Do you want to discuss boring politics? (29 Viewers)

Philosorapter

I would answer but I am too busy spanking someone's ass in a game to reply at the moment.

shmmeee

Another ad hominem.

Yeah I’m calling you names, well done. Doesn’t change my point though, both of you constantly post gotchas of things both sides do. Don’t like stupidity and racism of Claudia Webb, fine with stupidity and racism of Tories. Don’t like expenses scandals of Labour MPs, fine with bigger expenses scandals of Tories. Don’t like the condescending attitudes of Labour, fine with being called feckless layabouts by the Tories.

It’s pure emotion and I think Evo is spot on with his analysis that fundamentally people choose a side based on gut and IMO the rest is justification.

The overall picture doesn’t change. Either you’re left wing or right. Either you believe in spreading wealth around more evenly or concentrating it more. Everything else is celebrity tittle tattle quite frankly.

A wider, less personally offensive cos I’ve woken up with less sleep than I wanted take is that social media bubbles feed this. If you hate corruption you can find stories about Tory MPs all day, or you can find stories about Len McClusky or whatever all day. Hate hypocrites? Politics is full of them. I saw a thing the other day about how people think the big stories are the ones they read about on social media and that’s why both sides get all up in arms about the BBC not covering things they deem important. People creating their own reality to fit their assumptions.

As with Evo the other day, I’m being a cock, but it does genuinely interest me these psychological quirks and I’m not saying I’m immune by any stretch.

Last edited:

Evo1883

Tell us more about this;

You are saying Coventry Labour has introduced zero-hour contracts for some of their agency staff?
Yes , we've just recently been on guaranteed hours pay and it's changed

Not saying anymore, although it's shit I still want the job and I don't want to lose it

Don't know who dwells on here

Last edited:

SBAndy

For the record if anyone is remotely interested I was born in Hillfields from very working class parents and my father died when I was young

I lived in a council house. I was the one person amongst my circle of friends who decided I’m going to university.

When I left there was record unemployment. I hooked ul
With a company and said I’d work for nothing as work experience as I knew they’d then employ me.

I was the only graduate in a very hourly paid environment in Jaguar and I was ridiculed every day

Didn’t care as I knew I’d do better and then got employed as a bottom grade analyst in marketing. Then I said I’d work any hours they wanted me to work - often I’d go in at 7 am and leave at 10 pm

I got 3 promotions in 4 years and then privately educated all my children.

I honestly think a Thatcher society provided a work and succeed attitude and if I’d been in a Kinnock led government i would be as angry as many on here

And fair play to you for this. I just wonder whether you’d have the same opinion if you had put the work in and not secured promotions off the back of it - would you have put this down to your own failings or would you think “I’ve been taken for a ride here”? Rhetorical question, not expecting an answer but intriguing as a bit of a ‘sliding doors’ moment.

SBAndy

Yes , we've just recently been on guaranteed hours pay and it's changed

Not saying anymore, although it's shit I still want the job and I don't want to lose it

Don't know who dwells on here

Doesn’t surprise me knowing the state of most local authorities budgets. Having said that, councils do operate in a bit of a peculiar bubble - Nuneaton’s Labour council cut funding for various social projects (including one I have a vested interest in, totalling £7k) but kept the mayor’s car and driver in the budget at a cost of £22k (I think).

PVA

Ah yes Mr Cruddas the ultimate leftie who mysteriously managed to fund through parliamentary expenses a second home in Notting Hill so he could send his children to one of the most successful state schools (faith school though as he’s clearly very Roman Catholic) in the country

Classic.

Any hint of dodgy dealings by Labour and it's an absolute disgrace, yet the actual government can get away with brazen corruption to the tune of billions and people like Grendel don't bat an eyelid. Absolutely pathetic.

And we all know the reason the Tories are so popular with the working class these days. It's immigration/Brexit. We all know it.

Grendel

And fair play to you for this. I just wonder whether you’d have the same opinion if you had put the work in and not secured promotions off the back of it - would you have put this down to your own failings or would you think “I’ve been taken for a ride here”? Rhetorical question, not expecting an answer but intriguing as a bit of a ‘sliding doors’ moment.

