Coventry RFC Thread 18/19 (3 Viewers)

Kneeza

BTW ISSS, I just followed your link to that blog.
It's not something I have read before, and I see it's been going for some time.
Just my observations:
I have no idea what the kerfuffle stems from, but I feel that the author's use of red bold font, and rather indignant tone lacks rather in the 'class' stakes. He needs to rein that in.
He also appears to relish 'using 100 words where 10 would suffice'. I was nearly nodding off tbh.
It all seems a bit 'look at me'.
Doubt I'll be dipping back in. Sorry. Just my thoughts.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

BTW ISSS, I just followed your link to that blog.
It's not something I have read before, and I see it's been going for some time.
Just my observations:
I have no idea what the kerfuffle stems from, but I feel that the author's use of red bold font, and rather indignant tone lacks rather in the 'class' stakes. He needs to rein that in.
He also appears to relish 'using 100 words where 10 would suffice'. I was nearly nodding off tbh.
It all seems a bit 'look at me'.
Doubt I'll be dipping back in. Sorry. Just my thoughts.

No that’s fair enough, appears Tim has taken the ref abuse and Sharp criticism to heart. But he is 99.9% doesn’t come across that way, always a good read for games I’ve not been at home or away and usually got snippets of news. Shame the first one you’ve read isn’t to your taste, i’ll Let you know when it’s more ‘chilled’. : )

Kneeza

I've had a read through some of the 'blog' now btw. I'll leave it, thanks.
Good that DH is confirmed fit, although there wasn't much doubt at all. Just silly rumours. Nothing new there on the internet though.
Now, just Dawidiuk and Boults to get back in harness and they'll really start to rumble.
Still sticking with fourth.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I've had a read through some of the 'blog' now btw. I'll leave it, thanks.
Good that DH is confirmed fit, although there wasn't much doubt at all. Just silly rumours. Nothing new there on the internet though.
Now, just Dawidiuk and Boults to get back in harness and they'll really start to rumble.
Still sticking with fourth.

Fair enough.

My worry is that in the winter months and ‘up the jumper’ Rugby becomes the order of the day due to conditions we’ll potentially struggle physically.

If the season was played in today’s weather conditions we’d run rings around a lot of these sides!

Ashdown

Decided to work both clubs into my Saturday. Will be watching City live in the pub whilst having a pre match sup for the London Irish game for which we have pre ordered tickets. I don't like early kick offs so in view of attending the Pompey game anyway on Tuesday will do it this way. C'mon Cov, PUSB !
I fear for the result in both games in reality, be fantastic if Cov could maintain their home record and City could at least hold the Mackems.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Decided to work both clubs into my Saturday. Will be watching City live in the pub whilst having a pre match sup for the London Irish game for which we have pre ordered tickets. I don't like early kick offs so in view of attending the Pompey game anyway on Tuesday will do it this way. C'mon Cov, PUSB !
I fear for the result in both games in reality, be fantastic if Cov could maintain their home record and City could at least hold the Mackems.

I’m going to the Railwaymans for the City game and across to the BPA after

Kneeza

I'm quite pleased that Sharp is in (I got that wrong!). He's taken the right attitude and trained exceptionally well since last weekend. Sorry for Maisey though, as he's done nothing wrong at all. His chance will come again, and he'll be even better for it.
Not surprised none of the new guys are in yet though.
If we can start well for a change, it's not inconcievable that we'll sneak a win. But a lot of ifs.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

London Irish:
15 Tom Parton, 14 Topsy Ojo, 13 Brendan Macken, 12 Tom Stephenson, 11 Luke McLean, 10 Stephen Myler, 9 Scott Steele, 1 Gordon Reid, 2 Dave Porecki, 3 Ollie Hoskins, 4 Josh McNally ©, 5 Teofilo Paulo, 6 Jake Schatz, 7 Blair Cowan, 8 Ofisa Treviranus

Replacements:

16 Saia Fainga’a, 17 Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi, 18 Patric Cilliers, 19 Barney Maddison, 20 Matt Rogerson, 21 Ben Meehan, 22 Bryce Campbell

Few internationals in there, didn’t realise Luke McLean was at Irish, current Italian international!

Blair Cowan Scotland

Few England single digit caps in Myler and Ojo!

If there is a score in it last 10 minutes it’ll have been a cracker!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Just wiki

Reid 32 caps Scotland
Schatz 2 Australia
Treviranus 39 Samoa
Cowan 17 Scotland
Myler 2 England
McLean 89 Italy
Ojo 3 England
That’s from starting 15

Good side to beat tomorrow!!

Ashdown

Bit disappointed but nearly a 3000 crowd, a very narrow defeat but the club should have creamed a few quid out of this with significant London Irish support ! ......still struggling with that Chaplin miss as well ! Still.....fine margins !

Kneeza

Happy with that (although we should have won it). Fine margins, silly errors, and too many pens again. As Winter said, we are the new boys and will be pinged more often than not on the marginals. last season we were dominant and more often than not it went the other way. Weather that, and we'll start prevailing more often.
The pack were superb in the first half, but less so in the second, but given we have a new Argentinian prop coming in (and we all know how solid they usually are in the front row), and the second-row situation should improve, we have plenty to look forward to.
Beech continues to fail to impress however. Lazy.
The backs looked well up for it (matching LI's much vaunted backline for much of the game, and both forwards and backs defended like absolute titans.
Much heartened here.

Norman Binns

Another fantastic game to watch right down to the wire again. I think it's a bit harsh on Beech but apart from that agree with everything you said. We competed with a very strong Irish side in every department and it's just really down to these unforced errors and penalty count again. I think before the game most people would have been delighted to come away with a bonus point, even more so denying Irish a bonus point.

