Match Thread Coventry City vs Yeovil Town Match Thread - Monday 2nd Apr (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

The second goal was supplied to the player on Haynes side and once hyam misplaced the pass should have been in a position to provide cover. McDonald was up against two forwards On

Zoko (their striker) scores their second, who was in fact McDonald’s man. It’s not a full back’s job to mark strikers in open play. Also, the ball came down right side of the field so if any full back could’ve made a difference, it was Grimmer. Who happened to be very lackadaisical tracking back. If he tracks back, their player doesn’t have the option to go round Hyam, and McDonald can stay on his man. Stokes does not make a difference here.

Blaming it on either fullback let’s the following off;

- Doyle being robbed in CM because there wasn’t a free pass for him, where was Bayliss or the full backs offering an outlet?
- Hyam being all over the place, I don’t think Willis makes a hash of that.
- McDonald half heartedly attempts to close the striker with the ball, but in doing so leave Zoko wide open with no one around him for a decent finish.

Again, singling our Haynes is dumb, all the other defenders and GK made mistakes directly leading to goals.

Go and rewatch the replays, your first hand account is about as reliable as a politician.

skybluesam66

Doyle was awful for goal 2 - nobody else's fault
Cant get robbed in possession like that when not under pressure

It just seems however that Coco in goal leaves the team with zero confidence when he is flapping like that

Nick

Administrator

It just seems however that Coco in goal leaves the team with zero confidence when he is flapping like that

Am I missing something or was Doyle not under pressure before he even received the ball?

Grendel

Am I missing something or was Doyle not under pressure before he even received the ball?

Yeah it was a hospital pass from hyam

LilleSkyBlue

That's an appalling result from a game most of us probably thought we'd win. Here's how I saw it.

First, our keeper dropped the ball. A mistake. It looked like we could have done better keeping it out of the net after his fumble as well, though. At that stage there was still every chance we'd pull ourselves back into it, particularly as we were playing okay.

The second seemed to come from Doyle stubbornly refusing to pass when the whole stadium could see, under pressure, he was about to play us into danger. But something seemed to go wrong with our defence right after too and then Burge, desperately exposed, committed himself too early. Or so it looked. Had their minds snapped?

I didn't see the third at all (cup of tea) and will wait for the highlights.

Thing is, alongside these atypical defensive blunders, McNulty missed a pretty easy-looking header, Vincenti spooned wildly through a difficult volley-chance and Bayliss and Reid were looking all right. I've seen far, far worse performances this season (both Accringtons, Morecambe, Exeter away, Forest Green home, Mansfield home etc) and the Yeovil defence was suspect. It was turning into an end-to-end game with the Yeovil front trio looking unplayable for some reason. I though Browne and Green were superb - Jordan Green (No 15) man of the match by a margin.

Obviously Biamou's goal, deserved, made many of us think the game was back on. It felt like their luck might have run out (make no mistake, there's plenty of luck needed to go 3-0 up away without being a significantly better side) and we were still playing okay. But then their fourth... just another punt and Zoko outpaced Hyam. That doesn't work as often as the ease of their goal might have you think. Plus - it was this goal or was it the fifth? - why did McDonald push deep into their half, constantly looking up, then simply play a highly risky crossfield ball to no one in particular? Another moment of rare distraction from our normally good defence.

Okay, I'm angry, but there was a lot of punt, hammer and whack about Yeovil too. Thing is, with tons of luck, their forwards were visibly becoming more and more confident. Fisher too manoeuvred us about as he pleased with his large frame. Biamou's second was a flash of bliss, tempered fast with the sputtering realisation that we were still two behind.

As for their last two - we shouldn't be conceding two to Yeovil full stop- by now they were so confident that every attack looked like it would produce a goal. Their strikers honestly could have been playing for Real Madrid's reserves yesterday. That said, we were constantly dangerous too and a fairer result might have been 3-3. Pity about our ceaseless, inexplicable, season-defining mistakes.

Whole week now ruined.

Terry_dactyl

I’ve only just plucked up the courage to watch the ‘highlights’.
Wow! Burge had better be injured after that performance. The first was awful obviously but, and I may be wrong, does he actually dive the wrong way for the second?
Looked to me that o’brien Should have saved at least one in the second half.
Watching hyam getting out paced...He must have known that bloke had the legs on him, why then is he trying to beat him to the ball as opposed to running straight back in to position to defend? Grrrrrr.
Having seen us getting mostly battered in the second half against Newport is this a worrying trend? Think FGR and Accrington...
The one saving grace is that while our results have been inconsistent over the whole of the season, this result is somewhat of an anomaly.

Otis

Wow! Burge had better be injured after that performance. The first was awful obviously but, and I may be wrong, does he actually dive the wrong way for the second?
Watching hyam getting out paced...He must have known that bloke had the legs on him, why then is he trying to beat him to the ball as opposed to running straight back in to position to defend? Grrrrrr.
Having seen us getting mostly battered in the second half against Newport is this a worrying trend? Think FGR and Accrington...
The one saving grace is that while our results have been inconsistent over the whole of the season, this result is somewhat of an anomaly.
Or the first in a sequence of them. ;)

Londonccfcfan

Well done to everyone who has replayed the highlights that takes courage of the highest order. Still cant do it.

Otis

Yep, done it.

Dreadful from Burge for the first. Bad pass from Hyam to Doyle (though Doyle should have done much better) for the second and also McDonald inexplicably is drawn like a moth to the flame and leaves their striker completely free and unmarked.

Third one seems purely down to a bad header from Grimmer. Fourth one Hyam is embarrassingly outpaced and the fifth one LOB should have done much better.

Adge

I still can’t get my head around that people were banging the drum lately regarding 3rd place still. Up until yesterday’s fiasco we had still lost 12 games which equates to roughly a 1 out of every 4 games loss, and people though we were going to win or remain unbeaten till the end!:banghead:
Similarly Exeter, which again is the reason that they will not go up automatically.

Londonccfcfan

Yep, done it.

Dreadful from Burge for the first. Bad pass from Hyam to Doyle (though Doyle should have done much better) for the second and also McDonald inexplicably is drawn like a moth to the flame and leaves their striker completely free and unmarked.

Third one seems purely down to a bad header from Grimmer. Fourth one Hyam is embarrassingly outpaced and the fifth one LOB should have done much better.
Conspiracy theory i domt think rod likes Doyle much and wanted that punished. Inexplicable but true.

Londonccfcfan

It was just a dreadful brainless error more out of panic than anything in my eyes though. I’d never accuse a player of fucking up on purpose
McDonald had clear vision of him and could see there was no one else defending that side. Yet he invited him to score.

Id like to think its just complete brain fade.

wingy

COCO I have the Benny Hill theme Music running around my head here. :p

Londonccfcfan

It’s not important or relevant but looked back onn this thread and cannot see how Biamou hit the crossbar post? I left after their 5th, canno5 see anything on extended highlights either? Just a brief synopsis if anyone can be bothered. Who set him up?

Otis

It’s not important or relevant but looked back onn this thread and cannot see how Biamou hit the crossbar post? I left after their 5th, canno5 see anything on extended highlights either? Just a brief synopsis if anyone can be bothered. Who set him up?
My guess is a corrupt police officer.

I left after the 5th goal too, so only heard it on Clive Eakin's commentary.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
still lost for words following this result.......... with so much at stake .................

stevefloyd

Seems as though they thought they could walk it past Yeovil but it came back and bit them big style...lets hope they make Amends on Saturday

Users who are viewing this thread