Match Thread Coventry City vs Yeovil Town Match Thread - Monday 2nd Apr (1 Viewer)

AlansEyes

Why would he come to Div 4 ?
A fair point, but perhaps if he had a particularly good relationship with Robins after working with him here and at Huddersfield he may have dropped down here? Whether it was Murphy or someone else, our lack of an experienced keeper has been an ongoing issue for several years now and despite Burge, O'Brien, RCC or whoever coming in and playing well for a while, all three have shown that they're liable to a howler every now and then, unfortunately. Although, there is the argument for that being par for the course at this level.

letsallsingtogether

Of course, but if you have a goalkeeper that always has the potential to drop a bollock it puts the defensive unit as a whole under more pressure because they don't have full faith in the bloke behind them.
You can also look at it the other way if the keeper not happy with the defence that then makes him edgy.
There are 4 of them he is Johnny no mates.
Plus all keepers have the same potential

letsallsingtogether

Well that's clearly not true, some have more potential than others. You never know until they play and play regularly.
Burge is average, nothing more nothing less. He'll save us one day and cost us another.
Yes but even the best fuck up just look at the England team over the last 20 years.

nmp2327

At least Robins tried to change the balance of the game with his substitutions on each occasion we looked like we had a chance to make a comeback only to be set back by a further goal. Just a bad day at the office, Yeovil could play here again and again and never have such good fortune as they had today. PUSB and keep the faith.

Otis

At least Robins tried to change the balance of the game with his substitutions on each occasion we looked like we had a chance to make a comeback only to be set back by a further goal. Just a bad day at the office, Yeovil could play here again and again and never have such good fortune as they had today. PUSB and keep the faith.
We we literally gave them 3 goals in the first 15 mins.

Hobo

We had a diabolical 15 minutes 0-3 down. We showed some spirit fought back and created chances, but inevitably left spaces at the back. It is done. It is gone. File it and move on, still lots to play for.

stevefloyd

Well we have all had a gripe now, lets try and look forward again, we are still in the hunt Biamous atm found his scoring boots, we looked like we could score almost every time we attacked today, they should all bollock themselves and be out to prove a point next week (lets hope they prove 3 points), I thought Reid had a fairly decent game except for 1 or 2 cock ups, his corners were shite though but only on par with just about everybody else that has taken them.
Onwards and upwards again this game has gone its the next 6 games we care about now...thats about as much positivity I can muster today now

Grendel

Burge at fault for grimmers mistake!!!!!!!!!! Bloody hell mate. Grimmer and grimmer alone at fault for that. What chance did Haynes miss and which goals was he at fault for?

Haynes was abject in preventing the cross that led to the first goal and if Stokes was playing goal 2 wouldn’t have happened

Mucca Mad Boys

Haynes was abject in preventing the cross that led to the first goal and if Stokes was playing goal 2 wouldn’t have happened

In that defensive display, you single out Haynes?

- Not Hyam for the 2nd and 4th goals? (In fairness, the 4th he was left open because we were going all out)
- Not Grimmer for a terrible, underpowered header that their striker got to for a tap in for their 3rd?
- not McDonald for missing a header at the far post for their 5th (or his role in the second)?

Haynes played badly today, no doubt about that, he got skinned a few times. But, he’s the only defender not directly responsible for a goal.

FYI, below is a screenshot of the cross leading to their 1st goal. It was actually Grimmer and Reid who failed to prevent the cross, not Haynes. So, by your standards, Grimmer is actually responsible for 2 goals.

Attachments

• C9C6FF0B-B2F4-4AC6-BADA-386BDACA04AE.png
    C9C6FF0B-B2F4-4AC6-BADA-386BDACA04AE.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 26

Cavan O'Doherty

As I’ve always said, Burge is not the answer. It’s been a problem for many a year now and needs to be sorted in the summer once and for all. He’s cost us more than enough points this season and an error is always around the corner. His mistake set the tone for the rest of the game. As the saying goes, start as you mean to go on!

oscillatewildly

Had operation on Thursday so not well enough to go today, how lucky am I
Don't know - depends on the nature of your operation and the care you received in the op theatre. If you went in to have your tonsils removed and then some joker turned the trolley around 180 degs once you were under anaesthetic then I'd say "Give me a 6-2 thumping every other week".
Then again, 'Every cloud', etc. - You could relaunch yourself as an Aled Jones tribute act.

gspotgaz

We were actually so close to making it 4-3 as well with 3 clear cut chances but it wouldn’t go in, one of the strangest games I’ve seen in a while. Can’t believe how fragile our confidence was

SlowerThanPlatt

As I’ve always said, Burge is not the answer. It’s been a problem for many a year now and needs to be sorted in the summer once and for all. He’s cost us more than enough points this season and an error is always around the corner. His mistake set the tone for the rest of the game. As the saying goes, start as you mean to go on!

Who do you suggest we replace him with?

Winny the Bish

Some notes on the game:

- God that was awful. The entire defensive unit was poor, no incisive passing from the midfield or any real work between the lines, and JCH & McNulty both looked lazy in the first half which didn't help.
- Hyam is our 4th choice CB for a reason. Too slow and looks scared with the ball at his feet. If Davies is fit enough to be on the bench he should be straight back in the starting xi.
- Vincenti shouldn't start. Unless we have a set piece he's a liability on the pitch.
- Neither Burge nor O'Brien are great. In an ideal world we'd have a different No.1 but this is League Two and I'm not sure we've played against a quality keeper all season. Would probs still start Burge.
- Kyel Reid might be best as an impact sub. Like a closing pitcher in baseball, coming off the bench seems to suit him best.
- Biamou, McNulty & JCH on the pitch together looked dangerous. A 4-3-1-2 or 5-2-3 could be the answer if Robins wasn't so scared when it came to tactics.
- Can we stop playing 4-4-FUCKING-2. It isn't 1996 anymore. Our spacing, play between the lines, press, and off-the-ball runs are all non-existent. It is infuriating.
- If we don't make the Playoffs then I think #RobinsOut is completely fair.
- If we were in mid-table, safe but couldn't make Playoffs, I would drop the entire back 5 for the next game and see what some of the youngers have to offer. Grimmer & McDonald both look like they need a rest.

I think that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread