Match Thread Coventry City vs. Southend United Match Thread - Saturday 29th Dec (6 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Discuss the Coventry City vs. Southend United match, tactics and predictions :)

Otis

Yep. If Doyle is fit that's a dead cert I think and I thought Shipley had a much better game than of late, so I think there might be just the two changes , Doyle for Thomas and Brown for Mason.

1-1 draw and 4 points from 2 games won't be a bad return at all.

Chaplin.

cooperskyblue

I'd play the same team but ofcourse Thomas looks like he will be out so I think Bayliss on the right and Doyle back in would be a the best option.

Thought Hiwula worked hard yesterday playing down the middle.

Otis

I'd play the same team but ofcourse Thomas looks like he will be out so I think Bayliss on the right and Doyle back in would be a the best option.

Thought Hiwula worked hard yesterday playing down the middle.
Mason will surely be out too.

Great_Expectations

Keep the team the same, but bring in Allessani for Thomas. That’s one direct change, as opposed to moving Bayliss out wide and changing the middle too. As much as I like Doyle, bringing him back would mean a defensive middle two, without the direct and attacking intent Bayliss can bring.

Allessani may not be ready, but he’s the more like for like change, which means we can keep the same high press tactics as yesterday.

I really hope we don’t see JCH up front and Hiwula out wide, as Hiwula and Chaplin can cause issues with their movement, and given time together can be an effective L1 partnership.

Spurs 'City Away Kit' Kit

It would be good to keep the team as consistent as possible following the Charlton game, I thought we played with a bit more creativity and thought into attacks without JCH, although he does offer a bit more defending corners and set pieces. I would like to see Allassani starting and keeping the middle of the park the same.

clint van damme

Keep the team the same, but bring in Allessani for Thomas. That’s one direct change, as opposed to moving Bayliss out wide and changing the middle too. As much as I like Doyle, bringing him back would mean a defensive middle two, without the direct and attacking intent Bayliss can bring.

Allessani may not be ready, but he’s the more like for like change, which means we can keep the same high press tactics as yesterday.

I really hope we don’t see JCH up front and Hiwula out wide, as Hiwula and Chaplin can cause issues with their movement, and given time together can be an effective L1 partnership.

There's logic to what you're saying but I just don't see Robins starting Allessani.

Irish Sky Blue

I did wonder if Robins brought JCH on yesterday as much for his defensive qualities as his attacking ones. Charlton won 4 headers in our box for their goal. If JCH had of been on the pitch would we have conceded?

Nick

Administrator
I did wonder if Robins brought JCH on yesterday as much for his defensive qualities as his attacking ones. Charlton won 4 headers in our box for their goal. If JCH had of been on the pitch would we have conceded?
We did against Shrewsbury

Philosorapter

Coventry City vs Southend United

IMG_2251.PNG IMG_2252.PNG

Coventry City (1480)
Best (1586) on 27 Oct 2018

Win (1500) +20
Draw (1481) +1
Loss (1462) -18

Another home match where we have already beaten the opposition at their ground.

According to Glicko, Southend hasn't registered a point in the league against teams who are currently playing at, or above, Coventry's best strength of (1586).

Last edited:

Legia Sky Blue

When we're talking about a big strength of one of our strikers being defensive headers, well...

Of course it shouldn't be relevant in an ideal world but for League 1 team we have our share of short arses in the team, and although our central defenders are as good as any in this league, not playing JCH does leave us very vulnerable at set pieces against the bigger teams in the league. MR has to balance that against his lack of goal threat in deciding what is best for the team. I can't remember if Southend are a big team or not, but Wycombe on New Years Day will definitely pose a physical threat and I think JCH will definitely be starting that match.

johnwillomagic

Think it will probably be the following.

Burge. Gk
Mason. Lb
Sterling. Rb
Hyam. Cb
Willis. Cb
Kelly. CM
Doyle. Cm
Baylis. Rm
Shipley. Lm
Hiwula. St
Chaplin. St

Subs: addai, grimmer, Davies, brown, ogogo, allesani, JCH

Nick

Administrator
The issue is that Doyle usually holds Kelly back. He will demand the ball to give it to the full back.

pusbccfc

He'll bring JCH in and put Hiwula on the right.

Limey

I'd like to see him go for Allasanni. Doyle/Kelly/Shipley sounds like a lot of huff and puff but no product.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

That’s a bad thing? You would want him not to be good in our own box? You just wouldn’t want him back for corners and free kicks?

It's not really the point.

It's more the fact that we are grading our strikers on how well they defend which I'm finding slightly amusing given that they've been struggling to do their real jobs.

Paxman II

A win is expected now and we should win this one. Tougher than itlooks on paper but think we will have too much for Southend.
2-0

standupforcity

Move Sterling up the park and bring in Grimmer. You can also make these two interchangeable during the game...they both have a good cross ball, which is missing from Thomas's game...

Warwickhunt

Think he might put bayliss on the right and Doyle back in the middle.
What about playing “The Grimmer Man” and “Sterling” right sided midfield? I thought he had a really influential game against Charlton!

Nick

Administrator
I prefer Sterling at Right Back, he is more solid defensively.

We tried the Sterling thing attacking against Oxford and it didn't really work.

Users who are viewing this thread