Do you want to discuss boring politics? (14 Viewers)

fernandopartridge

Park the headline and it’s actually an interesting article. There’s definitely some stuff that we should be learning and implementing from other health services. I’ve always thought Labour is the only party that could reform the nhs and it needs to be done alongside increased investment, especially in tech, to avoid shouts of austerity.

‘The government there also launched the Healthy 365 app in 2015 which encourages users to be healthier through exercise and diet control and rewards them with points that can be spent in supermarkets and coffee shops. A national step challenge to encourage people to walk 10,000 steps a day attracted 700,000 Singaporeans to sign up’

Sounds basic and who knows how much it helps but they’re trying to do stuff like that when about 7% of their population is classed as obese..it’s about 26% here (60%+ adults overweight or obese and 33% kids). We’re an aging unhealthy population and unless that changes the nhs will continue to be a money pit unable to keep up with ever increasing demands on its services

The thing is that like all politicians they delude themselves to thinking tech is the only answer, that nobody else has thought of it, and that it could be implemented tomorrow. It shows a very poor understanding of the NHS technology environment and the basic infrastructure.

wingy

It's a bit like I mentioned around skipping 5g as a Brexit saving,and then last night I was watching an ad for 6g.

fernandopartridge

NHS England makes available pots of funding that other NHS Trusts or ICBs have to bid for for specific tech, instead of rolling it into funding allocations to providers it creates this burden which then necessarily ends up with business consultants etc involved and different trusts or systems end up losing. Sort these structural design faults out.

See here for an example of how the NHS is still trying to get the basic infrastructure right to support all this wonderful tech never mind the people and processes.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

CCFCSteve

NHS England makes available pots of funding that other NHS Trusts or ICBs have to bid for for specific tech, instead of rolling it into funding allocations to providers it creates this burden which then necessarily ends up with business consultants etc involved and different trusts or systems end up losing. Sort these structural design faults out.

See here for an example of how the NHS is still trying to get the basic infrastructure right to support all this wonderful tech never mind the people and processes.

Not just investment in tech (significant investment in equipment is also required) but certainly there are surely tech improvements and benefits to be had. I’ve had the misfortune of being in A&E a couple of times in recent years. No clarity in terms of what’s happening, likely space in queue, who’s responsible for me etc…I ended up tracking someone down once (after I’d been seen by nurse and doc and put in a random room) and the person had three names inc mine on a scrap of paper. Same visit my bloods were lost (happened twice in three visits). I could point out various other areas where processes are clunky and wasteful as well as making things harder for the patient. That’s just from some personal experiences for me and close family.

Did you read the article out of interest ? I personally think it’s not only wise, but essential, we look at how things are done elsewhere and where we can improve.

Ps obviously I agree that if there’s issues with allocations/funding structures these need sorting. It sounds a mess

shmmeee

Yeah the love access to your data is what sold me. Would have made a world of difference when I was in hospital myself, and when my daughter was, plus managing the kids health as a separated family. Would be huge.

fernandopartridge

Yeah the love access to your data is what sold me. Would have made a world of difference when I was in hospital myself, and when my daughter was, plus managing the kids health as a separated family. Would be huge.
The thing is there isn't one place where your data resides. You'll have a GP paper record, a GP electronic record, records at any hospital you've used, records at any community provider you've used. There isn't any unity of this information. There is no mandatory data sharing between those organisations and the suppliers of the various electronic patient records gatekeep the data stored in them to an extent.

shmmeee

The thing is there isn't one place where your data resides. You'll have a GP paper record, a GP electronic record, records at any hospital you've used, records at any community provider you've used. There isn't any unity of this information. There is no mandatory data sharing between those organisations and the suppliers of the various electronic patient records gatekeep the data stored in them to an extent.

On a wide scale sure. But are you telling me when my daughter was in hospital for brain surgery the information wasn’t in the hospital system?

I’d literally have to wait for “the rounds” to find out basic info like what meds she’d had or what the treatment plan was. The time wasted just grabbing staff was ridiculous. It should all have been available there and then.

NorthernWisdom

Yeah it's a bloody nightmare when they don't talk to one another - every month I get a letter threatening to sue me because I don't have a prepayment prescription... which I do, but for some reason the systems don't tell one another I've changed address and, to add to it, the humans in control seem incapable of changing it just atm!

