Do you want to discuss boring politics? (12 Viewers)

skybluetony176

I see Dominic Cummings thinks Lisa Nandy would wipe the floor with Johnson. I’m biased as I voted for her in the leadership election but what do others think?
I’m not a party member but if I was she would have had my vote. Best MP in the labour camp IMO. Stuck by her principals and resigned from Corbyns shadow cabinet when Starmer remained IIRC.

shmmeee

Twitter have done some research into how algorithms impact amplification of political content. Interestingly for 'lefty twitter' it seems right wing content receives more amplification, particularly in the UK.

I think what’s most interesting about this is that Twitter have no idea why this is the case.

In some ways, considering how Twitter is generally left bias this might actually be a good algorithm working to reduce bubbles but I doubt it and if it is it’s clearly not done intentional. I suspect the algo is optimised for engagement, and lefties are likely to comment and share right wing stuff than left?

Grendel

I think she's god awful

yeah I thought she came across ok in the leadership campaign but since then has looked out of her depth. She would make IDS look a good leader - an utter mental suggestion

oakey

Lisa Nandy has several points that will put off certain voters -

Northern
Lefty
Principled - ie. Critical of own party
Woman
Remainer

If she were
Southern
Righty
Unprincipled - ie. Vote as instructed
Man
Leaver

Then she'd be the next Tory leadership candidate

fernandopartridge

Northern
Lefty
Woman
Remainer

If she were
Southern
Righty
Man
Leaver

If principles means slagging off your own party for years while the country lurches from crisis to crisis you're spot on.

Ian1779

Northern
Lefty
Woman
Remainer

If she were
Southern
Righty
Man
Leaver

She didn’t have the ‘principles’ to call out Trump as the dog-whistle racist he is. So i imagine that Murdoch would love her.

oakey

Maybe "principled" is the wrong word.
I mean she has strong political views and generally sticks to them even when it is unpopular.
She is also willing to admit she got things wrong such as abstaining on the referendum vote when she now believes she should have voted against.
I like leaders who can reflect instead of doubling down.

Grendel

Maybe "principled" is the wrong word.
I mean she has strong political views and generally sticks to them even when it is unpopular.
She is also willing to admit she got things wrong such as abstaining on the referendum vote when she now believes she should have voted against.
I like leaders who can reflect instead of doubling down.

she’s like a wet weekend

Philosorapter

#BritainRejects

Time to wheel out the excuse that it is only a by-election.

Hearing a Twitter rumour the Independent stood on a platform of not being, 'New Labour'.

Last edited:

PVA

It's not an excuse. It was a parish and district council election that was won with 600 odd votes.

Hardly a reflection on Labour or Starmer 😂

Ian1779

It's not an excuse. It was a parish and district council election that was won with 600 odd votes.

Hardly a reflection on Labour or Starmer 😂
It’s hard to reflect whether it’s Starmer or Labour as both probably gave fuck all in terms of ideas for the councillor to work with.

PVA

It’s hard to reflect whether it’s Starmer or Labour as both probably gave fuck all in terms of ideas for the councillor to work with.

Maybe so, I just think at that low level the party is irrelevant. It's all about the individual and their standing within the community.

People are voting for a person, not a party, at that level.

Ian1779

Maybe so, I just think at that low level the party is irrelevant. It's all about the individual and their standing within the community.

People are voting for a person, not a party, at that level.
I agree with that to a certain extent… but it can’t be bad thing to have some direction or ideas from the overarching party you are a part of surely?

JAM See

skybluetony176

Philosorapter

The ‘content’ is retweeting a load of stuff taking the piss out of Starmer. She can rest assured though I probably won’t vote Labour in this constituency irrespective of whether she is Chair

The one you had a run-in with?

To be honest, I never checked her Twitter.

shmmeee

Looks pretty good to me. Focuses on voters main concerns over Labour (tax and spend). Not sure what more you want.

Users who are viewing this thread