Coventry RFC Thread 18/19 (1 Viewer)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Oh dear, this thread is starting to look like one about the City after a few reverses !? We do seem to be playing worse away from that excellent home support we get though. Should be there on Saturday and hope we can pull them over the line to a much needed morale boosting win.

I don’t want to sound as dramatic as some on the city threads.

It is a concern however how poor it was Saturday and how we’ve started away, Cornish pirates stuffed us but they’re a very good side, Hartpury like Saturday made the most of the conditions (but Cov should have won), I wasn’t at that one but Saturday there was nothing, the only positive I can think of was that we didn’t concede more, but that was mainly down to them taking so much time over scrums and scrums being reset and that was only because they were battering us in the scrum they called for scrums.

Hope RW doesn’t make too many changes as I’m not sure that’s the answer 4/5 might be right.

Front row look all over the place, Jeannot was the pick, him coming on coincided with the scrum not being pushed back at a rate of knots!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Tomorrow’s team-
Coventry Rugby:

1. James Gibbons
  2. Phil Nilsen
  3. Luc Jeannot
  4. Alex Woolford
  5. Dan Faleafa
  6. Adam Peters
  7. Jack Ram
  8. Ben Nutley
  9. Pete White
  10. Jake Sharp
  11. David Halaifonua
  12. Sam Tuitupou
  13. Tony Fenner
  14. Max Trimble
  15. James Stokes
Replacements:
Scott Tolmie
Nathanael Titchard-jones
Charlie Beech
George Oram
Tom Jubb
Tom Kessell
Andy Bulumaku

Jeannot was solid when he came on last week so happy with that.
New 2nd row pairing
Sharp in v old club.
Fenner in the centre.
Trimble first appearance of the season

It looks a good set of backs for a dry day conditions tomorrow look as bad as today so it’s an interesting one, can see White to Sharp to Fenner and wide to the other 3 and away tomorrow will be the order of the day!

Both us and Scottish have won 2 lost 4 both beating Bedford and Jersey!

Fancy Cov to get a win with a BP tomorrow
Cov by 8 points.....

Kneeza

Fair enough. Beeb saying 15mph from the railway end. Never easy to decide which way to go first (assuming you get the choice).
I'm going Cov by 20. Always the optimist. (Or fool).

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Fair enough. Beeb saying 15mph from the railway end. Never easy to decide which way to go first (assuming you get the choice).
I'm going Cov by 20. Always the optimist. (Or fool).

Take the wind first half & get off to a flier!

Watched first 20 of Scottish game on Sky last Saturday and I’m sure they said their captain Bright 8 is 40 years old!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Get in, just coming out. Love a City, Cov double victory !
Amen to that!

That Trimble break!
Ram & Peters were my MOTM!
Cov’s defence around the last 10 metres was a worry!

‘Free game’ at Ealing next week anything a bonus!
Need 5 off Yorkshire carniege up here In 2 weeks before the cup break for a couple of months!

Kneeza

Ram was a good shout for MoM, but White could have taken it too. Proper little terrier today.
Just wish we'd have played against the wind in the first. I feel sure it would have been a 5-0.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

41-13 down at half time!

Hopefully get 2 more tries for the BP only consolation I can see from this and keeping the score under 60 would be good!

Kneeza

Huge lad. Been at Cov for a week or so, and was at Ealing on Sat.
Apparently, until recently (when he spoiled it by cutting his fingernails and lost a few kg) he was the heaviest player in the prem (just another random fact ;) ).

Last edited:

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Huge lad. Been at Cov for a week or so, and was at Ealing on Sat.
Apparently, until recently (when he spoiled it by cutting his fingernails and lost a few kg) he was the heaviest player in the prem (just another random fact ;) ).

Good stat!

I spotted a picture of him in Tims blog after the LS up here week before last on the pitch at FT in Cov attire and did wonder who he was.

Did you go Ealing? Were they just on another level?

