Do you want to discuss boring politics? (23 Viewers)

clint van damme

I've already said they don't..People's problems with labour are not about policies ...labour and it's followers are about as likeable as a fart in a bottle of water

And again whats likable about the tories?
Its ok saying why you don't like Labour but that doesn't explain why people turn to the tories.

There are some of the most repugnant fuckers you could ever come across in the tories.

Evo1883

We probably agree on an awful lot, I’m just having a post work rant at the world because the average British voter makes less sense to me than the average woman and you’re the idiot who keeps replying :p

I keep replying because you've been talking down to me and I don't appreciate it if I'm being honest

Evo1883

And again whats likable about the tories?
Its ok saying why you don't like Labour but that doesn't explain why people turn to the tories.

There are some of the most repugnant fuckers you could ever come across in the tories.

I don't know mate tbh

shmmeee

I keep replying because you've been talking down to me and I don't appreciate it if I'm being honest

Sorry it’s genuinely not personal, and I don’t mean to talk down to you, I respect you a lot. You just became the avatar for all I don’t get that frustrates me about the political dialogue here. As I say it’s always Labour having to be perfect and never the other way.

Evo1883

Sorry it’s genuinely not personal, and I don’t mean to talk down to you, I respect you a lot. You just became the avatar for all I don’t get that frustrates me about the political dialogue here. As I say it’s always Labour having to be perfect and never the other way.
Likewise , I hold my tongue for the very same reason , respect

Philosorapter

I think we are definitely going to need a Coventry local election thread.

Imagine the fun :D

Philosorapter

We can look back over newspapers articles from the last 4-5 years and guess if the councillor is Labour or Tory :D

Philosorapter

To be honest, I don't know about others, but I have minimal interest in it.

That's the thing though. Ask what separates Labour from the Tory in Coventry and you will find we are voting for managers instead of ideologies.

It's why the turnout has plummeted in the city. Completely lost the working vote.

Ian1779

I've already said they don't..People's problems with labour are not about policies ...labour and it's followers are about as likeable as a fart in a bottle of water
To be honest if that’s where we are at in politics we may as well just move straight to a China style one-party state. It’s about making peoples lives better, not the X Factor.

Evo1883

To be honest if that’s where we are at in politics we may as well just move straight to a China style one-party state. It’s about making peoples lives better, not the X Factor.
If people aren't voting for their policies , then you have to look at why they aren't voting for you and that's the MPs , and arguably the supporters too .

They've rubbed normal working class people up the wrong way for a good while now

And yes I know the Tories are shit .

And yes il vote Labour too

This is my last input on any off topic subject too ..because I can't be bothered .

D

Deleted member 4439

Nationalism, populism, jingoism

All things a big chunk of the working class seem to value over improving public services and quality of life.

Jingoism, I feel not. Nationalism, populism, yes but probably no more in this than Labour's use of the same. Britain has always been a small c-conservative nation of people, equally at home with individualistic as well as collectivist policies that speak to stability, family, prosperity. The nearest Labour came to this was the Blair governments.

Wouldn't it be more constructive to ask why people have turned away from Labour rather than simply view Labour as the victim of a population's ignorance and intelligence?

Last edited by a moderator:

PVA

Jingoism, I feel not. Nationalism, populism, yes but probably no more in this than Labour's use of the same. Britain has always been a small c-conservative nation of people, equally at home with individualistic as well as collective policies that speak to stability, family, prosperity. The nearest Labour came to this was the Blair governments.

Wouldn't it be more constructive to ask why people have turned away from Labour rather than simply view Labour as the victim of a population's ignorance and intelligence?

Definitely jingoism too...

Definition of jingoism

: extreme chauvinism or nationalism marked especially by a belligerent foreign policy

D

Deleted member 4439

And what particular terms are they?

I believe most people view jingo-ism as a belligerent and aggressive form of nationalism, you know, a bit like a Labour government joining in a certain shock and awe campaign, or Thatcher standing on the steps of No 10 saying 'Rejoice'. Or maybe it's victimised Labour supporters thinking that they are holders of a truth that they must take to an ignorant and stupid population.

PVA

I believe most people view jingo-ism as a belligerent and aggressive form of nationalism, you know, a bit like a Labour government joining in a certain shock and awe campaign, or Thatcher standing on the steps of No 10 saying 'Rejoice'. Or maybe it's victimised Labour supporters thinking that they are holders of a truth that they must take to an ignorant and stupid population.

