Match Thread Coventry v Bury Match Thread - Tuesday 16th Aug (1 Viewer)

SkyBlue_Bear83

I would say he was marginally better. I agree your comment about wingers, think he'd be alright in tbr right formation, but in a front 3 in that formation hes the wrong player.

I agree he won't always beat his player, but he doesn't always have too, he doesn't always have to take his man on. He ripped us apart last season running from deep from a very wide position, but I just can't see it working in this formation.

Jones was also poor to be fair.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Reid would be great at this level if you told him to never shoot, no matter what the circumstances.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Worse and I've seen this season by some distance. Yes Swindon and Shrewsbury were poor games but atleast we looked like we might get something. Just a shame most fell to Thomas.

What is a concern is how tonight we didn't look like we'd played together before, or not even trained.

Harries and McCann the only pluses.

Vlad May aswell have not turned up. Same for Ruben. Tudgay tried but doesn't suit this set up. Haynes was disappointing after getting another crack. Rose unlucky with the injury and before that seemed our only outlet. Jones is being picked up by opposition who adopt thug like tactics just to take him out the game. RCC needs to stick to basics. Great in the 1v1 opportunity but poor when trying to keep hold of the ball after a backpass, or look for the short pass rather than clearing.

Agreed in the main I agreed with TM's comments post match. Just a shame he could see that Bury we're going to come with physical tactics from the off before kick off, and that our kids were unlikely to match it.

I can't buy that Ruben was intimidated by the toughness. I'm no gym goer but he needs to get himself a membership and work there daily and nightly until he bulks up if he wants to succeed. You can't get away in this league with trickery alone, of which we haven't even seen much of that yet!

Am a little concerned about players fitness and / or injuries. To date, is it 3 of our new signings that have injuries since sighing? Jones, K Thomas and Sordell?

Not wanting to pick fault with the medical staff but surely we are missing something? Or are we pushing players too hard from the off?

oucho

Is that an honest question , really ?
No, it's a statement. Thorn's final game was a home draw against Bury, too. That evening he was seen clearing out his office in black bin liners into his car.

Martin180

No, it's a statement. Thorn's final game was a home draw against Bury, too. That evening he was seen clearing out his office in black bin liners into his car.
So you see no difference between Pressley and Mogga ? Again really ?

Martin180

Reid is a winger. Not a front man. And tonight confirmed why his scoring rate is so low!
Exactly ! Dave Bennett was a boyhood hero of mine , the first player to get me off my seat when he was running at a defence but I soon learned to sit back down when he was shooting

oucho

So you see no difference between Pressley and Mogga ? Again really ?

I didn't say that. I was critiquing our owners, not our manager. And I was comparing that sacking of Thorn, not Pressley, with the start of this season under Mowbray Keep up!

Martin180

I didn't say that. I was critiquing our owners, not our manager. And I was comparing that sacking of Thorn, not Pressley, with the start of this season under Mowbray Keep up!
Apologies , personally I think we have to keep Mogga for as long as possible .This seasons results have been disappointing but the strategies he is bringing to the club will bear fruit over the next few season both on and off the pitch

chiefdave

Didn't think we were that bad until Rose went off injured. Seemed to totally lose our shape then and it all started to fall apart a bit.

Things picked up when Jones came on but we're not going to score when nobody will have a shot. I get that we haven't got a 20 goal a season forward but these are pro footballers, why isn't anyone shooting? They should take every opportunity to shoot at this level, we know that keepers in L1 will make mistakes so just keep testing them even if its from the edge of the box.

Is Lameiras carrying a knock? He seems totally off his game at the moment.

On the positive side we look decent at the back. Been impressed with Harries who certainly doesn't look like he's only played a handful of games. McCann was decent enough, looks like he could be a good signing.

While it wasn't the greatest performance I don't think we're that far away from a decent team. If Mowbray can get a few more decent players in before the deadline, particularly goal scorers I think we could be OK.

Wasn't impressed with the stick George Thomas was being given from the start of the game or the booing at half time and full time. The atmosphere is toxic, you get the sense that people are poised ready and waiting for something to complain about.

oucho

Apologies , personally I think we have to keep Mogga for as long as possible .This seasons results have been disappointing but the strategies he is bringing to the club will bear fruit over the next few season both on and off the pitch

Me too, hence my comments which betray my concern that SISU will make the stupid mistake of sacking him for a slow start, as they did with Thorn.

johnwillomagic

I feel a bit sorry for Tudguy as when he is picked he always ends up with Thomas and Lameiras,,,poor guy. Both of those two players subs at best I think if we persist with this formation you need Tudguy as front man with the pace of Reid and Jones playing off him. George Thomas is just not good enough for this level of football, not sure with Lameiras more sub material at present.

If Tudguy played with Reid and Jones as start xi things would be different if Tudguy does not do himself justice after a few games then chuck back Sordell when fit!

I actually would like us to play Mike Bassett 4-4- f***in 2 tbh though - Reid and Jones on both wings.....Tudguy and Sordell up top McCann. Gadhzev in central mid.

Bruce the Boot

Tonight's attendance................... Lost a lot of fans .........over the last few yrs ..

Otis

Tudgay was dreadful, someone on here got it spot on when they said he is the most defensive forward ever. He doesn't want to get into the box.
Not a big fan of Tudgay. He is good at holding the ball up and .....well, that's about it.