Kneeza

The Ealing result was no more than we could expect, all things considered, and i'm only disappointed that we didn't get within 10-15 points of them.
It's a shame they couldn't respond more positively to the early 'easy, easy' chants from a few Ealing twats, and to the knob of an announcer who had obviously decided that he was a commentator. Prat. Constantly. Inexcusable, and makes one appreciate what a gentleman JB is.
Considering they were awarded a try by Dean feckin' Richards that everyone (including the lino - who told him but was ignored) knew wasn't a try, and gave us nowt (including a good try), and Richards also ignored a pair of boots to Trimble's face when he was down in touch, as well as ignoring the fact that they were so far offside for most of the match they could have been in another county, we did OK. Some better goalkicking would have helped too.
It's out of the way though, and now, with a few returnees and a bit more 'gelling', we'll pick up the season.
Eight wins minimum, and comfortable safety is eminently achievable (which grips me somewhat, as given a bit of luck with injuries/suspension, I still think we could have finished top four).
Still. Irrelevant. Next season is one to look forward to.

The score line was disappointing even if the result was expected. Pirates, Ealing and Irish have a lot of years of cumulative building and spending at this (and higher) level of rugby so are a big step up in terms of the first 15 let alone 23 and squad. I'm happy that Rowland is picking his fights and we are generally competing well in those games. If you are by some way second best in this game then it becomes to almost impossible to retain possession or territory.

As for Ealing cheering "Easy, easy" that is pretty disrespectful, I hope they get promoted so that Sarries and Chiefs can repay the complement! Ha!

Kneeza

Biyi on the bench on Sat, and Sharp dropped. Stokes and Halaifonua still out.
Going to be a big ask given the level of changes we're having to make.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Biyi on the bench on Sat, and Sharp dropped. Stokes and Halaifonua still out.
Going to be a big ask given the level of changes we're having to make.

Thought Stokes would be out,stupid decision to play him v London Scottish so heavily strapped up. Thought Halaifinoua was in doubt as RW didn’t mention him in his midweek squad update.

Take it you know the team Kneeza? Won’t dig too much but Kessell or White?

Kneeza

It was Stokes who declared himself fit. Pillock.
Jeannot, Asbo, Gibbons
Oram, Tongan*
Makaafi, Peters**, Ram
Kessell, Maisey
Trimble, Stevens, ?, A. Bulumakau
Fenner

* New guy, name gone, too much rum tonight
** Peters took a smack tonight and may miss out.
? Ditto rum.
Sam on bench.

Last edited:

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

It was Stokes who declared himself fit. Pillock.
Jeannot, Asbo, Gibbons
Oram, Tongan*
Makaafi, Peters**, Ram
Kessell, Maisey
Trimble, Stevens, ?, A. Bulumakau
Fenner

* New guy, name gone, too much rum tonight
** Peters took a smack tonight and may miss out.
? Ditto rum.
Sam on bench.

Very interesting side.....

Sam T on the bench!?

No Jubb or Voss (is he fit?)
Faleafa hasn’t impressed me yet, early days I know.

Be a blow if Peters is out, bit of an unsung star for me so far.

Hmmm

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Coventry Rugby:

1. James Gibbons
  2. Phil Nilsen
  3. Luc Jeannot
  4. Dan Faleafa
  5. George Oram
  6. Adam Peters
  7. Jack Ram
  8. Ben Nutley
  9. Tom Kessell
  10. Will Maisey
  11. Max Trimble
  12. Heath Stevens
  13. Andy Bulumakau
  14. Junior Bulumakau
  15. Tony Fenner
Replacements:

1. Scott Tolmie
  2. Charlie Beech
  3. Biyi Alo
  4. Cameron Gray
  5. Latu Makaafi
  6. Pete White
  7. Sam Tuitupou

Good work Kneeza bar Nutley for Latu & the other Bulumakau brother as the (?) bang on, you’re good at this ‘guessing’ malarkey.

What’s the reason for dropping Sam T to the bench. Squad looks a lot weaker in the backs without him, Stokes & Dave H (who I think hasn’t been as effective as expected so far!)

Kneeza

Yes, I guessed pretty well eh?
I'll give myself 8 out of 10 for that.

Sam needs a rest TBF, but he'll come on at some point.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Yes, I guessed pretty well eh?
I'll give myself 8 out of 10 for that.

Sam needs a rest TBF, but he'll come on at some point.

Resting him last Saturday, play him this Saturday then Rest weekend next before 6 weeks of cup games would have made more sense to me.

Still think Cov win tomorrow but think it’ll be less than 7 and I don’t think we’ll get the BP

25-20 (4-1) im going for.

Users who are viewing this thread