Do you want to discuss boring politics? (16 Viewers)

skybluetony176

When I'm Grand Emperor of the United Kingdom (it will happen). I shall bring in two laws at the start of my reign

PR and compulsory voting.

The current system is not fit for purpose.
We need a written constitution enshrined in law too. The current gentleman’s agreement only works if the ruling party behaves gentlemanly. To be clear I’m not just talking about the current government. Would have been nice if we’d had a written constitution when Blair presented his dodgy dossier on Iraq that meant he would have received some sort of retribution for deliberately lying and misleading parliament damaging the very fabric of our democracy.

skybluetony176

I don’t get the clamour for PR TBH. The left would splinter and the Lib Dems and Tories would reign forever more.

If you want a vision of the future magine Nick Clegg saying sorry forever.
I think second preference voting could work. If no one gets 51% of the vote in the first preference go to second preference.

JAM See

I don’t get the clamour for PR TBH. The left would splinter and the Lib Dems and Tories would reign forever more.

I live in Nuneaton.

My vote means nothing.

That's wrong.

Philosorapter

I think King Djer of Ancient Egypt had the right idea.

When the king died many of the courtiers followed him into the afterlife as well.

I am not saying ritual sacrifice is the way forward for the Labour Party but if we had a clean sweep of Labour councillors and MPs who supported a former leader from power then we could get away from this idea of certain Labour members of trying to get hold of power, and then keep it mentality that so many of them have when they chuck their ethics and morality out of the window in the pursuit of power.

The biggest obstacle to power any party has is waiting till there is a sufficient change of guard in the running of a political party at all levels. There is a reason why people are not voting Labour, and I don't think it has much to do with policy.

Grendel

It would have meant Farage a big ministerial job at one point

Philosorapter

There seems to be some sort of rift going on here. Why is it nearly always the West Midlands caught up on the other side of what's going on?

shmmeee

I live in Nuneaton.

My vote means nothing.

That's wrong.

Even under PR your vote could mean nothing. And you’ll get a random MP you have no say in you can’t remove.

I’m not sure no need to compromise with the majority and nothing but safe seat MPs is good for democracy.

Id rather STV or similar I think.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think King Djer of Ancient Egypt had the right idea.

When the king died many of the courtiers followed him into the afterlife as well.

I am not saying ritual sacrifice is the way forward for the Labour Party but if we had a clean sweep of Labour councillors and MPs who supported a former leader from power then we could get away from this idea of certain Labour members of trying to get hold of power, and then keep it mentality that so many of them have when they chuck their ethics and morality out of the window in the pursuit of power.

The biggest obstacle to power any party has is waiting till there is a sufficient change of guard in the running of a political party at all levels. There is a reason why people are not voting Labour, and I don't think it has much to do with policy.

If you remove Labour and put in Tory that's exactly the same. Possibly even more so.

They support whoever the leader is until the see a chance to seize power then stick the knife in. No morals, no ethics, just a desire for power. Then everyone gets behind them until they see a chance and so on. It tends to be the same people in and around the top for ages. There is very little changing of the guard. Given the utter shitshow of the moment surely you believe anyone who has supported Johnson should be removed and barred from standing in future.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Even under PR your vote could mean nothing. And you’ll get a random MP you have no say in you can’t remove.

I’m not sure no need to compromise with the majority and nothing but safe seat MPs is good for democracy.

Id rather STV or similar I think.

Rehashing my cinema analogy it's like one person wanting to see an action movie, the other an art house film so you end up going to watch a rom-com instead. You've reached an agreement but both of you are sitting there thinking "I don't really want to watch this."

shmmeee

Rehashing my cinema analogy it's like one person wanting to see an action movie, the other an art house film so you end up going to watch a rom-com instead. You've reached an agreement but both of you are sitting there thinking "I don't really want to watch this."

Theres always going to be that issue until you have pure democracy (which is a terrible idea IMO).

Really we probably need to bite the bullet and go for a presidential system as we basically vote like that anyway.

Grendel

skybluetony176

Yeah we'd rather have a PR system like say in Italy that creates about 30 governments in 40 years. How has it not worked in your view?
Italy also operates a parallel voting system that combines FPTP with PR. Their far right want to change that to FPTP only. Funny that.

wingy

More evidence of my Marxian economics , let's introduce a gas levy.
Mmm some more lovely tax,such a luxury that it is.

skybluetony176

More evidence of my Marxian economics , let's introduce a gas levy.
Mmm some more lovely tax,such a luxury that it is.
Thank god I’m not watching strictly. They got an all male couple this year and I heard it can make you gay just looking at them. It’s the subliminal gay gene through my TV. Fact.

shmmeee

Not to go full Tony here, but I see Isabelle Oakshott is saying we’re bad parents and bad Christians who don’t know the meaning of Christmas if we want a turkey and presents for the kids.

Piss off Izzy the true meaning of Christmas in my house is presents and gluttony. Deal with it.

CCFCSteve

Not surprised mate. The fact that it settled down across most of the country after a few days (because most had more fuel than they needed) was a decent indicator. If there were proper shortages/supply issues they’d still be problems across the whole country now.

I see the media are now whipping up panic buying at supermarkets 🙄. There are no doubt some supply pressures and delays in deliveries but nothing that significantly impacts people’s lives...until the selfish idiots head out and buy ten of everything.....just incase !

fernandopartridge

Not to go full Tony here, but I see Isabelle Oakshott is saying we’re bad parents and bad Christians who don’t know the meaning of Christmas if we want a turkey and presents for the kids.

Piss off Izzy the true meaning of Christmas in my house is presents and gluttony. Deal with it.
She was going on about Christmas being cancelled due to lockdown closing shops, pubs and restaurants last year

Ian1779

She’s a proper fucking crank - will change her opinion on a whim to distract from the shit show.

clint van damme

nice to know she's so invested in the story of a non white immigrant family.

Reactions: COV

Users who are viewing this thread