Do you want to discuss boring politics? (23 Viewers)

rob9872

It’s utterly batshit bollocks… only a complete fucking imbecile would link the two things together.
I agree, it's similar to those suggesting unrelated issues are a convenient distraction for Boris 😉

rob9872

In Victorian times when most people had nothing they were far more valuable.

rob9872

Not surprising with the fuel crisis and if you support public sector increases then it will add to the problem.

rob9872

I haven't had an inflation matching pay rise for years, but inflation has still gone up
Yes, but the inflation currently is beyond control based on what's happening in Ukraine forcing everything up on the back of a lengthy furlough period protecting jobs. There is no magic nony tree, but surely if you're unhappy with your pay increases, youu could change jobs - I know from trying to recruit that it's certainly an employee's market out there at present.

NorthernWisdom

Yes, but the inflation currently is beyond control based on what's happening in Ukraine forcing everything up on the back of a lengthy furlough period protecting jobs. There is no magic nony tree, but surely if you're unhappy with your pay increases, youu could change jobs - I know from trying to recruit that it's certainly an employee's market out there at present.
What are you recruiting for, and how much do you pay?

rob9872

Maybe MPs should have set an example and not accepted theirs
Well you don't like the current crop, so we need the salaries to represent what an important job they do and ensure it's attractive enough to encourage the next batch to aspire.

SBAndy

Will putting the wages of public sector workers up change the availability of cooking oil?

rob9872

What are you recruiting for, and how much do you pay?
Customer service, £22-£24k (part time pro rata considered) and a pitiful response tbh. I've just appointed again for a role and hoping not to get gazumped as others have found out here recently.

clint van damme

Well you don't like the current crop, so we need the salaries to represent what an important job they do and ensure it's attractive enough to encourage the next batch to aspire.

Taking regular pay rises while public sector workers have had pay freezes isn't a good look.

And I doubt the current crop of fuck wits is anything to do with the salary being too low in many cases

SBAndy

The thesis behind increased wages leading to increased inflation is centred around one thing: profit margin. If companies were willing to take the hit on their margin then it wouldn’t be an issue. The fact they feel the need to put prices up and restore their margin shows the general greed.

And no, I’m not saying that every business can limit their margins but fuck me, if a rail network which is Government-subsidised can’t then what hope is there?

Grendel

Maybe MPs should have set an example and not accepted theirs

Perhaps the solution is to have an independent pay review for public bodies and the employee and unions agree to accept the outcome whatever it is

CCFCSteve

Based on what?
I think it's fare to say this government has scant regard for public safety.

It’s obviously an assumption but based on human nature and the fact that every interview discussing the strike those supporting it (Lynch etc) have focussed on pay and the cost of living crisis. I then asked myself if the workers were offered an 8-10% pay rise would they be striking. I doubt it

As I’ve said it’s each to their own if they support the strike, I can see both sides of the argument. The offer of 2% plus an extra couple of 0.5% rises with tie ins felt derisory under the current climate and so I can understand why they are striking, even if I don’t necessarily agree with strikes (except if there were dangerous working conditions).

There should hopefully be a happy medium of say 6-7% pay rise (maybe even a bit more for lowest paid ie sub national average) with some agreement on efficiency savings to try to minimise increased cost/burden on customers

Users who are viewing this thread