Do you want to discuss boring politics? (28 Viewers)

PVA

Also, this Tory campaign to get people back in the office is getting desperate.

IF YOU WORK FROM HOME YOU'RE HELPING THE TALIBAN!!

PEOPLE STILL WENT TO WORK EVEN WHEN GETTING BOMBED!!

20211009-230300.jpg

20211010-005414.png

Brighton Sky Blue

They would - so to get Labour into ‘power’ they are going to have to form some kind of progress alliance with the SNP, Greens, PC and probably even LD, and a proper strategy of standing down candidates based on the make-up of the individual seats.

I don’t get what is progressive about wanting to break the country up with SNP and PC.

Brighton Sky Blue

Oh yeah I'm fully aware of their reasoning, just saying they're getting a bit desperate if they're resorting to saying that people WFH helps the taliban 😂

No more stupid than the libellous comments about Corbyn being a commie collaborator

clint van damme

Oh yeah I'm fully aware of their reasoning, just saying they're getting a bit desperate if they're resorting to saying that people WFH helps the taliban 😂

Unfortunately we live in a country where a large number of people fall for this bollocks.

skybluetony176

20211009-230300.jpg

20211010-005414.png
The Mail getting into the The Sunday Sport territory there. They’ll be telling us next that there’s a spitfire on the moon.

Skybluefaz

20211009-230300.jpg

20211010-005414.png
Be interesting to see if the working from home narrative switches due to high energy prices for business.

Astute

Unfortunately we live in a country where a large number of people fall for this bollocks.
Unfortunately we live in a country where both main parties get away with constant bollocks because the most vocal on both sides attack every lie from one side and defend every lie from the other. There's no pressure for either side to become more truthful. And until it changes politics in the UK will continue to be a farce. This makes idiots like Boris electable. And even though we have gone from one disaster to another I have seen nothing to suggest anything but another Tory government.

There's not enough poor/left wing voters to counter rich/aspirational/anti left voters to give anything but another Tory win unless a major event happens that shows the Tories for what they are. And even this might not be enough.

Brighton Sky Blue

Unfortunately we live in a country where both main parties get away with constant bollocks because the most vocal on both sides attack every lie from one side and defend every lie from the other. There's no pressure for either side to become more truthful. And until it changes politics in the UK will continue to be a farce. This makes idiots like Boris electable. And even though we have gone from one disaster to another I have seen nothing to suggest anything but another Tory government.

There's not enough poor/left wing voters to counter rich/aspirational/anti left voters to give anything but another Tory win unless a major event happens that shows the Tories for what they are. And even this might not be enough.

Why is aspiration the preserve of the right?

wingy

Who knows could be on the verge of it depends how this situation plays out over the winter and into next year with interest hikes,gas Levy's, inflation etc strength of sterling.

Astute

Why is aspiration the preserve of the right?
Did I say it was?

Most of those who do well/perceive themselves as doing well want to be led by those who look after those who have money.

But here we go again. Defend Defend Defend. Attack Attack Attack. Never consider anything that doesn't tick a box. Keep everything as it is. Keep the Tories in power.

I can't wait. Just 18 months to go and will be living in a country where all politicians are held to account. Even from those who support that party.

Astute

Who knows could be on the verge of it depends how this situation plays out over the winter and into next year with interest hikes,gas Levy's, inflation etc strength of sterling.
Which is what I mentioned. Might if something major happens that goes badly wrong.

Too early to call anything. I will nail my flag to the mast when it is time. Can't remember the last time I called any kind of vote wrong. Mainly comes down to how well/badly the Tories are doing against the perception of Labour. People looking after their accumulated wealth will nearly always come before a Labour vote. Too many people who are asset rich but cash poor see themselves as rich.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Theres always going to be that issue until you have pure democracy (which is a terrible idea IMO).

Really we probably need to bite the bullet and go for a presidential system as we basically vote like that anyway.

I'm not a fan of giving one individual too much power, especially one who can claim they have a mandate from the people. As we already see in elections people will very easily fall for lies, promises that can't be kept or just the personality of the person. Promise one thing then do another and then use the media etc to spin it in their favour.

If it did happen we'd have to learn from the US etc. For a start they should have no say whatsoever in picking the judiciary.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Problem is like all progressive policies 50% want nothing to change and the other 50% are split eight ways about what change to make.

Exactly. Not wanting things to change is a definite position. Wanting to change things has endless permutations. So even if a large majority of the population want things to change chances are you'd still not get enough of a consensus on how to do it to overcome the few that want things staying as they are.

Astute

I'm not a fan of giving one individual too much power, especially one who can claim they have a mandate from the people. As we already see in elections people will very easily fall for lies, promises that can't be kept or just the personality of the person. Promise one thing then do another and then use the media etc to spin it in their favour.

If it did happen we'd have to learn from the US etc. For a start they should have no say whatsoever in picking the judiciary.
The voting public have no choice but to vote for the lies or promises that can't be kept because all main parties do it. And voting for a smaller party is usually a wasted vote.

clint van damme

Did I say it was?

Most of those who do well/perceive themselves as doing well want to be led by those who look after those who have money.

But here we go again. Defend Defend Defend. Attack Attack Attack. Never consider anything that doesn't tick a box. Keep everything as it is. Keep the Tories in power.

I can't wait. Just 18 months to go and will be living in a country where all politicians are held to account. Even from those who support that party.

Are politicians held to account in France?
I honestly don't know but I do remember Macron allowing the police to set about yellow vest protestors, including women, very violently and don't think he had much repercussions.

I was surprised at the time that the anti EU brigade on here didn't make much more of it and I suspected it was because they thought it could happen here, which it did, albeit on a smaller scale.

Astute

Are politicians held to account in France?
I honestly don't know but I do remember Macron allowing the police to set about yellow vest protestors, including women, very violently and don't think he had much repercussions.

I was surprised at the time that the anti EU brigade on here didn't make much more of it and I suspected it was because they thought it could happen here, which it did, albeit on a smaller scale.
Yes they are. The only reason Macron got in last time is it was him or full on racists.

Push them too far and they all go on strike. But the press is the same as here. Full of shite and with an agenda.

stupot07

Inappropriate behaviour from 'impartial' bbc news reporters at the tory part conference.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Im sure they are and will.

I think we somehow need to incorporate dividends into corporation tax in some form. At the moment it's tax v dividends and if you base the tax around the dividends everyone is pulling in the same direction. If the shareholders are doing well so is the public purse.

Philosorapter

I think we somehow need to incorporate dividends into corporation tax in some form. At the moment it's tax v dividends and if you base the tax around the dividends everyone is pulling in the same direction. If the shareholders are doing well so is the public purse.

Would rather have a tax on shares as well. If you want to profit from the economy then you can pay something into society.

skybluetony176

You do get taxed on dividends
Doesn’t that depend on where the dividends are paid to. If they’re being paid to a hedge fund based in an offshore tax haven are they paying any tax or the same tax rate as a company director of a small company paying himself a dividend in the UK?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread