Match Thread Coventry City vs. Wycombe Wanderers Match Thread - Saturday 13th Oct (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

I'd like to see Hiwula play up front instead of JCH, he's fairly big and strong and might make some runs into the channel to help stretch the game out a bit. That said, JCH is useful at the back defending corners, particularly against a big team like Wycombe.

Otherwise

Burge
Sterling
Davies
Willis
Brown
Doyle
Kelly
Bayliss
Thomas
Chaplin
Hiwula

and I think that's what will swing Robins to include him.

Ricketts

5-0 City.

Not only Chaplin to score a brace but also probably the best player we have on the pitch who has never scored, Luke Thomas, will get two.

A defender with the fifth, not sure who it will be though, the tea leaves a bit shaky.

standupforcity

Team selection is up in the air for tomorrow I think. But I believe we have enough strength in depth to make this a difficult visit for Wycombe. City 3-0

Gibbo

I would still start with the Charlton starting lineup. We have to because MR will always pick Doyle, and that and Bayliss's poor form reduces the room for change.
So

Burge
Sterling Davies Willis Brown (I'd prefer Mason but see point above)
Thomas Kelly Doyle Bayliss (I'd prefer Bayliss instead of Doyle and Hiwula or JJ on the left but MR won't do that)
JCH Chaplin (Bayaoko didn't do much against FGR, maybe super-sub at this stage, JCH needs to deliver one of his good performances)

1-0, don't care who scores but Chaplin must be short odds

Esoterica

I would still start with the Charlton starting lineup. We have to because MR will always pick Doyle, and that and Bayliss's poor form reduces the room for change.
So

Burge
Sterling Davies Willis Brown (I'd prefer Mason but see point above)
Thomas Kelly Doyle Bayliss (I'd prefer Bayliss instead of Doyle and Hiwula or JJ on the left but MR won't do that)
JCH Chaplin (Bayaoko didn't do much against FGR, maybe super-sub at this stage, JCH needs to deliver one of his good performances)

1-0, don't care who scores but Chaplin must be short odds
Actually think Doyle will have one of his better games tomorrow. He'll be stood on Akinfenwa's toes all game stopping him getting the ball to feet and picking up his knock downs. His anticipation is very good in those situations and it won't involve him having to cover huge distances. He looked good against Gillingham too while they were going very direct to Tom Eaves.

Nick

Administrator
If somebody snaps Akinfenwa they get a 10 from me. Even if they score 5 own goals and miss a penalty.

Sky_Blue_Daz

City to win 2-0 Doyle and Chaplin to score

Esoterica

If somebody snaps Akinfenwa they get a 10 from me. Even if they score 5 own goals and miss a penalty.
Doyle will do a job on him.
giphy.gif

fernandopartridge

Not so sure, he's been a bit of a pussy so far in this league.

It's like he is playing against Harry Pell every week who bullies him every time.

Doyle's never been a hard tackler, he is more of an annoying terrier type player. Kelly is a far more effective ball winner and can do the strong challenges.

Great_Expectations

I'd like to see Hiwula play up front instead of JCH, he's fairly big and strong and might make some runs into the channel to help stretch the game out a bit. That said, JCH is useful at the back defending corners, particularly against a big team like Wycombe.

Otherwise

Burge
Sterling
Davies
Willis
Brown
Doyle
Kelly
Bayliss
Thomas
Chaplin
Hiwula

I’d like to see a Chaplin-Hiwula partnership too. Both have good movement, pace and are tricky players to mark. However it would be heavily reliant on us playing football tomorrow i.e. with positive intent, on the ground or looking for balls over the top to maximise the pace we have, without it becoming hoofball. We’d need our creative players to really step up and Kelly be allowed a bit more freedom in the middle.

I also think Thomas is a key player for us, I know he’s lacking in end product, but he’s a great outlet, his pace scares defenders and his defensive awareness is also impressive. Much better than Jones’.

3-0 City, why not.

Gibbo

I’d like to see a Chaplin-Hiwula partnership too. Both have good movement, pace and are tricky players to mark. However it would be heavily reliant on us playing football tomorrow i.e. with positive intent, on the ground or looking for balls over the top to maximise the pace we have, without it becoming hoofball. We’d need our creative players to really step up and Kelly be allowed a bit more freedom in the middle.

I also think Thomas is a key player for us, I know he’s lacking in end product, but he’s a great outlet, his pace scares defenders and his defensive awareness is also impressive. Much better than Jones’.

