Do you want to discuss boring politics? (15 Viewers)

Grendel

PVA

Is this some kind of shit MP Top Trumps? You do realise by having a pack full of Tories you’re going to get absolutely whooped? 😂

I don't get what the thought process is.

It's OK for Tories to do shit things because here's a Labour MP doing a shit thing?

Two wrongs make a right?

It's OK to be a c**t because somewhere someone in the past has also been a c**t?

Grendel

Is this some kind of shit MP Top Trumps? You do realise by having a pack full of Tories you’re going to get absolutely whooped? 😂

No I’m showing people who’ve committed worse - no criminal offence - as you consider yourself morally superior have you expressed disgust at these people - if not why not? Not a good look from a moral perspective - I don’t claim moral superiority from the Tories but I’m not throwing stones at very fragile glass houses

Ian1779

No I’m showing people who’ve committed worse - no criminal offence - as you consider yourself morally superior have you expressed disgust at these people - if not why not? Not a good look from a moral perspective - I don’t claim moral superiority from the Tories but I’m not throwing stones at very fragile glass houses
Didn’t see you posting your disgust at the antics of Charlie Elphicke did we?

But then whataboutery is your default line.

CCFCSteve

BBC News - Budget 2021: Tax rises likely to leave middle earners worse off, says IFS

Cheap champagne and internal flights though. This government don't give a shit how ridiculous they are.

In terms of booze, that’s how some will try to present it but it’s a bit more complex than that faz. I think most normal people will benefit from the simplification (pub chain shares and comments from the industry reflect that)

Internal flights is a strange one. On an environmental basis I think they should be encouraging other forms of UK transport so don’t get the thinking other than maybe arguing theyre trying to encourage more uk wide business/travel...I’ve not heard justification but it doesn’t really sit right with me. The whole class/rich people argument doesn’t work though as for long hauls, which you’d argue are used more regularly by wealthier people, the duties are going up.

Ps I always expected to be paying more tax after the pandemic. I think most people did. If it’s being spent in the right way I’ve not got a problem with that...will hold my judgement on that until I’ve read the detail

Skybluefaz

In terms of booze, that’s how some will try to present it but it’s a bit more complex than that faz. I think most normal people will benefit from the simplification (pub chain shares and comments from the industry reflect that)

Internal flights is a strange one. On an environmental basis I think they should be encouraging other forms of UK transport so don’t get the thinking other than maybe arguing theyre trying to encourage more uk wide business/travel...I’ve not heard justification but it doesn’t really sit right with me. The whole class/rich people argument doesn’t work though as for long hauls, which you’d argue are used more regularly by wealthier people, the duties are going up.

Ps I always expected to be paying more tax after the pandemic. I think most people did. If it’s being spent in the right way I’ve not got a problem with that...will hold my judgement on that until I’ve read the detail
I appreciate that mate, from a personal perspective I'm feeling the squeeze to the extent that I'm being forced to look for another job or actually I am going to try working for myself. I know it might be coincidence but it seems pretty tone deaf.

skybluetony176

Apparently the effects of brexit are twice as damaging to the economy than the pandemic so in reality you’re more likely to be paying more tax to cover the effects of brexit than you are the pandemic. Still no VAT cut on energy bills either, another brexit promise undelivered.

Ian1779

Reactions: PVA

CCFCSteve

I appreciate that mate, from a personal perspective I'm feeling the squeeze to the extent that I'm being forced to look for another job or actually I am going to try working for myself. I know it might be coincidence but it seems pretty tone deaf.

I think it’s going to be a tough few months (or longer) all round mate. Hope you can find a way to reduce the squeeze a bit whichever route you take

Ian1779

I think the internal flights one is mental. Perfect opportunity to encourage more rail use as part of a hybrid working model of the future.

CCFCSteve

Apparently the effects of brexit are twice as damaging to the economy than the pandemic so in reality you’re more likely to be paying more tax to cover the effects of brexit than you are the pandemic. Still no VAT cut on energy bills either, another brexit promise undelivered.

