Match Thread Coventry City vs. Wycombe Wanderers Match Thread - Saturday 13th Oct (1 Viewer)

MatthewWallis

Seems this game is on iFollow for UK tomorrow, anyone know why?

Esoterica

Still remember Jack Finch did a job too.

Didn't Hyam play against him one game as well? It is the runners that are harder to track, it will mean hard work from Thomas or whoever plays on the left to follow their man. Thomas has a habit of giving up between half way and our box.
Yeah, think it was Hyam and McDonald in the away fixture last season - was when Davies was out with his collarbone and Willis suspended for the early red at Mansfield. Probably McDonald's last really good game for us.

Esoterica

Yeah he played the role he’s played most his career the last few games of last season. He’s wasn’t a natural deep enforcer, it looks like something MR is/was asking him to do.

The play offs game at Notts County is what he does best naturally

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Robins confirms it in his interview after the FGR game that both Kelly and Ogogo are being asked to play roles that they don't like and curb their natural game. Was obvious for most of the season last year - his movements were too repetitive and scripted, from his starting position on the pitch mirroring Doyle, to the way he would always drop into right back to cover Grimmer going forward.

Johhny Blue

I would still start with the Charlton starting lineup. We have to because MR will always pick Doyle, and that and Bayliss's poor form reduces the room for change.
So

Burge
Sterling Davies Willis Brown (I'd prefer Mason but see point above)
Thomas Kelly Doyle Bayliss (I'd prefer Bayliss instead of Doyle and Hiwula or JJ on the left but MR won't do that)
JCH Chaplin (Bayaoko didn't do much against FGR, maybe super-sub at this stage, JCH needs to deliver one of his good performances)

1-0, don't care who scores but Chaplin must be short odds
I’d like to see Bayliss tried in a more forward role (Dennis Mortimer?) He seems to beat the first player with ease. If that fitst player happened to be the last defender, who knows???

johnwillomagic

Hmm a tricky one I think for team this game think I would go with the following.

Burge
Sterling RB
Brown LB (not that he really deserves it)
Willis CB
Davies CB
Thomas LW
Doyle CM
Bayliss CM (not that he really deserves it)
Hiwula RW
Bakayoko ST
Chaplin ST

Subs: O'Brien, Mason, Hyam, Kelly, Shipley, Jones, JCH

chiefdave

Back 4 likely to be the same as we don't really have much in the way of options at the moment. Reckon he'll stick with Bayliss rather than start Kelly, certainly won't be dropping Doyle.

Up front is the interesting one. Bakayoko surely has to play so if you assume he starts do you go with JCH or Chaplin. I'd probably start with Chaplin.

Johhny Blue

Back 4 likely to be the same as we don't really have much in the way of options at the moment. Reckon he'll stick with Bayliss rather than start Kelly, certainly won't be dropping Doyle.

Up front is the interesting one. Bakayoko surely has to play so if you assume he starts do you go with JCH or Chaplin. I'd probably start with Chaplin.
Don't think Baka is an automatic start. He may have the supersub role again.

fernandopartridge

Really? While I don't disagree with your assessment of Doyle, I'm not sure I've ever seen Kelly make a tackle. He is one of the modern type of midfielders that hold English football back - while I acknowledge he has some ability, he basically just sits deep playing safe passes, but rarely gets forward or impacts the game positively. His best spell last season in the play offs coincided when the whole team were playing well and he got carried along with that, but I see him as a real liability when we are up against it like at Bristol Rovers a few weeks back, and I think in such games he hides behind Doyle, and doesn't look to receive the ball, leaving Doyle to battle on, on his own in midfield
You've not watched many games then. Kelly makes far more tackles than Doyle ever has

MatthewWallis

International break I think. It was the same when we were on Sky against Oxford (but the games on the Saturdays as they were pissed off about it)

Thought it was a law that prevented 3pm games being broadcast, or are they just picking and choosing when it suits premier league teams?

chiefdave

Thought it was a law that prevented 3pm games being broadcast, or are they just picking and choosing when it suits premier league teams?
Bizarrely it goes back to the chairman of Burnley in the 1960s who thought having games on TV would mean all the grounds were empty. As all games were then played at 3pm on Saturday the Football Law created a rule that any games at that time couldn't be broadcast. It also applied to games covered by the FA, at the time the FA Cup but now covers the Prem as well. Somehow, presumably as part of the rights sold they have also managed to block overseas games being shown. There's no law stopping it as such.