3-0 City, why not.
Except the winning move at Charlton was begun by a classic big man knock down. Both goals involved sharp crossing from the wing and a big man getting in there. Only JCH and Bayaoko fit that brief). Who is going to fight for Doyle's inevitable hoof balls?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I'd like to see Mason at LB assuming he's fit enough, but guessing it will be Brown seeing as MR said Mason was blowing out his arse after an hour v FGR
The Victorians believed that blowing smoke up an arse was a good for the health. How times have changed.

Ricketts

Play a high defensive line and Akinfenwa won't be in the game. There is no way he can run more than 10 yards, and I would even bet Nick's phoney money that Willis can outrun him over any distance.

Legia Sky Blue

Doyle's never been a hard tackler, he is more of an annoying terrier type player. Kelly is a far more effective ball winner and can do the strong challenges.

Really? While I don't disagree with your assessment of Doyle, I'm not sure I've ever seen Kelly make a tackle. He is one of the modern type of midfielders that hold English football back - while I acknowledge he has some ability, he basically just sits deep playing safe passes, but rarely gets forward or impacts the game positively. His best spell last season in the play offs coincided when the whole team were playing well and he got carried along with that, but I see him as a real liability when we are up against it like at Bristol Rovers a few weeks back, and I think in such games he hides behind Doyle, and doesn't look to receive the ball, leaving Doyle to battle on, on his own in midfield

Nick

Administrator
Really? While I don't disagree with your assessment of Doyle, I'm not sure I've ever seen Kelly make a tackle. He is one of the modern type of midfielders that hold English football back - while I acknowledge he has some ability, he basically just sits deep playing safe passes, but rarely gets forward or impacts the game positively. His best spell last season in the play offs coincided when the whole team were playing well and he got carried along with that, but I see him as a real liability when we are up against it like at Bristol Rovers a few weeks back, and I think in such games he hides behind Doyle, and doesn't look to receive the ball, leaving Doyle to battle on, on his own in midfield
I think I've seen Kelly put in a couple of crunchers.

skyblueelephant76

He sits deep because that's where Robins tells him to play. When he's given license to play further forward he looks good. I've never seen him hide or not want the ball and still think he'll be an important player for us this season. He had a slow start after he came back from injury last season but once he found form he was excellent.

Nick

Administrator
He sits deep because that's where Robins tells him to play. When he's given license to play further forward he looks good. I've never seen him hide or not want the ball and still think he'll be an important player for us this season. He had a slow start after he came back from injury last season but once he found form he was excellent.
After, tail end of last season he was a different player

Great_Expectations

Except the winning move at Charlton was begun by a classic big man knock down. Both goals involved sharp crossing from the wing and a big man getting in there. Only JCH and Bayaoko fit that brief). Who is going to fight for Doyle's inevitable hoof balls?

Correct, the winning goal did, but (genuine question) can you recall any other goals, or even chances from a similar set up? And I’d argue the first goal wasn’t specific to being a big man at all, it was a poachers goal.

I understand the Doyle hoof ball point, but that’s literally my argument, avoid hoof ball and play football.

steve82

After, tail end of last season he was a different player

Yeah he played the role he’s played most his career the last few games of last season. He’s wasn’t a natural deep enforcer, it looks like something MR is/was asking him to do.

The play offs game at Notts County is what he does best naturally

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Esoterica

Play a high defensive line and Akinfenwa won't be in the game. There is no way he can run more than 10 yards, and I would even bet Nick's phoney money that Willis can outrun him over any distance.
We did it superbly last season at their place - manoeuvred him to the edge of the centre circle for a lot of the match. It's not without risk as they often play with 2 or 3 runners beyond him, gambling on low flat balls that he flicks on but it's harder to get that kind of trajectory when the play is squashed up into a small space, so expect a lot of diagonal balls from the fullbacks at him. Davies behind, Doyle on his toes and Willis anticipating the flick ons and we should be fine.

Nick

Administrator
We did it superbly last season at their place - manoeuvred him to the edge of the centre circle for a lot of the match. It's not without risk as they often play with 2 or 3 runners beyond him, gambling on low flat balls that he flicks on but it's harder to get that kind of trajectory when the play is squashed up into a small space, so expect a lot of diagonal balls from the fullbacks at him. Davies behind, Doyle on his toes and Willis anticipating the flick ons and we should be fine.

Still remember Jack Finch did a job too.

Didn't Hyam play against him one game as well? It is the runners that are harder to track, it will mean hard work from Thomas or whoever plays on the left to follow their man. Thomas has a habit of giving up between half way and our box.

Users who are viewing this thread