Crowd trouble (7 Viewers)

Joy Division

The setup is a joke, basically stranded 3 and a half miles away from the station.
And even if the trains were on from the ground after the game they've got to cross directly where thousands of us are walking to get there.

At least this is something we wont have to worry about when we move to Warwick Uni

Gynnsthetonic

Why can't they have a soccer special from the CBS Arena to New St after the game, I remember in the 90s direct trains from Derby, Leicester and Witton Station direct to Coventry after the game. You're going to have hundreds of Birmingham fans strolling back to the station after the game unless they run buses.

Joy Division

Why can't they have a soccer special from the CBS Arena to New St after the game, I remember in the 90s direct trains from Derby, Leicester and Witton Station direct to Coventry after the game. You're going to have hundreds of Birmingham fans strolling back to the station after the game unless they run buses.

£££££££

pusbccfc

Even with 4000, it's going to be a nightmare for Birmingham fans getting back.

chiefdave

Bit of a joke all round. Derby had 3,482 in attendance and they couldn't cope with that so what difference does it make if its 4K or 5K for this game? Yes the fans causing trouble are idiots but I don't see why the club should lose out on revenue because those who are paid to control the crowd can't do their job properly.

What would help is fans not acting like dickheads and the police & stewards actually doing their jobs rather than just standing around watching the trouble.
The setup is a joke, basically stranded 3 and a half miles away from the station.
And even if the trains were on from the ground after the game they've got to cross directly where thousands of us are walking to get there.
Said this many times, the whole plan for the arrival and dispersal of supporters in general and away supporters in particular is terrible. Every time something that goes wrong that highlights the problems instead of looking at the overall plan, or lack of plan, and working to fix that we get some knee-jerk reaction that just creates more problems.

We've had the discussion over and over again about the fence and now we've got this which will just encourage away supporters to buy tickets mixed in with home supporters and therefore increase the chance of crowd trouble.

chiefdave

If you mean a special train I think the official line is that there's not any spare trains that can be used due to the line not being electrified. They were waiting on lines elsewhere to be electrified to free up diesel rolling stock. There's also an issue that you can't turn trains around at the stadium station.

But despite all that it shouldn't be that hard to get away fans away from the stadium. I don't have the data, you'd hope someone at the stadium would, but I'd guess that the vast majority of away fans are either driving, coming by coach or train. There's a car park directly behind the away stand, put away supporters cars there, think they already have away coaches waiting but also have a buses running directly to the station from behind the stand. You then remove the need for the vast majority of visiting supporters to be wandering around mixing with home supporters.

Sky Blue Pete

Bit of a joke all round. Derby had 3,482 in attendance and they couldn't cope with that so what difference does it make if its 4K or 5K for this game? Yes the fans causing trouble are idiots but I don't see why the club should lose out on revenue because those who are paid to control the crowd can't do their job properly.

What would help is fans not acting like dickheads and the police & stewards actually doing their jobs rather than just standing around watching the trouble.

Said this many times, the whole plan for the arrival and dispersal of supporters in general and away supporters in particular is terrible. Every time something that goes wrong that highlights the problems instead of looking at the overall plan, or lack of plan, and working to fix that we get some knee-jerk reaction that just creates more problems.

We've had the discussion over and over again about the fence and now we've got this which will just encourage away supporters to buy tickets mixed in with home supporters and therefore increase the chance of crowd trouble.
They’ll have made a plan I would hope

pusbccfc

The only long term solution for me would be am additional bridge over the train line towards Tesco. You'd then stop fans from walking toward the hill and the subway beneath the track.

Additionally, there's space next to Curry's which could be built as an additional car park, freeing up space to allow coaches to park directly outside the away end.

Simple, but very expensive.

Obviously a regular shuttle train would also work.

Liquid Gold

If you mean a special train I think the official line is that there's not any spare trains that can be used due to the line not being electrified. They were waiting on lines elsewhere to be electrified to free up diesel rolling stock. There's also an issue that you can't turn trains around at the stadium station.

But despite all that it shouldn't be that hard to get away fans away from the stadium. I don't have the data, you'd hope someone at the stadium would, but I'd guess that the vast majority of away fans are either driving, coming by coach or train. There's a car park directly behind the away stand, put away supporters cars there, think they already have away coaches waiting but also have a buses running directly to the station from behind the stand. You then remove the need for the vast majority of visiting supporters to be wandering around mixing with home supporters.
Way too sensible.

What they’ll do is put barbed wire on the fence and a sign between fans that says “don’t do troubles please”

Sky Blue Pete

No rail solution - got Andy street’s office on it and the guys reply today was

We are making slow progress on the bay platform at Coventry with Network Rail which would eventually allow some trains on match days.

Just utterly pathetic not from their office but as a failure of all parties since the station was built. What a load of nonsense

slowpoke

Was extra trains on match days ever realistic though I remember this raising its head some years ago and BR knocked it clean on the head due to cost explaining the knock on effect through specials was massive.

chiefdave

No rail solution - got Andy street’s office on it and the guys reply today was

We are making slow progress on the bay platform at Coventry with Network Rail which would eventually allow some trains on match days.

Just utterly pathetic not from their office but as a failure of all parties since the station was built. What a load of nonsense
Its utterly pathetic. Its now 16 years since the stadium was opened right next to the existing train line and you still can't easily get to events by train.
Was extra trains on match days ever realistic though I remember this raising its head some years ago and BR knocked it clean on the head due to cost explaining the knock on effect through specials was massive.
Wasn't the original justification for the small number of parking spaces and massive no parking zone that the stadium would be easily accessible by public transport?

Sky Blue Pete

Its utterly pathetic. Its now 16 years since the stadium was opened right next to the existing train line and you still can't easily get to events by train.

Wasn't the original justification for the small number of parking spaces and massive no parking zone that the stadium would be easily accessible by public transport?
Worse that it’s no one’s priority. Just spent £11m or so on the station but haven’t included the money for the bay platform

slowpoke

[/QUOTE]
I think it was the parking restriction zone is far too large

COV

It will absolutely cause the fundamental problem is the way the ground is set up I completely agree on that

You only need a handful of people to cause mayhem, its weird that the police think that limiting numbers will make the slightest bit of difference

CV22SBA

It was but that was after trouble in the previous match up there, rather than what happened at the Ricoh.

There's been no trouble at 95% of CCFC away matches in the past 10 years. Look at Hull and Blackburn. Decent followings and no issues.
The police presence was very large at both Hull and Blackburn though. At Hull more police than stewards in the away end.

chiefdave

I would like to know what Boddy is going to be doing going forward. If the away ends holds 6,000 and we can only cater for 4,000, then that is an issue and I suggest they do something about it.
What can he do? Not like he can overrule them. He can question the methods used and the crowd management at the stadium but we're not in charge of any of that are we?

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Keep the away fans in for 20 minutes.
Disperse the trouble making home fans.
Don't limit tickets.
Thank me later.

The club should never have closed the Telegraph stand when they did.

slowpoke

We either have to limit the away section to a couple of blocks about 3000 or have proper safety rails and not netting

Users who are viewing this thread