Before you ask an exception was added for the FA Cup Final.

The EU have looked in to it and said the data available when looking at other European leagues doesn't back up the theory that live games have a great impact on attendance but as we're now leaving I doubt they'll take it any further. Ofcom have also been looking in to it as part of an investigation in to football rights in general.

In one of the article on the club website about follow it said we were a club that had objected to 3pm games being streamed. Not sure why, not like we don't need all the revenue we can get. Can't imagine anyone who can get to the game thinks staying at home to watch a single camera feed with Clive and Geoff over the top is a better option.

Adge

Missing out on this one as I’m at a game myself. Hoping for a 3-1 to try and get/keep a bit of momentum going.

Legia Sky Blue

You've not watched many games then. Kelly makes far more tackles than Doyle ever has

Watched just about every game. I just haven't seen this hard tackling no nonsense player that you and others seem to think he is. In the odd game where he has played without Doyle, this season & last, he & the team have been completely ineffectual. I think there is potential in him, but other than at the end of last season I don't think he has been that great. He seems too passive to me and not dynamic enough to properly influence games. I know some allude to this being team orders from Robins, but I would like to see him take more responsibility in games, demand the ball and mix it up a bit by playing a few longer passes, rather than the safety first option, which tends to be his first instinct and often is a root cause for when our build up play is too slow.

Nick

Administrator
Watched just about every game. I just haven't seen this hard tackling no nonsense player that you and others seem to think he is. In the odd game where he has played without Doyle, this season & last, he & the team have been completely ineffectual. I think there is potential in him, but other than at the end of last season I don't think he has been that great. He seems too passive to me and not dynamic enough to properly influence games. I know some allude to this being team orders from Robins, but I would like to see him take more responsibility in games, demand the ball and mix it up a bit by playing a few longer passes, rather than the safety first option, which tends to be his first instinct and often is a root cause for when our build up play is too slow.

I don't think anybody has said he is a tough tackler sort of player. He isn't the sort putting in 10 crunchers a game and enforcing. Compare how many crunchers he has put in compared to Doyle though.

The start of last season he was playing very deep mostly in the first half of games, second half he would go forward a bit more (no co-incidence we did well in the second halves). Then towards the end of the season he was playing more advanced for most of game.

I thought he was too defensive for most of it and too negative, he moves forward 20 - 25 yards and he is a completely different player who then starts getting assists and a goal.

no_loyalty

I think today's team will be:-

Burge
Sterling
Willis
Davies
Brown
Doyle
Kelly
Bayliss
Thomas
JCH
Chaplin

Subs: O'Brien, Hyam, Ogogo, Jones, Andreu, Hiwula, Bakayoko

SkyBlueMatt

I'm feeling strangely confident about the game today. I've even included Cov in my accumulator, so I apologise in advance!! It's an important game, a win would give us some breathing space from those below us.

2-0 with Chaplin starting to silence the haters.

Legia Sky Blue

I don't think anybody has said he is a tough tackler sort of player. He isn't the sort putting in 10 crunchers a game and enforcing. Compare how many crunchers he has put in compared to Doyle though.

The start of last season he was playing very deep mostly in the first half of games, second half he would go forward a bit more (no co-incidence we did well in the second halves). Then towards the end of the season he was playing more advanced for most of game.

I thought he was too defensive for most of it and too negative, he moves forward 20 - 25 yards and he is a completely different player who then starts getting assists and a goal.

I don't disagree - he has ability for sure. The question is whether it is team orders or his own natural instincts that lead him to err onto the negative side. Incidentally I think Robins will start with the same team as at Charlton last week.

steve82

They had a decent left back last year, does he still play? Scored a few.

Joe Jacobson is your man, 2 assists (from corners) and 2 goals* (x2 pens) he’s also missed a pen this season.

* updated to 3 goals all pens this season

Last edited:

steve82

Some encouraging stats for today’s game, Coventry have won the last 5 matches v Wycombe. Last defeat was in 93 in a cup game, which we won on aggregate anyway.
Wycombe have lost all three visits to Coventry, each occasion conceding 2+ goals a game. Also Mark Robins has only lost one of his last 6 games against Wycombe.

I’ll go with a 2-1 win. Chaplin and finally a rare Tom Davies goal, with a unchanged side from Charlton

Last edited:

letsallsingtogether

See a 3-1 win today.
Quick start nothing to show for it, then second half boom .....

Users who are viewing this thread