Coventry RFC Thread 18/19 (1 Viewer)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

There are considerably longer highlights (40+ minutes) here. Password is Cov! Pete White's 'head-high' is at approx 39.30 or so.

Cheers Kneeza, I was struggling to rewind so only saw it once but yeah guys going down so it is unfortunate!

I see Voss failed the HIA so will be out for a game/s, Woolford or more than likely Falfaef (spelling?) in for debut on Saturday?
Any news on Stokes hamstring injury?

Kneeza

Stokes looking doubtful.
Argy prop deal fell through at the last minute Leic have form here though having done the same with Tuilagi last year.
More to come though, but no names yet.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Stokes looking doubtful.
Argy prop deal fell through at the last minute Leic have form here though having done the same with Tuilagi last year.
More to come though, but no names yet.

That’s very annoying!
Richmond quite useful up front aren’t they? (Saying that it seems the whole division are!)

Kneeza

Biggest loss atm is Boults, but the front row coped very well on Sat (even Beech). We need shoring up, weight-wise in the second row though, and Woolford is on the light side. Oram and Faleafa are both probables for Saturday now.
I see they've finally announced Pete Brown as MD on the website. It's been so long I was beginning to think that had fallen through as well!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Biggest loss atm is Boults, but the front row coped very well on Sat (even Beech). We need shoring up, weight-wise in the second row though, and Woolford is on the light side. Oram and Faleafa are both probables for Saturday now.
I see they've finally announced Pete Brown as MD on the website. It's been so long I was beginning to think that had fallen through as well!

Surprised they haven’t sent Oram out on a couple of game loan just to get match fitness up.
Faleafa looks on a paper a quality signing!

Kessell or White to start?

Kneeza

Too many injuries. They need him available.

I'd start with Kessell, personally, but there are arguments both ways. I reckon Pete is arguably sharper atm, so good to have him as backup in case they need to mix it up with a more unpredictable half-back pairing. One thing's certain though, JS played himself in on Saturday ;)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I'd start with Kessell, personally, but there are arguments both ways. I reckon Pete is arguably sharper atm, so good to have him as backup in case they need to mix it up with a more unpredictable half-back pairing. One thing's certain though, JS played himself in on Saturday ;)

Haha that’s why I went for the 9 option.

If Sharp plays consistently at last Saturday’s level nobody will be able to argue his selection over Massey. A ground he’ll know well this weekend so hopefully same again.
Conditions look like it’ll be more Hartpury than London Irish!

Kneeza

Secretly pleasedfor Will as he's done absolutely nothing wrong, and now has a chance to play an absolute blinder (which I'm sure he will). With Fenner as back-up, if needed, there are two very stron half-back pairings available.
Of course, Fenner could be used to replace either winger, or slot in at fb too, such is his versatility. Good to have.

Norman Binns

One thing's certain though, JS played himself in on Saturday ;)
I think the wink at the end of that quote indicates that you were teasing a little with perhaps a little insider knowledge. Like Preece against Hartpury, I had a feeling Maisey would get recalled for this after 3 weeks out in the cold. They were both key players last season and although maybe not first choice this year, they must have 1st team game time.

This is going to be an intriguing encounter after last week’s performances from both sides and I wouldn’t like to predict this one. It could be close either way or a comfortable margin either way. If our forwards can match theirs then I think we can come away with 4 or even 5 points. I'm very much looking forward to it.

As an addendum to my original post, I take that back about your insider knowledge kneezer after seeing your last post subsequent to me posting. That's two successive weeks you've got it wrong on Sharp now, get a grip man.

Last edited:

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Secretly pleasedfor Will as he's done absolutely nothing wrong, and now has a chance to play an absolute blinder (which I'm sure he will). With Fenner as back-up, if needed, there are two very stron half-back pairings available.
Of course, Fenner could be used to replace either winger, or slot in at fb too, such is his versatility. Good to have.

You’d imagine Fenner will be on for Knox or Bulumakau and Dave H to the wing, Fenner to full back.

