Do you want to discuss boring politics? (28 Viewers)

skybluetony176

Andrew Bridgen MP on social media comparing the vaccine rollout to the Holocaust. Wonder if Sunak will be asked about that - would be an….interesting policy position for the Tories to adopt. (I won’t link the post in case someone agrees)

Update: He’s had the whip removed
Was already suspended for a “cavalier attitude towards lobbying”. Maybe he wants to go out with a bang.

skybluetony176

Am I confusing him with someone else or was it Brigden who sued his brother (and lost) over the family business after his parents died only to be described by the judge as a liar?

Brighton Sky Blue

Does the ignorant c**t not realise that trade unionists actually contributed to the team of communism in Poland?

That clown and his government behave more akin to the communist government of the USSR, the right to strike was banned there too.
Yes even that well known left winger Ronald Reagan defended the rights of workers to a free union and collective bargaining. Gullis apparently taught history, he should know

dutchman

Yes even that well known left winger Ronald Reagan defended the rights of workers to a free union and collective bargaining.
Hardly:

PVA

So much for the once we leave others will follow argument.

ssx6vrrymqj31.jpg

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

NorthernWisdom

So...

skynews-westminster-accounts_6016901.png

I guess May's is for after dinner speaking, which begs the question how much an interesting person could earn! Wtf is Redwood doing up there? What abilities does he have? Equally, why is Jess Phillips one of only two Labour MPs in the list (I think Lammy's is for a radio show)?

CCFCSteve

Hardly surprising support for leaving has dropped when they're standing there watching the car crash unfold.

Yeah, the shitshow of the last couple of years has hardly been a ringing endorsement for leaving. Most EU countries benefitted from the joined up approach on covid (although some were held back as discussed previously) and with the ongoing war as well most will consider safety in numbers, especially those not in Nato

A lot of people on the continent still believe the EU is heading in the wrong direction and I don’t see a closer political union holding together long term, but then again I’ve thought certain things may have broken it to date but haven’t, so could be wrong

CCFCSteve

So...

I guess May's is for after dinner speaking, which begs the question how much an interesting person could earn! Wtf is Redwood doing up there? What abilities does he have? Equally, why is Jess Phillips one of only two Labour MPs in the list (I think Lammy's is for a radio show)?

I’ve never had an issue with second jobs as long as they don’t impact the ability for a MP to do their jobs and the employer isn’t expecting influence in exchange for salary. Many of those Tory salaries especially on the left of the list (May speaking aside) suggest otherwise. Geoffrey Cox (who I used to quite like) has been working abroad as a barrister by all accounts…how thats possible whilst supposedly serving your constituents I’ll never know

Yeah, Lammys on LBC.

ps who’s paying Grayling 😬

shmmeee

So...

Her book?

skybluetony176

So...

Pretty sure I read somewhere Redwood gets paid a shitload by pro fossil fuel lobbyists for “consultancy” work.

NorthernWisdom

PVA

So...

As others have said a good chunk of Phillips' was her book at 65k.

Plus HIGNFY appearance fees.

Grendel

Isn’t she on GB News or Talk TV? Sure I’ve seen clips on twitter of her being as good at presenting as you’d expect

She writes books - she’s done 5 apparently

duffer

I’ve never had an issue with second jobs as long as they don’t impact the ability for a MP to do their jobs and the employer isn’t expecting influence in exchange for salary. Many of those Tory salaries especially on the left of the list (May speaking aside) suggest otherwise. Geoffrey Cox (who I used to quite like) has been working abroad as a barrister by all accounts…how thats possible whilst supposedly serving your constituents I’ll never know

Yeah, Lammys on LBC.

ps who’s paying Grayling 😬

How can it not impact your job, seriously?

Being an MP is arguably the most important role in the country. You're representing tens of thousands of constituents and providing leadership and governance for the entire country.

If you've got time for a second job then you're not taking it seriously enough.

There are also absolutely obvious questions about undue influence either directly from your employer or the general area that provides you with another income (e.g. finance, energy, media).

Politely, I think we disagree on this one mate.

NorthernWisdom

How can it not impact your job, seriously?

Being an MP is arguably the most important role in the country. You're representing tens of thousands of constituents and providing leadership and governance for the entire country.

If you've got time for a second job then you're not taking it seriously enough.

There are also absolutely obvious questions about undue influence either directly from your employer or the general area that provides you with another income (e.g. finance, energy, media).

Politely, I think we disagree on this one mate.
tbf some of them (the book writers!) can probably do that in their spare time. Ditto, a radio or TV show is arguably getting your message out to more of the people, and increases engagement, so is arguably helpful for an MP, with the attendant risk it also pops you into a bubble.

Senior roles in financial institutions less so, however...

Nick

Administrator
How do thick as fuck people get into the position of making over £100k with a side hustle?

Asking for a friend (me).

Users who are viewing this thread