Thiel”.

PVA

Funny that.

And yet in 5 years time when it comes to writing their memoirs they'll be able to remember every last detail.

It makes me sick to be honest, it's disgusting.

This whole inquiry is a bit of a farce really. These people caused thousands to die through incompetence and negligence and the end result of this inquiry will be 'oh nevermind, boys will be boys, better luck next time lol'

Users who are viewing this thread