Yes, a belligerent form of Nationalism. So we agree.

The examples you give are perfectly valid. This government is also jingoistic.

It doesn't literally have to involve war for something to be jingoistic.

Last edited:

PVA

Just pathetic.

The question was:

'how do the tories appeal to the working class?'

I answered.

You then said it would be good to ask why people are turning away from Labour which is a perfectly valid question, but not the one I was answering.

just don't think you know what jingoism means. Is breaking international law not belligerent enough for you?

Edit: you've deleted your post

D

Deleted member 4439

The question was:

'how do the tories appeal to the working class?'

I answered.

You then said it would be good to ask why people are turning away from Labour which is a perfectly valid question, but not the one I was answering.

just don't think you know what jingoism means. Is breaking international law not belligerent enough for you?

Edit: you've deleted your post

I really cannot be bothered to engage in a discussion about the definition of jingoism and its use by the parties when it was not the central point chap.

You tire me. Tell you what, you post a response to show that you've had the last say and so have successfully educated the masses.

PVA

I really cannot be bothered to engage in a discussion about the definition of jingoism and its use by the parties when it was not the central point chap.

You tire me. Tell you what, you post a response to show that you've had the last say and so have successfully educated the masses.

I'm not trying to have the last say or to 'educate the masses'. I never said that. that's just what you seem to think I want.

I answered a question, you responded fairly... But then added some narrative about Labour at the end of it which wasn't really relevant and changed the definition of Jingoism to suit.

FWIW, I am not a Labour supporter. I am just vehemently anti this appalling and abhorrent government.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Seems like Hartlepool will also go Tory just because, well, why not. Send a whole region to the doldrums for decades and get rewarded because some guy in a clown costume told some jokes while hiding in a fridge.

shmmeee

Seems like Hartlepool will also go Tory just because, well, why not. Send a whole region to the doldrums for decades and get rewarded because some guy in a clown costume told some jokes while hiding in a fridge.

Hey now! Labour are just as bad because something something Toby Blair and despite all the corruption death and poverty the Tories are great and just love this country. And I know exactly what I voted for DONT YOU DARE CALL ME STUPID AND NO I CAN’T JUSTIFY MY VOTING DECISIONS STOP ASKING ME!!!!1!1!1!

shmmeee

When I attended XR meetings for a few weeks I used to arrive in my SUV. No one said anything but if looks could kill 😂😂

Grendel

Grendel

I just don't like them. Guess it means the style of cars I do like will be cheaper(!)

They were only 10% of the market a few years ago and now are 40% - lifestyle wise they are a much better family option - I’m waiting for my diesel guzzler to arrive soon. 👍

Brighton Sky Blue

Hey now! Labour are just as bad because something something Toby Blair and despite all the corruption death and poverty the Tories are great and just love this country. And I know exactly what I voted for DONT YOU DARE CALL ME STUPID AND NO I CAN’T JUSTIFY MY VOTING DECISIONS STOP ASKING ME!!!!1!1!1!

The Union’s collapsing, vaccine supplies quietly dropping, 130,000 dead, the North East was sent into deep economic ruin by us and Brexit will make it worse BUT

We can get Boris to throw a pie in Starmer’s face while holding a pint.

shmmeee

They were only 10% of the market a few years ago and now are 40% - lifestyle wise they are a much better family option - I’m waiting for my diesel guzzler to arrive soon. 👍

Yeah I loved my SUV. Great for a family. Seems a bit weird to go on about this when all petrol only cars will be banned soon. I’d rather campaigners focused on important stuff like improving housing stock and decarbonising industry, transport has a clear plan and route to net zero.

D

Deleted member 4439

Yeah I loved my SUV. Great for a family. Seems a bit weird to go on about this when all petrol only cars will be banned soon. I’d rather campaigners focused on important stuff like improving housing stock and decarbonising industry, transport has a clear plan and route to net zero.

An SUV is an SUV. In terms of its production and running it will still produce more carbon emissions than a 'standard' car, electric or not.

jimmyhillsfanclub

To be fair, whilst pollution is a concern, my primary gripe is the monstrous size of some of these used around the cities & towns for schools runs, popping to the gym or shop etc....usually driven by a tiny woman peering over the steering wheel, some SAS Ant Middleton alpha male wannabee or a chubby old boomer who is still under the rather dated impression that renting a 4x4 is somehow still a status symbol.
All 3 types are also, more often than not, piss poor, selfish & inconsiderate drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread