Match Thread Coventry City vs. Southend United Match Thread - Saturday 29th Dec (1 Viewer)

Spurs 'City Away Kit' Kit

Not read the thread so all this has probably been said already ...... great win. Second half especially good. Hiwula has to play number 9, Stirling brilliant, mason also had a great game. Hyam outstanding. Kelly showing similar form to the end of last season. Getting a bit frustrated with Shipley. Like us using JCH as an impact sub battering ram. Chaplin I still believe in - fingers crossed it’ll click soon. Oh and 442 is the answer!!!!
Great thoughts, mine exactly!

fernandopartridge

Have to be happy with that result. We were nothing like as fluid as we were against Charlton, but still worth the win, just, imho.

The only thing I don't quite get is swapping the left backs over with twenty or so to go, again. To me that's a waste of a substitution if it's simply like for like, and I think that sooner or later it will come back to bite us. Maybe I'm missing something in fairness.

Also the tippy-tappy throw-ins have to go if they're not working. If all else fails chuck it down the line and look to make ground (aka, Sunday League rules). Getting it back on the volley with fourteen stone of meat and gristle charging at you is beyond the technique of most players at this level, imho.

So, not pretty, but another three points in the bag. Merry Christmas!
Mason went off with cramp on boxing day. I thought we looked better for it then. Agree though as it's not usually a good move.

clint van damme

Just seen the highlights. Grendel and nick and others have you seen how close chaplin’s right foot shot was??

He should have hit the target from there though mate.
I'm really rooting for him and hoping he comes good but missing the target from there isn't acceptable.

stevefloyd

Have to be happy with that result. We were nothing like as fluid as we were against Charlton, but still worth the win, just, imho.

The only thing I don't quite get is swapping the left backs over with twenty or so to go, again. To me that's a waste of a substitution if it's simply like for like, and I think that sooner or later it will come back to bite us. Maybe I'm missing something in fairness.

Also the tippy-tappy throw-ins have to go if they're not working. If all else fails chuck it down the line and look to make ground (aka, Sunday League rules). Getting it back on the volley with fourteen stone of meat and gristle charging at you is beyond the technique of most players at this level, imho.

So, not pretty, but another three points in the bag. Merry Christmas!
Maybe Mason after recently coming back from injury was feeling it and it was a wise substitution !!

CCFCSteve

He should have hit the target from both.

The volley definitely, the effort for outside the area was decent enough. If that had been a yard to the left it would’ve been a great goal (took ball on half turn, cut inside and a good strike)

Gibbo

The volley definitely, the effort for outside the area was decent enough. If that had been a yard to the left it would’ve been a great goal (took ball on half turn, cut inside and a good strike)
He is a professional goal scorer footballer, was in control of the ball, and had a clear sight of goal. Has to hit the target

duffer

Maybe Mason after recently coming back from injury was feeling it and it was a wise substitution !!

Which is fair enough, but that's twice on the bounce that we've needed to do it.

I've no problem with him as a player, but if he's not yet fit enough for the full ninety then it means that you're always using a sub to cover him.

There was a point late in the game yesterday where we had one player on the ground injured and one with cramp, and no subs left. If we end up trying to hold onto a narrow lead with ten players, how wise does it look then?

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
My take on yesterday's match.

Southend were organised and for me shaded the first half without really looking like scoring. Had they done so in the first 20 minutes we would have struggled to break them down. Ccfc started to come in to it before half-time and significantly improved first 25 minutes of second half. By the 8th minute of added on time we were hanging on a bit. Overall we looked the most likely to win on the day and deserved a narrow win

Best players for me were sterling , mason, and hiwula

Why move hiwula to the left of midfield beggars belief. Chaplin runs around a lot but achieved little and never looked like scoring, including his glaring first half miss. Hiwula clearly knows where the net is so why make it harder for him when our biggest problem is goals. If MR wanted energy on the left put Chaplin there he wasn't much use in the middle

Overall though a pleasing win and a return to confidence and form

PUSB's

Last edited:

Grendel

Most goalscorers aim for corners as it’s most likely to lead to a goal.

He wasn’t the balk was spinning away from the goal - also goalscorers are especially strong in the penalty area not hopeful long range strikes.

stevefloyd

Which is fair enough, but that's twice on the bounce that we've needed to do it.

I've no problem with him as a player, but if he's not yet fit enough for the full ninety then it means that you're always using a sub to cover him.

There was a point late in the game yesterday where we had one player on the ground injured and one with cramp, and no subs left. If we end up trying to hold onto a narrow lead with ten players, how wise does it look then?
Perhaps with no Brown on the bench he had no choice

Gibbo

Southend were organised and for me shaded the first half without really looking like scoring. Had they done so in the first 20 minutes we would have struggled to break them down. Ccfc started to come in to it before half-time and significantly improved first 25 minutes of second half. By the 8th minute of added on time we were hanging on a bit. Overall we looked the most likely to win on the day and deserved a narrow win

Why move hiwula to the left of midfield beggars belief. Chaplin runs around a lot but achieved little and never looked like scoring, including his glaring first half miss. Hiwula clearly knows where the net is so why make it harder for him when our biggest problem is goals. If MR wanted energy on the left put Chaplin there he wasn't much use in the middle

PUSB's
A new one to add to my list of queries about Chaplin - his positional sense (for a scorer). Look where he was running to before the ball came back to Kelly for the goal) Bayliss was already there down the right flank (he cut back in to take the pass). He can't score unless he is in the box. He was ball watching rather than being aware of the space occupied by others. Aargh

Gibbo

Ps no problem with peole pulling him up for the volleyed chance (still by no means a ‘sitter’ but a very good chance he should’ve scored) but having a go when he created the second effort out of nothing, shooting just wide whilst on the run, is a bit harsh.
He cut back (good) he created space (good) he had a clear site of goal (good) he was not under immediate pressure - because he cut back (good) he shot and missed by 2 yards (I was in line). We all had a go at Hiwula against Posh for similar.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

PUSB's
That's a fair assessment oldskyblue58 .

Have you ever thought about being a football manager ?

Esoterica

Chaplin volley wasn't as easy as being made out, difficult skill to hit a ball dropping over your shoulder.
Thought that too both at the time and on the replays, especially when running. Could he have done better? Yes. But needs perfect technique there to catch that right while on the move. Think people must be judging that on his position on the pitch. For me a decent chance, but by no means a sitter.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
If this is the moment in which they had three in front of our players, with a guy closing down on burge from the angle, then the other two players looked well off-side, and the one in the middle most certainly active. Thought in general the offals didn't have a great game.

Officials were poor, which is unfortunately a common theme now a days, no matter the league

Users who are viewing this thread