I thought Jake Sharp was very good. Some exceptional kicking and he has such good hands. It's his timing, delivery and variety of pass that stands him apart from Maisey in my opinion. There's no doubt the team will take great heart from this result and should fear no-one in this league.

A very impressive crown of just under 3k but I actually thought there were at least as many at this game as there were for the Hull game last season when 3.7 k was recorded. The queues for tickets were huge right up until kick off. I'll be heading down to Richmond next week and it's vital that we get at least a 4-1 win.

Last edited:

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Another cracker at the BPA disappointed to only come away with a point, LI didn’t look that impressive and we quickly stopped any training ground moves (bar the first try off the lineout), thought sharp was very good to be fair, losing voss was a blow.

The fact the Irish fans with the drum only struck up pre game and last 2 minutes says how ‘comfortable’ they were!

On to Richmond next Saturday, my first away game of the season, need 4 points min there.

Last edited:

Norman Binns

Another cracker at the BPA disappointed to only come away with a point, LI didn’t look that impressive and we quickly stopped any training ground moves (bar the first try off the lineout), thought sharp was very good to be fair, losing voss was a blow.

The fact the Irish fans with the drum only struck up pre game and last 2 minutes says how ‘comfortable’ they were!

On to Richmond next Saturday, my first away game of the season, need 4 points min there.
Yep, and the fact that LI from the start of the 2nd half chose to kick for 3 pts from pens within distance instead into the corner for line out and drive shows that they knew they were in game. I always like going to Richmond, there's a nice little pub called the Triple Crown opposite the entrance to the Athletic Ground.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Yep, and the fact that LI from the start of the 2nd half chose to kick for 3 pts from pens within distance instead into the corner for line out and drive shows that they knew they were in game. I always like going to Richmond, there's a nice little pub called the Triple Crown opposite the entrance to the Athletic Ground.

Cheers may have a venture!

Ashdown

No bricks and bottles thrown around after this one I see between supporters. Loads of away fans too which we are not used to. I'm wondering at this rate if they will have to put in another cash turnstile somewhere to cope with the late arrivals ?!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

No bricks and bottles thrown around after this one I see between supporters. Loads of away fans too which we are not used to. I'm wondering at this rate if they will have to put in another cash turnstile somewhere to cope with the late arrivals ?!

Outside bar was still 30/40 deep and 2 portaloos, losing cash as a large number decided against purchasing drinks on the basis of the queue not helped by the fact you can’t see the pitch either.

Yeah decent following from Irish, their fans celebrating at full time was in a ‘we’ve got our of jail’ kind of way.

Still don’t get how a player slipping/lowering himself and the tackler then catching him ‘high’ is a high tackle at the end when their guy slipped on the line and Cov tackled him and they got a penalty even the Irish fans by me said it wasn’t!

wingy

Outside bar was still 30/40 deep and 2 portaloos, losing cash as a large number decided against purchasing drinks on the basis of the queue not helped by the fact you can’t see the pitch either.

Yeah decent following from Irish, their fans celebrating at full time was in a ‘we’ve got our of jail’ kind of way.

Still don’t get how a player slipping/lowering himself and the tackler then catching him ‘high’ is a high tackle at the end when their guy slipped on the line and Cov tackled him and they got a penalty even the Irish fans by me said it wasn’t!
Yes the bar situation definitely needs upgrading
I still managed to wake with a hangover though
It surely is reducing the take
The scoreboard ticking down time is an improvement though a little distracting the way the number rolls and frustratingly still doesn't display OT for or more importantly for the players.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Yes the bar situation definitely needs upgrading
I still managed to wake with a hangover though
It surely is reducing the take
The scoreboard ticking down time is an improvement though a little distracting the way the number rolls and frustratingly still doesn't display OT for or more importantly for the players.

Where I stand I can’t se the screen so have to go by the club twitter updates for the time, they need the little scoreboard that was in the corner last year, stick the score and time on that and place it in the corner in front of where the turnstiles are.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Have to say as well Sharp was our best player yesterday, I guess his playmaking skills are what sets him apart from Maisey? Such a shame for Maisey as he really has been excellent over the last few seasons.

Kneeza

The club are totally aware of the bar limitations, but some things are easier to do than others. They've investedheavily in the playing squad over the last two years, rightly imo, to the possible detriment of ground (minor) developments. However, the latter are not easy, and never 'instant' as even portakabins need planning permission, and with the proposed permanent developments (which are being brought forward if all goes well btw), who would spend (waste) time and money on them?
Re. White's head-high. He made contact above the shoulder, which will always bring a pen now. Fortunately the ref (good game by him) used his noddle and didn't show yellow due to the obvious mitigation.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

The club are totally aware of the bar limitations, but some things are easier to do than others. They've investedheavily in the playing squad over the last two years, rightly imo, to the possible detriment of ground (minor) developments. However, the latter are not easy, and never 'instant' as even portakabins need planning permission, and with the proposed permanent developments (which are being brought forward if all goes well btw), who would spend (waste) time and money on them?
Re. White's head-high. He made contact above the shoulder, which will always bring a pen now. Fortunately the ref (good game by him) used his noddle and didn't show yellow due to the obvious mitigation.

No I get that the ground etc is more important than a few fans not buying drinks but it’s easy money being turned away, 4 non regulars with me yesterday bit of a day out and all commented on it. Casual fans will think of their ‘match day experience’ and head elsewhere in future, they’ve just got to be careful of small factors that may put fans off in future.

Silly rule you can be committed to a tackle the oppo slips 2 feet and you’re penalised for a high tackle.
Ref has a good game yesterday, better than our friend from the Bedford game.

More incomings this week then?

Users who are viewing this thread