Not a potent goalscorer and has no pace. He is quite intelligent, but no real threat half the time and it is very rarely you see him making runs into the penalty area to get on the end of crosses or through balls.

letsallsingtogether

Not when it's such an important source of income it isn't
So if it is that important give the customers something to come for.
I am a season ticket holder and will always go, but those that are on the edge need more can't blame them after so many years of the same excuses ibut still nothing has been fixed.
Btw it is an important source of income for most teams.
How much money do the likes of Bury make from there stadium?
serious question some seem to think because a team own there ground they are twi e or three times better off.

dongonzalos

I will take another draw till we get all the players in that we need
Would be really chuffed if we draw with Bradford

Last edited:

SkyblueBazza

Sorry this is a shit start we have played 3 shit teams what happens when we play someone who can score goals?
Luckily for us they were as bad as us up front.
Like Bradford you mean?
That will probably be a real wake up & smell the coffee moment.

On another thread I at least attempted to put our new signings (pre-Turnbull) nto real perspective - they ain't necessarily L1 beaters - however, they need te to settle. Personally, as things stand...I think 10 games in we will look precarious, 20 games in...mid-table. Season's end 10th.

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Hobo

Last season I was roundly mocked on here for showing that without AA's goals, we'd be in a relegation dogfight. But I was right and now he's gone the early signs are not good as we look like reverting to the SP era.

Take top scorers out of most team's and they will struggle. I do take your point though, a lot of fans thought we were better than we were and got carried away with the goals we put past Crewe and Bury.

But that was just part of the team building which is still going on. TM had a massive job on his hands when he arrived. We are a League 1 club with a League 1 budget.

We need a couple of strikers.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

Me too, hence my comments which betray my concern that SISU will make the stupid mistake of sacking him for a slow start, as they did with Thorn.

The only mistake with the sacking of Thorn was that it should have been done 1 year earlier.

Hobo

The only mistake with the sacking of Thorn was that it should have been done 1 year earlier.

I would have preferred him not to be appointed. With his appointment and forced sales it was like we were being geared up for relegation.

Seamus1

I would just like to take the opportunity to defend Ruben. Last season at the start, he was incredible when playing in the 4-2-3-1 formation as he was essentially playing in a hole between the opposition's midfield and defence in what was quite a fluid formation. As such, he was able to pick a pass forward to Armstrong and thus create a number of chances.

Last night saw him being pushed forward into a front 3, effectively putting him on top of the defence, and not therefore given the space to be able to pick out a pass. He could not really drop back to create space for himself as this would have imbalanced the forward line. Am I saying that we should change formation to suit Ruben? No, I am not.

In my opinion, the inexcusable displays last night came from Thomas and Tudgay who were both pathetic. Thomas in particular is forever caught on his heels and is therefore always 2 seconds behind play. As for Tudgay, I was always against him having a new contract.

Steve.B50

This was not a game that we will want to remember but if we can take any positives our defence was ok.
Not going to loose any sleep out of this one and remember Barnsley last season were rooted at the bottom of league till January and could not buy a win. Ok I can dream!

4waspsting

We need big help one Sordell won't solve the problem, there must be many players out there that can put chances away, otherwise we are down. Get your money on Bradford Saturday its a sure fire banker.

oucho

We shouldn't really infer anything from results until we're ten or so games in. The table before then is a bit meaningless. Even then, it's a long season and every year there are those who have "a season of two halves" (as we did last time) or go on unexpected runs of wins/defeats that radically alter their league placing. So no panic yet. Wigan, Millwall and Barnsley all started poorly last year, as we pointed out above, and went on to finish well.

That said, our squad list certainly looks significantly weaker than last season when we placed 8th - things can change but at the moment my prediction of a second straight 8th place looks a bit optimistic....10th might have been a better bet. Yes we need to add in Page, Turnbull, McBean and the Finn (has he signed yet??) plus any others that Mogga has up his sleeve, but even then we look like a lower top half outfit.

Grendel

Thorns sacking had nothing to do with the results. It was the summer preparation (or lack of it) and the concerns expressed by senior players at the club regarding his attitude that led to his sacking.

oucho

Thorns sacking had nothing to do with the results. It was the summer preparation (or lack of it) and the concerns expressed by senior players at the club regarding his attitude that led to his sacking.
According to who, other than your imaginary friend?

Grendel

According to who, other than your imaginary friend?

According to pretty much everyone associated at the club at the time and Waggot pretty much said so in public.

We also had his next attempt at management which ended with a chairman receiving threats on social media as thorn blamed him for the dire situation and not thorn himself.

Still you think thorn was the best manager since jimmy hill and want him back as director of football.

oucho

According to pretty much everyone associated at the club at the time and Waggot pretty much said so in public.

We also had his next attempt at management which ended with a chairman receiving threats on social media as thorn blamed him for the dire situation and not thorn himself.

Still you think thorn was the best manager since jimmy hill and want him back as director of football.

This is literally the first time I haev ever seen this claim made. Which senior players? Please link to the Waggott interview where this was mentioned (remember, SW was not at CCFC when AT was fired).

The point is that SISU have form in giving a manager resources, a pre-season run, allow him to build a new squad, and get rid after 4 games (with no losses). Circumstances not the same but the point remains...either AT shouldn't have had the job at all, or he should have been given longer - the ultimate outcome was totally illogical, whichever way you look at, and any defence of SISU is useless because it was indefensible decision-making.

Users who are viewing this thread