Who knows? Possibly as I say there’s a large slice of luck - there always is

I know a fair few people from very average beginnings who’ve significantly enhanced their “status” - a couple who are practically in the millionaire bracket who’ve got zero qualifications but a high ethic to achieve

Really what I’m trying to do is explain why people don’t vote for a party like Labour. It’s a dinosaur concept. A lot of people will ask the question as to how is this party going to make me get out of drudgery and into the middle classes - it is a concept politically that lacks ambition and is jaded

I don’t think forums like this work for political discussion. If you believe this thread you assume most people would vote labour - that’s clearly not true it’s just most people can’t be bothered to enter a discussion - especially those on the “winning” side

The constant undertone that working class people who vote Tory are thick and I’m really clever so you listen to me isn’t a great sales Pitch either

Mucca Mad Boys

I know a fair few people from very average beginnings who’ve significantly enhanced their “status” - a couple who are practically in the millionaire bracket who’ve got zero qualifications but a high ethic to achieve

Really what I’m trying to do is explain why people don’t vote for a party like Labour. It’s a dinosaur concept. A lot of people will ask the question as to how is this party going to make me get out of drudgery and into the middle classes - it is a concept politically that lacks ambition and is jaded

I don’t think forums like this work for political discussion. If you believe this thread you assume most people would vote labour - that’s clearly not true it’s just most people can’t be bothered to enter a discussion - especially those on the “winning” side

The constant undertone that working class people who vote Tory are thick and I’m really clever so you listen to me isn’t a great sales Pitch either

Society has changed fundamentally from the 80s when there was a sizeable industrial working class to speak of and the Labour Party hasn’t adapted well to this since 2005. I think the Gordon Brown ‘bigoted’ comment is probably the key starting point when Labour Party began its disconnect with its core voters.

Generally, left wing parties have moved away from class based politics, adopt more and more fringe issues of ‘marginalised peoples’. It’s a bit disingenuous to claim Labour as a ‘true’ working class party anymore. Just take a look at it’s typically middle class, university educated representatives who have never had a ‘working class’ job in their life.

I play rugby with quite a few ex-lifelong Labour voters who absolutely would not vote for the party after Corbyn.

Which exposes some fundamental issues with the Labour Party because they’re haemorrhaging votes everywhere. They’ve lost Scotland, the Red Wall and their vote share in Wales is declining.

The issue is not the electorate, it’s the party.

Ian1779

If Brexit had been totally resolved before 2019 there was no way the Tories would have an 80 seat majority. They would have been the largest party still, and may have gotten a very small majority on their own.

Brighton Sky Blue

Equally G there are many more who work extremely hard and get nowhere. Or as is the case must then ask for handouts at a food bank which seems to be a 2010+ phenomenon unless I’m mistaken. Employment today is less secure and more temporary than it was in the past and a full time job does not offer the financial security it used to, so what is the answer?

Most of my friends are lifelong Tory voters. One is an Asian lad who in seriousness says he would favour immigration policies that keep people like him out of the country. Others vote for them in the belief they’ll get lower taxes despite recognising that the party gives bigger breaks to people much wealthier than them. I don’t really know what you’re meant to say in reply to oxymoronic voters like that.

In any case with the impending collapse of the Union there’ll soon be a place to go more in line with the values I prefer

Mucca Mad Boys

If Brexit had been totally resolved before 2019 there was no way the Tories would have an 80 seat majority. They would have been the largest party still, and may have gotten a very small majority on their own.

With hindsight, losing Stoke-On-Trent Central and Mansfield was a warning shot to the Labour Party in 2017. Two Labour strongholds since the 1920-30s flipped to Conservative.

Brexit sped up a process that has been happening since around 2005.

Grendel

Equally G there are many more who work extremely hard and get nowhere. Or as is the case must then ask for handouts at a food bank which seems to be a 2010+ phenomenon unless I’m mistaken. Employment today is less secure and more temporary than it was in the past and a full time job does not offer the financial security it used to, so what is the answer?

Most of my friends are lifelong Tory voters. One is an Asian lad who in seriousness says he would favour immigration policies that keep people like him out of the country. Others vote for them in the belief they’ll get lower taxes despite recognising that the party gives bigger breaks to people much wealthier than them. I don’t really know what you’re meant to say in reply to oxymoronic voters like that.

In any case with the impending collapse of the Union there’ll soon be a place to go more in line with the values I prefer

There won’t be a collapse of the Union - prepare for more disappointing times

Brighton Sky Blue

With hindsight, losing Stoke-On-Trent Central and Mansfield was a warning shot to the Labour Party in 2017. Two Labour strongholds since the 1920-30s flipped to Conservative.

County Durham seats going Tory would have my grandad spinning in his grave if he hadn’t been cremated

Grendel

If Labour lose Hartlepool Ian will still blame Brexit

Ian1779

If Labour lose Hartlepool Ian will still blame Brexit
If Labour lose Hartlepool it won’t be because ‘of’ Brexit. It’ll be parachuting in a staunch remainer that was all over the PV policy with no connect to the area whatsoever.

Ian1779

That’s a fair comment, so why was the general decline in ‘red wall’ seats that had been happening over the last 25 years start to reverse in 2017?

Mucca Mad Boys

That’s a fair comment, so why was the general decline in ‘red wall’ seats that had been happening over the last 25 years start to reverse in 2017?

Collapse of third party support. This buoyed both the Tories and Labour as they polled above 40% for the first time since the 1970/80s. Brexit nullified UKIPs raison d’être and Lib Democrats were (and still are) a complete non-factor in most constituencies.

Until the Lib Dems become a substantial force in UK politics in terms of vote share, the Tories will be in power because they have won a majority in England in virtually every UK general election. Which is why it baffles me Labour has left the SNP in Scotland unchecked because unless they can muster 15-20 Scottish seats, there’s virtually no hope for a Labour majority government. Pre-2015, they could reliably expect 40 Scottish MPs.

Mucca Mad Boys

Irish unity and Scottish independence before the decade is up, at least one of them if not both.

Brexit, ironically, has made the case for Scottish independence even harder. A hard border with England as they join the EU?

Irish unity is a likelihood even without Brexit as the long term demographics trends toward catholics which mostly favours the Republican cause.

Brighton Sky Blue

PVA

Weird isn't it?

They seem to get off on it, it is weird you're right

tory-voter.jpg

clint van damme

And here we are again. Rather than ask why Labour fail time and time again, it's all the fault of the electorate, the bunch of stupid, racist wankers.

Have you read the thread?
I've posted several times saying I accept the criticism of Labour, as have others, but what we've asked is whatis the attraction for the working class of voting tory?

NorthernWisdom

Possibly as I say there’s a large slice of luck - there always is
There is a certain luck involved, but then I have no real issue with people who've worked for it, earning their rewards - a friend of mine earns vastly more than me but, given the hours he puts in, I'm not surprised. People gaining money through hard work is somewhat different as well, then people being born into a life of privilege and seeking to ensure they keep that advantage. The Majors, and even Thatchers of this world, I can admire on a personal level for how they made something of themselves, even if I despise the politics. It's harder with some of the others however... and is an interesting cultural shift as well - there was a time that, although slightly patronising, the Tory grandees of the '50s and '60s felt it was their duty to govern and yes, even support people in their own way - I see less and less of the supporting now - it's demonising, and playing on fears. That's irresponsible.

But, it's as much supporting those who aren't so lucky, isn't it? Doing your best to lift them up, too?
Corbyn did run a good campaign in 2017. The next election... not so good a campaign.

As mentioned, you really need a Lib-Lab pact. Politics does shift quickly though - Ashdown and Blair were all ready to set one up, but then the Tories were obliterated, so Labour didn't need to. That was, however, maybe the opportunity to go in for the kill and finish off the Tories.

D

Deleted member 4439

Have you read the thread?
I've posted several times saying I accept the criticism of Labour, as have others, but what we've asked is whatis the attraction for the working class of voting tory?

And the answer that appears to have been concluded is, the tory voting working class are a bunch of stupid, racist wankers.

clint van damme

And the answer that appears to have been concluded is, the tory voting working class are a bunch of stupid, racist wankers.

Can't you answer the question?
Labour does not appeal to the working class snymore, but why do they vote tory?

Evo1883

Can't you answer the question?
Labour does not appeal to the working class snymore, but why do they vote tory?
Because they don't want to vote for identity politics , they don't want to vote for the people that keep telling them how bad they are and how privileged they are , they don't want to align themselves with all the middle class activists on social media that call them bigoted Gammon flag shaggers day in day out ...

You keep asking but it's already been said ..

Don't upset the people whose votes you need to win

Most people I know cant stand Labour and many of them used to vote for them religiously

Users who are viewing this thread