Coventry RFC Thread 18/19 (1 Viewer)

Kneeza

Tough game. Leeds are no mugs (even if currently struggling) but we made it harder on ourselves with the usual string of errors.
I'll take our start though, which beats that of any promoted side for a good many years.

Also, one of those great Saturdays when both CRFC and CCFC win, and the other lot don't. I'll take that every week!

Ashdown

Didn't attend either club today. Too much other stuff going on this weekend plus I'm fighting off a bit of man flu type lurgy. However would echo the perfect dual victories for Cov and City. Both really needed, especially for CRFC as a defeat would have really took the wind out of some sails. We have taken on a very different challenge at this level and have proved to be able to compete at home at least. Lets be honest with a bit of fortune we could have beat Irish too. At 1999 the crowd was pretty good too especially with football at the Ricoh and with it being very cold and wet. I really hope we are continuing to build a foundation in finance and expertise to get established in this league and grow the club.

fernandopartridge

Didn't attend either club today. Too much other stuff going on this weekend plus I'm fighting off a bit of man flu type lurgy. However would echo the perfect dual victories for Cov and City. Both really needed, especially for CRFC as a defeat would have really took the wind out of some sails. We have taken on a very different challenge at this level and have proved to be able to compete at home at least. Lets be honest with a bit of fortune we could have beat Irish too. At 1999 the crowd was pretty good too especially with football at the Ricoh and with it being very cold and wet. I really hope we are continuing to build a foundation in finance and expertise to get established in this league and grow the club.
Wasps lost as well for the bonus point

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

1999 crowd? I’d say 1600 max....

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Our packs way too weak genuine worry!
Any other side in the div beats us today.

Leeds new 10 won it for us! Missed 2 kicks to touch in the corner from their pens and the stupid kick which lead to our first try!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Views after 9 games in & the league break for the cup comp-

Strange season so far I’d have taken the points tally at 3 o’clock on the day of the jersey game, yet should have picked up at least a win on the road!
Poorest team I’ve seen this season (I’ve been to all home games and Richmond away) is Richmond who beat us comfortably!

Front row with exception to Gibbons (who will be in the Prem in next year or so) and I’ll cut Jeannot slack as he’s a kid but done well, is a big worry, hopefully Boulton returning from his ban will help provide some guidance.
Beech has disappointed so far.
Hookers haven’t had impact of last season hoping Darren D returning will provide another option.

2nd row needs to settle but injuries across the position have caused issues.
Oram and Voss would be my preferred option.
Back row- Ram & Peters have been class but 8 needs sorting (hopefully cup comp provides Preece and Latu with some game time)

9/10 all 4 have been below par.

Centres fine and probably most settled combination in Heath Stevens and Sam T.

Wings will be fine in Trimble/Stokes but need to stay fit, decent enough back up

Halaifinoua underwhelming so far at full back, Fenner has been an unsung hero where ever he’s played.

Bulumakau brothers haven’t had a chance to settle but I think will get a run in the cup comp!

Last edited:

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

So the development squad and a few fringe players lost 35-12 to Canada on Monday night.

6 weeks of the cup competition group stage starts this week, RW I’m sure will mix and match, try new combinations and fringe players to stake a claim.

I’m sure the likes of Ram, Tuitupou & Gibbons may get a few weeks deserved rest.

Hopefully Preece, Knox, Povey & Dawdiuk get some game time to stake a claim.

With 8 of the 12 getting to the KO’s you’d say that’s the aim, I think an away quarter final defeat is my wild guess.

An away win somewhere out the 3 games would be a bonus!

And like I’ve mentioned above hopefully the 9 & 10 combination clicks between somebody!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Strong side out, forwards mix & matched few returning!
Backs same as last game.
Useful bench as well.

Think Donny will win it but Cov will pick up a BP.

Insider

Having a decent season - real shame about how close some of these away losses are (granted I don't think they much care for the cup)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Having a decent season - real shame about how close some of these away losses are (granted I don't think they much care for the cup)

Not sure RE the cup I think it’s a chance to give the squad players a couple of games to make a statement & more importantly test some combinations, it’s important the 9/10 combination is more settled come January and form is found.

An away win in the 2 remaining games at Nottingham & Yorkshire is a must to get rid of that hoodo.

Yorkshire at home again this week, I’ll be honest I think they may turn us over, new players more settled, false position in my opinion, but at least the weather looks a touch drier than the game up here 3 weeks ago!