My Dad will blame Wilson and Benn for going ICL (and consequently Fujitsu as successor) rather than IBM right at the beginning...

shmmeee

Every time someone tried to join things up the data weirdos get involved and grind everything to a halt. Fucking “systems don’t talk to each other” write a bloody connector then.

fernandopartridge

On a wide scale sure. But are you telling me when my daughter was in hospital for brain surgery the information wasn’t in the hospital system?

I’d literally have to wait for “the rounds” to find out basic info like what meds she’d had or what the treatment plan was. The time wasted just grabbing staff was ridiculous. It should all have been available there and then.

Possibly, even when hospitals implement an EPR it doesn't mean to say they digitise all the legacy records. I don't disagree at all just to recognise that it's just nowhere near as simple as implied by people like Wesley.

shmmeee

Possibly, even when hospitals implement an EPR it doesn't mean to say they digitise all the legacy records. I don't disagree at all just to recognise that it's just nowhere near as simple as implied by people like Wesley.

I mean there not easy and there’s spending twenty years and getting literally nowhere.

If it were me I’d just have a cut off, digitise as needed prioritising complex outpatients, and everything after that date is single system digital only. And I’d get a major tech company like MS or Google or Amazon to handle the new system if we aren’t willing to build our own talent, and not fucking Capita or whoever who couldn’t develop their way out of a paper bag.

fernandopartridge

Genuinely, if Rishi can’t remember all that, is he medically fit to lead the country?

If it was Biden people would be screaming dementia and 25th amendment at him. If only we had something similar.
This isn't ideal for Labour coming in, trust in politics must be at an all time low. It's funny that the Tories talk about the sanctity of parliament but they continually bring it into grave disrepute.

PVA

Sunak went full Colonel Oliver North today. Like Boris he’s decided to use the I’m an idiot line of defence.

I think it says a lot when the people running our country have the choice between admitting they're either totally fucking incompetent or painfully thick as their line of defence.

clint van damme

Why did nobody point out that you can change phones 100 times and your WhatsApp messages will still be there.

Didn't he try to go to court to prevent having to hand them over or have I got that wrong?

Strange action to take over something you've lost if true.

shmmeee

Doesn't say much for the abilities of GCHQ if they can't get a few messages

Why do you think they go mental every time someone introduced end to end encrypted messaging, like so:

No agency anywhere has cracked it. Which is why dodgy politicians use it.

CCFCSteve

Not on iPhone, unless it’s been backed up.

Very little chance it wasn’t backed up though. As has been said no government business should’ve been carried out on what’s app in the first place. Get in contact with people to arrange meetings/calls but that’s it

ps as I’ve said before my gut feel is Sunak is hiding personal stuff rather than covid related messages. Edit - but in that case he should’ve been all over the covid detail

CCFCSteve

Genuinely, if Rishi can’t remember all that, is he medically fit to lead the country?

If it was Biden people would be screaming dementia and 25th amendment at him. If only we had something similar.

To be fair Biden can barely remember what happened this morning let alone three years ago. That’s no defence by the way, just not a suitable comparison !

SBT

Could have put this in the Covid thread but it’s more of a polling story tbh. This is a survey about implementing Covid restrictions this month

1702376826572.png

28% of 25-40 year-olds in support of a full lockdown 💪💪💪

fernandopartridge

That really is bizarre. I think the threat of fascism was underplayed by someone on here recently but it does feel like a sizeable chunk of the population would happily work for the modern gestapo.

What have people got against nightclubs?

shmmeee

To be fair Biden can barely remember what happened this morning let alone three years ago. That’s no defence by the way, just not a suitable comparison !

Seriousky though, how is it OK for a PM just to claim they don’t remember anything like a bad mob boss in court and we just go “oh OK then”. He’s shown poor security at best and outright contempt for the law at worst.

Hertsccfc

That really is bizarre. I think the threat of fascism was underplayed by someone on here recently but it does feel like a sizeable chunk of the population would happily work for the modern gestapo.

What have people got against nightclubs?
What I find bizarre is that with what is currently happening in this country you use this to illustrate fascism.

Users who are viewing this thread