I’ve heard James O’Brien this morning as well Tony ! He’s correct that based on current forecasts GDP will be lower in the long term although I didn’t hear over what period he’s talking about as it relates to permanent scaring. ONS has reduced Covid permanent scarring forecast from 3% down in March to 2% now, some think it might end up as low as 1%. So basically things can change, who knows when talking about permanent/long term

Typically he’s being disingenuous with how he’s positioning the questioning. Saying if people question ONS over that you’d have to question Sunaks budget/ONS forecasts it’s based on. These are short term forecasts though and even they are likely to be provided wrong

Ps There is no doubt Brexit is currently having a negative impact on GDP though

edit - sorry, meant OBR not ONS

Last edited:

skybluetony176

I’ve heard James O’Brien this morning as well Tony ! He’s correct that based on current forecasts GDP will be lower in the long term although I didn’t hear over what period he’s talking about as it relates to permanent scaring. ONS has reduced Covid permanent scarring forecast from 3% down in March to 2% now, some think it might end up as low as 1%. So basically things can change, who knows when talking about permanent/long term

Typically he’s being disingenuous with how he’s positioning the questioning. Saying if people question ONS over that you’d have to question Sunaks budget/ONS forecasts it’s based on. These are short term forecasts though and even they are likely to be provided wrong

Haven’t listened to James O’Brien today. I was referring to comments made by the head of the OBR yesterday that brexit has damaged the UK GDP by 4% and that is expected to continue long term. It’s also what they said would happen as part of the apparent project fear. Looks like the experts were right on this one.

skybluetony176

Let’s face it. The so called Tax windfalls are only there as window dressing to hide the tax rises. Would anyone be surprised if they’re all reversed at the next budget whereas the tax rises will remain.

NorthernWisdom

Yeah I have no problem with the general principle. It's where that tax is levied that's important, however.

Then again, I've always been for tax and spend - better to invest in the country than grind it into the dirt!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think the internal flights one is mental. Perfect opportunity to encourage more rail use as part of a hybrid working model of the future.

Also tone deaf with COP

Get everyone here to supposedly try and encourage environmental improvement and give everyone a free pass with "but you just made short flights cheaper."

Or perhaps that's the point. None of them really care about getting anything done. The leaked papers on what countries wanted exempting/removing proves that. It's all just for public face. Entire thing is a waste of time.

shmmeee

I really hope you, me and SBT are still alive in 50 years just so I can see you still holding onto the hope that all the economic forecasts are wrong and this is just a temporary blip :p

CCFCSteve

I really hope you, me and SBT are still alive in 50 years just so I can see you still holding onto the hope that all the economic forecasts are wrong and this is just a temporary blip :p

😂😂...mate if I’m alive in 50 years I’d hate to think what state I’d be in ! As I think you know, my point was who really knows with any level of certainty what will happen economically in a couple of years let alone 5, 10, 20+...as Covid has proven all too well, hence example of the rapidly decreasing permanent Covid scarring forecasts ! That long term 4% is nothing more than a finger in the air....could end up being a lot better... or a lot worse.

It would be more useful for ONS to talk about the current/short term impact which I’m sure would be sufficient to make people sit up and take notice anyway

shmmeee

😂😂...mate if I’m alive in 50 years I’d hate to think what state I’d be in ! As I think you know, my point was who really knows with any level of certainty what will happen economically in a couple of years let alone 5, 10, 20+...as Covid has proven all too well, hence example of the rapidly decreasing permanent Covid scarring forecasts ! That long term 4% is nothing more than a finger in the air....could end up being a lot better... or a lot worse.

It would be more useful for ONS to talk about the current/short term impact which I’m sure would be sufficient to make people sit up and take notice anyway

I think that’s fair and as always I’m just poking you for fun, though I maintain that the impact of Brexit isn’t an economic forecast as much as very basic economics: put up trade barriers = get less trade = be poorer.

Agree on forecasts, trying to find it now but saw on Twitter a chart of the OBRs last twenty productivity predictions, each one basically “productivity is going to take off any second now” and of course all false, then you see the one from yesterday and surprise surprise it’s claiming productivity is about to take off any second now.

Sick Boy

I started my own business at the start of 2020 and it was the best decision I ever made. It’s really hard work and the old greys are coming on faster and faster at 36 but if you’ve got the chance, go for it!

Grendel

I started my own business at the start of 2020 and it was the best decision I ever made. It’s really hard work and the old greys are coming on faster and faster at 36 but if you’ve got the chance, go for it!

what do you do?

Users who are viewing this thread