Insider

I see little value in the Premiership Development Cup an actually think it is rather pointless. I would rather see the A Leagues play in a cup with Championship as I am not sure many team in Championship Like the replacement to B&I Cup - one of them should be scrapped.

That lack of a win away must be playing on them now - as you say once the hoo doo is gone I would expect a few more W to be chalked up and the cup is probably the easiest place to get that first win.

Impressed with resurgence of Nottingham over the years - whisper it quietly put perhaps midlands rugby is slowly recovering (championship level I mean)

Kneeza

Seriously, it matters not a jot who wins and who loses. Well, I guess the small extra revenue from progressing to the semi and the final would come in handy, but the kudos just isn't there. The only other tangible benefit is to enable experimentation and the consequent (hopeful) nailing of combinations/tactics for the real games to follow after this Fred Karno Circus is done with.
I'm only going cos my ticket is already paid for, and even then I'm thinking about going to the dentist instead as it might be more entertaining/meaningful/useful/enjoyable.
Roll on Christmas and League rugby.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Seriously, it matters not a jot who wins and who loses. Well, I guess the small extra revenue from progressing to the semi and the final would come in handy, but the kudos just isn't there. The only other tangible benefit is to enable experimentation and the consequent (hopeful) nailing of combinations/tactics for the real games to follow after this Fred Karno Circus is done with.
I'm only going cos my ticket is already paid for, and even then I'm thinking about going to the dentist instead as it might be more entertaining/meaningful/useful/enjoyable.
Roll on Christmas and League rugby.

Totally agree, I wouldn’t pay to go to the cup games if I didn’t have my ST, surprised the club have kept the prices the same.

700 STH, England on the tv next 2 Saturday’s when we have home games be surprised if over 1,200 there tbh. Can’t be making much revenue, bar sales down as not drinking weather like last few months etc.

Not sure what the answer was with regards to padding out the season, maybe this comp would have worked in 2 week blocks like the European cup?

Hopefully a few can put their hands up over the next 6 weeks and a few combinations can be settled!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

51-32 win!
Cracking game both sides especially Cov defender poorly, every Yorkshire visit to our 22 seemed to result in a try for them.
Cov dominated the game.
Were 32-15 up after about 60 back to 32-32 after 72ish and Cov scored 3 tries.

Some great breaks and play by the backs.

Rob Knox MOTM for me!

Dry days it’s a different ball game and Cov will pose problems for any side in this div running at them!

Last edited:

Kneeza

52-39? You sure? ;)
Well, I didn't fall asleep, that's a fact!
Great game as it turns out, won by Cov's backs who were outstanding (not forgetting an immaculate line-out display, and decent all-round performance by the forwards who really turned the screw at times, with one stunning drive in particular standing out.
Still too many errors (Kessell drives me mad with his wayward kicking game), but when the backs got it right the crowd were purring. If they can build on that, then who knows what can happen.
Still say Whitey is putting Kessell in the shade with his quick thought and hands.
Jack Ram deserves all the accolades he gets too. What a grafter.
No comment on the pillocks in yellow.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Yeah few cracking rolling mauls!
Woolford was my first half MOTM really got about as well.

Maisey with a couple of cracking conversations hopefully confidence back if the cheap shot by them at the end hasn’t caused too much damage!

Kessell nearly landed a couple of those awful box kicks on my head.

Was like the last few seasons again today you score one we’ll score 2!

Kneeza

Those two particular box kicks are the worst two I've seen for a long time tbf. Mind you, if you'd have looked up for them you might have noticed the scoreboard...
Were they in pink? I have no idea as I have absolutely no colour memory/retention, as my missus will tell you (to my cost).
I've been known to go looking for a yellow car in the car park, when ours was green. Useless!

Kneeza

And yes, the Umaga knock-on was just the shitty icing on a shitty display. Mistakes like that can lose games.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Those two particular box kicks are the worst two I've seen for a long time tbf. Mind you, if you'd have looked up for them you might have noticed the scoreboard...
Were they in pink? I have no idea as I have absolutely no colour memory/retention, as my missus will tell you (to my cost).
I've been known to go looking for a yellow car in the car park, when ours was green. Useless!

I’ve messaged 3 separate people the wrong score, no idea how I’ve messed it up that much!

Well the game was theirs at that point, the moment that changed the momentum was the blocked clearance kick for our 5th try, if I was them I’d have gone outwide to try and run it for a bit as we were on the ropes!

Last edited:

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Saturday’s highlights.

Cov’s first try I didn’t realise how many hands it went through!

Personally prefer the game when conditions allow play like that!

Users who are viewing this thread