David Bell (1 Viewer)

Otis

I know.

I said Andy Thorn was fat once and I had to endure 6 days of hate mail and death threat phone calls and rotten eggs thrown at my windows.

All the neighbours sent me to Coventry too.

Which was pretty pointless of course, cos I was already here.

Astute

i am sure you will support bell too, but let him friggen play first

So you think it is Otis stopping him from playing now?

We have waited a long time to see him play. He has spent nearly half his career with us. Not one of our better signings...and that is saying something. Hope he does get fit and stay fit before he retires.

Joy Division

Yep. Feeling pretty smug right now to be honest.

And Joy Division (great band by the way), you're at it again! :D

'Laying into him?' Seriously?

Am I on 'Game for a Laugh' or something here? ;) You scamps!!

Like I said before, its not really joking is it. Or maybe I just don't get it.

I'm sure if David Bell was reading this he'd be wetting himself with laughter. Just embarrassing.

Otis

It's been a waste of wages for sure. 85 games in 4 years.

If we can get him fit I would be looking to offload him. Football is a business and cannot be run on sentiment. His wages could bring in a good player who will be more readily available.

Otis

Like I said before, its not really joking is it. Or maybe I just don't get it.

I'm sure if David Bell was reading this he'd be wetting himself with laughter. Just embarrassing.

Was just poking fun. I was joking yes, but it wasn't a 'joke.' If it were a joke it would have a punchline.

People need to lighten up. You're like bears with sore heads! ;)

Mucca Mad Boys

If we can get him fit I would be looking to offload him. Football is a business and cannot be run on sentiment. His wages could bring in a good player who will be more readily available.

Not only has he been a waste of wages... To make it worst, he is our top earner!!! And paid a fee.

But some of the fans go up in arms when we sign a freebie saying they are "bargain basket" signings. CCFC don't have a good record in signing players for a fee.

Otis

Very true.

Bell has been a bad signing. No-one can argue otherwise, talented or not. We just can't afford to carry passengers.

Joy Division

I agree, it has been a waste of wages.

Mucca Mad Boys

Very true.

Bell has been a bad signing. No-one can argue otherwise, talented or not. We just can't afford to carry passengers.

I'd look to sell him ASAP.

Can't believe Thorn offered him a new contract :facepalm:

torchomatic

Good luck to him. I think he'd be good in L1.

torchomatic

The same way he knew we definitely wouldn't get an away win last season, I suppose.

how do you know he will be a passenger in league one?

Joy Division

Very true.

I'd like to get him fit and see him play this season. Players like Carl Baker were hammered by our fans last season and people wanted rid of him, maybe being in a positive environment will bring out the best in our players.

lordsummerisle

Good luck to him. I think he'd be good in L1.

That's been the problem with most of our signings over the last few years.

They were supposed to be good in The Championship.

Signing players who are League One standard(at best) inevitably means we'll reach that level, which we have.

lordsummerisle

I'd like to get him fit and see him play this season. Players like Carl Baker were hammered by our fans last season and people wanted rid of him, maybe being in a positive environment will bring out the best in our players.

Being in a lower standard of football environment is bringing out the natural level of our players.

I

covcity4life

yeh ill just save the url of this thread to throw it back in his face when bell performs lol

hes made a habit of dismissing stuff so easily

playoffs,not a chance!

Joy Division

Being in a lower standard of football environment is bringing out the natural level of our players.

I

But were winning games at this level, the current form we have puts us alongside promotion contenders. Usually that means were better than that particular level.

RoboCCFC90

yeh ill just save the url of this thread to throw it back in his face when bell performs lol

playoffs,not a chance!

Please don't throw anything it might inadvertently hit David Bell and sideline him for six months
:facepalm:

Last edited:

RoboCCFC90

Everyone makes mistakes ;)

lordsummerisle

But were winning games at this level, the current form we have puts us alongside promotion contenders. Usually that means were better than that particular level.

No it doesn't, our current position means we're a mid-table team in League One, one that I think would be a lower table team without a Championship level manager.

Much as I like McGoldrick, he scores goals at League One level, but not the level above, ideal for us(and he should think for him as well).

Astute

playoffs,not a chance!

I have said playoffs all season. Can't see Bell getting into the team even if he manages to get fit. Who would you drop for him?

Mucca Mad Boys

No it doesn't, our current position means we're a mid-table team in League One, one that I think would be a lower table team without a Championship level manager.

Much as I like McGoldrick, he scores goals at League One level, but not the level above, ideal for us(and he should think for him as well).

You could argue MRK isn't a Championship standard manager.

He got rejected by Rotherham, and a host of L1 clubs according to him.

Greggs

Otis, your joke to laugh ratio is fucking abysmal for me! Keep up the good work, pffft.

Joy Division

For your first point I didn't mention anything about position, I said form. Our current position is down to the shit start we had under Thorn/Shaw and the horrible negative vibe we had during that period. I'd like to think how far we've come under Robins isn't really a fluke. We keep this up and we'll be amongst the top 6.

Secondly, Norwich fans could have said the same about Grant Holt when they signed him. Previously didn't do much at Forest before dropping a level to score loads of goals for Shrewsbury. Did the business for Norwich in League 1 and carried that form through the championship to the Premier league. Basically, we should give him a chance yeah? Scores a shit load of goals for us, becomes top scorer in the league but we should fuck him of cos he probably wont be good in the Championship?

Last edited:

lordsummerisle

For your first point I didn't mention anything about position, I said form. Our current position is down to the shit start we had under Thorn/Shaw and the horrible negative vibe we had during that period. I'd like to think how far we've come under Robins isn't really a fluke. We keep this up and we'll be amongst the top 6.

Secondly, Norwich fans could have said the same about Grant Holt when they signed him. Previously didn't do much at Forest before dropping a level to score loads of goals for Shrewsbury. Did the business for Norwich in League 1 and carried that form through the championship to the Premier league. Basically, we should give him a chance yeah? Scores a shit load of goals for us, becomes top scorer in the league but we should fuck him of cos he probably wont be good in the Championship?

Form is temporary, on current form Crewe, Brentford and Bournmouth are above us, so that means that we are all better than League One now then?

Didn;t say that McGldrick wouldn't score goals in the future in The Championship, just that he hasn't generally before scored many.

If we signed him we would obviously have to play him in The Championship if we went up, as doubt he would sign a permanent deal with us for just 5 months?

You mentioned Grant Holt, neglected to mention Eastwood, Morrell and Baker who scored lots of goals in League One, but not regularly in the level above. That's just some players from Coventry off the top of my head.

Teams that get promoted a level, no matter how strongly they may have played in that level generally need to strengthen considerably at the next level or they will struggle generally.

Joy Division

I mentioned Grant Holt as just an example of someone who has done well in League one and managed to carry that through the leagues. Whipping out the names of past failures, well, not quite sure what the point is. Our focus should be the present, forget what has happened in the past, we seem to be doing things right on the pitch at last. The horrible virus that has plagued the club in the championship has been the negativity. Fans have suffered with it and more notably the players have. Fuck all that negativity of the past, this is the new CCFC, a much more positive and hungry team backed by positive fans not getting on the backs of but supporting every player.

We can judge how good our team is by the end of the season and if the players are too good for the league or if they have indeed found their level.

WillieStanley

Have I accidentally stumbled on to The Daily Mail forum about Big Fat Quiz Of The Year? Give the guy a break!!

Anyway, on topic... Bell scored the greatest goal ever scored in Sky Blue at the Ricoh imho, so for that reason, despite his appauling injury record, he endears himself to me and I hope he does return and starts earning the money he has been paid.

He's yet another of the frustratiing players we've had of late, but Michael McIndoe he is not. Speaking of which, did they ever find McIndoe following that fraud investigation?

hill83

Without reading the thread.

For me, Bell is a talented 'nearly' player. This is his last chance. I believe he can come good in league 1.
But he has taken the piss for years. If he doesn't pull his finger out this year it's time to accept, us and him, that it's time to move on.

Otis

Think people are missing the point somewhat. (though the talented Mr. Hill as usual gets the gist straight away)

It's not whether David Bell is any good or not, it's how appalling his injury record has been.

That was the 'passenger' comment. Passenger based on the amount of games he plays for us. Those wages could be better used elsewhere.

Nowt to do with whether or not he's good enough or not.

WillieStanley

Think people are missing the point somewhat. (though the talented Mr. Hill as usual gets the gist straight away)

It's not whether David Bell is any good or not, it's how appalling his injury record has been.

That was the 'passenger' comment. Passenger based on the amount of games he plays for us. Those wages could be better used elsewhere.

Nowt to do with whether or not he's good enough or not.

The "Give the guy a break" comment... the guy I was referring to was you!! I totally agree with the fact that he has not been great value for money due to his injury record...

Otis

I know. Sorry, should have made that clear.

Understood what you were saying.

The state this club is in and the little amount of money available, simply means we cannot afford to keep players on the treatment table for month after month after month.

Unless things improve, the same label is going to get tagged on Conor Thomas too soon.

He needs to come in and stay injury free.

Users who are viewing this thread