Do you want to discuss boring politics? (35 Viewers)

Evo1883

A quick one on Scottish independence Screenshot_20211028-172634_Chrome.jpg

Also

My favourite tweets today I reckon 🤣🤣🤣

skybluetony176

There's a part 3 as well where he sends one of those tweets to Ed Miliband about something that's not in his constituency
I think in the majority (if not all) cases the levelling up fund doesn’t even restore local budgets to pre austerity levels so what is it levelling up exactly?

skybluetony176

I don’t know about Scotland paying to redevelop London but I did read some time ago that if you count British oil and gas production as Scottish only (given it’s in Scotland’s sovereign water) then per capita Scotland historically contributes more to UK’s economy than England, Wales or Northern Ireland individual per capita.

wingy

I don’t know about Scotland paying to redevelop London but I did read some time ago that if you count British oil and gas production as Scottish only (given it’s in Scotland’s sovereign water) then per capita Scotland historically contributes more to UK’s economy than England, Wales or Northern Ireland individual per capita.
Global warmers.

Skybluefaz

I started my own business at the start of 2020 and it was the best decision I ever made. It’s really hard work and the old greys are coming on faster and faster at 36 but if you’ve got the chance, go for it!
It's always been the planned end-game to go in to working for myself, just thought I might be working for someone else for a few years first. No financial sense in continuing the way I am though so I am going to give it a go. If it all goes wrong I'll work in the Amazon warehouse or summat. Thanks for the encouragement though.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Tory on newsnight explaining that the reduction in air duty for domestic flights is part of the levelling up agenda. What? How?

NEWSFLASH

It's not. It's something that massively benefits the wealthy the most but they wrap it in a veneer of Dave can go to Magaluf a bit cheaper so they can get away with it. And because it's said in a plummy voice a lot of people find it believable.

Philosorapter

Just wondering how the levelling up is going on in Coventry.

All I've seen are cuts as sponsored by Coventry City Council.

PVA

Just wondering how the levelling up is going on in Coventry.

All I've seen are cuts as sponsored by Coventry City Council.

Nowhere in the country is being levelled up, that much is obvious.

And Coventry was not successful in the Levelling Up funds bid.

CCFCSteve

NEWSFLASH

It's not. It's something that massively benefits the wealthy the most but they wrap it in a veneer of Dave can go to Magaluf a bit cheaper so they can get away with it. And because it's said in a plummy voice a lot of people find it believable.

Not sure the wealthy will worry too much about £6.50 per leg SBD. It’s like people saying about a few pence off certain alcohol is for ‘the rich’...come on, really...it’s like the 3p saving per pint is not going to win my vote at the next election. People need to step back and think about how stuff is being presented to them (and that goes for all sides)

Just a bizarre decision environmentally though.

Last edited:

Grendel

NEWSFLASH

ridiculous

skybluetony176

Not sure the wealthy will worry too much about £6.50 per leg SBD. It’s like people saying about a few pence off certain alcohol is for ‘the rich’...come on, really...it’s like the 3p saving per pint is not going to win my vote at the next election. People need to step back and think about how stuff is being presented to them (and that goes for all sides)

It’s just all window dressings designed to get people to talk about tax cuts that don’t matter unless you’re an alcoholic who commutes by plain from Birmingham to Edinburgh and back 5 days a week as opposed to talking about disproportionate tax rises that effect the most vulnerable the most.

CCFCSteve

It’s just all window dressings designed to get people to talk about tax cuts that don’t matter unless you’re an alcoholic who commutes by plain from Birmingham to Edinburgh and back 5 days a week as opposed to talking about disproportionate tax rises that effect the most vulnerable the most.

I don’t mind some of the booze duty stuff as it helps hospitality which is much needed. The fuel duty cut for internal flights is just a bit weird

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I don't think Magaluf counts as domestic m8

giphy.gif

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But it will be of far more benefit to those who regularly travel by plane internally and that's going to be business people. How many 'ordinary' people fly internally?

If these people wouldn't be worried about that kind of cost why bother cutting it and reducing your tax take? Ordinary people don't care because it's a service they seldom use and the rich people won't care because it's a drop in the ocean to them. Utterly bizarre. Especially at a time when we're supposedly trying to be more environmentally friendly - a big part of which has to be reducing the number of flights.

There has to be an underlying reason for this decision. They could have cut a whole number of things instead but the fact that this will disproportionately benefit wealthier people will be a factor in why they chose it over others. But just like Johnson taking a flight to a climate conference I have this feeling that this announcement (and the timing of it especially) is to deliberately undermine COP. They will talk about how important it is but in reality very few of them want anything meaningful to come from it. They see it as a barrier to economic growth and they'd much rather retain that than a healthy planet.

Liquid Gold

I actually think cutting duty on booze makes sense at the moment. The price of a pint isn't going to go down by 3p so the pubs that have been on their arse for 2 years will just be pocketing 3p extra per pint.

I intend to give them several 3p bonuses this evening.

CCFCSteve

But it will be of far more benefit to those who regularly travel by plane internally and that's going to be business people. How many 'ordinary' people fly internally?

If these people wouldn't be worried about that kind of cost why bother cutting it and reducing your tax take? Ordinary people don't care because it's a service they seldom use and the rich people won't care because it's a drop in the ocean to them. Utterly bizarre. Especially at a time when we're supposedly trying to be more environmentally friendly - a big part of which has to be reducing the number of flights.

There has to be an underlying reason for this decision. They could have cut a whole number of things instead but the fact that this will disproportionately benefit wealthier people will be a factor in why they chose it over others. But just like Johnson taking a flight to a climate conference I have this feeling that this announcement (and the timing of it especially) is to deliberately undermine COP. They will talk about how important it is but in reality very few of them want anything meaningful to come from it. They see it as a barrier to economic growth and they'd much rather retain that than a healthy planet.

I honestly think it’s a badly thought out attempt to encourage more business/travel within the UK and to maybe help out some airlines that do regional flights.

I can’t imagine it will have any real impact on any of the above. Worse than a waste of time in my view

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I honestly think it’s a badly thought out attempt to encourage more business/travel within the UK and to maybe help out some airlines that do regional flights.

I can’t imagine it will have any real impact on any of the above. Worse than a waste of time in my view

But could anyone be so tone deaf about the issue.

In fact, what am I talking about. It's the Tories - of course they can be. I suppose I should be more surprised if they hadn't. Next environmental policy - chop down all the trees to let grass grow to soak up all the CO2 and excess water.

Grendel

But could anyone be so tone deaf about the issue.

In fact, what am I talking about. It's the Tories - of course they can be. I suppose I should be more surprised if they hadn't. Next environmental policy - chop down all the trees to let grass grow to soak up all the CO2 and excess water.

You sound demented

wingy

If air travel is Vat free in the UK then why is petrol insurance etc subject to it considering most travel is for business/ job related?

Users who are viewing this thread