Kneeza

Sounds to me like there's been a rethink/realignment of job descriptions, hence the delay in announcing Brown's arrival.
Johnston's a rugby man first and foremost, but perhaps he's been hiding his other light, as it appears he's taken on quite a bit of the responsibility initially marked-out for Pete.
It almost has the feel of a shared role.
Anyway, all points (as previously alluded to) to the ramping-up of the ground project, which is exciting.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Sounds to me like there's been a rethink/realignment of job descriptions, hence the delay in announcing Brown's arrival.
Johnston's a rugby man first and foremost, but perhaps he's been hiding his other light, as it appears he's taken on quite a bit of the responsibility initially marked-out for Pete.
It almost has the feel of a shared role.
Anyway, all points (as previously alluded to) to the ramping-up of the ground project, which is exciting.

Seems like ‘Operation Premiership’ is well and truly on the cards!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Just digging out my waterproofs! Think I may have to take a seat for today’s game something I’ve not done a Cov game since I was a kid at Coundon road!

Ashdown

Oh dear Cov beaten 22_5, played quite poorly. ......crowd of 692.....How do Richmond compete with attendances like that ?!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Awful absolutely awful and clueless scoreline flattered Cov.
So many handling errors, battered in the scrum and kicked off the tee and out of hand embarrassingly!

Ashdown

3 defeats on the bounce it has to.
Honestly today was poor very poor.

Maisey had a shocker absolute shocker.
Again it's all about confidence and he was left out when he hadn't done a lot wrong, then of course the pressure is on him..... different gravy now at this level with so much rotation.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Only Sam T can come away with any real credit today ie I’d give 7 if Ave if 6
Rest 5 ( maybe 1 exception) & below, Sam T punched holes through and Tom Jubb maybe I’d give 6 to.

No leadership out there which was worrying, we were only the better side 41-50 mins, the sin binning (no idea what for as decision was our way and reversed in touch judges view) at 55 killed us.

We kicked too much and straight to them, when they kicked it was to decent touch or made us retreat.

My first away game in years and I’ll be honest it’ll be a while before I do it again, cost & more importantly credits out the book from the wife, weird being at Euston & CCFC fans bouncing around and feeling so deflated.

Very disappointed today, not by the result but by the lack of enthusiasm & ‘effort’ to turn the game around.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Again it's all about confidence and he was left out when he hadn't done a lot wrong, then of course the pressure is on him..... different gravy now at this level with so much rotation.
It’d be interesting to know who made the decision for the 46m pen in the 2nd half he’d already missed 36m pen in front first half, try conversation and kicked like a drain from in hand!
Then he takes this 46m pen and to sum up Richmond fans around me said “let him try agin from where it landed!” It was that poor, not sure what his frame of mind was pre game, after he’d be shattered!

Kneeza

Captain's decision, not Maisey's.
Can't fathom him sometimes though (Maisey). Had a chance to cement his position, and blew it. I know we all have off days, but that was a stinker.
Next weekend's reaction defines the season now.
Really missed Boults out there.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Captain's decision, not Maisey's.
Can't fathom him sometimes though (Maisey). Had a chance to cement his position, and blew it. I know we all have off days, but that was a stinker.
Next weekend's reaction defines the season now.
Really missed Boults out there.

Awful call, it was the final bit of our 10 minutes of dominance at the start of the 2nd half, we’d scored one try had a chance to kick it into their 22 with the lineout to come.
Kick was well short of the posts their 10 sticks it 55m upfield we make a mess of the lineout and that was the game, don’t think we saw the 22m again.

Need to get a grip fast with the wet winter months all but on us!

4 defeats on the bounce if we lose Saturday with a trip to Ealing following would really drop us in trouble.

Ashdown

Oh dear, this thread is starting to look like one about the City after a few reverses !? We do seem to be playing worse away from that excellent home support we get though. Should be there on Saturday and hope we can pull them over the line to a much needed morale boosting win.

Users who are viewing this thread